You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

So what would you do?

28 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

You're in a non-capping DD like the Asashio. Indeed you might be the only DD in the game. You're doing your thang when someone who doesn't understand that there are different types of DDs starts demanding that you cap. 

I personally continue doing what I'm supposed to do and even add spotting.  But there is no way that I'm going to suicide as some would like me to.

So what do you do?

:cap_hmm:

[NGA-B]
[NGA-B]
Beta Testers
199 posts
11,094 battles
6 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

You're in a non-capping DD like the Asashio. Indeed you might be the only DD in the game. You're doing your thang when someone who doesn't understand that there are different types of DDs starts demanding that you cap. 

I personally continue doing what I'm supposed to do and even add spotting.  But there is no way that I'm going to suicide as some would like me to.

So what do you do?

Depending whether there are radar ships nearby and/or a CV in the match, I would attempt to cap since your detect is super low (usually 5.4km).  It also depends on your available targets and if they're in range or angles to your 20km torps.  I've had success in capping but I would also politely remind your teammate of the dangers per above in the game chat if they think you're "not doing your job".  I'm a DD main and I agree - committing solo suicide is not part of my game strategy.

[B_Y_F]
Members
700 posts
15,965 battles

Cap in all cost. 

First, Asashio is amazing at capping objectives if you know where those radar ship and CV focus are. Best in tier concealment gives you full vision control. 

Second, if I loss my ship in the process because of no support from those who complained. I feel lucky that I can escape from those "useful" teammates. 

• Meh 1

[O7]
Members
1,037 posts
6,178 battles

Id mute chat

Imagine listening to random teammates

The biggest irony is when people say the following two phrases

"My team sucks"

"This is a team game"

If you know your team sucks then why play the team game?

Do what's best for yourself and do your own best effort to carry.

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 1

[MHG]
Members
457 posts
23,035 battles

I honestly am not sure why you would think that Asashio is not a capping DD. Usually non capping DDs are the ones with really bad detect, such as the Khaba and Kleber. Even then, if it is a single DD match, I wait to see where the other DD is going and contest the other caps.

• Cool 1

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
25 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So what do you do?

If you’re in Asashio, and he’s in a BB, the solution readily presents itself.

[DPG]
Members
2,085 posts
11,730 battles

I wait to see where the cv and radar ships are going to be and if it's safe I cap.  Asashio has 5.4 detection?  That's precisely the type of DD that should take a cap, when safe to do so.  Skirting around the outside of the map hoping to hit bbs is why that ship is actually pretty stupid.  Go and cap does not mean yolo into a pile of ships and die.

[HARU]
Beta Testers
117 posts
6,445 battles

Why would you think asashio can't cap? It has great concealment. just play smart. You can't ALWAYS cap but you should be trying when its relatively safe. I don't understand people that think a ship can't do multiple things(ie IJN torp boats can't shoot and such).

[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,250 posts

Asashio isn't the best gun boat in the world so you don't want to go looking for a knife fight but, it has great stealth.  It's a ghost. Especially if you are the only DD in the game, there is 0 reason that you can't cap.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,659 posts
10,453 battles
2 minutes ago, Burnsy said:

Asashio isn't the best gun boat in the world....

I love the IJN DD guns. You won't win any DPS prizes, but those guns are very reliable, and can take off a surprising amount of HP in a single salvo.

[12TF]
9,250 posts
12 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I love the IJN DD guns. You won't win any DPS prizes, but those guns are very reliable, and can take off a surprising amount of HP in a single salvo.

Yep, they hit hard, but they are slow.  Like I said, I don't go looking to get into a 1v1 gun fight with the Asahio but it has concealment on it's side.  No reason you can't take a cap in an Asashio, especially if it's uncontested.

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts
45 minutes ago, OnociTsalk said:

I honestly am not sure why you would think that Asashio is not a capping DD. Usually non capping DDs are the ones with really bad detect, such as the Khaba and Kleber. Even then, if it is a single DD match, I wait to see where the other DD is going and contest the other caps.

Why?

Well, from what I have heard most IJN DDs are bad at capping* because they have very slow moving turrets.  DDs with fast guns are far better suited for the job. Moreover, you need torps you can use for red DDs sitting in the cap in smoke.  Asashio's can only hit BBs and carriers so they are useless early on.

Finally if used right, the Asashio is a great long range assassin if it survives long enough. Why risk such an asset in the first 5 minutes of the game?

* Some of the new IJN DDs added over the past couple of years with faster turrets and normal torps might be decent early cappers.

[12TF]
9,250 posts
2 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Why?

Well, from what I have heard most IJN DDs are bad at capping* because they have very slow moving turrets.  DDs with fast guns are far better suited for the job. Moreover, you need torps you can use for red DDs sitting in the cap in smoke.  Asashio's can only hit BBs and carriers so they are useless early on.

Finally if used right, the Asashio is a great long range assassin if it survives long enough. Why risk such an asset in the first 5 minutes of the game?

* Some of the new IJN DDs added over the past couple of years with faster turrets and normal torps might be decent early cappers.

Nothing is a set rule and you have to look at each situation.  If a cap is not turning red and/or there are few other DDs in the game, there is no threat to you.  If you can take a cap while staying out of detection range, take it.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,803 posts
21,705 battles
1 hour ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So what do you do?

Go cap. Especially if I'm the only one in a position to do so. A good player does what's needed, not what some nebulous idea of what a ship should and shouldn't do tells him. I've capped in battleships, for god's sake.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

Beta Testers
3,306 posts
26,945 battles

With so many potato's playing now I do what is mostly best for me as a player . team work in random is very limited and opinions from fellow players during battles are like  A-Holes everyone has one.................................. 

[WOLFG]
Members
33,659 posts
10,453 battles
3 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Well, from what I have heard most IJN DDs are bad at capping* because they have very slow moving turrets.  DDs with fast guns are far better suited for the job. 

TBH, it's all about the concealment. 

It doesn't really matter about your guns, if you encounter a DD in a cap, it won't likely be what kills you anyway. 

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

TBH, it's all about the concealment. 

It doesn't really matter about your guns, if you encounter a DD in a cap, it won't likely be what kills you anyway. 

I should add that I mostly play BBs and cruisers.  I have about half a dozen DDs but rarely play them because I am terrible with them.  I just got Asashio last week and am still learning her.

For the record if a cap is uncontested, I will go for it.

But the scenario I am asking about is where it's super early in the game and the red DDs are already in the cap or about to enter it.  I simply don't have the skills for gunfights in my IJN DDs. 

[WOLFG]
Members
33,659 posts
10,453 battles
Just now, TheGreatBlasto said:

For the record if a cap is uncontested, I will go for it.

But the scenario I am asking about is where it's super early in the game and the red DDs are already in the cap or about to enter it.  I simply don't have the skills for gunfights in my IJN DDs. 

Gotcha. Yeah, I don't typically use Kag or Akatsuki's guns unless I can put the target down in 2 salvoes.

Members
212 posts
5,200 battles

I would do the most important thing that DDs are supposed to do, spotting, first. Upon seeing BBs, launch the first salvo of torpedoes, and then keep stealthy while spotting enemies. 

Try not to get detected, or your HP may vaporize within seconds under CA's fire. Use smoke while capping; pray while CV's rockets are after you, since Asashio's AA is literally non-existent. 

[SALVO]
Members
26,321 posts
30,384 battles
1 hour ago, OnociTsalk said:

Probably because the Asashio's torps are useless against enemy DDs.  I agree that there's no reason that the Asashio can't cap, given her excellent concealment.  But let's also be real and recognize that her torpedoes do put her at a disadvantage in any sort of brawl with enemy DDs.

[SALVO]
Members
26,321 posts
30,384 battles
28 minutes ago, Impitoyable_5929_x said:

I would do the most important thing that DDs are supposed to do, spotting, first. Upon seeing BBs, launch the first salvo of torpedoes, and then keep stealthy while spotting enemies. 

Try not to get detected, or your HP may vaporize within seconds under CA's fire. Use smoke while capping; pray while CV's rockets are after you, since Asashio's AA is literally non-existent. 

No, do NOT use smoke while capping, unless perhaps you're going to use it to defend against an enemy dive bomber or rocket plane.  Smoke only alerts the enemy to your presence and location.  And sure, if you need to break contact and disengage, using smoke is entirely understandable.

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,842 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

So what do you do?

The same thing you do in real life; ignore those whose ignorance would cause you pain and suffering as they are fools.

Well, from what I have heard most IJN DDs are bad at capping* because they have very slow moving turrets.

They do, for the most part (exceptions like Akizuki and Kitakaze and Haru), have slow traversing turrets; in some cases glacially slow. But that isn't the reason some (definitely not all) players say Asashio isn't a capping boat. It's because she cannot hit another DD (or cruiser) with her torps when confronted. Special boat, special tactics. But, yeah, she damn sure can cap.

Why risk such an asset in the first 5 minutes of the game?

The only way to measure any risk is to balance it against the reward.

And that is good, because you don't want gunfights in most IJN DDs (same exceptions as before). An IJN DD that is spotted, especially early in a match and close to a cap, is an IJN DD which is focused and killed, especially an Asashio, which all BB drivers hate for obvious reasons. For torp boats, stealth is life.

[CNO]
Members
6,594 posts
19,831 battles

Why?

Well, from what I have heard most IJN DDs are bad at capping* because they have very slow moving turrets.  

Last I heard, how fast your turrets traverse has nothing to do with the cap counter.

Capping isn't so much about what you "could" be up against, but what you ARE up against.  Sure, there are many situations where Asashio is not the DD to drive a cap.  Radar ships.  Gunboat DDs also contesting.  But those are "could" be situations.  What you need to assess in each game is the ACTUAL forces you are up against at that cap and the overall tactical and strategic situation.  Sometimes, you cap.  Sometimes you try to cap, and then bug out when the situation changes.  And sometimes, you do something else. 

Knowing the above, you gotta do what you understand is the correct move.  People in chat often do not understand your tactical and/or the overall strategic situation.  I have people call me out every now and then, and they are just flat out wrong.  They don't know what they're talking about.  So I just ignore them most of the time or explain the situation (if I have the time and it's worth the chat).  On those occasions when they are correct (and sometimes they are!), I'll acknowledge and correct.