Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Sgt_West

Spotted in smoke without firing

10 comments in this topic

Members
2 posts
3,147 battles

I was playing Defense of Naval Station Newport in a Trento. I was being targeted by too many ships so I stopped firing and popped smoke. However I remained spotted even without firing. This happened twice in the game and lead to my death. Is there some reason I was being spotted or is it a bug?

Trento Glitch.wowsreplay

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,808 posts
21,731 battles

I didn't watch the replay, but the one thing that'll get / keep you spotted while in smoke is proximity.

[CVA16]
Members
6,483 posts
20,100 battles
4 minutes ago, KnifeInUrNeck said:

It’s not a glitch. The smoke firing penalty for Italian cruisers is pretty severe. It’s not to be used like a DD.

I agree it can be really difficult to use Italian smoke when faced with a charging enemy (like bots are programmed to do). The firing penalty is just too big and they are always getting closer. That 20 seconds to go dark can seem an eternity. This can make them sub-optimal ships to use in scenarios. Their smoke is often useless and they don't have hydro. And Newport is a b*tch to begin with.

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,967 battles
Just now, Sabot_100 said:

I agree it can be really difficult to use Italian smoke when faced with a charging enemy (like bots are programmed to do). The firing penalty is just too big and they are always getting closer. That 20 seconds to go dark can seem an eternity. This can make them sub-optimal ships to use in scenarios. Their smoke is often useless and they don't have hydro. And Newport is a b*tch to begin with.

To piggy back off this, the smoke firing penalty is 20 secs regardless of when you popped that smoke...

• Cool 1

[CVA16]
Members
6,483 posts
20,100 battles
5 minutes ago, Cpt_Cupcake said:

To piggy back off this, the smoke firing penalty is 20 secs regardless of when you popped that smoke..

Can't watch the replay to be sure but this is what I suspect was the issue. If the enemy is already at proximity spotting ranges, its already over.

[THREE]
Members
2,151 posts
10,967 battles
15 minutes ago, Sabot_100 said:

Can't watch the replay to be sure but this is what I suspect was the issue. If the enemy is already at proximity spotting ranges, its already over.

Yeah, it was lesson I learned mid game as well.

Members
9,225 posts
12,269 battles

The RM Cruisers smoke firing penalty is severe, and this is because the smoke isn't meant to be used for offense, it's meant to be used to reposition and break away from the enemy. It's better to be a good 10km away in RM cruisers when in smoke, anyway. This puts you outside the penalty for the entire line.

Members
2 posts
3,147 battles

Gotcha I was aware that I would be spotted if i fired in smoke.However I had assumed that I would go undetected as soon as I smoked up whether or not I had fired previously. I did realize I had to wait 20 second. Thank you all.

[KAPPA]
Members
3,126 posts
9,284 battles
On 8/17/2020 at 7:13 PM, Sgt_West said:

Gotcha I was aware that I would be spotted if i fired in smoke.However I had assumed that I would go undetected as soon as I smoked up whether or not I had fired previously. I did realize I had to wait 20 second. Thank you all.

Years ago, popping smoke would have done that. However, then they added smoke bloom, which just reduces the regular bloom.

Sign in to follow this