You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ace_04

New USN Battleships and Speed Boost

34 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Although still pretty far away from release, the new USN "standard-type" battleships have been almost universally derided for their slow statistical speed and the problem that presents at high tiers.  Because let's be honest, 23kts top speed at T10 is pretty brutal.

Just an idea here......but I think the addition of a standard (ie: not Georgia) type speed boost might give these ships some much needed flexibility on the battlefield.  Even if it is just a temporary consumable, it would likely help them get into position and/or get out of trouble a bit more easily and frankly, make them a bit more dynamic to play.

Your thoughts?

• Cool 2
  • Thanks 2

[SALVO]
Members
3,503 posts
7,388 battles

Well from everything I hear they are pretty squishy.  So yeah they should have something to get them out of trouble , even if it is just a low count consumable like a speed boost. I guess they could also give them incredible heals. 

Though personally the biggest issue I have with this whole line split is that it is only happening at high tiers.  This whole thing would have been a great opportunity to make an entire line of ships starting at low tier with historical WW1 Dreadnaughts before moving into the high tier "Tillman esque" designs.   That could have been a huge event. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 9

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,786 posts
21,696 battles

Yeh, sure. I don't consider their slow speed as much of a problem as many others do, but a spood beast consumable might just give them some flexibility.

[SALVO]
Members
3,503 posts
7,388 battles

OHHHHH  another idea would be to give them say 2 consumables of a 30 second duration moving smoke screen  ala Italian cruisers on a 3 or 5 minute cool down.    THAT would have also been interesting / fun idea.  You know allow them to go dark to heal and or turn around and  walk away. 

Edited by eviltane
  • Cool 2

[GLF]
Members
582 posts
8,239 battles

I agree with eviltane. A huge american smoke screen would be funnier with 1 charge (2 with SI).

Edited by MinkeWhale

[WOLFG]
Members
33,617 posts
10,438 battles
1 hour ago, Ace_04 said:

Although still pretty far away from release, the new USN "standard-type" battleships have been almost universally derided for their slow statistical speed and the problem that presents at high tiers.  Because let's be honest, 23kts top speed at T10 Just an idea here......but I think the addition of a standard (ie: not Georgia) type speed boost might give these ships some much needed flexibility on the battlefield.  Even if it is just a temporary consumable, it would likely help them get into position and/or get out of trouble a bit more easily and frankly, make them a bit more dynamic to play.

Your thoughts?

I wouldn't even have a problem with a Georgia-type boost, with a much shorter duration, just enough to allow you to get out of trouble. (or into it if you're so inclined lol)

I know with Georgia, the duration is such that I basically pop it when combat starts, and re-use it as soon as it cools down, in an indiscriminate fashion.

Members
4,678 posts
45,486 battles
1 hour ago, Lert said:

Yeh, sure. I don't consider their slow speed as much of a problem as many others do, but a spood beast consumable might just give them some flexibility.

Yeah, at least make sure an ice cream truck doesn't pass it in battle.

Members
4,678 posts
45,486 battles
4 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I wouldn't even have a problem with a Georgia-type boost, with a much shorter duration, just enough to allow you to get out of trouble. (or into it if you're so inclined lol)

I know with Georgia, the duration is such that I basically pop it when combat starts, and re-use it as soon as it cools down, in an indiscriminate fashion.

A 90 knots Colorado is perfect. The looks on their faces as you fire 🔥, turn and burn, then take off like you jumped to lightspeed would be priceless.

[WOLFG]
Members
33,617 posts
10,438 battles
Just now, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

A 90 knots Colorado is perfect. The looks on their faces as you fire 🔥, turn and burn, then take off like you jumped to lightspeed would be priceless.

Lol yeah, ideally, your ships would levitate out of the water, and rocket engines would fold out of the hull lol.

[FEM]
[FEM]
Members
9,225 posts
12,225 battles
2 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Lol yeah, ideally, your ships would levitate out of the water, and rocket engines would fold out of the hull lol.

Space BB Yammytater when, WeeGee?

Members
558 posts
5,048 battles

WG needs to just fully embrace the concept and add in an anchor consumable: ship can't move but gets a 15% reload reduction for 90 seconds. 

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,838 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Your thoughts?

Only if the "SPEED BOOST" hits Warp 2; it's hard to outrun fire. Their armor makes them flammable sponges, and in the time it would take even a speedy BB to turn and run away these ships will be on fire, put out, and on fire again, for the duration. 

[PVE]
Members
129 posts
5,969 battles

Since Wargaming is doing the Tillman paper ships, maybe they can do the Tillman IV. I googled the Tillman ships to learn more about them and came across one which would have had twenty-four sixteen inch guns in four six gun turrets! Wikipedia can't be 100% trusted but take it for what it's worth - 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maximum_battleship

Imagine what they would have to do to balance this ship. It would probably have paper armor with outrageously horrible dispersion :Smile_veryhappy:

I'm sure such a ship would never make it into the game but I just wanted to share something I thought was really interesting. Wow!

[-K_P-]
Members
440 posts
3,710 battles

So if these are all Tillman-esk, when am I going to see a version IV-2 with 5x3 18"/48 Mk1 main guns???  Basically a large Texas with 3 Yamato rifles per turret. :cap_haloween:

[-K_P-]
Members
440 posts
3,710 battles
1 hour ago, MinkeWhale said:

I agree with eviltane. A huge american smoke screen would be funnier with 1 charge (2 with SI).

Only thing an American BB Smokescreen would need to cover 1/3rd of the map to be effective...., but that could make things interesting

[GLF]
Members
582 posts
8,239 battles
38 minutes ago, Crij said:

Only thing an American BB Smokescreen would need to cover 1/3rd of the map to be effective...., but that could make things interesting

Think about it, the reload is so slow that the smoke would let you go dark. And shooting at these things in smoke would be hilarious. The meme potential for these ships.

• Cool 1

[CDOH]
Members
905 posts
8,510 battles

The whole idea of slow battle ships just really turns me off.  A speed boost would be needed and improved heal.  These ships are going to get farmed so hard.

• Cool 1

[SIDE]
Members
4,939 posts

I'm not sure what can be done to make them more appealing without upsetting whatever claptrap balance constraints have been imposed. Speed boost ain't it.

[WOLF5]
Members
1,498 posts
11,072 battles
2 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Yeah, at least make sure an ice cream truck doesn't pass it in battle.

That would be terrible to be trapped having to listen to that endless music.....turkey in the straw over and over and over...

[PVE]
Members
13,952 posts
29,407 battles
3 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

Although still pretty far away from release, the new USN "standard-type" battleships have been almost universally derided for their slow statistical speed and the problem that presents at high tiers.  Because let's be honest, 23kts top speed at T10 is pretty brutal.

Just an idea here......but I think the addition of a standard (ie: not Georgia) type speed boost might give these ships some much needed flexibility on the battlefield.  Even if it is just a temporary consumable, it would likely help them get into position and/or get out of trouble a bit more easily and frankly, make them a bit more dynamic to play.

Your thoughts?

NO gimmicks. Please.

It is so simple. Even WG has to know 23 knots is not going to work. Just bump the speed a few knots. They don't have to be Iowa fast but good lord 23 knots? 23 knots was the proposed/estimated speed for the SoDak's but it is below Tillman design estimated speeds. These ships seem to be a combo of those 2 design philosophies.

So exactly what design for these 3 new BB's is WG actually using here? SoDak's? Tillman? Madeupfrankeship? SoDak and Tillman had 3 little BBbabies? What? 

The South Dakota class BB's that were started but cancelled part way through all had 23 knot estimated speed. The Tillman designs were estimated at either 25.2 knots, 26.5 knots, or 30 knots. So the speed WG chose matches the SoDak's as does the 4X3 406MM guns but none of those were going to have 457MM guns. 2 of the Tillman designs called for 4X3 406MM guns too but their speeds were either 26.5 knots or 30 knots.

Vermont's wiki page says Vermont was a 70 ton BB with modest speed. That, plus it's massive size, matches Tillman 1 other than it was proposed with 4X3 406MM guns not 457MM and the speed was supposed to be 26.5 knots; NOT 23 knots. Kansas and Minnesota appear to be made up of various classes and designs but based off SoDak as the starting point I guess?

Bottom line 23 knots might be ok at T8 but at T9 and T10 just NO! I don't think 25-26 knots or so would be out of line or "unbalanced".

Now let's talk about 32MM plating everywhere and that 40 sec reload.

• Cool 3

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
15 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Now let's talk about 32MM plating everywhere and that 40 sec reload.

I think the 40s reload is somewhat justified given the monstrous alpha strike capabilities of those guns.

[CDOH]
Members
905 posts
8,510 battles
12 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I think the 40s reload is somewhat justified given the monstrous alpha strike capabilities of those guns.

40s is a bit long.  Ships need to be able to defend themselves.  these ships will be yoloed quite easily by DDs or even cruisers.  This problem compounds because the ship does not have the ability to disengage.

[PVE]
Members
13,952 posts
29,407 battles
16 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

I would say the bad sigma compensates in large part for that. 40 sec is too long. 35 sec ok but not 40. 

Edited by AdmiralThunder

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
20 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

I would say the bad sigma compensates in large part for that. 40 sec is too long. 35 sec ok but not 40. 

Even with a 40s reload their DPM is pretty decent. The T10 has higher DPM than Thunderer, the T9 has identical DPM to Iowa, the T8 is a bit lower than NC because for whatever reason they gave it Colorado's shells instead of NC's, the T7 is the same as KVG. Their sigma isn't that bad either. 1.7 isn't amazing but it's not crippling either especially when you are throwing 12 shells down range. The real issues with them as I see it is their speed and armor, both of which will lead to quick trips back to port.