You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
anonym_djv4ZCNmZ56F

Is this the same game?

12 comments in this topic

Members
648 posts

After playing very seriously in this season of ranked, I've just returned to regular random battles and holy cow, the difference is amazing. Ranked makes you so much better at map awareness, knowing when to push and when to fall back, and what to do. My random games before and after this season are night and day. I'd say the biggest benefit of ranked isn't the steel. It's the skill. Thoughts?

• Cool 2

[OIL-1]
Members
1,510 posts

1. You find a lot more like-minded players in ranked. People trying to win.
2. Due to less players, your performance has a much better chance of contributing to the outcome of the battle.

I like Ranked. Don't know why everyone always whines about it.
Must be because they're not getting the same 'preferential matchmaking' that they're getting in Randoms.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[O7]
Supertester
425 posts
13,537 battles
1 minute ago, z9_ said:

1. You find a lot more like-minded players in ranked. People trying to win.
2. Due to less players, your performance has a much better chance of contributing to the outcome of the battle.

I like Ranked. Don't know why everyone always whines about it.
Must be because they're not getting the same 'preferential matchmaking' that they're getting in Randoms.

A lot of ranked players will make you rethink that 1st statement. Some play to save a star, others suicide in the first few minutes, a couple of afks, and even players who think higher-numbered ranks = advancing. 

Ranked is notorious for being a salt mine. Very frustrating when you do your part, only to watch some other player happily throw his ship away for no apparent reason and throw the game. And to watch this happen over and over and screw over your chances of getting the coveted steel. 

• Cool 1
  • Meh 1

Members
1,650 posts

agree, with both of you, and will add that on ranked you do have team play, not always but it happens because it is needed. Random battles are a sorrow chaos. I believe that the major issue on the meta right now is how random battles are poor...I'm playing ranked to the last day, so much better...happy to have ranked sprint later this month...WG make ranked/ranked sprint more frequent so we do not have to suffer random miseries...

[TIMT]
Members
1,740 posts
5,623 battles

I have not played this season of ranked, after last sprint I was a bit burned out. To me ranked was sometimes a real saltmine, when people did stupid things or were afk or just did not care. Ranked can be really fun and rewarding when the two conditions described earlier are actually met. Otherwise if you are clearly outmatched by the enemy team due to two ships being afk or potato DDs yoloing it makes losses hurt even more.

It might depend also a little on when in the season you play, as the progression system in combination with different leagues (or whatever it is called) should ideally come close to skill based MM. However, if the system is just started and is not in equilibrium it does not work as intended.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,331 posts
14,924 battles

I haven't played it either. For me it isn't the salt but having gaining and losing stars tied to how well the team does that makes it unfun.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,273 posts
6,142 battles
3 hours ago, mrieder79 said:

Thoughts?

I've found going back to Randoms I need to tone down aggresiveness, I play Ranked very aggressive as it yields good results taking and holding forward key positions, the match tempo is very high also, as I like to keep preassure on the enemy. In Randoms it is easier to get overwhelmed if your team deploys badly and the enemy comes in force at you.

Coming back from Ranked I usually get into trouble early in the match until I slow down.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,109 battles

I much prefer Ranked, your skill is a lot more influential on the outcome.

[RLGN]
Members
16,220 posts
28,096 battles
3 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

I haven't played it either. For me it isn't the salt but having gaining and losing stars tied to how well the team does that makes it unfun.

I play to get the few stars that will make it as painless as possible to get R15 and the seasonal flag next Ranked.

Because skipping a season means having to win from 18 to 15, instead of 16-15, and I just don't want to go there.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester
28,331 posts
14,924 battles
19 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

I play to get the few stars that will make it as painless as possible to get R15 and the seasonal flag next Ranked.

Because skipping a season means having to win from 18 to 15, instead of 16-15, and I just don't want to go there.

Not a bad Idea but the flag is mostly meaningless to me because it has no stats outside of ranked.

[RLGN]
Members
16,220 posts
28,096 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

Not a bad Idea but the flag is mostly meaningless to me because it has no stats outside of ranked.

A collector's piece, yes. That's about it.

• Cool 1