You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CptRemy

Gearing 2020

20 comments in this topic

[FTY]
Members
208 posts
7,997 battles

Getting ready to buy back the Gearing. I sold her, dumb I know, to support my BB grind back before the great CV rework.

Would like to hear from folks who play her regularly. How does Gearing fit in todays meta best?

Gunboat? Torpedoboat? Do you spec more for aa?

Do you bully other DDs with her? I know this used to be something you did with US DDs when I was grinding the line several years ago, but things have changed. New bully DDs have shown up since then.

Any advice is appreciated,ty.

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,960 battles
30 minutes ago, CptRemy said:

Getting ready to buy back the Gearing. I sold her, dumb I know, to support my BB grind back before the great CV rework.

Would like to hear from folks who play her regularly. How does Gearing fit in todays meta best?

Do you bully other DDs with her? I know this used to be something you did with US DDs when I was grinding the line several years ago, but things have changed. New bully DDs have shown up since then.

Hello captain, I have a video in the US dd forum page....i use her as a utility player.....great smokes....in my video I smoke a crippled BB to save his life then later smokes to defend a cap....used her aa,i use dfaa to fend off a cv from My crippled BB teammate .. you still have good concealment..great up close dpm...my channel is Meta_Man2002  check it out if you get a chance....good luck captain..i love the Gearing 

[VFW]
Members
1,504 posts
31,855 battles

Gearing is still a very good DD.  Great torps, good concealment, good AA...just a all around good DD.  Invest in torps.

[FTY]
Members
208 posts
7,997 battles
4 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

Hello captain, I have a video in the US dd forum page....i use her as a utility player.....great smokes....in my video I smoke a crippled BB to save his life then later smokes to defend a cap....used her aa,i use dfaa to fend off a cv from My crippled BB teammate .. you still have good concealment..great up close dpm...my channel is Meta_Man2002  check it out if you get a chance....good luck captain..i love the Gearing 

Thx, will def look into it, when I get break from my outside work today!

• Cool 1

[FTY]
Members
208 posts
7,997 battles
3 minutes ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Torp reload down to ~80 sec and 10.5k distance is a blast.

Yep, sounds like I’m going with tuning up the torpedoes on her!

Members
398 posts
7,284 battles

Main Battery Reload , 16km torps and Add those new Flags it's very helpful .

Helps me a lot on this CV's and stealth Radar cruisers

Members
357 posts
5,926 battles

You get an 88.7s reload if you go full torpedo build with the 16.5km torps. I heavily prefer these considering how prolific radar is and how poor Gearing's handling is relative to the rest of the USN line

• Cool 2

[NGA-B]
[NGA-B]
Beta Testers
199 posts
11,067 battles
2 hours ago, CptRemy said:

I have def AA and I use it more to bully DD's than anything else to control caps. I keep track of the enemy DD's and I know I cant outgun certain ones, like the Hara or the Marceau.  Great concealment and good torp range to keep BB's nervous. Long smoke but be careful in sitting in them if you know there are torp-able ships near by.  If there arent, I farm enemy ships from the safety of the smoke and keep moving inside it so they cant get a lock off my gun flashes.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Beta Testers
2,440 posts
14,161 battles
2 hours ago, BearlyHereBear said:

Torp reload down to ~80 sec and 10.5k distance is a blast.

I am curious. Why not just run Fletcher if you are using Fletcher torps?

[EQRN]
Members
2,238 posts
20,498 battles
13 minutes ago, chewonit said:

I’m curious as well, that “upgrade” came a few months ago and my impression was a lot of people thought it a good thing. I’d like to hear people’s args for/against each torp now that it’s been around a few months.

[SFOR]
Beta Testers
437 posts
10,356 battles

I would chime in with the other supporters of 16 km torps. I feel my games improved with this option. Still had BFT to help with duels and AA{maybe !), but long range torps definitely felt more comfortable

[FTY]
Members
208 posts
7,997 battles
5 hours ago, Meta_Man said:

Watched one of your vids. Good stuff, it reminded me of why I enjoy playing American ships, they require teamwork to really shine, and I am a sucker for teamwork.

• Cool 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,713 posts
5,604 battles

I played most of the USN DDs more gun focused, but Gearing to me is more of a torpedo boat. The 16km torps are just hilarious with their ability to give you hits on targets you did not even expect and are just great for area denying. Concealment is ok (great if you have the legendary mod).

From what I can see she has been a bit powercrept, as many DDs outgun her now or just do the multi-purpose DD thing better (Daring etc.). Still fun though.

[HINON]
Members
8,986 posts
13,140 battles

i feel like Gearing getting those recent buffs probably helped her out and getting Fletcher's torps as her stock ones wasnt too bad either, because those torps are nasty

[BSL]
Members
1,232 posts
21,643 battles
3 hours ago, chewonit said:

6 guns is better than 5

I should add that I rebought Fletcher but still prefer Gearing.

Edited by BearlyHereBear

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,873 posts
25,982 battles
3 hours ago, chewonit said:

Gearing could get into a narrow bow on profile and present 2 turrets firing 4 guns.

Fletcher to show more than 2 guns has to turn out and present more of the ship to get hit.

OaydR5A.jpg

But the one big thing I hated with Gearing was how Tier X DDs sailed like sh*t compared to Tier IX DDs that still had a semblance of agility.  I could Torpedo Beat easily with Dancing Queen Fletcher, but Gearing is a Tier X DD, and they're all sluggish as a dead frozen fat yak.

[TIMT]
Members
1,713 posts
5,604 battles
10 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

But the one big thing I hated with Gearing was how Tier X DDs sailed like sh*t compared to Tier IX DDs that still had a semblance of agility.  I could Torpedo Beat easily with Dancing Queen Fletcher, but Gearing is a Tier X DD, and they're all sluggish as a dead frozen fat yak.

Yeah, in a funny twist most T9 DDs are actually superior to their T10 fellows in some regards, mostly concealment or agility. Jutland comes to mind as another example.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,873 posts
25,982 battles
17 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

Yeah, in a funny twist most T9 DDs are actually superior to their T10 fellows in some regards, mostly concealment or agility. Jutland comes to mind as another example.

Kitakaze has some agility that Harugumo doesn't have.

I also lost count how many times I saw Harugumo players camp smoke to only die from torpedoes.  She has no "Get up & go" to her.

Kitakaze also doesn't eat Full BB AP Pens the way Haru does.  IIRC, Khab & Haru are the only DDs in the game that still eat Full BB AP Pens.  I still remember when Yamatos were deleting Destroyers with AP.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway