You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Now I see exactly what Jingles meant...

16 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles

...back when I first joined this game and, while watching one of his vids, he referred to the Conqueror as the "Mega-Zao". 

As luck would have it, I tried both ships out in the PTS last night. Conq first, Zao second. Two battles in the Zao was enough to bring that quote back to mind.

Now all I need to do is suffer through Lion and Ibuki (and what's left of Mogami). :Smile_veryhappy:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 2

[TRU]
Members
761 posts
22,748 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

...back when I first joined this game and, while watching one of his vids, he referred to the Conqueror as the "Mega-Zao". 

As luck would have it, I tried both ships out in the PTS last night. Conq first, Zao second. Two battles in the Zao was enough to bring that quote back to mind.

Now all I need to do is suffer through Lion and Ibuki (and what's left of Mogami). :Smile_veryhappy:

I finally pulled the trigger on a line reset and took out the Mogami.  She can do some damage but having no heal and a hull of glass can lead to a quick trip back to port.   It has been a while since I played her and it seemed like most players wised up to her 10k torps too.  Kiting kept me alive but it was close.

The Lion was rough, especially when uptiered. 

[WOLFC]
Members
259 posts
10,459 battles
20 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Now all I need to do is suffer through Lion and Ibuki

I think you will like the Ibuki. You can stealth torp ships pushing into you, and with the range mod you can set fires on the big fatties all game. Also, with all that range dodge shells left and right. I still play mine way to aggressive and die a lot, but for me I am surprised its such a fun ship after hearing all the horror stories about her. I know most folks frown upon the range mod over dpm, but hey that's how I like to play.

Good luck, have fun. :Smile_Default:

Edited by JBR40
spelling

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
3 minutes ago, JBR40 said:

I know most folks frown upon the range mod over dpm, but hey that's how I like to play.

I played one random battle with DPM in Zao in PTS and very quickly switched to range mod. As with the Salem (I do not have the DM), I found that she REALLY needs the extra reach. I did not try the Ibuki, but I need to finish the cruiser damage and fire setting tasks tonight so I might give her a go. In layout she seems like a somewhat buffed 8-inch Mogami, so at least there will be that level of familiarity when I move up.

• Cool 1

[WOLFG]
Members
33,573 posts
10,430 battles
8 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Tell me that's just unfortunately worded.

I recently got Mogami, and I'll be keeping it with the 155mm guns. It shreds DDs with alacrity, and makes the world burn!

[WOLFG]
Members
33,573 posts
10,430 battles
8 hours ago, JBR40 said:

I know most folks frown upon the range mod over dpm, but hey that's how I like to play.

No frowning here, all my cruisers get the range mod, and all BBs get dpm.

Sure, it's nice to fire faster, but a second or so better reload isn't worth having to get a couple km closer to nasty BBs lol. 

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,419 posts
18,377 battles
5 hours ago, Skpstr said:

Yeah, the what's left of Mogami is an afterthought because I haven't finished that grind yet.

Members
467 posts
8,433 battles

Speaking of Jingles, I have him on my British heavy cruisers....starting at Hawkins.  I recently got Devonshire, and I finally get to hear "That's a paddling" out of him.  Hawkins just doesn't have the single salvo firepower most of the time to trigger it, but Devonshire does.

[TIMT]
Members
1,713 posts
5,604 battles
16 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

As with the Salem (I do not have the DM), I found that she REALLY needs the extra reach.

I think with Des Moines (cant talk about Salem, but they appear very similar) both are viable. While the range can be limiting more often than not, the stealth aspect of the extra range kept me from going back to longer range. The added DPM is just bonus, though the slower turret traverse is meh.

My point is that the added gun bloom can interfere with your ability to rain death and destruction on BBs from behind islands, as you have to be much more conscientious about potential lines of vision the enemy has. In some modes like epicenter this can actually be useful as you can use islands as cover that would otherwise be exposed to enemies on the other side of the map. Similarly, the odd DD is less likely to spot you. Note that this is not about island hugging, but having islands a few km in front of you with the target behind it, rendering the angle covered by the island much smaller and at the same time giving you more options to maneuver.

This is of course highly situational and I might switch back again to see how I do with range now. Overall I think it comes down to personal preferences and playstyle.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,573 posts
10,430 battles
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Yeah, the what's left of Mogami is an afterthought because I haven't finished that grind yet.

I just wondered, I might be 20 games in.

The HE is fantastic, the concealment is great, and I don't feel the relatively short range is an issue, unlike Baltimore. 

It's never, "will I hit this guy?", but, "will I get more than 1 fire with this salvo?"

I will certainly be keeping this ship.

[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,476 posts
5,181 battles
13 hours ago, Skpstr said:

I recently got Mogami, and I'll be keeping it with the 155mm guns. It shreds DDs with alacrity, and makes the world burn!

is 155 Mogami >/< 203 Mogami? Personal preference? Is there any downside to the 203 fit?

[PHD]
Members
244 posts
15,092 battles
5 minutes ago, BBsquid said:

is 155 Mogami >/< 203 Mogami? Personal preference? Is there any downside to the 203 fit?

I like the 155s better mostly because of the reload time, but the 203s have better dispersion and better chance of fires.

[TF_34]
Beta Testers
1,476 posts
5,181 battles
Just now, Potohto928 said:

I like the 155s better mostly because of the reload time, but the 203s have better dispersion and better chance of fires.

hows the 203 AP? Is she a better HE boat regardless of 155 or 203?

[WOLFG]
Members
33,573 posts
10,430 battles
4 hours ago, BBsquid said:

I haven't got the 203's yet, but they'll be the same as Myoko performance wise.

I don't really see a downside to the 203s, (they fire slower but do more damage, higher fire chance but fewer chances, ballistics are pretty similar) but the 155s are fun and different, making the ship worth keeping as I move up to Ibuki and Zao.

It kind of feels like a compromise between US catapults and Russian lasers, other than the reload, which is slower than either. But TBH, they seem to hit so much harder (15 shells helps lol) that 10 seconds is no big deal.

I don't feel the lack of IFHE either, the damage numbers are pretty respectable.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,573 posts
10,430 battles
4 hours ago, BBsquid said:

hows the 203 AP? Is she a better HE boat regardless of 155 or 203?

IMO, the 203 AP is..... ok. It certainly works well under 10km.

I think that's really the biggest difference, 203s can be cruiser killers closer in, whereas the 155s shred DDs, like CV rocket level shred.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 1

[BEA5T]
Members
5,286 posts
23,974 battles
On 8/14/2020 at 7:17 AM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I don't own the Lion but, the Ibuki is a neat ship !  If you like the Mogami at 155 you'll have as much fun in the Ibuki....  I play my Ibuki less than the Zao and the Mogami and will start a 19 point CPT effort in her next....  BTW, that AL Yukikaze with it's 200% XP missions, with my Kagero's 19 point CPT in charge, is making the Elite Commander XP simple !  I picked that ship up because you talked about her a week ago.....   Gosh, the Mogami is one of my most played ships !  Ibuki, not nearly as much though....  The Zoa is a super Mogami.  Her torp angles are a challenge but, in COOP a monster.