You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
RonJamesDio

Pommern? Tell me about it!

25 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
313 posts
4,741 battles

What are your folk's thoughts on it? It seems to be pretty powerful from what I can tell. 12 guns, despite the wonky sigma, deal tremendous damage and I haven't seemed to have too hard a time hitting targets within 18km's due to the number of shells. Her firing arcs leave much to be desired though. 

Anyone have her? Any thoughts? 

(I'm curious what Miss Mouse will have to say about it in her inevitable review!)

[USCC]
Members
3,279 posts
15,321 battles

For PVE play, it's outstanding, not quite my goto ship, but a very close second. 
Try and think of it as a bigger Tirpitz, and yep, the torp launchers get knocked out just as much. :Smile_veryhappy:

I really enjoy the ship!

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,421 posts

I had a bismarck with close to 70K armor, get knocked about (No torps on BM mind you...) and Pommern still gets knocked about just a little bit longer.

I almost bought one last week. Almost. Im getting mobbed by soviet BB's such as the Am etc that is getting really... ludicrous armor... I might buy one. In this game armor is life followed by reload. Everything else is a liability.

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
1,645 posts
18,997 battles

As someone who has almost all of the premium German ships, will not touch the research bureau so no Siegfried for me, I will definitely pick the Pommern up. I'm just waiting for the resource coupon to reset because I'm cheap. 

Lead Jokes | Kappit

[PHD]
Members
271 posts
12,210 battles

I'm really enjoying her. I've found her armour good, you can survive a real battering sometimes. She isn't the most agile ship though, but the over 2 minute long hydro gives you good warning of torpedo attack. People keep saying her main guns aren't that accurate, but you know I've found myself hitting the citadel of ships at 19kms and regularly taking between 8 and 14k off ships at 18+kms. 33 second main gun reload is kinda long, but I'm use to it with some of the Russian ships. Secondaries are not as accurate but buff out to 11.6km range and look scary enough to turn away many dds. Torpedoes are very useful in a knife fight and just at the moment many players don't realise you have them.

Overall a very good ship.

[WOLF8]
Members
8,126 posts
6,782 battles
15 minutes ago, SpudZero said:

For PVE play, it's outstanding, not quite my goto ship, but a very close second. 
Try and think of it as a bigger Tirpitz, and yep, the torp launchers get knocked out just as much. :Smile_veryhappy:

I really enjoy the ship!

For me, she has pretty much became the go-to ship, lol. :Smile_teethhappy:

I feel like she might be even better than Kurry, in geneal, for the PvE play. She's pretty much built for brawling, almost perfectly. I like that very much. :Smile_Default:

I don't even bat an eye, when her torp launcher gets knocked out, because it happens way too many times with other German BB's with torpedoes, like Tirpitz. I got so used to it, sometimes I even begin to wonder when it doesn't happen... lel. :Smile_hiding:

Her armor really stands out, just like FdG. Even better than Kurry's armor, TBH. :Smile_Default:

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
28 minutes ago, RonJamesDio said:

What are your folk's thoughts on it? It seems to be pretty powerful from what I can tell. 12 guns, despite the wonky sigma, deal tremendous damage and I haven't seemed to have too hard a time hitting targets within 18km's due to the number of shells. Her firing arcs leave much to be desired though. 

(I'm curious what Miss Mouse will have to say about it in her inevitable review!)

I just recommend for close combat...

It is a good ship but it is truly hard to get citadels with her guns. You can get over 80k damage with secondaries, but you must know when to engage on close combat.

If you dont use it as a secondarie brawler i see no use for the ship. Rossyia for example and Soyuz has a lot better accuracy.

[USCC]
Members
3,279 posts
15,321 battles
4 minutes ago, Blorgh2017 said:

I feel like she might be even better than Kurry, in geneal, for the PvE play.

this-is-blasphemy-59f8e1.jpg.69206b8b98b97bb6987e3c82a4ea65f9.jpg

:Smile_veryhappy:

• Haha 1

Members
641 posts
90 battles
56 minutes ago, RonJamesDio said:

Shes a german alsace, but alsace is still no.1

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
313 posts
4,741 battles

I've been enjoying mine quite well. 12 rifles puts a lot of damage down range and I alternate ammo types frequently. Her HE may not be stellar but you have enough shells to bloody whatever you use them on, so I havent had much issue dealing damage to most targets in her, regardless of angle. Once you can get within brawling range she is exceptional. Tanky and her torps have great firing angles! 

Not nearly as bad as I had feared she might be, so far as I can tell. She is surprisingly resistant to HE spam too! 

[-TOG-]
Members
154 posts
6,746 battles
42 minutes ago, _BlackHawk4_ said:

Torpedoes are very useful in a knife fight and just at the moment many players don't realise you have them.

I killed one while closing in an Odin - as soon as he died, I hauled back on the throttle and turned hard to port.   His torps appeared and missed my bow by a half a ship length.

"Crap - how'd you know I had torpedoes?!?!" he typed.

:-)

• Haha 1

Members
102 posts
5,408 battles
1 hour ago, Felipe_1982 said:

It is a good ship but it is truly hard to get citadels with her guns.

I have to respectfully disagree. I've had more would be dev strikes in coop games with her than in any other ship. My first volley in her was 4 citadels. I've found her to be an absolute citadel monster. Could be a fluke on my end, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the guns.

[RBMKI]
Members
76 posts
1,617 battles

The ship is an absolute monster in Co-Op!

Buy it with doubloons and you get 2 months of non-stop 200% xp bonus that translates into German captain trainer XP mega boost. :cap_like:

Edited by mudcracker

[A-I-M]
Members
4,084 posts
15,213 battles
21 minutes ago, mudcracker said:

The ship is an absolute monster!

You get 2 months of a non-stop 200% xp bonus that translates into a German captain trainer XP mega boost. :cap_like:

You only get that if you throw down cash or doubloons, though, right? Not if you pay with the coal barge?

[UNC]
Members
951 posts
6,409 battles

Played 15 games in Pommern last night but it was difficult to accurately gauge the ships performance as I had some really terrible teams.  Started my session with 6 straight losses; all blowouts, a couple only went like 6-7 minutes.  Almost packed it in for the night after a particularly ugly match, but switched off to Agir for one match and later Odin for another; managed to finish the night at 47% WR, which is still bad but much better than zero. 

So Pommern.  First the good:  The guns are plentiful and punchy enough.  I don't really notice the bad sigma that often.  I use MBM3 to get the reload down to 29s and EL on my captain to try to keep the turret rotation manageable at 36s and change.  I do see a fair number of overpens and usually end a match with more overpens than regular pens at around a 4:3 ratio.  The secondaries seem decent; with my current build they reach out to 10.1km (not a full secondary build) and will start the odd fire but even with MFCS the dispersion is still pretty bad so I don't get as many hits as I would expect.  The ship has enough straight line speed to get you where you are going, but won't win you any races.  Torpedoes for the lulz.  If you want to go full ham and make a loony push into a contested cap the torpedoes can be hilarious.  I had a game where the flank I was on was stalled, so I pushed in from the backside of an island so that the reds had to choose me or 4 of my teammates.  I ended up blapping a broadside Seattle at about 3km, then got a torpedo double strike on a charging Alsace and an Asashio hiding in smoke.  It was glorious.

The not so good:  This thing turns like a garbage scow with a broken rudder.  I took Steering Mod 2 to get the rudder shift down to about 13.5s so turns initiate quicker, but it still feels like it takes 10 minutes to come about.  If you don't plan ahead you will leave yourself very vulnerable for a long time.  I made a few mistakes and got punished while making turns, eating salvoes of over 25k damage a couple of times.  It hurts.  It also means that if you aren't abusing WASD hacks and anticipating incoming torpedoes, you won't dodge very many of them because the ship is just a pig.  AA seems ok-ish.  Not enough to deter a strike but you will shoot down a plane or two.   I never really got focused by a CV (thankfully) so can't really judge how potent the AA really is.  Fires hurt.  Not news, but confirmation bias makes it feel like the ship burns like crazy.  I may play around with a survivability build, since you are generally always in range of at least one HE spammer. 

For me, I think Pommern is a decent ship.  The trick for me has been finding a way to be aggressive while preserving my HP through the game so that I can have an impact late game and continue to rack up damage.  You can get the big alpha strike with Pommern, but so far I've found that to really get decent totals you have to stick around and let the chip damage salvoes add up.  Of course I'm only 15 games in and still figuring out the best build and play style for me, so YMMV.

[USCC]
Members
3,279 posts
15,321 battles
4 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

You only get that if you throw down cash or doubloons, though, right? Not if you pay with the coal barge?

Correct on the Cash part, not sure about the Doubloons (Although one would hope so), but for sure not for coal.

Members
4,140 posts
14,857 battles

My observations from a playing against point of view.

The players in them seem to like to yolo, or drive in straight lines. They make for good targets. 

shot-20.08.08_23.47.44-0882.jpg

Edited by Rollingonit

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles
5 hours ago, Maksimus54 said:

I have to respectfully disagree. I've had more would be dev strikes in coop games with her than in any other ship. My first volley in her was 4 citadels. I've found her to be an absolute citadel monster. Could be a fluke on my end, but I've been pleasantly surprised by the guns.

Coop is a different animal with much closer standard engagement ranges. The German 380s have terrible penetration and the longer the range the less easy it is to cit things. That said, citing cruisers isn't that hard with them, it's BBs where they tend to fall short.

Members
102 posts
5,408 battles
27 minutes ago, Tekina_ said:

Coop is a different animal with much closer standard engagement ranges. The German 380s have terrible penetration and the longer the range the less easy it is to cit things. That said, citing cruisers isn't that hard with them, it's BBs where they tend to fall short. 

It's all anecdotal but I've been content with it's mid range (12-17km) firing on broadside BB's. If they are angled just aim for superstructure and it has been good for some pretty bruising volleys. I'm not saying this thing has the pen of 18" guns, just that I was impressed by the 15"'s and in my experience getting a citadel has not been too tough. I do appreciate that COOP and Randoms are quite different, however the game mechanics don't change.

[5D]
Members
1,164 posts
15,500 battles

this ship do perform well within secondary range over that not so much  take note that him running a full secondary spec with IFHE

shot-20_08.10_13_58_58-0041.thumb.jpg.abbbd8deb7d8875699333695e883efb1.jpg

shot-20_08.10_14_38.23-0460.thumb.jpg.66ee23af551bc5af03371c1b396f125b.jpg

[RBMKI]
Members
76 posts
1,617 battles
5 hours ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Correct, only when purchased with doubloons in-game or real money.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
313 posts
4,741 battles

I've only played a handful of games in mine so far, but the guns have done some serious damage, including a multi cit on a  broadside Izumo who got caught in a turn. He took 55,000 dmg in 2 salvos and ate a slug of torps for the kill. 

Because of the number of guns and her improved pen, I have had some sucess using her HE against angled targets at range. You light fires but it was common to get 6-8k salvos on a fully bow on target. 

She plays like a high tier Scharnhorst from what I can tell. Relatively strong guns vs lighter targets but she struggles vs angled ships and heavy armour. Torps for close range and okay secondaries. Requires dynamic ammo choices to deal reliable damage. 

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,694 posts
23,782 battles
On 8/11/2020 at 9:05 AM, SpudZero said:

I really enjoy the ship!

I had a thunderer knock out near side tubes as I was angled.

Next salvo knocked out far side, other side of ship.

Members
724 posts
5,703 battles

had some coal around and got it, after i few battles i remember why FDG was the only ship i rage sold.

on paper the stats arent bad but the sinergy between the stats is horrible, on one side we get main guns, secondary guns and even torpedos that scream brawler, in the other side we have a gigantic superstructure for HE spammer to feast,  questionable turret angles paired with weak horizontal armor making it an HP piñata to anyone that catch a glimpse of his side. its  big, slugish and has mediocre at best torpedo protection basicaly all the aspects you dont want on a brawling ship that is likely to run into torpedo walls.

The final joke is the concealment, as a brawler you want to get close to the enemy or catch it by surprise, hard to do that when they can spot you from the moon.

even after the triple nerf Odin is a far better brawler than pommern, heck i would take current odin at t9 over pommern  at least the odin  gets good concealment and mobility to wiggle and dodge.