You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Merc_R_Us

Are there notes that explain the XP Nerf to CVs?

31 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles

Recently I'm noticing that I'm consistently ending up in the middle or bottom half for XP gains when I usually get much better than that. It's peculiar because I'm doing huge amounts of damage as a % of a ships hp pool in the Manfred, yet I hardly ever break the top 3. 

Was there a nerf to the XP gains?

Edited by Merc_R_Us
  • Cool 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
2,332 posts
23,759 battles

I don't believe anything recent has happened....  That said, don't confuse "huge amounts of damage" ver high HP targets as opposed to DDs.  You burn down BBs over time you will not likely get higher then mid.  You alpha strike the DDs and cruisers.  Higher XP (% of total HP of target).  

• Meh 2

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
5 minutes ago, Warped_1 said:

I don't believe anything recent has happened....  That said, don't confuse "huge amounts of damage" ver high HP targets as opposed to DDs.  You burn down BBs over time you will not likely get higher then mid.  You alpha strike the DDs and cruisers.  Higher XP (% of total HP of target).  

Fixed it, percent of a Ships HP pool

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
16 minutes ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Manfred damages bigger ships more easily than other nations CVs...thus meaning you focus more on damaging bigger HP ships rather than smaller HP ships.

Right, but I'm doing a huge percentage of their HP as a %. Idk this seems off to me but maybe just me.

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,367 posts
6,999 battles

I can do 120K dmg in my Manfred and get midway through the scores. I go 170K and I'm near the top. Maybe other players are doing better than I am?

[WPORT]
Members
9,977 posts
14,437 battles
1 hour ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Recently I'm noticing that I'm consistently ending up in the middle or bottom half for XP gains when I usually get much better than that. It's peculiar because I'm doing huge amounts of damage as a % of a ships hp pool in the Manfred, yet I hardly ever break the top 3. 

AP Bombs were nerfed for pretty much every CV that was equipped with them.
That happened some weeks ago, though.

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,351 posts
13,338 battles

About a year ago, there was a T10 Ranked season where CVs were allowed to enter post-rework.  It was the first one they could participate in.

Naturally, the CVs lived until the end of the match by playing safely, and were able to attack for a 10-15 minute duration consistently.  This lead to an overabundance of saved stars just by virtue of being alive longer to attack.

After the conclusion of the season, the XP formula for Tier 10 CV Base XP was dropped roughly 30%.  Also, the Tier 8 CV Base XP was dropped around 10%.  It's stated in a patch somewhere along the way, but I don't remember which it was off-hand.  Perhaps 8.4 or so?

The XP values haven't been altered back, so Base XP still tends to feel pretty low in general at the higher tiers.

Edited by Ahskance
  • Cool 2
  • Thanks 3

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
5 minutes ago, Ahskance said:

About a year ago, there was a T10 Ranked season where CVs were allowed to enter post-rework.  It was the first one they could participate in.

Naturally, the CVs lived until the end of the match by playing safely, and were able to attack for a 10-15 minute duration consistently.  This lead to an overabundance of saved stars just by virtue of being alive longer to attack.

After the conclusion of the season, the XP formula for Tier 10 CV Base XP was dropped roughly 30%.  Also, the Base XP for Tier 8 CV Base XP was dropped around 10%.  It's stated in a patch somewhere along the way, but I don't remember which it was off-hand.  Perhaps 8.4 or so?

The XP values haven't been altered back, so Base XP still tends to feel pretty low in general at the higher tiers.

Gotcha thanks

Members
2,845 posts
15,122 battles

Right, but I'm doing a huge percentage of their HP as a %. Idk this seems off to me but maybe just me.

Shooting and damaging DDs did give out higher XP rewards. So does spotting.

The German CV line is different then the previous CV lines. I would suggest trying different playing styles and see where that leads you.

[KSC]
WoWS Community Contributors
1,351 posts
13,338 battles

Ah, found the thread I made at the time.

SuperTest Coordinator, Beta Testers
7,035 posts
13,163 battles

At a basic level, doing % of damage is more important than doing a lot of damage.

From a kill perspective, killing a non-SE Shimakaze is worth just as much as killing a SE Kremlin. One is about 20K damage, the other is about 110K damage (minus repairs). If you're playing German  CVs, you're going after bigger fish, which have bigger proportional HP pools and bigger damage numbers, but less % HP pools.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,024 posts
7,867 battles

CV XP  is really just about crazy at this point.. I know they wanted to cater to the gripe about ranked, but it's effect on grinding them in randoms is pretty tough. I've started working the KM CV lines and am really not looking forward to this..   The German CV grind from T8-T10 is at 382K  XP including the B hull is already pretty insane.. (not even including the upgraded planes? 54K)   Now think about doing it at somewhere around 30%  10% less xp.     I'm not clear on  why they couldn't have just changed the XP earnings in ranked  or changed the conditions for CVs earning a star??  But I guess that was just too much work.   It's more than a little penal.    Just another day for a CV player in WOWS

Edited by iRA6E
  • Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
33,679 posts
10,473 battles
6 hours ago, Merc_R_Us said:

AP citting BBs and CAs is no comparison to HE nuking DDs, as far as %HP goes.

That's the issue IMO, KM CVs are deprived of any means of appreciably damaging the most lucrative (in terms of rewards) targets.

I don't know how handy you are at torping DDs, but that's going to be something you'll want to do to keep rewards up.

• Cool 1

[SF-13]
[SF-13]
Members
596 posts
9,019 battles
On 8/12/2020 at 7:28 PM, Skpstr said:

That's the issue IMO, KM CVs are deprived of any means of appreciably damaging the most lucrative (in terms of rewards) targets.

I don't know how handy you are at torping DDs, but that's going to be something you'll want to do to keep rewards up.

Yeah, this is part of the problem.  There were two nerfs:

1)  The one Brushwolf named:

On 8/12/2020 at 1:32 PM, Wolfswetpaws said:

AP Bombs were nerfed for pretty much every CV that was equipped with them.

This was an unnecessary, close to 20% nerf of AP bomb damage that was already very low compared to what happened historically and also compared to almost any other ship's AP damage per shell.  (8-12 shell volley with 13k per AP shell max damage on many BBs -- 2 cits equals deleted CL)

2)  The other nerf was a thinly disguised, but severe one.  Rocket planes are now pretty useless against DDs since they are now designed to fly straight forward and miss the DD if it merely turns to head straight at you or travels straight away from you.  Try it out in the Training room with a Tier 6 CV and see if any rockets hit at all.  I tested it and only got maybe 0-2 (average one) when attacking that way.  Since a DD can turn on a dime, and they all know about the new nerf, you won't be getting any more broadsides against them unless they are grounded.

So, AP bombs, which are hard to do and take a lot of practice and "skill"  (something WG hates) will get even less than the tiny amount they got before compared to other ships,  and rockets are no longer effective against DDs, which means that a CV no longer has a counter to a DD other than to fly in circles above it while your teammates shoot at it.  This may kill the DD, but does not earn you anything in the way of XP or credits.

Also, for an average to good player, the chance of even getting Confederate has been taken away by the double nerf when playing below Tier X.

(I did see one super unicum player get three achievements at Tier 6, but the other CV on his team did nothing -- 0 XP, so he was not competing against it for damage or XP.  Having 2 CVs on each side also reduces your chances of getting more XP and credits.)

I now know how the original CV players felt after the rework:  a lot of time and skill wasted on a ship type that will not be allowed to succeed.

Good luck.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,679 posts
10,473 battles

2 hours ago, Nordlaender said:

The other nerf was a thinly disguised, but severe one.  Rocket planes are now pretty useless against DDs since they are now designed to fly straight forward and miss the DD if it merely turns to head straight at you or travels straight away from you.  Try it out in the Training room with a Tier 6 CV and see if any rockets hit at all.  I tested it and only got maybe 0-2 (average one) when attacking that way.  Since a DD can turn on a dime, and they all know about the new nerf, you won't be getting any more broadsides against them unless they are grounded.

It's no different than US rocket planes have always been. (except Tiny Tims)

I'm ok with it, as using IJN/RN rockets on DDs was a no-brainer. Now angle matters for everybody, no exceptions.

My only beef with any of the reticles is with that of the KM rocket planes. The unique behaviour of it isn't the problem, well, not directly anyway.

Because the reticle goes past the target, if the target is on fire, shell splashes, etc, the color that works so well against a plain sea background, is hard to see, so you often can't tell where your reticle is until it's too late.

[SGSS]
Members
6,224 posts
On 8/12/2020 at 12:10 PM, Merc_R_Us said:

Why do you care if your in the t10? There is no where to go.

[SF-13]
[SF-13]
Members
596 posts
9,019 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

My only beef with any of the reticles is with that of the KM rocket planes. The unique behaviour of it isn't the problem, well, not directly anyway.

Because the reticle goes past the target, if the target is on fire, shell splashes, etc, the color that works so well against a plain sea background, is hard to see, so you often can't tell where your reticle is until it's too late.

I definitely agree with you on this.  It is just stupid to have a reticle that starts on the target, then zooms out way beyond it, then rushes back over it, leaving you guessing as to when, exactly, it will be on the target.  It works the opposite way of the other CVs, yet it's form was adopted for ALL CVs.  Just stupid.

To have any chance of firing while on target, I always click the white part just before it reaches the ship.  That way it zooms to the ship, then comes back, then stays green in one place.  It's weird, but that's WG for you.  Everything has to be a gimmick of some kind just so they can say it is different.

As for the angle thing, I disagree.  It already takes too long for planes to reach their target, so adding time wandering around in the air for a better angle while losing planes to massive AA fire from DDs is not fun at all.  You only get maybe one pass, so if you don't do it fast enough, it won't get done at all.

Edited by Nordlaender
grammatical

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
2 hours ago, Skpstr said:

It's no different than US rocket planes have always been. (except Tiny Tims)

I'm ok with it, as using IJN/RN rockets on DDs was a no-brainer. Now angle matters for everybody, no exceptions.

It's fine for CVs that can saturate the reticle but the nerf absolutely ruined the rockets of CVs with low rocket count strikes like GZ.

• Thanks 1

[WOLFG]
Members
33,679 posts
10,473 battles
11 hours ago, Nordlaender said:

I definitely agree with you on this.  It is just stupid to have a reticle that starts on the target, then zooms out way beyond it, then rushes back over it, leaving you guessing as to when, exactly, it will be on the target.  It works the opposite way of the other CVs, yet it's form was adopted for ALL CVs.  Just stupid.

All of which is ok, I can certainly get used to a different reticle behaviour.

I just need to be able to see it. I wonder if there's a mod to change the colour or brighten the reticles up.

11 hours ago, Nordlaender said:

As for the angle thing, I disagree.  It already takes too long for planes to reach their target, so adding time wandering around in the air for a better angle while losing planes to massive AA fire from DDs is not fun at all.  You only get maybe one pass, so if you don't do it fast enough, it won't get done at all.

Again though, it's nothing US planes haven't been dealing with all along. Even with Tiny Tims, except the reticle goes the other way.

And TBH, even with the US planes, you could still get effective hits at oblique angles. It was just the straight-on attacks. I haven't really had any issues with IJN and RN planes other than a bit less damage.

It's possible though, that KM planes end up getting a health buff as a result of taking more losses flying around, as the HP seem to fall farther and farther behind the IJN (next lowest HP) as you move up tiers.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,679 posts
10,473 battles
11 hours ago, Tekina_ said:

It's fine for CVs that can saturate the reticle but the nerf absolutely ruined the rockets of CVs with low rocket count strikes like GZ.

TBH, does anybody else have low rocket count like that?

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,024 posts
7,867 battles
10 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Saipan...  even less rockets than GZ 

• Thanks 1

Members
58 posts
7,566 battles

I wonder how the number of games to get to tier 10 in a cv compares to other ship types for the average player 

[WOLFG]
Members
33,679 posts
10,473 battles
2 hours ago, iRA6E said:

Saipan...  even less rockets than GZ 

I'm guessing that's Tiny Tims though. 

All that really happened to those was the reticle flipping 90°.

[SF-13]
[SF-13]
Members
596 posts
9,019 battles
6 hours ago, Skpstr said:

I do.  Really low now even against stationary broadside targets.  Plus, there was a secret nerf to damage.  It takes way more rockets to kill a DD now.

I can't expend 150 rockets to try and kill just one DD (50 hits).  It is no longer worth the effort and it hurts not only you, but your team as well.

Dropping torps on them has killed a few for me, but mostly the torps were wasted.

You seem to be an apologist for WG.  I guess you like not being able to gain any achievements below Tier X unless you are in a BB.

Can't understand why you blow this off.  If the same happened to BBs, the game would be locked up with protesters the next day.