You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Angstroms

FDR: How do you think of Roosevelt?

16 comments in this topic

[WNNR]
Members
35 posts
8,628 battles

As more testers bring this CV into Random, several thoughts have emerged from me and my in-game friends. A first impression is, generally, that the planes are hard to shoot down and each attack drop (especially torps and rockets) does a lot of damage. According to WS's designers, this is, at least they believe, balanced by the mediocre cruising speed so the overall damage output is not over-powered.

For me, I ran against this ship for around 10 times these days, and during the games where I was the target, it felt like hell to me. It is frequent that I was in a 40k hp BB/25k hp cruiser and got sent back to port with 2-3 squadrons, each of which can at least make 2 drops. Yet from the end-game scoreboard, I notice their scores are not usually the top one (reflecting that they can't make too many attack runs). I'm not here to complain about it since, even if a lot of people do, the game designers probably still won't care. However, a couple of questions from me:

1. How do you think of it? Especially experienced players or Unicorns. Is it too OP, or reasonably OP as a steel ship?

2. Any way to lessen the damage from it? I'm tried to group our AA but it didn't seem to work well. Also, I know one reply will be "just dodge" so don't bother. 

3. For CCs and STs, is the test near the end phase? will this ship be brought up in a similar form as the existing one? 

Thanks for your attention and reply!

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

the ship looks like a super kaga for the usn.

lots of planes on a single squadron,but the regeneration wont allow them to attack at full strength if they simply YOLO through AA ships.

• Cool 3

[D33P6]
Members
572 posts

I've seen it a few times in random battles.

In its current state, I don't think it will be balanced.  It requires some changes.  The speed of the aircraft are just a tad slower than Midways and if its going to be balancing factor they'll need to be slower.  I would keep in mind that some players will say its OP just because its a CV.

As far as I know the ship is still in testing and under NDA.  The players who have first hand experience playing it will not be allowed to talk about it.

We had a discussion on it in a previous thread.  Here is the link if you want to read through it.

Edited by HeadSplit120
  • Cool 1

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,664 battles

It's basically been confirmed that it's less Kaga and more Saipan. It has horrendous hanger space and awful plane regen apparently.

• Cool 1

[BONKS]
Members
2,853 posts
52 battles

Unless they changed the attack cd or alpha strike FDR is terrible as her damage potential is severely lacking in comparison to other meta CVs. This is because unlike other CVs FDR needs to wait a massive 25 seconds before her squads can reengage in addition to having slower planes to begin with which is not compensated by superior alpha strike.

If we simply compare FDR ordinance to Midway we get the following results:

In terms of TBs FDR throws out 8 torps with 4233 alpha whereas Midway gets 6 torps with 5067 alpha. This means total alpha strike is marginally different between 33864 for FDR and 30402 for Midway. And Midway gets to attack twice in the time FDR cycles one attack, meaning in reality we're comparing 33864 alpha with 60804.
As you can see FDR has pathetic torpedoes.

For DBs both use the same bomb with 11.2k alpha which gives us 3733 damage per unsaturated penetration. FDR simply throws out 8 compared to Midway's 6, giving them 29864 and 22398 total damage respectively. However afaik FDR bombers actually use level bombing which makes them far less reliable and much more difficult to use. And again, we have to compare 1 FDR attack to 2 Midway attacks, where we get 29864 vs. 44796.
So FDR has meh bombers at best.
As a sidenote Midway can enhance her alpha by 10% to 12320 via the UU but sacrifices HP/speed of other squads for it. This gives her 4107 damage per penetration for a total of 24640 damage.

And finally for the rockets both use the same HVARs with 2k alpha each, causing 667 damage on an unsaturated penetration. FDR throws out 60 while Midway gets 30 if she elects to use them, dealing 40020 and 20010 total damage respectively (though it should be noted that it is practically impossible for all rockets to hit and deal damage). FDR rockets however have a far worse attack prep time and the speed of the rockets is also much slower, both of which limits their utility against DDs. Still, I've seen clips of FDR rocket planes causing severe damage on one pass, but obviously nothing that Midway couldn't do in 2 which is once again the comparison point.
FDR again draws the short straw here, albeit not as severely as with the other two plane types. The damage potential is pretty much the same, but Midway rocket planes provide more utility than FDR ones.

And finally in terms of sustain I'd say both are roughly equal. FDR planes might be extremely tanky but Midway has faster planes, reducing AA exposure, and much faster regen. Deck reserves are literally the same.
It should be noted that fast regen is actually preferable over high HP when it comes down to it since catapult fighters shoot down planes on a 1 for 1 basis regardless of how much HP said planes have.

In conclusion FDR as per her public stats might actually be the worst T10 CV currently in existence. And unless WG severely increases her alpha strike or reduces/removes the 25s attack cd that's gonna stay that way.

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles
2 hours ago, Yandere_Roon said:

It's basically been confirmed that it's less Kaga and more Saipan. It has horrendous hanger space and awful plane regen apparently.

The hangar restoration time is indeed horrendous on FDR compared to Midway.

FDR / Midway restoration times.

Attack Planes: 114 seconds / 82 seconds

Bombers:  131 / 76

Torpedo Bombers:  141 / 99

The planes are tough, carry lots of ordnance, but they're also terribly slow.

It also seems amusing to use the special Ovechkin captain that has improved SE trait.  It gives the planes +400 HP / tier instead of the usual +350.  Play around with traits and upgrades, those are some seriously beefy aircraft.

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

Looking at it, I think potatos will do relatively well in it due to the sheer durability of the planes as long as they watch out for fighters. The ceiling on it is going to hella low though and I think good or unicum players would be better off in other CVs.

[CLUMP]
Members
1,892 posts
2,412 battles
9 hours ago, El2aZeR said:

Unless they changed the attack cd or alpha strike FDR is terrible as her damage potential is severely lacking in comparison to other meta CVs. This is because unlike other CVs FDR needs to wait a massive 25 seconds before her squads can reengage in addition to having slower planes to begin with which is not compensated by superior alpha strike.

If we simply compare FDR ordinance to Midway we get the following results:

In terms of TBs FDR throws out 8 torps with 4233 alpha whereas Midway gets 6 torps with 5067 alpha. This means total alpha strike is marginally different between 33864 for FDR and 30402 for Midway. And Midway gets to attack twice in the time FDR cycles one attack, meaning in reality we're comparing 33864 alpha with 60804.
As you can see FDR has pathetic torpedoes.

For DBs both use the same bomb with 11.2k alpha which gives us 3733 damage per unsaturated penetration. FDR simply throws out 8 compared to Midway's 6, giving them 29864 and 22398 total damage respectively. However afaik FDR bombers actually use level bombing which makes them far less reliable and much more difficult to use. And again, we have to compare 1 FDR attack to 2 Midway attacks, where we get 29864 vs. 44796.
So FDR has meh bombers at best.
As a sidenote Midway can enhance her alpha by 10% to 12320 via the UU but sacrifices HP/speed of other squads for it. This gives her 4107 damage per penetration for a total of 24640 damage.

And finally for the rockets both use the same HVARs with 2k alpha each, causing 667 damage on an unsaturated penetration. FDR throws out 60 while Midway gets 30 if she elects to use them, dealing 40020 and 20010 total damage respectively (though it should be noted that it is practically impossible for all rockets to hit and deal damage). FDR rockets however have a far worse attack prep time and the speed of the rockets is also much slower, both of which limits their utility against DDs. Still, I've seen clips of FDR rocket planes causing severe damage on one pass, but obviously nothing that Midway couldn't do in 2 which is once again the comparison point.
FDR again draws the short straw here, albeit not as severely as with the other two plane types. The damage potential is pretty much the same, but Midway rocket planes provide more utility than FDR ones.

And finally in terms of sustain I'd say both are roughly equal. FDR planes might be extremely tanky but Midway has faster planes, reducing AA exposure, and much faster regen. Deck reserves are literally the same.
It should be noted that fast regen is actually preferable over high HP when it comes down to it since catapult fighters shoot down planes on a 1 for 1 basis regardless of how much HP said planes have.

In conclusion FDR as per her public stats might actually be the worst T10 CV currently in existence. And unless WG severely increases her alpha strike or reduces/removes the 25s attack cd that's gonna stay that way.

When seeing the stats of FDR you poor bastard what they have done to you :Smile_sad:

c1XSOrw.gif

[CLUMP]
Members
1,892 posts
2,412 battles
1 minute ago, Praise_Ashley_Sky said:

The ship is balanced and makes your game more complex.  Stop asking questions or go to gulag.

Been useless is balance  :Smile_popcorn: Having horrible plane regen horrible hangar size been slow and been able to attack every 23 seconds while being shred by AA is balance :Smile_sceptic:

• Cool 1

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
10 hours ago, Angstroms said:

As more testers bring this CV into Random, several thoughts have emerged from me and my in-game friends. A first impression is, generally, that the planes are hard to shoot down and each attack drop (especially torps and rockets) does a lot of damage. According to WS's designers, this is, at least they believe, balanced by the mediocre cruising speed so the overall damage output is not over-powered.

For me, I ran against this ship for around 10 times these days, and during the games where I was the target, it felt like hell to me. It is frequent that I was in a 40k hp BB/25k hp cruiser and got sent back to port with 2-3 squadrons, each of which can at least make 2 drops. Yet from the end-game scoreboard, I notice their scores are not usually the top one (reflecting that they can't make too many attack runs). I'm not here to complain about it since, even if a lot of people do, the game designers probably still won't care. However, a couple of questions from me:

1. How do you think of it? Especially experienced players or Unicorns. Is it too OP, or reasonably OP as a steel ship?

2. Any way to lessen the damage from it? I'm tried to group our AA but it didn't seem to work well. Also, I know one reply will be "just dodge" so don't bother. 

3. For CCs and STs, is the test near the end phase? will this ship be brought up in a similar form as the existing one? 

Thanks for your attention and reply!

I always had in mind FDR is OP, but as you explained about the final, numbers you made me think in the opposite way...

If He does a huge damage on one or 2 ships, but cant hurt others cause it does not make many runs... it isnt op, in fact just against a single target...

1. No, you proved it isnt. 

2. Her planes are the strongest, no way you can avoid in a dif way then others

3. They cant say anything NDA.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
10 hours ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Yeah! Powerfull planes but lacks numbers.

[SGSS]
Members
6,220 posts

I have seen it 3 times and it lost every game.  The torp spread is pointless. The rockets are great for grouped up ships but thats it.  The bombs are level and that is very easy to dodge. It felt like I could run away from the planes with speed boost in Henry.

25 sec between launch.

I was saving RB points but it seems like a very worthless cv in terms of fun.

While "fun" factor might be less satisfaction levels might increase its more complicated to use.

Wont know for sure until we actually get to see it.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,359 posts
6,968 battles

I've faced it several times, they typically try and CV snipe.

Outside of that, it's nothing special.

Alpha Tester
16 posts
10,256 battles

I've played against an FDR about ten times. Only one seemed to be particularly useful, getting a few strikes on "Ocean." The other nine times? Not even super unicorns seemed to be able to do anything with it.

Having not played it, I can't give an accurate testament on whats wrong with it, but I'd guess the plane concealment is too low and the alpha strikes too low. From a design perspective it sounds like WG wants to make it the "Shimakaze" of CV's, except it's strikes are, while higher than normal CV's, not as powerful as a Shimakaze torpedo strikes and it's planes can be spotted from 8 miles out. That, coupled with being unable to deploy patrol fighters as well as other CV's with faster planes, means its probably impossible to balance unless WG raises its alpha damage and increases concealment, which they're probably unwilling to do lest they enrage the playerbase. One could argue though a player's experience of getting dev-struck is actually preferable to getting repeatably struck in twelve, fifteen attacks by current CV's, and tortured to death over a four minute period.