You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Capt_Conundrum

How do Captains take their Coffee?

91 comments in this topic

Members
404 posts

So someone broached the subject of "Coffee" in a forum post earlier.

When sitting down to take a ship into battle, how do you take your caffeinated brew?

(Personally:  Straight black, Dark Roast)

Timestamp, see 2:25 to 2:35 in the following video.

• Cool 1

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
817 posts
10,888 battles

I'd rather enjoy a good ice tea myself but there are those times when I will enjoy an ice mocha coffee from Jack In The Box.

• Haha 1

[TNG]
Members
559 posts
11,866 battles

Light roast, sun dried, unwashed.  Preferably Ethiopian or Guatemalan.  Good Kona is hard to come by out here, but there are some really nice south American varieties.

Pulled on a quality espresso machine (Profitec Pro 500 PID at the moment) for about 28 seconds, after freshly grinding the beans.

Edited by Dr_Drunk_AKA
  • Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
8,248 posts
6,105 battles

How do I want my coffee? 

Dude, that's one difficult question. It depends on a lot of stuff.

The daily dosis, black with milk (machiatto if you like). If the blend is nice then straight black. Cheap blends go latte. Always in the morning.

Afternoons are tea time. Black with lemon and sugar.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

never liked the "cafe com leite" or coffee with milk,i tend to not drink coffee without sugar.

i only try the arabica and robusta,the only beans that brazil produce here,we may have more variety but i can't find it.

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,875 posts
14,356 battles

If the coffee is brewed, then four parts coffee, one part milk or dairy creamer.
The resulting blend will be a light brown or dark tan in color and very pleasant to my taste.

If coffee is "instant", then I use 
Maxwell House International Café Francais Beverage Mix

If I drink tea, it is likely to be green tea or oolong tea.

Recently, I've enjoyed Maxwell House "Low Acid" coffee, because it has a nice flavor and is gentler on my digestion.
https://www.myfoodandfamily.com/brands/maxwell-house/product/00043000083376/maxwell-house-lower-acid-original-medium-roast-ground-coffee-125-oz-canister

https://www.myfoodandfamily.com/brands/maxwell-house/product/00043000003329/maxwell-house-international-francais-cafe-style-beverage-mix-76-oz-canister

https://shop.bigelowtea.com/Bigelow/oolong/Oolong-Classic/00199

https://www.bigelowtea.com/Teas/Tea-Type/Green-Tea/Green-Tea

[WOLFG]
[WOLFG]
Members
989 posts
9,452 battles

Black. 

If black is not available, I'll take it black. 

Also black is acceptable. 

And as a last resort, I guess black is a reasonable substitute. 

• Cool 5
  • Funny 2

[SALVO]
Members
26,315 posts
30,328 battles
40 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I drink tea, not coffee like the uncivilized rebels...

:p

Black tea with sugar and milk.

I'm with you, Daniel, though my tea preference is Earl Grey.

[RLGN]
Members
16,203 posts
28,082 battles
37 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

I drink tea, not coffee like the uncivilized rebels...

:p

Black tea with sugar and milk.

Just now, Crucis said:

I'm with you, Daniel, though my tea preference is Earl Grey.

While I enjoyed the tea at my hotel breakfasts during a vacation in London several years back; this boorish Yank was greatly put-upon that the only available coffee was the poofda kind, involving much pressing of buttons and hissing of milk being steamed.

BLACK.

No sugar or creamer. The darker and stronger the better.

Members
2,126 posts
7,630 battles

I used to use a nice Kona blend with raw sugar and "half and half".

I now drink iced coffee that I make at home by using instant coffee, Splenda and milk instead of sugar and water.

Edited by Captain_Slattery

[SALVO]
Members
26,315 posts
30,328 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

While I enjoyed the tea at my hotel breakfasts during a vacation in London several years back; this boorish Yank was greatly put-upon that the only available coffee was the poofda kind, involving much pressing of buttons and hissing of milk being steamed.

BLACK.

No sugar or creamer. The darker and stronger the better.

Whatever works for you, prophet.

Me personally, I tend to be rather contrarian or maybe it's eclectic with my drinks.  I prefer tea and despise the taste of coffee.  Any coffee.  I don't even like coffee flavored ice cream, etc.  Or even the smell of coffee.  It just turns my stomach.

[SALVO]
Members
8,248 posts
6,105 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

even the smell of coffee.  It just turns my stomach.

Bro, that's heresy... The smell of a good coffee on the morning is just glorious to me. Maybe it is the cultural bagage I carry, but it is a burden I enjoy very much.

• Cool 4

[RLGN]
Members
16,203 posts
28,082 battles
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Whatever works for you, prophet.

Me personally, I tend to be rather contrarian or maybe it's eclectic with my drinks.  I prefer tea and despise the taste of coffee.  Any coffee.  I don't even like coffee flavored ice cream, etc.  Or even the smell of coffee.  It just turns my stomach.

Nothing wrong with that.

Though I just remembered an addendum to what I said; there was a Cappuccino pie I used to love; made by Coco’s Restaurant in California...

...haven't had a slice of that since 1996 when they stopped making it. Not enough demand, apparently.

Baskin Robins Cappuccino Blast; basically a coffee slushy with cinnamon and whipped cream.

I also stopped often at Starbucks in the Underground main stations for a basic iced coffee.

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[BEA5T]
Members
5,288 posts
24,018 battles

Gunpowder Tea with agave and a little ND Creamer.   Or, a Bold coffee with agave and Cream.  Instant coffee in the military with the sweetener and cream mixed together in large diameter straws sealed at both ends.   That way, you just puncture the straw and put it in hot water and then use the straw to stir.  One serving straws we assemble before we went out.

Edited by Asym_KS

[PVE]
Members
11,071 posts
19,193 battles

I take it with Whiskey and without the coffee and I drink it cold (on the rocks).

• Cool 1
  • Haha 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,433 posts
18,402 battles

Black with four, either filter or espresso.

Bargain-basement instant coffee is the spawn of Satan. Fortunately, there's a valid use for it which I first saw demonstrated here:

So I gave it a try, and sure enough it actually works:

image.thumb.png.974867e7e13b99ee01e42b1e8bf94183.png

Supposedly the worse it tastes, the better it works - but the likely active ingredient is caffeic acid, and that's why the vid tells you not to use decaf.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

Members
1,077 posts
12,794 battles

Loose leaf Darjeeling “champagne “ tea from India, steeped in boiling water with just enough half-and-half to turn it a dark caramel color.  A great way to start every day!

[PVE]
Members
382 posts
3,273 battles

Medium roast with Heavy Cream and a generous pat of real butter.  Periodically I will pick up some chicory to "flavor" it up.

Edited by Duma