You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Synpax

Episode 043: Sub_Octavian, Head Honcho of World of Warships

159 comments in this topic

[TNG]
Members
184 posts
14,705 battles

The Live Producer of World of Warships, Sub_Octavian, joins us for an extraordinary episode where we get answers on Russian influence, CVs in Clan Battles, aim hacks, the future of competitive, and many other subjects, AND we break some BIG NEWS regarding submarines!

Podcast Link: https://anchor.fm/the-new-guys/episodes/Episode-043-Sub_Octavian--Head-Honcho-of-World-of-Warships-ei1a9t
Youtube Link: https://youtu.be/L3Ubj0UeiNI

• Cool 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Boring 4

[PVE]
Members
8,497 posts
24,554 battles
27 minutes ago, iDuckman said:

Thanks!  I'll listen tomorrow.

Ditto...was gonna make a similar post just to earmark it...but decided to just hitch a ride on your earmark instead :-)

[KSC]
Volunteer Moderator
234 posts
24,288 battles

Anyone invested in WoWs that doesn’t listen to this podcast is missing out.  

• Funny 1
  • Boring 1

Members
2,360 posts
33,880 battles

Too bad there's not a transcript.  Rather read in 1 min what it would take an hour to listen to.

• Cool 13

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,995 battles

It's a great interview. Kudos to Sub for patiently answering the questions.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
13,882 posts
29,283 battles
5 hours ago, Chain_shot said:

This is the Puerto Rico guy right?

IF you mean the one who taunted the player base over the PR event nightmare and ultimately lost his job over it that was iEarlGray. He is worse than Sub_O!

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
13,882 posts
29,283 battles
4 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

Too bad there's not a transcript.  Rather read in 1 min what it would take an hour to listen to.

Yeah I am not sitting through all that and listening to Sub_O spin doctor things. IF a transcript is provided I will skim it.

• Cool 7

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts
5 hours ago, Chain_shot said:

This is the Puerto Rico guy right?

He has a much deeper, shall we say, interesting past than the Puerto Rico. 

[TDRB]
Members
5,308 posts
13,743 battles
4 hours ago, slokill_1 said:

YES! YES! YES! I believe the whole interview is 2 hours long. A transcript would be very nice.

[V1-PI]
Members
441 posts
10,287 battles

so iearlgrey moved to russia stepped on his crank and lost his job. that is why we never hear from him anymore. 

he used to be fun to watch his video before his life went to crap. maybe after he hits bottom he can fix thinngs and come back better and stronger. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,352 posts
6,944 battles

So what was the news on subs?

• Boring 1

[WOLFG]
Members
12,566 posts
11,670 battles
6 hours ago, Chain_shot said:

This is Keyser Soze right?

Maybe.  And we don't talk about it. :Smile_hiding:

• Funny 2

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,349 battles
2 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

So what was the news on subs?

ASW elements for BB and CA. Under development at the time of the live-server trial, but putting it in would have delayed things too much.

[O_O]
Members
70 posts

Its morning and I am hungry.  After listening to this I now want some of those wargaming branded sausages for breakfast  he was talking about.

[BOTES]
[BOTES]
Members
28 posts
15,133 battles

"We don't treat lack of fog of war (due to CVs) as a bad thing“ (1:21:08)

Well it's official, WG has completely lost touch with the player base. Infinite spot CV's, as well as being able to determine where the other team is going within the first 30 seconds of the match, will be the death of the game.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 8

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
5,013 posts
7,823 battles

Thanks for this!!!  Very good stuff here.    Your Podcast rocks!!    Keep up the good work!   

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
2 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Yeah I am not sitting through all that and listening to Sub_O spin doctor things. IF a transcript is provided I will skim it.

Pretty much this.  I don't have two hours to waste on listening to someone I fundamentally distrust try to spin his bad decisions and his disdain for his customers as "positives". 

• Thanks 8
  • Haha 1

[PVE]
Members
7,318 posts
15 minutes ago, Mobius_111 said:

"We don't treat lack of fog of war (due to CVs) as a bad thing“

I've said from the beginning that was intent behind the rework.  What we have in the game now with only one, or two CVs per team is not what WG wanted.  They wanted 3-4 CVs per team, in every match.  Imagine what that would do to the game.  No concealment, just run out as fast as you can to try and farm some damage/kills before you're dead.  That would make this game just like every other dumb boring FPS out there.  No thanks.  

• Haha 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,164 battles
47 minutes ago, Mobius_111 said:

"We don't treat lack of fog of war (due to CVs) as a bad thing“ (1:21:08)

Well it's official, WG has completely lost touch with the player base. Infinite spot CV's, as well as being able to determine where the other team is going within the first 30 seconds of the match, will be the death of the game.

This was official at 0.8.0. I recall the developers explicitly stating they WANTED CVs to have spotting capabilities.

29 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Pretty much this.  I don't have two hours to waste on listening to someone I fundamentally distrust try to spin his bad decisions and his disdain for his customers as "positives". 

You could (and probably should) say the same of any corporate representative interview...

24 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

I've said from the beginning that was intent behind the rework.  What we have in the game now with only one, or two CVs per team is not what WG wanted.  They wanted 3-4 CVs per team, in every match.  Imagine what that would do to the game.  No concealment, just run out as fast as you can to try and farm some damage/kills before you're dead.  That would make this game just like every other dumb boring FPS out there.  No thanks.  

The alternative is an obviously broken binary concealment system that has only sporadic 'counter' in the form of limited use radar...

...which is also problematic, but for different reasons.

CVs used to provide vision CONTROL, but now they just provide vision. Its still broken.

• Boring 3

Members
71 posts
2,051 battles

They won’t and shouldn’t add a transcript.  It’s a Podcast uploaded to YT.  They want views and hits.  
Thanks for this, I’ve really enjoyed your last few interviews!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 6
  • Meh 6