Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
VonSchoenvorts

Graf Zeppelin, my take and wishful thinking.

10 comments in this topic

Banned
120 posts
11,456 battles

Okay full disclosure, I am not a good CV player, I am probably a little below average at best. That said I do enjoy playing them at times (especially after getting sunk by a DD #Revenge). Now my favorite CV is the Graf Zeppelin, and of course anybody who knows CV's probably knows it isn't because of the planes which pretty much suck, it's because of those wonderful secondaries. 

Now here's a quick amateur review of the Graf Zeppelin for those who don't have one and are curious (keep in mind this is just my opinion). It has the usual rocket planes and they are pretty decent when they hit. The bombers are good and bad, good because you can citadel battleships and cruisers but bad because they are nearly useless against DD's because the bombs over pen 99.9% of the time. The torpedo planes are average, but the aiming speed is too slow and the planes are too fast. As for the ship's speed and maneuverability, it's a CV so it doesn't turn super fast but it can get up to 32 knots, a little faster with the signal. Where it shines is with the secondaries. When a full secondary build with the signal flag is used they have a tremendous fire rate and range for a CV, 9.4 km. Not only that but I would dare say they are the most accurate secondaries in the game. I have surprised quite a few DD's, cruisers and even injured battleships with those guns, they're just awesome. 

Now that is what is, let me tell you what I would like to be. Sure I would like a little better planes, but what I would like above anything else with that ship is a smoke generator. It would be amazing if this CV had a smoke generator so I could be more aggressive with it. I would also love a repair party too but that might be asking for too much. So WG if you read this, I sure would like a smoke generator for Christmas...or sooner.

• Meh 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,352 posts
6,951 battles

Last patch Zep was a god. 

Rocket nurf...jfc!

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

The torp planes are by far her best planes. The speed is great, the torps are a little bit slow but not so much you can't nail most ships if you lead properly. The rockets used to be great too, the slow speed meant you could nail DDs pretty easily, not so much now with the nerfed reticle. Now they are pretty bad because you just don't have enough of them to have consistent hits from any angle. The bombs are just bad, they are wildly inconsistent(although they feel more consistent than they were before the damage nerf) and even when they cit they have fairly low damage for the tier. At least the planes are fairly fast though. 

As you mentioned the secondaries are indeed monstrous but with her poor detection they are a but hard  to use find situations to use. Still, when you can find a chance they do the job amazingly well.

She probably needs a buff of some sort in my opinion. Tweaking the rockets and DBs to be 3 sets of 3(rather than 4 sets of 2) for added consistency without increasing her damage too much and maybe lowering her detection a little bit to increase the viability of her secondaries would be the dream but even one of those would be welcome.

• Meh 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,371 posts

I cannot quite kill one of those CV's yet, But I am plotting at the tech tree choosing my next candidate to get back there and sink a blade into the CV from back there. That does not happen too often in human games. If the CV driver is anything aware of the situation locally and not immersed in a strike halfway across map as they are sometimes.

Funny how humans can kill a enemy at a mile but does not see the knifer in online games as snipers. Ive enjoyed doing that too. I once got 17 lined in a titan hall waiting on one to explode the desk Obj inside a online game. slice slice slice. No one put together the death messages scrolling on chat as the sounds of slice approached each one. All of them brain dead. =)

If any of those would be even self aware of their immediate situation with enemies filling the hatch seeking them... they would be more effective.

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

i heard that myth of WG buffing GZ since the beggining of CV rework,after a whole year,nothing.

spreadsheet says she is OP,so no buffs.

spreadsheet says you are having fun with her.

[WOLFC]
Members
2,509 posts
5 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

spreadsheet says you are having fun with her.

Not just spreadsheet - the GZ is beloved by three groups

a) those who can't quite figure out CV play but still want to try something while being dangerous to opposing teams

b) secondary fiends

c) PVE players

There is a myth within much thought on this forum that every player wants to be the most efficient & effective.

Edited by Anonymous50

[UN1]
Members
1,385 posts
4,471 battles
On 8/14/2020 at 3:29 AM, VonSchoenvorts said:

Okay full disclosure, I am not a good CV player, I am probably a little below average at best. That said I do enjoy playing them at times (especially after getting sunk by a DD #Revenge). Now my favorite CV is the Graf Zeppelin, and of course anybody who knows CV's probably knows it isn't because of the planes which pretty much suck, it's because of those wonderful secondaries. 

Now here's a quick amateur review of the Graf Zeppelin for those who don't have one and are curious (keep in mind this is just my opinion). It has the usual rocket planes and they are pretty decent when they hit. The bombers are good and bad, good because you can citadel battleships and cruisers but bad because they are nearly useless against DD's because the bombs over pen 99.9% of the time. The torpedo planes are average, but the aiming speed is too slow and the planes are too fast. As for the ship's speed and maneuverability, it's a CV so it doesn't turn super fast but it can get up to 32 knots, a little faster with the signal. Where it shines is with the secondaries. When a full secondary build with the signal flag is used they have a tremendous fire rate and range for a CV, 9.4 km. Not only that but I would dare say they are the most accurate secondaries in the game. I have surprised quite a few DD's, cruisers and even injured battleships with those guns, they're just awesome. 

Now that is what is, let me tell you what I would like to be. Sure I would like a little better planes, but what I would like above anything else with that ship is a smoke generator. It would be amazing if this CV had a smoke generator so I could be more aggressive with it. I would also love a repair party too but that might be asking for too much. So WG if you read this, I sure would like a smoke generator for Christmas...or sooner.

GZ is a really good carrier, but it takes a bit to learn it's nuances. I think a lot of players find it a lot of fun to play, and more fun means better performance as you're willing to learn. 

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,015 posts
7,823 battles
On 8/14/2020 at 2:31 AM, Dr_Venture said:

Last patch Zep was a god. 

Rocket nurf...jfc!

GZ hasn't been a "GOD" since about 2017?   And the rockey nerf didn't kill it in the rework.. the global speed nerf put the biggest nail in its coffin after the rework...  everything since then, including the last patch,  was just more icing on the :etc_swear:cake.  

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
On 8/14/2020 at 4:29 AM, VonSchoenvorts said:

It is the best SEc, followed by Massachusetts.

Sign in to follow this