Jump to content
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
SaltyRat

Give me back control of the CV!

16 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

114
[ARP]
Members
280 posts
18,779 battles

Either fix this joke auto pilot so the carrier stops running into islands or give me back the controls I had before this joke of an update you did to carriers! When I set a course through an island chain its irritating to come back to the ship only to find it ran aground  and then spends the rest of the game backing up. Same crap happens if I get to close to the edge of the map. Seriously if this is the best your developers can do then stop taking player control away from us!

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,981
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

I think they swapped the old bot AI coding into our CV-specific autopilot subroutines. Funny thing is, the more you play using it, the more you realize just how bad it is, hideously bad... worse than I can remember autopilot ever being. I've been here a long time... 

so yeah, it's bad. 

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
114
[ARP]
Members
280 posts
18,779 battles
16 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I think they swapped the old bot AI coding into our CV-specific autopilot subroutines. Funny thing is, the more you play using it, the more you realize just how bad it is, hideously bad... worse than I can remember autopilot ever being. I've been here a long time... 

so yeah, it's bad. 

There is zero reason that carrier needs to get that close to islands on its way by. I cant figure out if its the sloppy waypoint mechanic or if they just dont know how to code bounds but it is a joke at best! The only way to do it right is to micro manage the way points and make sure you are steering away from islands. The problem with that is you have to take into account the ship will continue to the next way point and wont even start the turn to the next one until its past the first one. So if you dont give at least half a km between the way point and an obstacle it will ground. I have tried it with and without collision avoidance and its like that parameter might not even bother existing because there is zero difference! The least they could do is give us control back to go back to the ship while in flight without this ignorant mechanic that sends your planes home because for some reason the developers think we are incapable of managing the planes if they are unattended. Funny they dont think it matters for the ship, then again assuming they are thinking is a real stretch! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
393
[D33P6]
Members
572 posts

You can manually control your ship.  You just can't fly squadrons at the same time.

But, yes, Autopilot needs to be fixed as well as certain CV's bleeding over half their speed to make a turn.

Edited by HeadSplit120

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,981
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts
2 minutes ago, HeadSplit120 said:

You can manually control your ship.  You just can't fly squadrons at the same time.

But, yes, Autopilot needs to be fixed as well as certain CV's bleeding over half their speed to make a turn.

By feelz... half of em? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,577
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,916 posts
10,311 battles

"But players are literally too obtuse to do two things at once!"

-WG, probably

  • Funny 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
393
[D33P6]
Members
572 posts
4 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

By feelz... half of em? 

I know my Audacious has a problem when it try's to make a turn in drops down between 1/2 and 1/4 speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
114
[ARP]
Members
280 posts
18,779 battles
9 minutes ago, HeadSplit120 said:

You can manually control your ship.  You just can't fly squadrons at the same time.

But, yes, Autopilot needs to be fixed as well as certain CV's bleeding over half their speed to make a turn.

Yea but that really isnt an option given as a carrier player any team fail is already blamed on us and if we have to stop flying because of this ignorant mechanic that is only going to justify their accusations.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,086
[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,099 posts
4,341 battles
12 minutes ago, vak_ said:

"But players are literally too obtuse to do two things at once!"

-WG, probably

You laugh but that's pretty much the reason we have automatic CV consumables.

And yeah, the autopilot, well let's just say I hope the ones real ships use is a heck of a lot better. I've just given up letting it steer around islands. I manually input each way point around each island. And even then the autopilot sometimes decides it'd prefer to back up to get somewhere.

The old one didn't steer around islands on it's own, but it didn't steer into them on it's own either.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,981
[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts
23 minutes ago, AJTP89 said:

I manually input each way point around each island.

This is a fail as well. I have done that forever, it still gets hung up.

I've convinced myself there must be "artifacts" on maps which triggers some response in the AI, regardless of the route. I cannot explain it to myself, logically, any other way. 

Routing has always been a challenge in the world of programming - but this really is special. I mean think of the difficulty, right? 

Player cannot click island. Otherwise player can pretty much click any where on the map their little heart desires. The game knows were every island is, does not care if ships are in the way, it simply has to (literally) draw a line around any obstacles to reach the end point. 

Gee... that really doesn't sound too difficult. But I bet ya it's not a top-down kinda thing using their software. I bet providing the directions to the carrier is the challenge. 

In any case though, they have some serious issues, QoL issues with carrier play. It's pushing some of us to the point of just parking them - again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
1,408 posts
1,852 battles
1 hour ago, SaltyRat said:

Either fix this joke auto pilot so the carrier stops running into islands or give me back the controls I had before this joke of an update you did to carriers! When I set a course through an island chain its irritating to come back to the ship only to find it ran aground  and then spends the rest of the game backing up.

Until the devs fix it-sorry, IF the devs fix it-just don't use autopilot. I've never used autopilot in CV's, I mostly use it for cruisers and destroyers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,107
[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,826 battles
1 hour ago, SaltyRat said:

Seriously if this is the best your developers can do then stop taking player control away from us!

I feel exactly the same way about my AA. Kinda sux, huh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5,046
[12TF]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
9,224 posts

It's not the best they can do.  They can easily change the code to make the CV handle like a jet ski and do 1000kts.   It's just numbers in the code.

It's an armored ship the size of an office building, laden with bombs, torps, fuel and airplanes. The auto pilot isn't designed to slalom between islands with the CV, on purpose.

You can manually control your CV with WASD, just like every other ship.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1
[HOWL]
Members
11 posts
6,121 battles

I have found if you set the auto pilot and then change you speed to half it works a little better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,904
[RLGN]
Members
16,188 posts
28,079 battles
3 hours ago, HeadSplit120 said:

You can manually control your ship.  You just can't fly squadrons at the same time.

But, yes, Autopilot needs to be fixed as well as certain CV's bleeding over half their speed to make a turn.

 

3 hours ago, HeadSplit120 said:

I know my Audacious has a problem when it try's to make a turn in drops down between 1/2 and 1/4 speed.

That thing is a coal barge. Its only redeeming feature is it isn't as ugly as Furious.

3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

You laugh but that's pretty much the reason we have automatic CV consumables.

And yeah, the autopilot, well let's just say I hope the ones real ships use is a heck of a lot better. I've just given up letting it steer around islands. I manually input each way point around each island. And even then the autopilot sometimes decides it'd prefer to back up to get somewhere.

The old one didn't steer around islands on it's own, but it didn't steer into them on it's own either.

I was literally sitting between two island on Trident recently, (the two small islands north of A-cap,) NOTHING in from of me, and the idiot auto pilot wanted to back up first, and go around one of the islands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
420
[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,604 posts
23,073 battles

It's just not only the CVs autopilot.

All ships autopilot is the same crap. AFAIK it's the same.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×