You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
xalmgrey

I'm finding XVM to be accurate most of the time.

33 comments in this topic

[JEDI-]
Members
2,684 posts
6,902 battles

I don't usually run XVM, but i have been for a week or more and i'm finding that it's pretty accurate. The side with better WR wins pretty much all the time. Save for a couple times i've seen a miracle.

Yes i'm sure there's people going to say to not run it and basically enjoy "not knowing"

However when you "know" it gets rather depressing.

I don't have any suggestions for this, i've seen the SBMM arguments from both sides. 

The best games seems to happen when the WR between teams is pretty equal. But if you find one at 47% and one at 50%+ It's generally going to be a bad time.

Doesn't make it any less frustrating though.

Just needed to vent a bit.

• Cool 3
  • Meh 3

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,684 posts
23,726 battles

How do you get XVM for ships?

How do you enable it?

Can you run it on same monitor like XVM for tanks?

[RLGN]
Members
16,178 posts
28,072 battles

Perhaps you can answer a question I have about XVM.

What exactly does it show? An overall rating of a player themselves? Or a rating as it relates to the ship they bring?

For example; if I played my Warspite in a game where someone else was running XVM; would what they saw be any different than if I went home after work, bought a Pommern, (or any other ship for that matter,) and were playing it for the very first time?

[TIMT]
Members
1,707 posts
5,589 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Not sure about XVM, but I used MM monitor for a while. It is an external program you have running in the background that basically lists the stats of the players in the game. You can customize it to show the stats you are more interested in (global WR or PR vs ship WR etc.). You can also get the average, weighted average etc. for the teams.

It can be useful to see which players to focus or from whom to expect help, but I found (and many others appear to agree) that it can 'mess with your head' in that you get more salty or write off matches before they have begun just looking at the numbers. After two weeks I stopped using it because I enjoyed games more without it.

• Cool 3

Members
558 posts
5,048 battles

Knowing who to focus would be the only reason I would consider it, although if what happens is like I suspect one team ends up full of people who need to be focused and it just isn't really possible.

Otherwise if I can potato myself to a 55% solo winrate without knowing, then I feel like I'm just fine without the gloom that a red vs purple XVM would bring. 

Members
759 posts
10,621 battles
45 minutes ago, xalmgrey said:

I don't usually run XVM, but i have been for a week or more and i'm finding that it's pretty accurate. The side with better WR wins pretty much all the time. Save for a couple times i've seen a miracle.

It's not really surprising that the team with better win rate usually wins, that's what win rate means after all. If you bet that the team with the higher average win rate wins (or even simpler, the team with fewer red players on MM monitor) you'll do a lot better than random chance. It's easy to convince yourself that it doesn't work because probability is counterintuitive, but it works pretty well.

The question isn't whether it works but whether it's useful. You can definitely get information out of matchmaking monitor, but just focusing good players isn't a terribly effective strategy due to how warships game mechanics work (focus the potatoes, you can kill them faster), and if seeing your teammates' stats makes you mad it isn't worth it.

19 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

What exactly does it show? An overall rating of a player themselves? Or a rating as it relates to the ship they bring?

For example; if I played my Warspite in a game where someone else was running XVM; would what they saw be any different than if I went home after work, bought a Pommern, (or any other ship for that matter,) and were playing it for the very first time?

By default MM monitor shows your overall win rate as well as your number of games, damage, win rate, and PR in the ship you're playing.

Beta Testers
99 posts
20,463 battles

I run wows monitor (usually only during ranked) and to be perfectly honest the wr% is usually a bad metric to judge on. I’ve seen plenty of low wr% teams triumph. I generally find higher Pr and xp ratings to be a better determination. I usually use it to try and determine biggest threats and who I can likely rely on for support.

[RLGN]
Members
16,178 posts
28,072 battles
7 minutes ago, WernerHerzdog said:

By default MM monitor shows your overall win rate as well as your number of games, damage, win rate, and PR in the ship you're playing.

Then it would show my 50.02%-ish wr; then 240, 50%, and 919 in Warspite; but 0, 0%, 0, if I ran a Pommern for the first time?

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

I hate forgone conclusions. XVM is coveted only by Charlatans and Jezabels who've lost their joy in these games and will cause the innocent and unskilled to have there joy stolen by them. It's oil in the water, poison in the well. 

Edited by thebigblue
  • Cool 5
  • Boring 1

[UNHLY]
Members
5,030 posts
14,137 battles
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Then it would show my 50.02%-ish wr; then 240, 50%, and 919 in Warspite; but 0, 0%, 0, if I ran a Pommern for the first time?

From MM monitor screenshots I’ve seen in the past (and assuming others would work in a similar manner), it would show something along the lines of ‘too few battles’ for the ship stats. Account stats of course would show either way if you have a public account that’s old enough to display stats in the external API. 

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
99 posts
20,463 battles
20 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Generally you can set it to show the stats even if they have less than 5 games. It’s also specific to the game mode so when in ranked it defaults to only ranked game stats but allows you to flip it to show randoms.

• Cool 1

[GOB]
Members
2,736 posts

This little tool is responsible for far too many pouty children quitting from the start of the match because they may have to actually WORK for the win.

Shouldn't be allowed.

Had a guy this morning say how easy it was to just go AFK for the win when he knew it was going to be lopsided.

HE HAD A GK!!!

We could have used his help.

Edited by Col_Nasty

[PVE]
Members
243 posts
8,493 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Currently MMM has three lines of info. First line is the same regardless of ship. For you it would show:

[RLGN] Estimated_Prophet     Account Winrate: 50.26%     Account Battles: 9,681     Karma: #

Second line is for your ship. For your Warspite it would show:

Warspite (Tier VI)    Winrate: 50.00%    Battles: 240    Wins: 120

Third line is also for your ship (Warspite):

PR: 919    Avg Damage: 36,499    Avg Frags: 0.79    Avg XP: 1,204

For the Pommern it would show the ship name and tier, and  'Player has no battles on this ship yet.'

Members
759 posts
10,621 battles

20 minutes ago, Ban_CV_Complainers said:

Hidden stats for the win. Got to keep em guessing.

Hidden stats don't really keep anyone guessing. There are few enough above average players with hidden stats that you can just remember their names and assume everyone else with hidden stats is a potato.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[RLGN]
Members
16,178 posts
28,072 battles
5 minutes ago, Amaruk said:

Currently MMM has three lines of info. First line is the same regardless of ship. For you it would show:

[RLGN] Estimated_Prophet     Account Winrate: 50.26%     Account Battles: 9,681     Karma: #

Second line is for your ship. For your Warspite it would show:

Warspite (Tier VI)    Winrate: 50.00%    Battles: 240    Wins: 120

Third line is also for your ship (Warspite):

PR: 919    Avg Damage: 36,499    Avg Frags: 0.79    Avg XP: 1,204

For the Pommern it would show the ship name and tier, and  'Player has no battles on this ship yet.'

Thanks.

Figured something along those lines, but since I’ve never used a monitor, I was curious.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,607 posts
13,182 battles
1 hour ago, exray0 said:

Knowing who to focus would be the only reason I would consider it, although if what happens is like I suspect one team ends up full of people who need to be focused and it just isn't really possible.

Otherwise if I can potato myself to a 55% solo winrate without knowing, then I feel like I'm just fine without the gloom that a red vs purple XVM would bring. 

With a 55% win rate, there's nothing that XVM could tell you that you're accumulated skills and experience wouldn't do a better job of.

[CLUMP]
Members
1,885 posts
2,412 battles
49 minutes ago, thebigblue said:

I hate forgone conclusions. XVM is coveted only by Charlatans and Jezabels who've lost their joy in these games and will cause the innocent and unskilled to have there joy stolen by them. It's oil in the water, poison in the well. 

Yeah it became so toxic that wargaming made an anonymous option for WOT  :Smile_teethhappy:

Members
759 posts
10,621 battles
16 minutes ago, SgtBeltfed said:

With a 55% win rate, there's nothing that XVM could tell you that you're accumulated skills and experience wouldn't do a better job of.

Mostly it's easy to tell who the good and bad players are by the time you care, but if you're going to push behind a DD early game it's really useful to know whether or not the DD is going to immediately suicide into radar in a cap, and you can't really tell that without seeing its stats.

• Boring 1

[REX-I]
Members
102 posts
12,610 battles

I’ve started using potatoalert over MMM, a more light weight option.

90% of the time you know the winner of the match before it begins, so it is frustrating.

i can play cv at a pretty high level, so I enjoy hiding my stats. Everyone running MMM assume I stink, so they dismiss me, lol

• Boring 1

[JEDI-]
Members
2,684 posts
6,902 battles
37 minutes ago, WernerHerzdog said:

Mostly it's easy to tell who the good and bad players are by the time you care, but if you're going to push behind a DD early game it's really useful to know whether or not the DD is going to immediately suicide into radar in a cap, and you can't really tell that without seeing its stats.

This right here is why i use it. 

Not to call people out or stat shame etc.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,607 posts
13,182 battles
31 minutes ago, WernerHerzdog said:

Even the DD's are pretty easy to tell, you watch how the approach a cap or how they otherwise behave. Bad ones are usually easy to spot, as are the good ones.

[BOTES]
Members
31 posts
12,028 battles

XVM is more useful in ranked.

It can tell you right away if you're playing for the win or to save a star.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
3,496 posts
7,388 battles
3 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

However when you "know" it gets rather depressing.

That is why people say this: 

3 hours ago, xalmgrey said:

Yes i'm sure there's people going to say to not run it and basically enjoy "not knowing"