You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Changes to Submarines, EU Community Stream

118 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
24,533 posts
18,537 battles

https://www.twitch.tv/worldofwarships

Short version: BB and heavy cruiser get to call in a plane with a depth charge, up to 10km away from the ship. And a whole lot of other stuff.

Game changer. Go watch. Or watch the Youtube. 

• Cool 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 7
  • Meh 1

[WOLF8]
Members
8,128 posts
6,782 battles
28 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Short version: BB and heavy cruiser get to call in a plane with a depth charge, up to 10km away from the ship.

Finally, about time... lol.

Hopefully the plane isn't susceptible to AA fire, or it might be a real bonkers... lel. :Smile_hiding:

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Desperate salvage attempt for sub implementation?

• Cool 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Boring 2

[FORM]
Members
2,388 posts
13,548 battles

https://blog.worldofwarships.com/blog/60

SUBMARINE BATTLES RESULTS AND WORK ON SUBMARINES
We would like to thank all of you for participating in Submarine Battles and for your provided feedback. This test and your comments helped to steer our work on the new ship type:

Sonar ping mechanics were updated;
Battery charge mechanics were improved;
Anti-submarine warfare tools were added for battleships and heavy cruisers;
The transfer of information from allies' Hydrophones was implemented;
The detectability by sea of surface ships was lowered for submarines by one third.
Submarines will keep their features and act as stealthy hunters, but other classes will have means of countering them. Some illogical situations will be removed in a new iteration, and the gameplay load on destroyers will be lowered. 

Sonar ping

It is no longer needed for submarines to target indicators on a ship's bow and stern with sonar ping - just hitting the ship is sufficient. A successful hit will highlight part of the ship, the size of which is based on the width of the ping. Torpedoes will home in on this part, and a second ping hit on the highlighted part will allow torpedoes to ignore the target ship's torpedo protection. If a sonar ping hits a different part of the ship while the first ping effect is active, then the initial highlighted part will move to the new hit area. 

Therefore, for a submarine, scoring a successful sonar ping hit will be easier, but it will require more skill to activate the double-ping effect. 

The pinged part of the target ship's hull will also be highlighted for the player controlling that ship. In case there won't be direct visibility between the highlighted part and the incoming torpedoes, then the torpedoes will stop homing. This will give information about the general direction the submarine is attacking from and how to lower the torpedo attack effectiveness. 

Battery mechanics

During the test, battery recovered underwater while traveling at 1/4 speed, and the lack of penalties for low charge gave submarines an opportunity to remain all the time underwater with no significant obstacles.

Now, when a submarine is underwater, her battery charge will recover approximately up to 30% at any speed and will not be consumed in motion. At the same time, if the charge has dropped to 20%, then the maximum speed of the submarine and the width of the sonar ping will be reduced, and with a decrease in the charge to 10%, the viewing range, as well as the range of sonar pings and the illumination of the underwater world will decrease.

Anti-submarine armaments for battleships and heavy cruisers 

In the new test iteration, battleships and heavy cruisers will be able to call anti-submarine defense planes. When choosing this type of weapon, the camera rises, and the aiming reticle will allow the player to select a point within a radius of about 10 km, into which, after a while, an aircraft will drop a depth charge. Charges of anti-submarine armaments will be gradually restored, like the charges of depth charges. Battleships and heavy cruisers will be able to locate where approximately a submarine is with the help of hydrophone at a 3-5 km distance. 

Hydrophone

Now, the information about the approximate location of a submarine from hydrophones of all ships will be shared with allies, and the radius of a destroyer's hydrophone has been increased to about 7 km. This will lower some of the counter-submarine load from destroyers, although their depth charges are still the fastest and most effective way to destroy a submarine.

Detectability of ships from submarines

It's harder to detect a ship from a submarine than from a higher viewpoint: now, the base detectability of surface ships will be lowered by 1/3 for submarines. For example, a destroyer with a 6 km detectability range will be detected by submarine only from 4 km. At the same time, the average detectability range of a submarine on the surface is 4.5 - 5 km. If a ship fires, then for a submarine she will be visible from a distance equal to her firing range.

Other

It will require more time to dive from the surface to a depth that protects against HE weapons: the depth at which the submarine is hit by rockets, bombs, and shells has been increased from 6 to 10 meters;
The underwater world will be updated - adding various objects and improving the visual effect that illuminates the landscape will simplify navigation at depth;
Several minor changes and fixes

Some time will pass before the changes will be available in the new stage of Submarine Battles as we keep on developing mechanic and working on the game's stability. We will certainly share the info about when new Submarine Battles will take place. Until then, good luck in battle!

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 2

[ARGSY]
Members
24,533 posts
18,537 battles
9 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Hopefully the plane isn't susceptible to AA fire

It is. In addition, it cannot bomb other ships; only subs.

2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Desperate salvage attempt for sub implementation?

Salvage, my aft. They're coming. Embrace or depart.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 7
  • Meh 2

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
12 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

Finally, about time... lol.

Hopefully the plane isn't susceptible to AA fire, or it might be a real bonkers... lel. :Smile_hiding:

Lol that would be pretty hilarious. Then again, I think the plane would need to be saved for those solo Subs, and the BB will have to focus on surface ships as they do. 

[ARGSY]
Members
24,533 posts
18,537 battles
10 minutes ago, TheArc said:

The pinged part of the target ship's hull will also be highlighted for the player controlling that ship. In case there won't be direct visibility between the highlighted part and the incoming torpedoes, then the torpedoes will stop homing.

IOW if you take the ping on the bow and then swing your aft towards the sub, you break lock.

I suspect a lot of people will wear down their battery trying to get that second ping for the keelbreaker shot.

[R-F]
Members
333 posts
11,931 battles
15 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Desperate salvage attempt for sub implementation

I think we learned from the CV rework that regardless of how detrimental they may be to the game, they're coming no matter what the community wants. It is what it is. I've accepted that CVs are here to stay. If subs don't respect the games concealment mechanics the ways CVs don't I'll rail against them in the forums too. At least the sub actually has to be physically in the same zip code to do damage. 

Edited by Ossiuum
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[KWF]
Members
6,413 posts
7,157 battles
21 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Salvage, my aft. They're coming. Embrace or depart.

Will depart,  unless huge changes are made, thank you very much. 

I don't disagree that they could be fun and whatnot, but to me subs are being shoehorned into PvP cause reasons.

Meanwhile, no WWI subs (idk, that time period when subs almost turned the tide of the war in 1917), no Scenarios where subs could shine, no thematic PvP battles with sub presence (convoy defence for example), just an attempt to be able to say "our competitors don't have subs".

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 3

[ARGSY]
Members
24,533 posts
18,537 battles
3 minutes ago, Ossiuum said:

they're coming no matter what the community wants.

They're coming no matter what YOU and like-minded others want. Don't presume to think you are in the majority.

Don't presume to think everyone will fall into the same twisted, screeching, broken heap of foot-stamping rage that some people do every time they're faced with these things. I'm willing to bet a fair proportion of them will take the "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" approach and start playing CV and subs themselves. After all, if you're faced with an invincible super-weapon and you realize you can get access to that weapon yourself, wouldn't you? Wouldn't YOU want to be on the allegedly invincible death-dispensing end of the deal?

Ah, but then you get there and you find it's really not that easy. You have to work at it. And you get an appreciation of what life is like on the other side of the fence. The grass is not always greener on the CV or SS side of the fence.

• Cool 8
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 4
  • Meh 7

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,367 posts
6,999 battles

So the BB can call on a plane huh...

*lowkey backdoor hopes this thing isn't far behind*

ise01.jpg

• Cool 2

[-K--]
Beta Testers
4,579 posts

Almost Ready to be added to Clan battles.

A good Replacement for DD's is needed once they go back to T10.  We can get back to CV/Cruisers/Sub battles

[ARGSY]
Members
24,533 posts
18,537 battles
10 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

*lowkey backdoor hopes this thing isn't far behind*

Rear guns fire unexpectedly.

Entire air complement has to stand down to go change their flight suits. :Smile_trollface:

[FORM]
Members
2,388 posts
13,548 battles
23 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

IOW if you take the ping on the bow and then swing your aft towards the sub, you break lock.

I suspect a lot of people will wear down their battery trying to get that second ping for the keelbreaker shot.

If ships are working that hard to avoid sub torps they'll be giving up all kinds of good broadsides I'm sure. Much the way that CV torps (and EU torps,) seem to work now. 

Members
759 posts
10,621 battles
15 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

They're coming no matter what YOU and like-minded others want. Don't presume to think you are in the majority.

no you are just a vocal minority!!!!

only I know what everyone wants, from the accumulated experience of my nineteen thousand and sixty-five official forums posts

Edited by WernerHerzdog
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Haha 3

[ARGSY]
Members
24,533 posts
18,537 battles
1 minute ago, WernerHerzdog said:

only I know what everyone wants, from the accumulated experience of my 

Three years, thirteen thousand battles, broad experience in every ship type, and an ability to sit back and consider things in the cold light of day instead of exploding in rage every time something doesn't suit me.

I'm not saying I know what everyone wants. I'm saying you don't either.

• Cool 6
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 2

[PVE]
Members
7,377 posts

Interesting set of changes, all nerfs to subs.  Subs needed some adjustments, but they were not so strong to receive across the board nerfs.  This is going to make subs no fun to play (a guess).  Generally, people seem to be fine with these changes.  That says a lot really.  What it says is people don't see themselves playing subs, only playing against them; and they want all the advantages they can get. 

I'll raise this point too, if BBs and heavy cruisers are going ahistorical to be able to counter subs, are DDs going to be made ahistorical to at least be able to fight back against CVs?  All DDs with the ability to call in fighters?

Edited by Slimeball91

[ARGSY]
Members
24,533 posts
18,537 battles
1 minute ago, Slimeball91 said:

are DDs going to be made ahistorical to at least be able to fight back against CVs? 

It's called co-operating with the rest of your fleet, although if you want a DD that even comes close to being able to go it alone, try Halland. When I drive CV, I don't like having to attack them. The losses I take aren't worth it. Friesland is the one I next least like to face, and chasing a DD into a crowd of heavier ships that chop my planes up and force either a recall or an eventual total loss of the squadron doesn't make me all that happy either.

• Cool 4
  • Boring 2

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
52 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Sounds like they're making an effort to address the issues we brought up, at least. 

Yes they are.

I dont really like subs, to play with or against it. Maybe i can change my mind later.

[PVE]
Members
7,377 posts
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's called co-operating with the rest of your fleet, although if you want a DD that even comes close to being able to go it alone, try Halland. When I drive CV, I don't like having to attack them. The losses I take aren't worth it. Friesland is the one I next least like to face, and chasing a DD into a crowd of heavier ships that chop my planes up and force either a recall or an eventual total loss of the squadron doesn't make me all that happy either.

That's not the point.  DD players have been very persistent with their feedback, there are serious problems with the CV/DD interaction.  It falls on deaf ears for over a year and half of live game play.  BB and cruisers players raise concerns and their feedback is listened to in testing.  Don't sidestep the question at hand.  Why is okay for some ships types to have little or no counter play options, but not okay for others?

If you want to bring up Halland/Friesland, okay.  Let WG give one CA and one BB the ASW planes.  How does that sound to everyone?  Does that sound balanced or stupid?

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1