You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zenn3k

Can we PLEASE get better matchmaking?

36 comments in this topic

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles

For the 4th night of the past 5, my Win Rate has fallen, not because of my play, on the contrary, I'm top score in nearly EVERY loss I've had over these last 5 days...but these teams, they just don't play the game, they do everything possible wrong and lose the game half the time before it even begins.

I could only stand 1 single game tonight, which of course was a loss..the CV on my team, a Weser (who was pink as well) scored a base XP of...wait for it...64....SIXTY-FOUR....we killed 3 ships total, I in a bottom tier Graf Spee got one of those 3 kills, my division mate got another, we had maybe 4 competent players on the whole team, counting myself and my division mate, but since we were both T6 ships in a T8 game, we could do very little.

You folks wanna complain about something, start making a bigger fuss about these total STOMP games which make the game TRULY unplayable.   Its getting to the point where I seriously don't wanna load up the game, because lately it feels like there is an 75% chance you will pick the absolute WORST players and put them all on my team.    CVs, Radar, Torpedo Boats, HE spam...I can deal with all that, but I cannot take these horrendous players constantly all being put on the same side (stomp wins are just as bad, but at least they are wins) of the map, its ridiculous.    Design a better matchmaking system, something to balance the teams and spread the talent around better, any attempt to improve it would be better than what we have right now. 

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 3
  • Meh 1

[FRR]
Members
973 posts

Was in a GK. Already sunk, but WE WERE LEADING in points.

01:34 left
470 versus 450
Daring + Venezia vs Thunderer
Daring guarding the Cap
Thunderer with 3/4 HP left

THEN:

Venezia YOLO to Thunderer
Thunderer sinks Venezia
500 versus 520

WHAT THE fūçl<$%#+ WE TRIED SO HARD STILL WE LOST BECAUSE OF THAT VENEZIA PLAYER 

• Cool 2

Members
512 posts
15,408 battles
53 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

For the 4th night of the past 5, my Win Rate has fallen, not because of my play, on the contrary, I'm top score in nearly EVERY loss I've had over these last 5 days...but these teams, they just don't play the game, they do everything possible wrong and lose the game half the time before it even begins.

I could only stand 1 single game tonight, which of course was a loss..the CV on my team, a Weser (who was pink as well) scored a base XP of...wait for it...64....SIXTY-FOUR....we killed 3 ships total, I in a bottom tier Graf Spee got one of those 3 kills, my division mate got another, we had maybe 4 competent players on the whole team, counting myself and my division mate, but since we were both T6 ships in a T8 game, we could do very little.

You folks wanna complain about something, start making a bigger fuss about these total STOMP games which make the game TRULY unplayable.   Its getting to the point where I seriously don't wanna load up the game, because lately it feels like there is an 75% chance you will pick the absolute WORST players and put them all on my team.    CVs, Radar, Torpedo Boats, HE spam...I can deal with all that, but I cannot take these horrendous players constantly all being put on the same side (stomp wins are just as bad, but at least they are wins) of the map, its ridiculous.    Design a better matchmaking system, something to balance the teams and spread the talent around better, any attempt to improve it would be better than what we have right now. 

here'sa tip quit playing by yourself 

• Meh 4

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
11 minutes ago, lordholland4293 said:

He already said he was in a div.

There's just as many potatoes on each team...(OP)...I think your problem may be that because you see what your potatoes are doing you are playing conservatively because you aren't expecting any support...& not realizing that you could probably be more aggressive due to their potatoes not supporting their aggressive players...& you're not realizing that because you can't see them...but they are there.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos

[JEDI-]
Members
2,684 posts
6,903 battles

This has been brought up so many times here, seen many good arguments where a bunch of CC even get involved and try to explain why it won't happen and the problems that would arise if we did.

I will say though randoms solo is killing this game for me. 

Even if you play really well you are still dragged down by your team. Your WR plummets whether or not you played well, carrying 11 others isn't something many people can do. Its a pretty depressing feeling which really ruins any further enjoyment of the game itself.

WG refuses to give us something else to do though. They would rather spend time wasting resources and effort on events that are temporary rather than something that would give us relief from randoms.

• Cool 2

Members
177 posts
11,209 battles
1 hour ago, Zenn3k said:

You folks wanna complain about something, start making a bigger fuss about these total STOMP games which make the game TRULY unplayable.

Has been, I believe there's a list around here somewhere with all the post on this subject.

• Cool 1

[JEDI-]
Members
2,684 posts
6,903 battles

Cause these games are fuuuun....

Guess how this went?

seriouslywarships.jpg

I wish this was the only game like this tonight but nope. Not that lucky.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Meh 1

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
201 posts
5,497 battles

I did a two tailed t-test on the MM a while back. 

And what I've found is that MM is truly random, while randomness dictates that sooner or later you'll get losing streaks and absolute trash teams, randomness also dictates that you're equally likely to get good teams. 
So what it means is that the perception that "MM is not random" and therefore leads to losing streaks is strongly correlated with a psychological phenomenon known as "negativity bias" that leads people to strongly remember their losing streaks but forget about their winning streaks. 
When you look at the player statistics of people with 60+, 70%+ WR, my hypothesis is that they most likely receive the same MM as every other player, but the difference is on a long enough timeframe, they exert a rightward skew to the team's WR they are in, which they pull their WR up and reduces the lengths of losing streaks. Completely untested of course but what it boils down to is, "less QQ more pew pew". 

• Cool 3

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,840 battles
5 hours ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

WE LOST BECAUSE OF THAT VENEZIA PLAYER 

So every player that contributed to the reds 450 points up to that point just doesn't count, just the Venezia player? That guys issue was he contributed the LAST 70 points, not ALL of the red teams points, but losing the game is still his fault? Yeah, right.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
26,320 posts
30,329 battles
15 minutes ago, Umikami said:

So every player that contributed to the reds 450 points up to that point just doesn't count, just the Venezia player? That guys issue was he contributed the LAST 70 points, not ALL of the red teams points, but losing the game is still his fault? Yeah, right.

Umi, while it's easy to say that, the reality is that when a single player effs up spectacularly and costs his team the game, the blame absolutely does fall squarely on that player.

The problem with ArmoredFrost's example above (the Venezia player who seemingly cost his team a certain win) is that we don't know the whole story leading up to the Venezia getting himself killed.  He may not have been in a position to disengage from the enemy BB, for example.

But on the flip side, this is potentially an example of a player who doesn't give a damn about winning or losing.  And it's that sort of player that ruins this game for many other players who do.  Note that when I talk about players who do care about W/L, I'm not necessarily talking about people with great WR's.  A person with a 50% WR can still care about playing to win. 

[ENDO]
Members
205 posts
5,445 battles

All I want to see is larger game modes. 20v20 or something. I've always found better enjoyment in larger formats. The blowouts are getting really old. 

[REVY]
Members
2,837 posts
15,075 battles

so essentially, what I am reading here is the following:

Random games contain random players of random skill levels.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,468 posts
18,417 battles
8 hours ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

Venezia YOLO to Thunderer

I am assuming that up until that point, the Venezia had a safe place to hide and would not have been seen or shot at?

[FRR]
Members
973 posts
2 hours ago, Umikami said:

2 hours ago, Crucis said:

Umi, while it's easy to say that, the reality is that when a single player effs up spectacularly and costs his team the game, the blame absolutely does fall squarely on that player.

The problem with ArmoredFrost's example above (the Venezia player who seemingly cost his team a certain win) is that we don't know the whole story leading up to the Venezia getting himself killed.  He may not have been in a position to disengage from the enemy BB, for example.

But on the flip side, this is potentially an example of a player who doesn't give a damn about winning or losing.  And it's that sort of player that ruins this game for many other players who do.  Note that when I talk about players who do care about W/L, I'm not necessarily talking about people with great WR's.  A person with a 50% WR can still care about playing to win. 

We told him to stay dark, and to stay alive, since we were leading in points. It was just a matter of time. Unfortunately our appeals to him were not enough to persuade him from doing the right thing.

He went straight to the Thunderer (who still had around 65,000 HP left), launched his torpedoes left and right, then, unsurprisingly, he got deleted. His slow torpedoes did not even come close. Thunderer's AP shells ate his Venezia alive.

It was a good random battle, our flank was outnumbered but we held on—I even managed to dev strike a Slava. Truly frustrating that a certain win became a loss only because one player wasted all of the team's efforts with a last minute bad play.

Just now, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I am assuming that up until that point, the Venezia had a safe place to hide and would not have been seen or shot at?

Yes, he was near an island, and the Thunderer's guns were trained to port, away from our Venezia.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,349 posts
13,814 battles
8 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

For the 4th night of the past 5, my Win Rate has fallen,

so. your mad cause you lost more than you won. it seems you are asking for WG to create a stat based MM to help you win more. except. all its going to do is help you lose more... because if you are that good, then the MM will always expect you to carry and place equal but opposite (bad) players on your team for balance.  

8 hours ago, Zenn3k said:

about these total STOMP games

stomps can happen even when both teams are filled with good players. solid play can expose a flank or sink the last dd for the cap which leads collapse. being the reason the reds collapse is a fun part of the game. 

• Cool 1

[CHBK]
Members
1,042 posts
3,974 battles
8 hours ago, lordholland4293 said:

This.  Observe my win rates in each case:

In order, 3's, 2's and solo.  My solo win rate lately has been suffering bad, but I play enough 2's and 3's to prop up my overall.  In my opinion multiple at least alright players working together on comms has a much more significant impact on the game than a single unicum playing solo.  

image.thumb.png.b302ab9bca8e030bdcc165d3c6af4c5b.png

image.thumb.png.5caaea43d49a928dd8eab795058a1b2d.png

image.thumb.png.f311028cb95c5c25e625420c3308d9b0.png

Edited by Taco_De_Moist

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,840 battles
48 minutes ago, ArmoredFrostX said:

Truly frustrating that a certain win became a loss only because one player wasted all of the team's efforts with a last minute bad play.

3 hours ago, Crucis said:

This is hilarious; sad, but hilarious. Which one of you armchair quarterbacks is going to explain to me how the Venezia's team of dead heroes let a near full health Thunderer live until the final moments of the game? 65,000 HP sounds like a whole lot of somebodies didn't do their jobs and ignored the Thunderer because he was a tuff nut to crack. Like I said, it's easy to blame the last guy alive, but what about the ten dead guys who choked earlier without doing much of anything to the RN BB? The Venezia did do one thing the rest of his team didn't; he at least tried to take the Thunderer out. He certainly could have chosen a better method, but then again I guess those ten dead guys could have also.

And I love how the Daring was guarding the cap; from what, the worlds fastest Thunderer? There was no one else left, so why was he guarding anything? Is guarding the cap how you politely say hiding from the battleship?

Sad, but hilarious!

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[CHBK]
Members
1,042 posts
3,974 battles
4 minutes ago, Umikami said:

This is hilarious; sad, but hilarious. Which one of you armchair quarterbacks is going to explain to me how the Venezia's team of dead heroes let a near full health Thunderer live until the final moments of the game? 65,000 HP sounds like a whole lot of somebodies didn't do their jobs and ignored the Thunderer because he was a tuff nut to crack. Like I said, it's easy to blame the last guy alive, but what about the ten dead guys who choked earlier without doing much of anything to the RN BB? The Venezia did do one thing the rest of his team didn't; he at least tried to take the Thunderer out. He certainly could have chosen a better method, but then again I guess those ten dead guys could have also.

And I love how the Daring was guarding the cap; from what, the worlds fastest Thunderer? There was no one else left, so why was he guarding anything? Is guarding the cap how you politely say hiding from the battleship?

Sad, but hilarious!

I think its just easy to lay blame in those situations, because its more black and white and the microscope is on the player.  i.e. if he does X we win, if he does Y we don't.  It's not considered, what could the rest of the team have done throughout the match, so that winning or losing didn't rest on one persons shoulders.

I mean a lot of times people just get nervous and make mistakes in those situations where they outcome of the game rests squarely on their shoulders.

[SALVO]
Members
8,264 posts
6,122 battles
3 hours ago, MBRicochet said:

All I want to see is larger game modes. 20v20 or something. I've always found better enjoyment in larger formats. The blowouts are getting really old. 

Sign me in.

[-BUI-]
Members
2,703 posts
7,030 battles

Another awful day with awful teammates ruining the game.

Is there a limit to the size of the blacklist?  Cause I'm adding at least 6 in EVERY loss, first player to die, reported and blacklisted, worst score, reported and blacklisted.    I cannot take having the highest score on a terrible team GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME

Its getting extremely old and I will not spend anymore money on this game until this design failure is resolved, you do not deserve my money if you cannot provide an enjoyable experience because of your total incompetence in game design.

• Meh 1

[JEDI-]
Members
2,684 posts
6,903 battles
6 minutes ago, Zenn3k said:

Another awful day with awful teammates ruining the game.

Is there a limit to the size of the blacklist?  Cause I'm adding at least 6 in EVERY loss, first player to die, reported and blacklisted, worst score, reported and blacklisted.    I cannot take having the highest score on a terrible team GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME AFTER GAME

Its getting extremely old and I will not spend anymore money on this game until this design failure is resolved, you do not deserve my money if you cannot provide an enjoyable experience because of your total incompetence in game design.

If it helps man i know how you feel. Randoms have left me pretty frustrated lately as well.

Half the team melting in the first 5 mins leading to a prolonged loss, game after game is demoralizing.

That's when i fire up a game like DOOM and have fun. 

Getting denied our dopamine fix game after game is what kills this game. Dopamine is why most of us play games as it is. This game tends to deny you those hits. It's why losing in this game is so stressful too.

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,307 posts
4,773 battles

Those who don't understand RNG are doomed to go to Vegas.

• Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
565 posts
10,967 battles
On 8/14/2020 at 3:11 AM, Crucis said:

Just like real life. The people designing/building/testing software systems keep missing deadlines and then the team doing the actual install/setup gets the blame for missing the delivery dedline.