Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
illuminattixia

Baltimore

35 comments in this topic

Members
15 posts
3,548 battles

Hi everyone,

I am a rookie player and have been playing cruisers all the time - Aoba, Mogami, Irian, AL Montpelier, and Prinz Eugen, etc.

I just started playing Baltimore with a 10-point commander. Surprisingly, I found Baltimore extremely challenging to play, although her parameters look fairly decent. I have the following two big frustrations with Baltimore.

1. Firepower - I've tried both AP and HE but neither works well. HE only brings little damages with a very small chance of fire. AP seems to be better than HE, but shell travel time is too long. In addition, Baltimore only has 3 guns with 10 seconds' reload time and has no torpedos.

2. Armor - I'm not good at analyzing data but my experience is: Prinz Eugen's armor is the best, Mogami's is OK, and Baltimore's is the worst - similar to AL Montpelier's, although Baltimore is a so-called heavy cruiser.

I searched the forum but didn't find a review of Baltimore or even meaningful discussions about Baltimore. Any thoughts/insights to share about Baltimore? Much appreciated!

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
3 minutes ago, illuminattixia said:

Hi everyone,

I am a rookie player and have been playing cruisers all the time - Aoba, Mogami, Irian, AL Montpelier, and Prinz Eugen, etc.

I just started playing Baltimore with a 10-point commander. Surprisingly, I found Baltimore extremely challenging to play, although her parameters look fairly decent. I have the following two big frustrations with Baltimore.

1. Firepower - I've tried both AP and HE but neither works well. HE only brings little damages with a very small chance of fire. AP seems to be better than HE, but shell travel time is too long. In addition, Baltimore only has 3 guns with 10 seconds' reload time and has no torpedos.

2. Armor - I'm not good at analyzing data but my experience is: Prinz Eugen's armor is the best, Mogami's is OK, and Baltimore's is the worst - similar to AL Montpelier's, although Baltimore is a so-called heavy cruiser.

I searched the forum but didn't find a review of Baltimore or even meaningful discussions about Baltimore. Any thoughts/insights to share about Baltimore? Much appreciated!

Baltimore is a shadow of her former self but is still a very strong opponent in the right hands. It's has floaty shells that can hit like a truck when properly selected and aimed. Th shellbarcs present opportunities other ships can't take advantage of. The radar is very important. It's has strong AA  It's easily more durable than Mogami. PE might have strong armor scheme but its real strength is its heal.

Baltimore is a well balanced boat.

Members
15 posts
3,548 battles
4 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

Baltimore is a shadow of her former self but is still a very strong opponent in the right hands. It's has floaty shells that can hit like a truck when properly selected and aimed. Th shellbarcs present opportunities other ships can't take advantage of. The radar is very important. It's has strong AA  It's easily more durable than Mogami. PE might have strong armor scheme but its real strength is its heal.

Thank you very much for sharing!

Does it mean Baltimore can do her best job when it sticks to a battleship and provides surveilance and AA support?

[RBMK]
Members
2,266 posts
36,373 battles
16 minutes ago, illuminattixia said:

Hi everyone,

Baltimore is a beast. Same shells as Des Moines. You can and should be citadelling every cruiser you see broadside. HE is good. 

As for armor, if its not 406 or larger, bow tank them.

Radar AA, it is one of the best CA at T8

[RBMK]
Members
2,266 posts
36,373 battles
13 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

She lost the heal and access to reload module but unchanged otherwise. Its not like the turret traverse nerf on Pensa.

Members
15 posts
3,548 battles
2 minutes ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

Baltimore is a beast. Same shells as Des Moines. You can and should be citadelling every cruiser you see broadside. HE is good. 

As for armor, if its not 406 or larger, bow tank them.

Radar AA, it is one of the best CA at T8

I'll spend more time on practicing aiming. What shells do you suggest when Baltimore is facing "head to head" against an enemy ship at a short or medium range? Sorry, don't know the term to describe a "head to head" situation.

[NGA-B]
[NGA-B]
Beta Testers
199 posts
11,094 battles
41 minutes ago, illuminattixia said:

I'll spend more time on practicing aiming. What shells do you suggest when Baltimore is facing "head to head" against an enemy ship at a short or medium range? Sorry, don't know the term to describe a "head to head" situation.

The term for "head-to-head" is called "Bow Tanking" - and I don't encourage this.  This means the front of your ship is pointing directly at the enemy ship and he's doing the same thing. If you are in this situation, stay strictly HE.  I concur with the other comments  - great support ship including radar and AA.  It does take practice in shooting over islands and you need to stay at range.  Use AP against cruisers and especially when they're broadside to you. HE does work against the likes of DD's and BB's so know when to switch ammo when necessary.  You don't need to necessarily fear CV's because your AA generally does the job and especially against T6 CVs. I've enjoy my Baltimore and you'll really going to like the Buffalo.

Edited by Mustang2209

[RBMK]
Members
2,266 posts
36,373 battles
55 minutes ago, illuminattixia said:

Bow on, HE most of the time unless a lower tier cruiser with thin armor you can citadel thru the bow.

Don't go looking to take on a BB bow on but contesting/protecting a cap and supporting your DDs with help from a BB can be quite strong.

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts
3 hours ago, Wye_So_Serious said:

She lost the heal and access to reload module but unchanged otherwise. Its not like the turret traverse nerf on Pensa.

I was referring to PE heal.

[TIMT]
Members
1,736 posts
5,623 battles

Two or three things that make Baltimore stand out:

1. The AP shells. So this is something you wont notice immediately and cannot find in-game data on. However, the ricochet angles (the angles at which the shells automatically bounce and don't bite into the armor anymore) on her shells are vastly improved, meaning you can get AP penetrations from angles almost no other ship can. So if a cruiser is angled against you your AP might still work. The ballistics are not great and they are slow, but they have quite the punch.

2. The bow armor. Don't take this as an invitation to bow-in on enemies as you don't have the DPM to deal with BBs etc., but the 27mm bow means you cannot be straight citadelled or even penned by anything smaller than 406mm guns (i.e. Bismarcks 380mm can't pen you bow-in, but 406mm from NC can etc.). This gives you some options when you have to deal with BBs, but they are not great.

3. Radar. You can use it to support your DDs in caps or flush out DDs in smokes. However, don't rush caps or hide behind islands and let yourself be reduced to just a radar provider, but keep it in mind that you have it and use it.

I played my Baltimore more like a cruiser hunter, as her AP can murder cruisers of almost any tier and her HE is good enough for same tier and below. She has good concealment (10km I think with CE, module, and camo), is reasonably nimble and fast enough. So support your DDs by going after those CLs and CAs, and light up DDs with radar (coordinate with your team so people are ready to react to the target showing up).

Against BBs you will want to use your HE, but she is neither tanky enough nor has she enough DPM to deal with them outright. However, you can use the floaty shells to your advantage and keep islands between you and your target to break direct line of sight to lob HE over it and get damage in. Don't get to close to the island though or you won't be able to get over it. Keep in mind that the AP shells are slower and fly in higher arcs than the HE shells!

I found Baltimore to be the most enjoyable part of the grind to DM, Buffalo was a tough nut after that as she plays very different imho. If you figure out Baltimore, you will have a blast in Des Moines, though!

[SVEN]
Beta Testers
239 posts
8,310 battles
4 hours ago, illuminattixia said:

Hi everyone,

Bully all lower tier ships with only a few tier VII BB exceptions.  HE works against everything and can nuke tier VIII+ DD isn2-3 salvos, depending on your aim.  Shoot AP against broadsides.  You will citadel most cruisers consistently.  Aim for BB superstructures and upper belts, bows and sterns if that's what they are giving you.  Very much a take what is given ship.  It has the tools to deal with any/all of it.  Even being bottom tier is an opportunity, just play a little more conservatively.

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
18,201 battles
5 hours ago, illuminattixia said:

Hi everyone,

Baltimore has solid HE and probably the best AP at her tier.  You'll want to use the AP as much as possible as it gives you the most bang for your buck, but the HE is more than serviceable.  9 guns with 10 second reload is also very good at her tier, it's better DPM than the other tech tree cruisers with 203mm guns.

Prinz Eugen may have better armor at close range due to her turtleback, but at mid-long ranges is no better than Baltimore's.  Baltimore has better protection at any range than Mogami and although comparable schematically to Montpelier it is of greater thickness and allows her to bow tank 380mm armed battleships.

It's not hard to make the argument that Baltimore is the best tech-tree Tier VIII cruiser.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,951 posts
26,039 battles
4 hours ago, thebigblue said:

Old Tier IX Baltimore with all her buffs was just amazing back in the day.

[TIMT]
Members
1,736 posts
5,623 battles

I forgot to mention a general piece of advice for figuring out new ships: watch people on twitch or Youtube how they play it.

There are a lot of guides to ships on YT, though check the age on them as they are sometimes outdated. This can give you an idea about what works and does not work on a ship, but keep in mind the people playing it can probably make anything work for them. So watch a few videos from different people to get a feeling for it. It certainly helped me a lot to better understand a lot of ships and where their strengths and weaknesses are.

[TDRB]
Members
5,320 posts
13,743 battles
6 hours ago, illuminattixia said:

Hi everyone,

While not my favorite T8 cruiser, I do like my Baltimore. 

Have you upgraded your hull & fire control to increase your HP & gun range? If not you are at a disadvantage, especially when facing T9 & T10 ships.

The Baltimore will citadel other cruisers and damage BB's with its AP.  But the 16" & 18" BB guns can send you back to port. Don't give them your broadside.

PT, AR, DE & CE was the commander build suggested to me for the 1st 10 points.

T6 & higher US cruisers do play different because they do not have torpedoes.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,307 posts
4,773 battles
7 hours ago, illuminattixia said:

I just started playing Baltimore with a 10-point commander. Surprisingly, I found Baltimore extremely challenging to play,

Welcome to the forum. 

Looking at your stats, Baltimore is the ONLY USN tech tree ship you've played.  No wonder you're not used to the gun arcs. 

How did you pull that off?

Baltimore is one of the best heavy cruisers at Tier VIII.  She does play considerably differently than most others.  Stats and informed opinion here: https://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Baltimore (ignore the AA stats).

Guns: All USN cruisers (and USN ships in general) use low muzzle velocity (high shell arc) to extend barrel life when fighting a long way from spare barrels.  The arcs are the same as the preceding ships and AL Montpelier, so you should be used to them by now.  If not, you may want to do some Training Room time.

Baltimore throws the new (at the time) super-heavy (SHS) AP shell, which has an even lower muzzle velocity yet arrives with significantly more energy, especially at longer ranges.  And US metallurgy produced very good penetration caps so USN AP has superior ricochet angles.  USN HE is pretty good, with a 14% base fire chance.  Aim high in the target ship for best effect

[NUWES]
Members
3,430 posts
12,797 battles
8 hours ago, illuminattixia said:

Hi everyone,

Baltimore is actually on of the more powerful T8 cruisers. The Hipper class cruisers (Hipper/Prinz Eugen/Tallinn) are probably the only ones with better armor in that they have a turtleback. Baltimore can bow tank fully half of the BBs in the tier. It also has probably the best AP cruiser shells on its tier both in terms of damage, rate of fire, and because of the improved penetration angles. By CA standards it also fires very fast so in a bow tanking situation it can outtrade any CA or CL and if they try to angle to open up their aft turrets it can simply citadel them. IT's speed is ok, its maneuverability is pretty decent for the tier and its AA is quite good.

Biggest things with Baltimore is the shells are slow. You do not want to be engaging small or fast ships at the edge of its range if you can avoid it. You want them in closer to minimize flight time. You can use the slow flight time to your advantage by firing over islands though.

The HE is ok, but you want to be using AP in any situation where they won't bounce unless you are trying to light a fire. Fire AP into the bow, stern, upper belt, and superstructure on BBs. You can get AP pens on BBs even in the belt if you are close but that is a bad idea. Fire AP against cruisers at all times unless they are steeply angled. 

Baltimore wants to be fighting other cruisers. That is your bread and butter. It is perfectly happy fighting DDs due to the radar and fast reload (for a CA). It is one of the better cruisers for dealing with CVs due to good AA and good agility. It does NOT want to be fighting BBs with a gun size higher than 381 mm (16"). Avoid those like the plague.  

The lack of torpedoes isn't really an issue. Torpedoes on most cruisers are a trap. Trying to use them will get you killed. Russian and German cruisers have to reach suicide ranges to use them and if the enemy allowed you to do that he deserves what he'll get. The IJN has long range and hard hitting torps but the arcs (except on Atago) are so awful that you will get deleted turning broadside to use them. Even for Atago, Baltimore can citadel it at almost any angle it can launch torpedoes. The French have too few torps to be a real threat to a BB and they'll get hammered exposing their sides to use them. The Italians and the British are the only two who really have effective cruiser torpedoes because they can both launch them from concealment (or smoke) without risk of reprisal and they have enough range to be meaningful. 

Here's a youtube video from Flamu about Baltimore. 

Spoiler

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,307 posts
4,773 battles
17 minutes ago, Tzarevitch said:

Baltimore is actually on of the more powerful T8 cruisers.

A good answer, but did you look at his stats?  He's played a grand total of 18 games in USN tech tree ships.

First, how did ever get a Baltimore?  Is there something I don't know about?

Second, it's no bloody wonder he's having trouble playing it. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[WOLF7]
Members
898 posts
Just now, iDuckman said:

A good answer, but did you look at his stats?  He's played a grand total of 18 games in USN tech tree ships.

First, how did ever get a Baltimore?  Is there something I don't know about?

Second, it's no bloody wonder he's having trouble playing it. 

That's a lot of FXP that got spent, I imagine.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,307 posts
4,773 battles
2 minutes ago, HamAndCheez said:

That's a lot of FXP that got spent, I imagine.

But got from where? He's run up the IJN cruiser line to T8.  That's all.  He's FXP'd Budyonny.  And he'd need, what, about another 300K? 

However he did it, this is NOT the way to learn or play WoWs, and all the text in the world isn't going to help him.

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

[KRAK]
Members
1,624 posts
16,696 battles

Duke of York (or Duck.....), can you buy your way to where he is at with a 10 point commander ?

Anyway, I liked Balti much more than Buffalo, and I like New Orleans better than all of them on that heavy cruiser line.

Edited by Hull Speed

[WOLF4]
Members
896 posts
12,339 battles

Wish I could be of more help - I can't bring myself to play Balti in her revised form and tier.

She was far and away my favorite ship in port, once upon a time - oh how the mighty have fallen!

Not much help for you - but here's a few matches from a couple of years ago, when she was queen of the tier nine cruisers.

Members
15 posts
3,548 battles
5 hours ago, iDuckman said:

But got from where? He's run up the IJN cruiser line to T8.  That's all.  He's FXP'd Budyonny.  And he'd need, what, about another 300K? 

However he did it, this is NOT the way to learn or play WoWs, and all the text in the world isn't going to help him.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and quesitons.

FYI, I bought a Azur Lane commander package - that's how I got 10-point commanders. I started from playing Imperial Japanese Navy cruisers and then tried some cruisers from other navies.

I'm not good at the game but kinda enjoy playing it. For each cruiser I've tried, I can somehow find some fun except for Baltimore.

• Cool 1

Members
15 posts
3,548 battles
5 hours ago, Tzarevitch said:

Baltimore is actually on of the more powerful T8 cruisers. The Hipper class cruisers (Hipper/Prinz Eugen/Tallinn) are probably the only ones with better armor in that they have a turtleback. Baltimore can bow tank fully half of the BBs in the tier. It also has probably the best AP cruiser shells on its tier both in terms of damage, rate of fire, and because of the improved penetration angles. By CA standards it also fires very fast so in a bow tanking situation it can outtrade any CA or CL and if they try to angle to open up their aft turrets it can simply citadel them. IT's speed is ok, its maneuverability is pretty decent for the tier and its AA is quite good.

Biggest things with Baltimore is the shells are slow. You do not want to be engaging small or fast ships at the edge of its range if you can avoid it. You want them in closer to minimize flight time. You can use the slow flight time to your advantage by firing over islands though.

The HE is ok, but you want to be using AP in any situation where they won't bounce unless you are trying to light a fire. Fire AP into the bow, stern, upper belt, and superstructure on BBs. You can get AP pens on BBs even in the belt if you are close but that is a bad idea. Fire AP against cruisers at all times unless they are steeply angled. 

Baltimore wants to be fighting other cruisers. That is your bread and butter. It is perfectly happy fighting DDs due to the radar and fast reload (for a CA). It is one of the better cruisers for dealing with CVs due to good AA and good agility. It does NOT want to be fighting BBs with a gun size higher than 381 mm (16"). Avoid those like the plague.  

The lack of torpedoes isn't really an issue. Torpedoes on most cruisers are a trap. Trying to use them will get you killed. Russian and German cruisers have to reach suicide ranges to use them and if the enemy allowed you to do that he deserves what he'll get. The IJN has long range and hard hitting torps but the arcs (except on Atago) are so awful that you will get deleted turning broadside to use them. Even for Atago, Baltimore can citadel it at almost any angle it can launch torpedoes. The French have too few torps to be a real threat to a BB and they'll get hammered exposing their sides to use them. The Italians and the British are the only two who really have effective cruiser torpedoes because they can both launch them from concealment (or smoke) without risk of reprisal and they have enough range to be meaningful. 

Here's a youtube video from Flamu about Baltimore. 

Reveal hidden contents

Thanks very much for sharing!

[AK-49]
Members
447 posts
10,021 battles

I was very disappointed when I first got my Baltimore. She seemed thin skin and didn't have much of a punch so I used her for AA and stuck close to BBs. I ended up selling her when CV's disappeared for a while in matches and bought a Salem a with Coal and it got me thinking about trying the Baltimore again. When CVs started coming back I rigged her up again for AA and have learned to not use her the same way I use my Prinz Eugen as a CA. Like any ship it's a matter of realizing what her strengths and weaknesses are and play with those bounds and not how you'd wish you could play.

Sign in to follow this