Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Chain_shot

Think I know where Wows is going with the game

23 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,884
[46856]
Members
2,039 posts

It's a combination of the best of both worlds and fits into the game meta. - And its historic.

It was real and not  a paper ship, 3 were built and sunk off Hawaii after the war by the US Navy.

 

It combines what we as players love about both classes of ships in game.  It will be an all round success when it comes out in 2021.

 

Just imagine this in game. There is no way to say its not historically accurate when it is.

Edited by Chain_shot
  • Funny 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,073
[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,352 posts
6,944 battles

We haven't even gotten Ise yet...so....

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,884
[46856]
Members
2,039 posts
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

We haven't even gotten Ise yet...so....

It'll be a new release premium release at the same time.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,678
Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles
14 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

It'll be a new release premium release at the same time.

let them release the aviation BBs first,before mixing with the experimental class subs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
315
[REKTD]
Members
638 posts
11,254 battles

It’s funny, I was just thinking about Ise, Mogami (post conversion/ C hull?) and Tone. How could they bring those ships in? I also think second And subsequent salvoes while the scout plane is up could receive better dispersion values.

My thought was that they would get both scout and fighter plane consumables, with a longer duration. 
The sub launched planes I have not cracked yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,884
[46856]
Members
2,039 posts

Man these things would generate more hate on this board than a Sith lord.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,763
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,850 posts
25,982 battles
36 minutes ago, Chain_shot said:

Man these things would generate more hate on this board than a Sith lord.

 

People in this game think anything that scratches their paint is OP.

So whether they will hate it or not is irrelevant.

 

On the subject of I-400 is this old, archived web page about a USN submarine officer who was XO of the prize crew to take over I-400 and bringing her to Hawaii after the Japanese surrender.

"The Transpacific Voyage of HIJMS I-400"

fig06t.jpg

"shows the I-400 striking her colors at sea to Commander Hiram Cassedy U.S.N. (right)"

There's quite a bit going on before he returned to the US aboard I-400, including his encounters with IJN sailors and officers, as well as gathering examples of naval weapons, i.e. Oxygen Torpedoes.  Great read.

 

"After much climbing around in wrecked buildings, and sloshing through the mud in dark, dripping caves, I assembled all of the requested ordnance for shipment back to the states.  Some of the large Japanese torpedoes now on display in New London came from my collection.  My Japanese torpedo expert used a procedure new to me to bleed the pure oxygen charge from an oil-coated Long Lance torpedo.  I wondered how he would do this in view of the obvious fire and explosion hazard from mixing oil and oxygen.  The operation proved to be simple.  The torpedo was carted to the middle of an open field, where a junior rating was handed a wrench and instructed to open the oxygen valve after the rest of us had retreated to a safe distance; in response to a shouted order he spun open the valve and darted to safety.  High pressure oxygen whistled out around the oily torpedo, but there was no fire or explosion - that time.  It was far safer to go into combat armed with that mighty Japanese oxygen torpedo, though, than with our Bureau of Ordnance's poorly designed and inadequately tested Mark 14s and 18s, which sank at least two of our own submarines through lack of an anti-circular-run mechanism."

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,408
[SIMP]
Members
1,670 posts
1 hour ago, SuperComm4 said:

It’s funny, I was just thinking about Ise, Mogami (post conversion/ C hull?) and Tone. How could they bring those ships in? I also think second And subsequent salvoes while the scout plane is up could receive better dispersion values.

My thought was that they would get both scout and fighter plane consumables, with a longer duration. 
The sub launched planes I have not cracked yet.

See this thread: https://forum.worldofwarships.com/topic/213261-historic-ijn-hybrid-aviation-vessels/

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,755
[NONE]
Members
3,880 posts
11,999 battles

As long as we're doing a wish list of nonsense, I want a dirigible tender for my USS Shenandoah.

image.png.8b8fbf374b529ce554ca175e8c0299ac.png

  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,440
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,763 posts
25,521 battles
6 hours ago, Chain_shot said:

Man these things would generate more hate on this board than a Sith lord.

What a submarine carrying planes would stir up trouble? Inconceivable. Preposterous. 

  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
728
[PROJX]
Beta Testers
1,221 posts
5,378 battles
7 hours ago, SuperComm4 said:

It’s funny, I was just thinking about Ise, Mogami (post conversion/ C hull?) and Tone. How could they bring those ships in? I also think second And subsequent salvoes while the scout plane is up could receive better dispersion values.

My thought was that they would get both scout and fighter plane consumables, with a longer duration. 
The sub launched planes I have not cracked yet.

The new dev blog showed an ASW plane being able to be controlled and told where to strike. If that goes through, maybe that way? 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,763
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,850 posts
25,982 battles
16 minutes ago, MajesticTwelve said:

I'm sure you just gave them the idea. WTG.

Hybrid aviation ships have long been tossed around in the forums, even back in Open Beta when I joined up.

Tone-class

Ise-class

I-400s

 

This is going to be nothing new with WG.  Matter of fact, years ago WG even had a model for Tone tucked away in the game that dataminers found.

The video below is from October 2015.  The game launched September that year.

 

Tone.jpg

f0d91297a370a9ab1dad9efd882b6e5f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,440
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,763 posts
25,521 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Hybrid aviation ships have long been tossed around in the forums, even back in Open Beta when I joined up.

Tone-class

Ise-class

I-400s

This is going to be nothing new with WG.  Matter of fact, years ago WG even had a model for Tone tucked away in the game that dataminers found.

Using the old RTS system, you probably could get a hybrid ship into the game because you had the auto attack feature of aircraft. A player could launch the planes, set a target for them and then go back to fighting their ship using guns. The reason it didn't work was the AI would take the aircraft in the most direct route, often getting slaughtered in the process and accomplishing very little. You had the same outcome if your AI controlled planes ran into human controlled fighters. They could have just allowed the planes to be controlled by the player as normal and the ship set on a AI controlled course but the ship would only defend itself with secondary arms, totally negating its main battery. 

With the carrier rework and the way things are done, I just don't see how they could make it work well in the game. You could possibly shoehorn it in and do the "AI controlled ship and human controlled aircraft" but your damage output would be pretty pathetic. With carrier AI it is kind of simple. You set a general course and the AI keeps that course (usually) unless it starts taking fire. The AI then moves it in the safest direction away from the enemy. You could probably teach the AI how to kite much like the bots did in co-op when they introduced the improved AI several times before but am guessing that players would rather control their own ship and guns. It is entirely possible to get the hybrid ships in the game, the question is just how effective they would be and would players enjoy them.  I suppose they could reintroduce the auto attack feature of aircraft too. I think the best way of getting them into the game is to make all the aircraft on these hybrid ships fighters, no attack aircraft. You could launch your squadrons, click on enemy planes and let the AI attack them very much the way you could do under the RTS system. It wasn't as efficient as strafing but it gave you a way to counter enemy attack planes while you focused in on manual attacks with your own attack aircraft. 

Edited by Taylor3006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,763
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,850 posts
25,982 battles
6 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Using the old RTS system, you probably could get a hybrid ship into the game because you had the auto attack feature of aircraft. A player could launch the planes, set a target for them and then go back to fighting their ship using guns. The reason it didn't work was the AI would take the aircraft in the most direct route, often getting slaughtered in the process and accomplishing very little. You had the same outcome if your AI controlled planes ran into human controlled fighters. They could have just allowed the planes to be controlled by the player as normal and the ship set on a AI controlled course but the ship would only defend itself with secondary arms, totally negating its main battery. 

With the carrier rework and the way things are done, I just don't see how they could make it work well in the game. You could possibly shoehorn it in and do the "AI controlled ship and human controlled aircraft" but your damage output would be pretty pathetic. With carrier AI it is kind of simple. You set a general course and the AI keeps that course (usually) unless it starts taking fire. The AI then moves it in the safest direction away from the enemy. You could probably teach the AI how to kite much like the bots did in co-op when they introduced the improved AI several times before but am guessing that players would rather control their own ship and guns. It is entirely possible to get the hybrid ships in the game, the question is just how effective they would be and would players enjoy them. 

RTS era was the best time to have implemented them.

You could set waypoints in the RTS era with aircraft controls, holding down SHIFT and clicking on the minimap, and even hold SHIFT again and click on the target to set for auto-attack at the end of all the waypoints.

 

Of course, none of this matters anymore as RTS CV controls are gone.  The CV Rebork controls demand 100% attention to aircraft use, so it's just not feasible anymore.

You can play Co-op and see the CV AI can't hit sh*t.  However, if you go into Training Room and set the CV AI to Hard, it's a very different story.  Usually in Co-op I could go around in my DD and the CV AI can't hit me at all.  I even used to go to Training Room against 3 Tier X Hard AI Carriers against my 1 Shima, and those 3 bots combined couldn't hit me.  After some update a while ago, I tried that against Hard AI Carriers and the Midways, Hakuryus, etc. were actually hitting me on first attack runs with rockets, etc.  I was like, "OH ****!"

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,440
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,763 posts
25,521 battles
59 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

RTS era was the best time to have implemented them.

Of course, none of this matters anymore as RTS CV controls are gone.  The CV Rebork controls demand 100% attention to aircraft use, so it's just not feasible anymore.

Yeah, that is pretty much what I think, I was just kind of brainstorming in my earlier post. It got me to thinking and did some searching. Read the Wiki on Tone and then discovered that the other Tank/Ship/Plane game (I can not believe they censored that)  has the Tone in the game so watched some videos and did some reading about how they handled it. It is kind of funny. The ship is in the game, it has the planes on the deck, but they appear to be nothing more than decoration... I had not thought of that as an option so there that is. Fairly disappointing IMHO. 

EDIT: Just did some more searching and found that Warships Blitz has the Ise in the game and it looks like they did the RTS style of aircraft use there. You switch back and forth between normal ship view (to fire your guns) and the old RTS system of carrier play..... It actually looks interesting and fun to play. It is a shame they went with the carrier rework, this would have been a blast. 

Edited by Taylor3006

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12,763
[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,850 posts
25,982 battles
2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

Yeah, that is pretty much what I think, I was just kind of brainstorming in my earlier post. It got me to thinking and did some searching. Read the Wiki on Tone and then discovered that the other Tank/Ship/Plane game (I can not believe they censored that)  has the Tone in the game so watched some videos and did some reading about how they handled it. It is kind of funny. The ship is in the game, it has the planes on the deck, but they appear to be nothing more than decoration... I had not thought of that as an option so there that is. Fairly disappointing IMHO. 

EDIT: Just did some more searching and found that Warships Blitz has the Ise in the game and it looks like they did the RTS style of aircraft use there. You switch back and forth between normal ship view (to fire your guns) and the old RTS system of carrier play..... It actually looks interesting and fun to play. It is a shame they went with the carrier rework, this would have been a blast. 

I remember how psyched up people were when Tone was datamined in the game in 2015.  Well... we're 3/4 of the way done with 2020.  No closer to having her or Chikuma in the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,440
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
9,763 posts
25,521 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I remember how psyched up people were when Tone was datamined in the game in 2015.  Well... we're 3/4 of the way done with 2020.  No closer to having her or Chikuma in the game.

After watching the Blitz video of how the Ise played, I was kind of excited. I loved the old RTS system and started pondering downloading it. Then I looked at the controls on the screen and thought better of it. Looks like it is made for tablets/phones as it has that dorky look about it. It was really enjoyable remembering how the old carriers played and seeing a hybrid of battleship and carrier in action was super cool. I would have loved it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,255
[BEA5T]
Members
5,282 posts
23,920 battles
2 hours ago, Taylor3006 said:

After watching the Blitz video of how the Ise played, I was kind of excited. I loved the old RTS system and started pondering downloading it. Then I looked at the controls on the screen and thought better of it. Looks like it is made for tablets/phones as it has that dorky look about it. It was really enjoyable remembering how the old carriers played and seeing a hybrid of battleship and carrier in action was super cool. I would have loved it. 

I heard the Ise was in Blitz and my grandson wandered over and showed me how well that ship does.   We've been talking about the I-400 now since the first breath of Subs......

I have always wondered why WoPs and WoWs haven't made a "cooperative mode" where WoPs pilot would actually fly the Carrier's planes (in sections, not individual planes?)  Now that, would lead us to another plane of existence !!!  Oh, that's bad :Smile_facepalm:    sorry.

Imagine that AA radar and picket ships would have to be created and the battle of Midway became a "real mode of play" between the two games.  Might take a reservation time because of the wait times BUT, wouldn't that be fun!  Zero's actually intercepting the SBD's and TBF's........ 

Sorry, I worked and played in SIMs and have an degree in Innovation........  I allowed my brain to actually work: too much coffee this AM.........apologies.     @Hapa_Fodder your thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×