You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FuriousDestroyer_999

New York... Is it worth the grind?

43 comments in this topic

Members
77 posts
181 battles

New York has gotten a LOT better over the updates, but some people, including me, are still utterly displeased with her armour, speed, and turret layout. Using the No. 3 turret/P turret will just get you killed here... And during bow tanking I still find myself taking 5k pens from cruiser caliber guns, what the heck? Someone help me please, is the grind even worth it for NM? Cos I'm at Bayern now and enjoying German Power...

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

NM layout is so much better but the line is a hot mess until tier8.

• Cool 1

[RBMK]
Members
2,266 posts
36,390 battles
14 minutes ago, FuriousDestroyer_999 said:

New York has gotten a LOT better over the updates, but some people, including me, are still utterly displeased with her armour, speed, and turret layout. Using the No. 3 turret/P turret will just get you killed here... And during bow tanking I still find myself taking 5k pens from cruiser caliber guns, what the heck? Someone help me please, is the grind even worth it for NM? Cos I'm at Bayern now and enjoying German Power...

My only advice is take your time with any line or you may end up frustrated.

It's not that long of a "grind" T4-T6 anyway. Good experience building. 

• Cool 2

[UN1]
Members
1,386 posts
4,491 battles
24 minutes ago, FuriousDestroyer_999 said:

Both the American and German BB lines are pretty poor imho.

The American BB line is one of those lines that isn't really that good except for T10.  Sure, it's been buffed and now has better rudder shift and healing, but the line just doesn't do anything that reliably well for a decent player to capitalize on.  The North Carolina is pretty decent, but the Iowa can be really tough to play for most players.  Montana fixes everything you struggled with, and then some, and is very enjoyable.  But, you had to really grind it out to get there.  I've played this line twice.

The German BB line is an identity crisis.  They're specialized for close-quarter combat, but that just doesn't fit into the meta all that well.  Some games are amazingly fun, and others make you want to cry.  If you forgo your secondaries entirely, you'll have a lot better consistency with the line, but who wants to do that?  I've also played this line twice.

The Russian line, surprisingly, is the line that does what both the Americans and Germans set out to accomplish.  Some consider this bias, but I consider that hog wash.  When you play a Russian battleship, you know what it's strengths and weaknesses are, and it's very obvious.  This lends to very reliable play as long as you stay within those parameters, and thus, better performance over time.

Edited by Ranari
  • Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
1,780 posts
16,453 battles

I regularly play NY's premium sister, Texas. While neither T5 USN BB will ever be accused of greatness, your opponents tend to be less than stellar as well. 

If you position well, pick the right targets, and aim correctly, your grind through NY will be swift and enjoyable. 

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[VORTX]
Members
662 posts
8,380 battles
29 minutes ago, FuriousDestroyer_999 said:

Far from my favorite ship. But it’s a tier v and a very easy grind if you’re playing random. So ... go get it. You’ll have it in 25 games or so if you’re starting from the beginning. From my own experience the Soviet and Japanese have been the most rewarding. Japanese weren’t quite my play style, but both of their tier V ships are favs. GL HH.

[WPORT]
Members
9,908 posts
14,401 battles
30 minutes ago, FuriousDestroyer_999 said:

New York is a slow USN BB.

The USN Battleships get better with New Mexico and get a teeny bit better with Colorado.  It is with North Carolina that the USN tech-tree Battleship finally has decent speed, guns and other virtues without too many vices.

If you're looking for a USN BB that is plenty of fun and has some nice history, the USS Massachusetts is available as a premium ship.
I think she's worth every penny/doubloon.

• Cool 2

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,137 posts
4,345 battles

NY is easily the worst ship in the line, and is a contender for worst BB in the game.

NM is much better, A-B-X-Y turret arrangment, more guns. CO is eh, good guns, good heal, but slow and meh armor. Then the line changes to fast BBs, NC is one of the best T8 BBs, and Iowa is excellent. Montana is also a solid ship. So NY is easily the worst, but it does take a bit of plodding along before you get to NC.

• Boring 2

Members
2,360 posts
33,914 battles

I like the NY - TX even better.  And the NM is a tank.  Absolutely eats torps for lunch and can have plenty more for dinner without feeling too hurt.

And 12 x 14" rifles work just fine.  AZ is even better - though not a cool looking as NM.

I don't really play them as bow tanker; I like to keep moving even though they're not really flankers. They do well at medium range I think.

I even like the Colorado.  Got it spec'd as a 2ndary build.

I didn't do well with NC, but I do fine with Massachussetts.

And Iowa is a really good T 9 BB.

I just finished resetting the line a few weeks ago and researched the Montana but didn't buy it.  I'n going to reset it again when the new reset time starts.

[F4E-2]
Members
357 posts
7,080 battles
39 minutes ago, Cruxdei said:

This. All US BBs are total garbage until T8. Frankly, I prefer the German BB line. Bayern is a standout. Then the next three are kinda lame and the GK is great.

[RLGN]
Members
16,223 posts
28,096 battles
20 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

New York is a slow USN BB.

The USN Battleships get better with New Mexico and get a teeny bit better with Colorado.  It is with North Carolina that the USN tech-tree Battleship finally has decent speed, guns and other virtues without too many vices.

The last T5 Ranked I decided to annoy folks with New York and Texas.

Those most annoyed where the Gulio Cesars I beat up.

Amazing what four years experience can do for you, in a battleship you once thought was trash.

• Cool 5

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

Make sure you choose the correct side of the map to advance towards at the start of the match. Make a mistake and you'll likely never reach the other side. 

I alway set up my USN BB ships/commanders so I got fast turret rotation, fast enough to keep up with rudder changes. Believe it or not, it makes a difference. NY is a state of mind actually - you just got to be there. 

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
30,965 posts
26,039 battles
1 hour ago, Cruxdei said:

Yes.  Tech Tree USN BB Line is one of those lines that only get better real late in the tiers.

[FTY]
Members
208 posts
8,005 battles
1 hour ago, FuriousDestroyer_999 said:

Hang in there, it gets better. The New Mexico is awesome but slow, the Colorado has awesome guns but slow and then after that its awesome guns and speed!

Also the high tier US BBs, imo, are the best looking ships in the game!

I’m a fan of US BBs.

You certainly won’t find any ships in that line that are overpowered but if you take the time to learn them, they will perform as good as any BB, and will surprise you with their awesomeness if played right.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,477 posts
18,460 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

NY is easily the worst ship in the line, and is a contender for worst BB in the game.

Odd. I couldn't wait to get out of the Wyoming; I hated that ship. South Carolina was a dream - very much like a baby Warspite in its gun layout - and I really, REALLY liked the New York. Losing Q turret made life easier when I moved up to the NM, then came the 16 inch guns with Colorado. I like my slow US Standard battleships. I chose the New York to take into the Asymmetric Battles thing on the PTS this evening because I feel confident in her.

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,078 posts
19,467 battles

NY is fine as long as she isn’t bottom tiered. The. Colorado isn’t a top fuel dragster by no means, but she carried 16” rifles compared to the 14” of the NY. She can still punish ships who foolishly go broadside to her. Just have to keep moving and plan in advance where you want to go.

[WOLF3]
Members
614 posts
12,115 battles
2 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

If you are impatient, then the line is not reccomended. I happen to enjoy the NM and Colo, however. I dont play tier 5 at all unless i have to grind through to something else if you want the new york, colorado and NM are far better analogues.

[PVE]
Members
382 posts
3,273 battles

I enjoyed the New York.  Sold her to finance the New Mexico.  Bought her back as soon as I had amassed enough credits to do so.  She is a keeper.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,965 posts
26,039 battles

The Tech Tree USN BB "Standards" are just laced with problems.

All:

- Sh*t slow speed.  The trash speed is a major concern both offensively and defensively.  You're too slow to bring your guns into where they're needed the most in a timely manner.  If your group collapses, your slow speed means you aren't getting away.

- Highly vulnerable to HE Spam

- Big bulky superstructure area is perfectly suited for catching shells

- Sh*t to bad turret traverse / gun handling

- Garbage a.f. secondaries

Tier IV Wyoming

+ Lots of guns

- Lots of guns that can't hit anything

- AA?... What's that?

Tier V New York

+ Lots of guns

- Stock AP shells suck a**

- Horrible gun angles

- Using all the turrets is a good way to return to port

- Extraordinarily easy to Citadel

- AA?  LOL!

- Bad MM spot, will see some pretty strong Tier VII BBs that are extremely dangerous.  Sinop, Scharnhorst, Lyon, etc

Tier VI New Mexico

+ Lots of guns

+ Fantastic AP shells

+ Fantastic TDS

+ Better gun angles than NY-class

- Sees Tier VIII, i.e. MASSACHUSETTS, Kutuzov, Mainz, Cleveland

- NM used to have pretty respectable AA before the CV Rebork.  The Rebork has not been kind to her AA;  Just not what it used to be

HORRIBLE GUNNERY

- 356mm AP can be easily tanked by High Tier CLs

- Absolutely Trash 1.5 Sigma

- Even trashier 34.2 seconds reload.  Not only is NM's accuracy trash, she can't even reload faster to make up for it

- Garbage a.f. Main Battery Range of barely over 16km

- Garbage a.f. turret traverse of 60 seconds

*** Fuso this same tier has 1.5 Sigma and 356mm x12 guns like NM.  Her AP is also worse than NM's.  But Fuso has fantastic range of 21.81km and fantastic reload for her 12 rifles at 28 seconds.  Premium Arizona has the same trash reload, range, and traverse as NM, but Arizona has 1.8 Sigma.  Both Fuso & Arizona are recurring Rock Stars in Tier VI Ranked and New Mexico is bottom rung.

It doesn't get better in Tier VII Colorado, either.

+ 406mm guns with good Overmatching benefits

+ Really strong AP shells

- The slow speed wasn't good in Tier VI and below, and Colorado in Tier VIII-IX games with that trash speed just feels like self mutilation.  Nimitz help you if your LOLORADO'S flank collapses

- She may have 2.0 Sigma but her accuracy doesn't feel good because she only has 8 rifles.  I actually preferred NM's 14"x12 "Shotgun" effect better than LOLORADO'S "accurate" 16" x8 guns

- Faces a lot of opponents that Overmatch the sh*t out of her;  Her slow speed means she can't get away to save herself.

- As a Tier VII, she faces very tough High Tier opponents.  Not only will she face Tier VIII monsters like Massachusetts, and dangerous Cruisers that will easily HE Pen her, but she faces Tier IX as well:  Georgia, Musashi, Jean Bart, Alaska, Kronshtadt.  Even Azuma will pelt you reliably at long range and burn you to the waterline.  Then there's the Tier IX DDs, many of whom can be counted on as some of the best DDs in the game, tier for tier.  Have fun getting farmed by Kitakaze, dealing with Jutland, getting trolled by fast sailing Udaloi in open water, etc.

When things are going bad and ships need to retreat to fight again later in the match, USN BB Standards are used as speedbumps for the red ships to feast upon while everyone else gets away safely. 

USN Standard BBs are the "Otis" of WoWS.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

Members
77 posts
181 battles
2 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

The Tech Tree USN BB "Standards" are just laced with problems.

All:

- Sh*t slow speed

- Highly vulnerable to HE Spam

- Big bulky superstructure area is perfectly suited for catching shells

- Sh*t to bad turret traverse / gun handling

- Garbage a.f. secondaries

Tier IV Wyoming

+ Lots of guns

- Lots of guns that can't hit anything

- AA?... What's that?

Tier V New York

+ Lots of guns

- Stock AP shells suck a**

- Horrible gun angles

- Using all the turrets is a good way to return to port

- Extraordinarily easy to Citadel

- AA?  LOL!

- Bad MM spot, will see some pretty strong Tier VII BBs that are extremely dangerous.  Sinop, Scharnhorst, Lyon, etc

Tier VI New Mexico

+ Lots of guns

+ Fantastic AP shells

+ Fantastic TDS

+ Better gun angles than NY-class

- Sees Tier VIII, i.e. MASSACHUSETTS, Kutuzov, Mainz, Cleveland

- NM used to have pretty respectable AA before the CV Rebork.  The Rebork has not been kind to her AA;  Just not what it used to be

HORRIBLE GUNNERY

- 356mm AP can be easily tanked by High Tier CLs

- Absolutely Trash 1.5 Sigma

- Even trashier 34.2 seconds reload.  Not only is NM's accuracy trash, she can't even reload faster to make up for it

- Garbage a.f. Main Battery Range of barely over 16km

- Garbage a.f. turret traverse of 60 seconds

*** Fuso this same tier has 1.5 Sigma and 356mm x12 guns like NM.  Her AP is also worse than NM's.  But Fuso has fantastic range of 21.81km and fantastic reload for her 12 rifles at 28 seconds.  Premium Arizona has the same trash reload, range, and traverse as NM, but Arizona has 1.8 Sigma.  Both Fuso & Arizona are recurring Rock Stars in Tier VI Ranked and New Mexico is bottom rung.

It doesn't get better in Tier VII Colorado, either.

+ 406mm guns with good Overmatching benefits

+ Really strong AP shells

- The slow speed wasn't good in Tier VI and below, and Colorado in Tier VIII-IX games with that trash speed just feels like self mutilation.  Nimitz help you if your LOLORADO'S flank collapses

- She may have 2.0 Sigma but her accuracy doesn't feel good because she only has 8 rifles.  I actually preferred NM's 14"x12 "Shotgun" effect better than LOLORADO'S "accurate" 16" x8 guns

- Faces a lot of opponents that Overmatch the sh*t out of her;  Her slow speed means she can't get away to save herself.

- As a Tier VII, she faces very tough High Tier opponents.  Not only will she face Tier VIII monsters like Massachusetts, and dangerous Cruisers that will easily HE Pen her, but she faces Tier IX as well:  Georgia, Musashi, Jean Bart, Alaska, Kronshtadt.  Even Azuma will pelt you reliably at long range and burn you to the waterline.  Then there's the Tier IX DDs, many of whom can be counted on as some of the best DDs in the game, tier for tier.  Have fun getting farmed by Kitakaze, dealing with Jutland, getting trolled by fast sailing Udaloi in open water, etc.

On second thought, I should stick to the German line.

[WOLF3]
Members
30,965 posts
26,039 battles
4 minutes ago, FuriousDestroyer_999 said:

On second thought, I should stick to the German line.

The Line gets a lot better... Starting Tier VIII.

Edit:  I forgot to mention, Tier VI New Mexico and VII Colorado also get to face Tier VIII Carriers.  Enterprise is bad, bad news.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,332 posts
23,742 battles
2 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

NY is easily the worst ship in the line, and is a contender for worst BB in the game

Kinda surprised at the hate NY gets.   It's a slow T5 but not a bad T5.  The only thing I really hate about it is if you guess wrong and push the wrong flank you are out of the battle. 

That said,  the lessons you learn in her will be valuable up the line. 

Banned
120 posts
11,462 battles

"New York... Is it worth the grind?"

I don't think anybody in their right mind grinds to get the New York, it is utter garbage in every way. The Wyoming is a better ship in my opinion than the New York. People that grind the American BB line don't do it for the New York, they mainly do it for the Iowa. But the American BB line will not really be good until you reach the New Mexico which is a fine ship...slow AF, but good otherwise. And it just gets better from there.