You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TaxDollarsAtWork

Need help with USN BB guns

8 comments in this topic

[NSEW]
Members
528 posts
4,270 battles

Hello I'm sort of new to the game and this is my first BB line, I'm up the Colorado and played some rental Massachusetts.

But there is something I am having trouble with and that is my aim, particularly getting citadels on other battleships.

I understand that up close I need to aim at the waterline or below that for citadel hits, and such advice has served me well in cruiser / some DD play.

But for some ships excluding say things with turtle back armour schemes I simply an unable to get Citadels at further ranges where they are flat broadside etc or where the plunging fire should in theory punch through the top layer of the citadel plating, which is very thin on some battleships.

My aim seems to be good enough in most cases to get a decent amount of normal pens, once in a blue moon I do get a citadel further than say 6 or 9km on a BB

I just can't seem to reliably make it happen. I hope more seasoned BB players can clear things up here, or provide any kind of BB advice my play seems a little unsatisfactory at the moment.

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

i believe RNG can make or break in your citadel hit quests,but the shell trajectory and their fusing timers too.

for example

roma shells are very fast,so much that you risk getting overpen because of the ludicrous speed.

other ships have shells with shorter fusing times,that helps against cruisers and battleships with thin hull.

you might see videos of people scoring citadels everytime,but that is not happening every match,they are more of "highlights"

oh and some ships have underwater citadel,making your work harder at close range but easier at long range,since the shells can plunge in the armor.

Edited by Cruxdei

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,605 posts
23,084 battles

Examine the armor layout of the ships you are having problems with in port and try to understand where their weak points are.

Not obvious, but it will help.

Also watch YouTube videos of iChase, Flamu, Flambass or Notser reviwing those ships, they usually do an analysis of the armor schemes.

Hope this helps

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,306 posts
4,773 battles
17 hours ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

But for some ships excluding say things with turtle back armour schemes I simply an unable to get Citadels at further ranges where they are flat broadside etc or where the plunging fire should in theory punch through the top layer of the citadel plating, which is very thin on some battleships.

You have discovered the "immunity zone" designed into battleships and somewhat modeled in WoWs.  The range to target determines the angle of impact of shells, and the armor is designed to make the citadel nearly immune to shells falling in a certain range of angles.  Beyond the zone the target receives "plunging fire" that defeats the armor but the ranges for that are too long for WoWs maps and most BB shell arcs. Inside the zone, where the BB isn't designed to fight, energies are higher and the arcs flatter so citadels are more likely.

With a target in its immunity zone, continue to select shell type by target orientation, but don't expect BB citadels.  (Then you might be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.)  And work on your aim.

[NSEW]
Members
528 posts
4,270 battles
3 hours ago, iDuckman said:

You have discovered the "immunity zone" designed into battleships and somewhat modeled in WoWs.  The range to target determines the angle of impact of shells, and the armor is designed to make the citadel nearly immune to shells falling in a certain range of angles.  Beyond the zone the target receives "plunging fire" that defeats the armor but the ranges for that are too long for WoWs maps and most BB shell arcs. Inside the zone, where the BB isn't designed to fight, energies are higher and the arcs flatter so citadels are more likely.

With a target in its immunity zone, continue to select shell type by target orientation, but don't expect BB citadels.  (Then you might be pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.)  And work on your aim.

Thanks this is what I was looking for

About the 2nd part I should shoot HE ( at the SC ) only if the angle would mean to many bounces / and I can't pen the ship through the nose or rear correct? 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,306 posts
4,773 battles
3 hours ago, TaxDollarsAtWork said:

About the 2nd part I should shoot HE ( at the SC ) only if the angle would mean to many bounces / and I can't pen the ship through the nose or rear correct? 

Generally, yes.  Also, for cruisers and DDs, HE if the shell can't penetrate the broadside. But be careful there: some cruiser shells can pen e.g. casemate from the side, and high-arc shells can penetrate decks.  For BBs, though, generally it's angle.

Edited by iDuckman

[CDOH]
Members
908 posts
8,510 battles

First Download and Install the World of Warships Mod station.  Install the Nomagram classic crosshair .  This reticle will give you accurate time to distance leads.  Stock dynamic crosshair overestimates at distance and under up close.   This will really help you hit more at distance.  Second i would suggest watching Tutorials from Noster and Flamu.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,951 posts
26,039 battles

FYI, OP.  There is zero Plunging Fire in WoWS.

On 4/23/2020 at 12:37 AM, SireneRacker said:

Plunging fire in this game is not really a thing. This is an image of a Yamato firing at a GK at long range:

image.thumb.png.da97759653768f256d24575e0e142baa.png

A protractor on my screen gives me an angle of 30° between the shell tracer on the left and the horizon. Now guess the range~

Answer:

Reveal hidden contents

Almost 34km

image.thumb.png.f0b48110648b7a5d819fafb63b5ba0fb.png

Not that absurd to hit the torpedo defense when the shells still hit at a relatively shallow angle, and would be more likely to bounce from the deck than penetrate it (can even see one bounce from the turret roof).