You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
___V_E_N_O_M___

New US BBs - technically inferior for their tier

43 comments in this topic

Members
641 posts
90 battles

I dont understand the move to produce a new line of US bbs that are effectively WW1 Super dreadnoughts. The biggest giveaway of this is their pathetic speed. 

How can such slow ships operate at higher tiers, where fast WW2 and post war ships prowl??

Will they be impossible to sink, so effectively metal man-o-wars with very few weaknesses allowing them to tank and push flanks?? What will be the offset to their slow speed and reload??

Edited by ___V_E_N_O_M___
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,838 battles
35 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

What will be the offset to their slow speed and reload??

Quick trips back to their harbor.

35 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

I dont understand the move to produce a new line of US bbs that are effectively WW1 Super dreadnoughts.

This is because everyone knows it was the mighty Soviet East Asian Fleet which actually won the war in the Pacific, with the USN pretty much doing nothing but delivering supplies and lounging at Pearl Harbor. It was those unending waves of Russian Carriers delivering strike after strike against .....

(What do you mean, they didn't have any? Really? None at all? Not even one?)

Who can forget those pre-invasion bombardments carried out by unmatchable Soviet battleships, their guns ....

(What? None of those either? Where do all those ships in the game come from? Design Bureau? Napkins? Which bar in Leningrad?)

And backed up by the fast and furious attentions of Russian Radar Cruisers, scouring the oceans clean ....

(Not ONE working model in WW2? Testing purposes only? How did they .... ?)

And all the other support ships which helped free the Pacific, we salute you.

(Just give me my check and let me go home.)

World of Warships, bringing you History, each and every day. Sort of. Sideways. In the dark. With a brick.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1

[-TKS-]
Members
1,297 posts
10,732 battles
30 minutes ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

I dont understand the move to produce a new line of US bbs that are effectively WW1 Super dreadnoughts. The biggest giveaway of this is their pathetic speed. 

How can such slow ships operate at higher tiers, where fast WW2 and post war ships prowl??

Will they be impossible to sink, so effectively metal man-o-wars with very few weaknesses allowing them to tank and push flanks?? What will be the offset to their slow speed and reload??

As of now, their armor is at most 32mm. So no, they’re going to be damage piñatas.

• Cool 3

[JEDI-]
Members
2,684 posts
6,902 battles

Having seen them in action all i can say is i'll enjoy seeing them on the enemy team. They are fun to shoot.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[VORTX]
Members
660 posts
8,346 battles
13 minutes ago, Umikami said:

Quick trips back to their harbor.

This is because everyone knows it was the mighty Soviet East Asian Fleet which actually won the war in the Pacific, with the USN pretty much doing nothing but delivering supplies and lounging at Pearl Harbor. It was those unending waves of Russian Carriers delivering strike after strike against .....

(What do you mean, they didn't have any? Really? None at all? Not even one?)

Who can forget those pre-invasion bombardments carried out by unmatchable Soviet battleships, their guns ....

(What? None of those either? Where do all those ships in the game come from? Design Bureau? Napkins? Which bar in Leningrad?)

And backed up by the fast and furious attentions of Russian Radar Cruisers, scouring the oceans clean ....

(Not ONE working model in WW2? Testing purposes only? How did they .... ?)

And all the other support ships which helped free the Pacific, we salute you.

(Just give me my check and let me go home.)

World of Warships, bringing you History, each and every day. Sort of. Sideways. In the dark. With a brick.

It would be really nice to make the game a bit more historical and a bit less arcade ... 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1

[CDOH]
Members
905 posts
8,510 battles
43 minutes ago, Fifi_Macaffee said:

It would be really nice to make the game a bit more historical and a bit less arcade ... 

Unfortunately that ship has sailed.  Its now a full arcade game.  These US bbs will be dead on arrival in their current state.  

• Sad 1

[SALVO]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,359 posts
6,968 battles

Play California and you will get a taste of just how terrible this line is going to be. I have faced all three of the new ships in a battle, and they just go down without doing a heck of a lot. 

We wanted a secondary line with strong AA...yet now we get something totally different that just isn't worthwhile. People will still get them, and I will still bomb them back to the stone age. 

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 2

[MELON]
Members
894 posts
2,631 battles

These ships aren't even out and people are already overreacting about them...

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1
  • Meh 2

[SVF]
Members
1,862 posts
2,438 battles
1 hour ago, Koogus said:

Oh?  Please share with the class how you believe people are "over-reacting".  If you believe these stats will be changed in to a playable state, you are mistaken imo.

[SALVO]
6,359 posts
6,968 battles
Just now, Koogus said:

As a CV player watching them from the air I see how they are doing, and it's not good...not good at all.

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,664 battles
6 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Apart from the fact I've now seen these ships in action and they do NOT do well. Every time I've seen one it's been eaten alive by 460mm guns (sure they can't be citadelled but they were regularly eating 10k+ normal pen salvos from a Yammie) or wrecked by HE (saw one get smacked around by a Goliath thanks to its 1/4 pen 234mm HE). I've seen exactly 1 game where a Vermont did reasonably well and that's because he managed to take a central position in a map and nobody shot at him until the end.

[NSEW]
Members
2,477 posts
12,063 battles
2 hours ago, ___V_E_N_O_M___ said:

Will they be impossible to sink

No, they will be avoiding fire until they move across the map to avoid detection (earth rotation is faster).  But once they get to where ever they wanted to go. The game is already over.

• Funny 1

[CDOH]
Members
905 posts
8,510 battles
31 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Please give some examples when War-gaming fixed a ship line so drastically from its original intent and became awesome?

• Cool 3

[MELON]
Members
894 posts
2,631 battles
2 minutes ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Please give some examples when War-gaming fixed a ship line so drastically from its original intent and became awesome?

CVs:Smile_trollface:

And even if these ships have issues they dont need to be drastically changed 

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,664 battles
1 minute ago, Koogus said:

CVs:Smile_trollface:

And even if these ships have issues they dont need to be drastically changed 

That's the odd thing, all they need to do to make them playable is buff the speed to 25knots and give them all the US standard 38mm deck midships, sure that doesn't stop them getting chunked by German and RN HE but it at least limits the regular 203mm and 152mm he spam. Maybe bring down their reload a touch from 40 down to 36 seconds.

[SYN]
Members
5,879 posts
13,316 battles
39 minutes ago, Koogus said:

Please, explain why people shouldn't react the way they have been.  If there is anything practically good about these boats that everyone has apparently missed, we'd be happy to hear it.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,617 posts
13,182 battles
41 minutes ago, Dr_Venture said:

Play California and you will get a taste of just how terrible this line is going to be. I have faced all three of the new ships in a battle, and they just go down without doing a heck of a lot. 

We wanted a secondary line with strong AA...yet now we get something totally different that just isn't worthwhile. People will still get them, and I will still bomb them back to the stone age. 

There has been a crowd on the forums that have been demanding South Dakota 1920 for years now, usually at either tier 6 or 7, where a 23 knot monster with twelve 16"/50 cals clearly doesn't belong, and could never be balanced.

WG is adding 3 of her, at tiers where the slow speed sin't going to cut it, and people are going to see why it was a good thing that South Dakota 1920 fell victim to the Washington Naval Treaty.

[SALVO]
6,359 posts
6,968 battles

I'm looking forward to farming these ships in my Hak.

[HINON]
Members
8,993 posts
13,152 battles

the only good thing about these ships is the sheer damage of their broadsides if theyre able to get them off

Edited by tcbaker777

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles
3 hours ago, Usedcarjock said:

As of now, their armor is at most 32mm. So no, they’re going to be damage piñatas.

Yamato-class players are salivating right now.

32mm armor all over the place to get Overmatched, the same way they do against FR & RN BBs.

But because these new ships are American, it will be a target rich environment for them.

Members
2,834 posts
94 battles
2 hours ago, Dr_Venture said:

We wanted a secondary line with strong AA..

Massachusetts, Georgia and Ohio already does that. 

[SIM]
Members
5,848 posts
9,315 battles
2 hours ago, Koogus said:

You’ve heard of Early Access Ship Events? This is an Early Access Whine Event. They’re basically the same thing, except one happens in the client, while the other happens on the forums. 

• Boring 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,320 posts
24,704 battles

I will acquire all 3 ships.  I am a BB / CA player and have all of the current lines to T10, so these will be in my fleet as well.  Whether I play them much is a totally different thing.

[PHD]
Members
1,930 posts
7,441 battles
2 hours ago, landcollector said:

Oh?  Please share with the class how you believe people are "over-reacting".  If you believe these stats will be changed in to a playable state, you are mistaken imo.

Ah, remember the OP Yahagi and Yuduchi.  (scarasm included )

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,838 battles
2 hours ago, Rothgar_57 said:

Carriers .... only took 4 years.