Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Zeppyfriend

Camping behind islands

12 comments in this topic

[BTBG]
Members
2 posts
767 battles

i find the fact that people love to hide behind islands or more like hug them and still are able to shoot over them i just played a game that thats all the person did. and i just feel that its an little unfair because the person is able to shoot over the island while they are hugging it and others cant 

Members
1,404 posts
1,852 battles
8 minutes ago, Zeppyfriend said:

i find the fact that people love to hide behind islands or more like hug them and still are able to shoot over them i just played a game that thats all the person did. and i just feel that its an little unfair because the person is able to shoot over the island while they are hugging it and others cant

sorry, but that issue is for BuOrd, the devs just made it realistic

Members
179 posts
2,596 battles

The game is balanced around squishy ships like cruisers using hard island cover to survive. There's a reason ocean as a map is hated. A lot of usn ships really depend on using island cover.

[O_O]
[O_O]
Members
5,452 posts
23,786 battles

It's an allowed - necessary (for some) - tactic.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,737 posts
21,656 battles

I too find it unfair when people play to the strengths of their ships and employ actual tactics. Why, they all should just line up and fight it out like a man! None of that ungentlemanly stuff like trying to find advantages and fighting on their terms against me, how dare they!

• Funny 1

[FRR]
Members
967 posts
1 hour ago, Zeppyfriend said:

I know how it feels. I can still remember how frustrating it was.

However, it is a valid tactic, and there are ways to avoid that. 

[WOLF7]
Members
898 posts
21 minutes ago, Lert said:

I too find it unfair when people play to the strengths of their ships and employ actual tactics. Why, they all should just line up and fight it out like a man! None of that ungentlemanly stuff like trying to find advantages and fighting on their terms against me, how dare they!

^^^ IJN strategy in a nutshell.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kantai_Kessen

[WOLFG]
Members
33,529 posts
10,430 battles
1 hour ago, Zeppyfriend said:

True, but it's also unfair that you can sit at 18km and hit targets with relatively flat shooting guns, when those ships that would normally be shooting over islands, have 2-3km less range. And even if they did have the range, the ballistic arcs that allow them to shoot over islands means they'd never hit anything.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,529 posts
10,430 battles
53 minutes ago, Lert said:

TBH, I don't like the whole island-hugging thing either. I do shoot over islands, but I don't sit in one spot and spam. 

I wish that that the mechanics were such that any sort of stationary tactic was a bad idea. Maybe that's part of why I'm ok with CVs, they punish that sort of thing.

I don't like the whole stationary thing, because I consider it possibly the most jarring piece of unrealism in the game. AFAIK, "speed is life" is a military maxim, be it on the water, in the air, or in a tank.

Edited by Skpstr
  • Cool 2

[WDS]
[WDS]
Members
4,406 posts
12,603 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

TBH, I don't like the whole island-hugging thing either. I do shoot over islands, but I don't sit in one spot and spam. 

I wish that that the mechanics were such that any sort of stationary tactic was a bad idea. Maybe that's part of why I'm ok with CVs, they punish that sort of thing.

Yes I have to agree with this well said . 

[TIMT]
Members
1,700 posts
5,581 battles
4 hours ago, Skpstr said:

I don't like the whole stationary thing, because I consider it possibly the most jarring piece of unrealism in the game. AFAIK, "speed is life" is a military maxim, be it on the water, in the air, or in a tank.

True, the thing is that is how the game engine etc are designed. Islands, their 'hight', your ships size, speed, and accuracy are all modeled for gameplay and not realism.  Also, engagements would take hours instead of minutes if they were to scale everything correctly.

It is more like model ships in a very shiny diorama shooting at each other than a simulation. I would love to have more 'realism' in the game in the form of more involved fire control, sensors etc. but that is not this game. The developers made a few fundamental choices when designing the underlying game engine and they now have to work with that.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,529 posts
10,430 battles
19 minutes ago, shinytrashcan said:

True, the thing is that is how the game engine etc are designed. Islands, their 'hight', your ships size, speed, and accuracy are all modeled for gameplay and not realism.

No argument there, looking at it another way, it's taken time for the majority to realise that sitting still, and/or otherwise really utilising that terrain has the potential to be beneficial.

What we're seeing IMO is the result of the vast majority trying, and failing, to realise that potential.

It's like people don't realise that you're often better to stick with generalised and mediocre, yet comfortable gameplay, than to continually try using specific and optimal gameplay that you can't execute for crap.

Sure, maybe you'll never get decent at that specific gameplay if you don't keep trying, but while you and thousands of others are trying, you're mostly failing, and causing what we see.

WG has contributed to this with their design decisions, but have also doubled down on it with lines like the US CLs. Instead of trying to influence the meta with new ship lines, they let the meta influence the new ship lines.

Edited by Skpstr

Sign in to follow this