Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
kenji_kenji

SUGGESTIOSN TO IMPROVE AND BALANCE CV PLAY :D

8 comments in this topic

Members
35 posts
10,827 battles

As I am sure many of you players and devs are aware, there are still many teething issues with CV play in the game. I do not advocate removing them as that is not within the interests of WG and as a player I feel that the role of CVs does make a difference in gameplay.

Currently playing a CV is too risk free, you and your planes can harrass the enemy at will, even though you lose some squads, knowing how to swap out between squads effectively means you dont have to worry too much about losing planes either.

There is currently no effective counter-play against enemy CV's, as not all ships have def-aa or seaplane fighters or effective AA. and if you are low tier and are the focus for an enemy cv you are pretty much done for.

As such, I can recommend the following:

-Scale torpedo(TB) and dive bomber(DB) damage according to the Tier level of the target. example: at T8 CV makes a torp run on a T6 battleship (BB) the TB's will scale down to do T6 level damage instead of the full T8 damage for that specific target. This allows the T6 ship to not become bullied by higher tier CV's as they tend to be rewarding targets for the lower AA protection and slower to movement. The CV now has the option to attack targets of it's own tier or higher as the damage should be allowed to scaled up by one tier if attacking ships at Tiers higher than itself. eg: T8 cv will do T9 damage against T9 ships. this comes as a risk as well since higher tier AA is more powerful but the player is rewarded for doing more damage.

Using this mechanic will allow CV players to split their firepower between ships instead of leaning towards bullying lower tier ships for easy damage. This will also favour lower tier ships that cannot usually survive an attack by high level CV attacks and make playing against high tier CV less punishing.

-The second suggestion is that there is currently no real effective counter-play against CV's when you are in a CV yourself. The patrol fighter does not have much of an area of effect to be an effective counter. Before the CV rework, the two CV's could duel each other by using their fighter planes tactically to deny or open opportunities and defend friendly ships.

I would suggest that a CV should be able to direct it's patrol fighter to a location either by waypoint or selecting the target friendly ship (similar to how you select targets for secondary guns) of course the patrol fighter would still have a limited action time which is fine, but this would allow the player greater flexibility to deny or open opportunities and protect allied ships. Often times the friendly ships without effective AA would be harassed by planes with no real counter play and enemy planes would fly around to avoid the patrol fighter, this would allow the CV player the option to come to their aid. There should also be an incentive for defending allied ships, perhaps a new ribbon that would give you exp for defending ships from aircraft, instead of a simple 'aircraft shot down' ribbon.

-The third suggestion is to slightly increase the respawn time of planes on the carrier so that the planes take longer to respawn. Currently there is not much risk for attacking ships as a CV as you can lose several squadrons and still be effective at doing damage with other squadrons and attacking weaker ships. From the receiving end of the CV player attack this would mean that during mid and late game there are less aircraft in a squadron to deal with however there is still the threat of still taking damage from a CV attack. Overall this would increase the risk factor of attacking ships and players should be more mindful of how to use their planes.

I hope we can all have a civilised discussion on this topic and that WG will consider these suggestions as improvements and balancing of CV gameplay!:cap_rambo:

Edited by kenji_kenji

Members
19 posts
3,961 battles

My main suggestion to helping with how stupid CV interaction is, is make AA guns slowly repair, they have planes rebuilding constantly, why shouldnt our AA

i shouldnt find myself completely unable to defend against Air attack just cause a Conqueror hit me with an HE salvo and knocked out 80% of my AA guns in one go

and i vote that Fighters should be an option for controllable aircraft, a CV can choose to help protect from air attack and then maybe if they recall the fighter stays in that spot protecting for a short time before returning to the CV,  but that would probably be really wierd and possibly difficult to implement. 

another thing that is very stupid is the "hit Probability" its a stupid stat thats only there to make the AA look more confusing than it is, in reality it just reduces your AA damage if its not 100%, like if ur in a cruiser with 90% hit probability and 100 aa dps, your real dps is just 90, why not just put that real stat there to begin with and get rid of the "Hit Probability" crap

• Cool 2

Members
35 posts
10,827 battles

thanks predator for your input. you also mentioned an issue with the scaling mechanic having an adverse effect on a higher tier dd. perhaps we could limit the damage scaling to ships other than dd's?

[_BDA_]
Members
566 posts
8,979 battles
35 minutes ago, kenji_kenji said:

-Scale torpedo(TB) and dive bomber(DB) damage according to the Tier level of the target. example: at T8 CV makes a torp run on a T6 battleship (BB) the TB's will scale down to do T6 level damage instead of the full T8 damage for that specific target. This allows the T6 ship to not become bullied by higher tier CV's as they tend to be rewarding targets for the lower AA protection and slower to movement. The CV now has the option to attack targets of it's own tier or higher as the damage should be allowed to scaled up by one tier if attacking ships at Tiers higher than itself. eg: T8 cv will do T9 damage against T9 ships. this comes as a risk as well since higher tier AA is more powerful but the player is rewarded for doing more damage.

Using this mechanic will allow CV players to split their firepower between ships instead of leaning towards bullying lower tier ships for easy damage. This will also favour lower tier ships that cannot usually survive an attack by high level CV attacks and make playing against high tier CV less punishing.

Since there are no Tier 9 carriers, and thus no Tier 9 damages, this method would require a +/- of two tiers in all situations.  Situationally, a Tier 6 Ranger is NOT going to do the same damage as Tier 8 Lexington when attacking, say, Tirpitz.  There's a reason Repulse and KGV were sunk so easily by Japanese aircraft, poor AAA and modern anti-ship weapons.

24 minutes ago, xPredatorGodx said:

My main suggestion to helping with how stupid CV interaction is, is make AA guns slowly repair, they have planes rebuilding constantly, why shouldnt our AA

i shouldnt find myself completely unable to defend against Air attack just cause a Conqueror hit me with an HE salvo and knocked out 80% of my AA guns in one go

I agree.  "Damage" might actually only consist of a near miss taking out the crew or temporarily jamming the traverse and elevation mechanisms.  If you can repair a main 14" turret then you should be able to repair some 37mm AAA mounts.

[CVA16]
Members
6,465 posts
20,080 battles
5 hours ago, xPredatorGodx said:

and i vote that Fighters should be an option for controllable aircraft, a CV can choose to help protect from air attack and then maybe if they recall the fighter stays in that spot protecting for a short time before returning to the CV,  but that would probably be really wierd and possibly difficult to implement.

WG decided to not allow the fighters be useable to scout and otherwise a separate attack unit. The opponent has the option to avoid flying into the area screened by the fighters.

My suggestion would be to make the current droppable fighter be also deploy-able to a friendly ship. The fighters would then follow that ship for their duration. This method provides no additional scouting but removes the requirement for the CV player to actually fly his attack unit to the far corners of the map to drop the fighters in time to defend a friendly ship.

[LSNB]
Members
249 posts
7,566 battles

CVs are already balanced in terms of their damage potential and winrates.

The issue is that CVs are incredibly frustrating to play against, in terms of AA interaction and spotting.

In my opinion one of the biggest failures of the CV rework was shifting CV squads to have multiple smaller strikes. This absolutely destroys AA balance. A surface ship is never going to be satisfied with AA unless they deny a strike. This is not possible unless the entire squad is downed, which obviously feels terrible for the CV player. Pre-rework, both parties could at least get some satisfaction. Even if a ship only downs say, half a squad, they can still feel good at cutting the potential damage of the incoming strike in half. The CV player still gets some damage through, even if it was not the full potential.

Now? There's no way to balance AA. Either the surface ship feels bad because they feel AA is ineffective, or the CV player feels bad that they lost their entire squad (unless they eat flak) to uncounterable continuous AA.

As for spotting, I honestly don't like the idea of minimap spotting. I find it hilarious how people rage at needing to be with teammates to pool AA against a CV, but apparently its perfectly fine for a ship without hydro or radar to be totally helpless against a DD without teammates. What I do like is that internal test they had a few weeks ago where they cut DD air detection in half. I feel that CVs should be able to help their team spot DDs and other ships, but it should be harder for them to spot DDs given how disproportionately that class relies on concealment. I think they should go a step further and remove the detection warning for planes. Right now, a CV player can just sweep an area, and ocne they get detected they have a rough idea of where a DD is. With a buff to DD air concealment and removal of Situational Awareness (remember that captain skill?) from planes, it strikes a good balance between making it difficult to spot a DD, but that once they do, they can help their team.

[12TF]
Members
9 posts
5,184 battles

they need to make dds either completely invisible to aircraft or make their concealment very good against aircraft, because that is all carriers attack. gets really annoying being in a dd and getting nuke by a carrier because you do not have enough aa. historically speaking, carriers were designed to face larger capital ships and cruisers, not dds like in the current update of wows. this makes a dds life nearly impossible because they are generally needed farther in front to spot and generally out of the aa range of friendly cruisers. currently carriers are op against dds, and with ships like the FDR coming out i doubt this carrier "balance" will ever be solved. I firmly believe that while the old carrier system was difficult to fight, it was better because that method relied heavily on being close to friendly ships for aa support, but now the carrier will get at least one strike off no matter what. also the fact that carriers have infinite planes is [edited], no carrier ever had that. the old system also made it to where the player had to be very careful with how they flew their planes to and from the target zones so as not to get caught by enemy aa, now they have an altitude they can get to where they are safe, again unrealistic because many of the planes could not fly at 6km therefore aa would still work. also carriers have very good concealment which again is very unrealistic, carriers were some of the easiest ships to spot because of how large of a silhouette they were.

Sign in to follow this