You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BrushWolf

The Battle of Trindade 1914

6 comments in this topic

[GWG]
Members
7,614 posts
14,511 battles

The guns of a tier 2 destroyer, but the HP of a tier 10 battleship....

In this game, they'd have to extend the battle time to 4 hours each.

It would be like two Emden's fighting with 70K HP each to knock down.

Edited by AVR_Project
  • Funny 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,342 posts
14,924 battles
17 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

The guns of a tier 2 destroyer, but the HP of a tier 10 battleship....

In this game, they'd have to extend the battle time to 4 hours each.

It would be like two Emden's fighting with 70K HP each to knock down.

With zero armor letting almost everything penetrate and no repair it would be over fairly quickly.

[REVY]
Members
8,422 posts
6,118 battles

What a terrible idea turning passenger liners into cruisers.  The Royal Navy listed RMS Lusitania as an armed merchant cruiser and then made a big stink about it when she was sunk.  It practically gave an incentive for the Royal Navy to let these ships get attacked.

[GWG]
Members
7,614 posts
14,511 battles
2 minutes ago, BrushWolf said:

With zero armor letting almost everything penetrate and no repair it would be over fairly quickly.

Don't forget the 'citadel' was inside several layers of water-tight compartments.  Those ships were built to withstand high speed travel through the North Atlantic.

So it may not be specific 'armor' plating, but there is a lot of steel to pass through to get anywhere important.

The Germans were aiming for the upper works to disable fire control - and ship control, while the British were shooting the water-line to get flooding.

What I don't understand is the second German armed merchant turning 'tail' - thinking it was a trap.  I think his crew should have mutinied and attacked anyway.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,342 posts
14,924 battles
Just now, AVR_Project said:

Don't forget the 'citadel' was inside several layers of water-tight compartments.  Those ships were built to withstand high speed travel through the North Atlantic.

So it may not be specific 'armor' plating, but there is a lot of steel to pass through to get anywhere important.

The Germans were aiming for the upper works to disable fire control - and ship control, while the British were shooting the water-line to get flooding.

What I don't understand is the second German armed merchant turning 'tail' - thinking it was a trap.  I think his crew should have mutinied and attacked anyway.

True but fires would be almost constant.