You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Formosa_Straight

DD Game Play - What Am I Doing Wrong!

9 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
3,760 battles

Okay, so I have been having a go at using the DARING. Firstly I am not sure if it just a small Minotaur or if the Minotaur is just a big DARING. In any event I fight them about the same. I don't rush in and I try to ambush as much as possible and farm damage from behind shelter. Recently though I have been getting smashed while inside a smoke screen. For instance, in the game I just finished, I had fired a torpedo spread towards a BB coming through a small gap between some islands, at that point the BB was just outside visual detection range, the next closest enemy ship was over 12km away. I popped the smoke just as the BB entered visual detection range (maybe left that a smidge late) and he got a salvo off at me from his forward turrets and got some damage in on me. The smoke screen finished spreading and I was reversing in behind an island for cover. At this moment I was completely hidden behind the island from him, he had absolutely no line of sight on me and then a hail of rounds come in from about 3 other enemy ships with the closest of the 3 being about 11Km away. As I said, the BB was about 3km away from me but on the other side of the island. I was fully hidden in a smoke screen. The were no radar detection icons on the screen, so how did the enemy lay down such accurate fire into my smoke screen resulting in me being sunk. I could kind of understand it if I had stayed in the same place as when I first popped the smoke, but I didn't I had reversed inside the smoke screen to take cover behind the island. Is there something I am doing wrong in this situation to allow the enemy to sight me and shoot so accurately at me?  I'm kind of new to DD play and really want to improve how I play this. But this sort of thing seems to happen to me repeatedly so either I am doing something wrong, i.e. bad tactical thinking or there is something I still need to learn about evasion and smoke screens. Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,153 battles
1 hour ago, Formosa_Straight said:

As I said, the BB was about 3km away from me but on the other side of the island. I was fully hidden in a smoke screen. The were no radar detection icons on the screen, so how did the enemy lay down such accurate fire into my smoke screen resulting in me being sunk

They already knew where you were -- in the smoke. It's easy to hit you, since your position is obvious.

In high tier matches sitting in smoke is almost always a quick trip back to port. You use smoke to disengage and run away, especially in a UK DD. 

Have you thought about going back down to a low tier DD to practice your DD skills? It seems like you will pile up stats in the Daring that you will later regret having, without really learning anything. You're better off starting with a lower tier IJN DD so you can master game flow and positioning, or a US DD if you want to learn the smoke/gun pattern of play, or get a premium like Okhotnik that forces you to think a lot about positioning and how to kill things with guns. 

Edited by Taichunger

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,850 battles
3 hours ago, Formosa_Straight said:

Any pointers would be appreciated.

@Taichunger is right, smoke is for LEAVING! Hanging out in RN smoke is just asking to get hammered.

0 posts

If you smoke up and are spotted as you slow down, expect to take damage. It's rare to take enough damage to kill you from full health, but 5-6k damage isn't unusual, since competent marksmen will get a shot on you with lock-on and accurately predict your position as you slow down. 

But if you smoke up from stealth and farm that way, it is much harder for your to be blind-fired. Very good players can do it and competent payers can get lucky, but I rarely have problems when I farm from smoke, even in high-tier matches. One exception is other DDs. If you smoke up and are firing away, it's pretty easy for other dd's to get shots on you based on muzzle flash, but this rarely causes more than a few K of damage. 

If you are taking a lot of damage consistently when farming from smoke, pay attention to whether you are getting yourself spotted as you lay the smoke. That is the most likely cause of repetitive heavy damage. Wait for your screen to cover you, then start farming. It will be much harder to eat those devestating salvos that way. 

• Cool 3

[-NOM-]
Members
16 posts
2,777 battles

What the others have said is right- the ships probably fired just as you got undetected within the smokescreen; usually, they do that if there's no better target in the area to shoot. In any case, I think that sending a replay for us to review will probably let us help you more since we can point out positioning mistakes and things like that which ultimately ended up getting you sunk. Glad to see that you're willing to learn and improve though, that attitude will surely help you on your way to becoming a good player!

• Cool 1

Members
4 posts
3,760 battles
On 8/12/2020 at 6:01 PM, Taichunger said:

They already knew where you were -- in the smoke. It's easy to hit you, since your position is obvious.

In high tier matches sitting in smoke is almost always a quick trip back to port. You use smoke to disengage and run away, especially in a UK DD. 

Have you thought about going back down to a low tier DD to practice your DD skills? It seems like you will pile up stats in the Daring that you will later regret having, without really learning anything. You're better off starting with a lower tier IJN DD so you can master game flow and positioning, or a US DD if you want to learn the smoke/gun pattern of play, or get a premium like Okhotnik that forces you to think a lot about positioning and how to kill things with guns. 

Thanks for that, I will have a think about going back down to Tier 8 and practice from there. I like the idea of smoke/gun play, practice can only help. 

[Y0L0W]
Members
451 posts
9,790 battles

Also, providing a replay along with some rough timestamps of the situations in questions can go a long way in helping people to figure out what's going on.

[FORM]
Members
2,388 posts
13,548 battles

And if you do plan (or need,) to sit in the smoke, try to turn to make sure you're giving as small a target as possible. So many players sit broadside which makes your ship significantly easier to hit. 

[NG-NL]
Members
425 posts
11,047 battles

In addition to the excellent advice above, some players also aim for where you want to be. That's what I'm currently trying to learn.

If I see a DD come out from behind an island, slow down, and smoke, I expect the DD to slowly reverse so that just enough of their ship sticks out from behind the island for them to fight. To leave, they'll back up until they are fully protected behind that island.

Therefore, I'll focus all my attention on the space where that player wants to be. The DD can choose between my shells and torpedoes, sitting still in the smoke (never a good idea), or blasting off into open water.

I learn a lot from watching Destroyer Kuroshiokai's Youtube videos. He explains things in a way that I can understand.

P.S. Congrats on the Daring! I recently got Daring myself, and am learning how to play it.

Edited by imaginary_b
obligatory Kuroshiokai