You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Karstodes

Which ships should be included next?

Which historical ships should be included next  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Ships list

• Tier 6 HMS Repulse
    • Tier 7 HMS Renown
    • Tier 6 HMS Royal Oak (or any R class)
    • Tier 6 HMS Dido
    • Tier 5 HMS Arethusa
    • Tier 5 HMS Tiger/ HMS Queen Mary
    • Tier 4 HMS New Zeland/ HMS Indefatigable
    • Tier 3 HMS Indomitable
    • Tier 8 USS Washington
    • Tier 6 (?) USS Wasp
    • Tier 6 IJN Ise
    • Tier 8 IJN Kaga
    • Tier 7 MN Strasbourg
    • Tier 3 SMS Von Der Tann
    • Tier 4 SMS Moltke
    • Tier 5 SMS Derfflinger
    • Tier 9 USS Johnston

50 comments in this topic

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,290 battles

This is not a question of purely lines, but a question of which historical ships do you want to see in the game. Lately we saw quite the few paper ships with few historical one (we have what, California as the only real ships between a German CV Line, US Maximum farming battleship line,  Florida (she should be a North Carolina hull as she is the original design) and paper ships of various level. So here is a short list:

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,290 battles
10 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Prince of Wales

And we already have T8 Kaga

True, my head was saying Akagi and my hands wrote Kaga

Members
405 posts
6 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Prince of Wales

And we already have T8 Kaga

Was going to say, perhaps OP meant Akagi?

My choice was Renown, since we already have KGV and DoY.

Conspicuous by their absence, G3/N3 and the Lexington-class battlecruisers.

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,290 battles
5 minutes ago, Hookie_Bell said:

Was going to say, perhaps OP meant Akagi?

My choice was Renown, since we already have KGV and DoY.

Conspicuous by their absence, G3/N3 and the Lexington-class battlecruisers.

The absence of any British Battlecruiser outside of Hood may hint at a possible Battlecruiser line for the UK. but with how WG is basically doing ''premium line'' with the US brawlers and the German CL I wonder.

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,086 posts
4,340 battles

Maybe make the poll multiple option? there's a lot of ships we like.

For me USS Johnston. I don't care if it's a copy paste of a Fletcher, that ship should be in for history alone. Ideally with Ernest Evans special commander, though I don't know how possible that is.

USS Washington, I think a Missouri treatment would be nice. Radar NC.

Definitely an R class. Not sure T6 is where they'd go, as the QEs are better. Though T5 might be a bit much.

HMS Dido, because HMS Atlanta.

Renown/Repulse would be great, but again tiering is an issue. They're fast, but bad armament. I think maybe T5, same speed as Kongo, one less turret, but bigger guns.

[SPTR]
Members
27,585 posts
17,859 battles

As a french main I would immediately go for Strasbourg, but im open up for any tier 6 ships especially Dido.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,737 posts
21,656 battles

See link in sig.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

A few things come to mind here:

• South American dreadnought branch
  • European battlecruiser branch
  • USS New Jersey
  • Tosa-class battleship (IJN)
  • Shinano (IJN)
  • Japanese light cruiser branch
  • French carrier branch
  • Espana-class battleship (Spain)

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,290 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Definitely an R class. Not sure T6 is where they'd go, as the QEs are better. Though T5 might be a bit much.

They are slower for sure, but they had better armor layout (albeit the game do not show how all or nothing was good) with the same guns. 

1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Renown/Repulse would be great, but again tiering is an issue. They're fast, but bad armament. I think maybe T5, same speed as Kongo, one less turret, but bigger guns.

They have similar gun layout than Gneiseneau, and better armor and AA than the Kongo. Repulse is at least tier 6, and the modernized Renown could scrap it to tier 7 probably.

1 hour ago, Lert said:

See link in sig.

I Do not see your sig on the mobile version.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,737 posts
21,656 battles
3 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

I Do not see your sig on the mobile version.

This link.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,349 battles
1 hour ago, Nutaz said:

Tier 5 HMS Arethusa is already in game as the Pan Asian CL Huang He at Tier VI

She is, however, refitted with Russian 6-inch cruiser guns of significantly higher velocity and a much better AA suite. Revert her back to British standards and she would sit OK at Tier 5. Certainly she wouldn't be overpowered there, as Konigsberg at the same tier has 50% more guns.

2 hours ago, Rolkatsuki said:

As a french main I would immediately go for Strasbourg

How would you want her differentiated from Dunkerque?

2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:
  • Shinano (IJN)

Would Tosa not be too close to a niche that is already very well populated? If I have any or all of Amagi, Kii, Ashitaka, Ragnarok and Ignis Purgatio, why am I going to cough up money for a Tosa? Granted, she at least got into the water (albeit only as a target hulk in the end), but what does her as-intended version have that the other ships of the Amagi family (in the loosest sense) do not?

I thought Shinano was broadly represented by Hakuryu in game. Given the balance issues and protracted gestation that FDR is suffering from, I think there's a big WAIT AND SEE painted all over that idea.

Do the Japanese even have enough light cruisers? Yahagi is widely seen as a joke, Oyoda is even worse without some way to make her air group a thing (see also "Tone/Ise development hell"), and what else did they actually have as even a paper proposition to take them to Tier 10?

[SVEN]
Beta Testers
239 posts
8,266 battles

USS South Dakota (BB-57) and USS New Jersey as post war refits (planned, in SD's case) as coal/free XP premiums at tier IX and X respectively.  Otherwise, create another mini-branch off of the Colorado (with Washington at tier VIII) or New Mexico (with Tennessee at tier VII).

Renown/Repulse and Prince of Wales would all be welcome at some point. I'm curious how a line of battlecruisers would be balanced though.

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
24 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Would Tosa not be too close to a niche that is already very well populated? If I have any or all of Amagi, Kii, Ashitaka, Ragnarok and Ignis Purgatio, why am I going to cough up money for a Tosa? Granted, she at least got into the water (albeit only as a target hulk in the end), but what does her as-intended version have that the other ships of the Amagi family (in the loosest sense) do not?

I thought Shinano was broadly represented by Hakuryu in game. Given the balance issues and protracted gestation that FDR is suffering from, I think there's a big WAIT AND SEE painted all over that idea.

Do the Japanese even have enough light cruisers? Yahagi is widely seen as a joke, Oyoda is even worse without some way to make her air group a thing (see also "Tone/Ise development hell"), and what else did they actually have as even a paper proposition to take them to Tier 10?

To your points:

• WG doesn't have an issue with overlap, if there is a business case.  Look at the plethora of premium American battleships.  Some players even just want ships for historical purposes.
  • Shinano was in the game once upon a time in Alpha, I believe.  However, I was referring to Shinano as the potential third ship of the Yamato-class, with maybe a different spin on it.
  • No, the IJN doesn't have enough real light cruisers to fill out a tech tree line, but a sub-branch no doubt could be easily filled at the upper end with paper ship designs.

[T-R-F]
Banned
677 posts
19,142 battles
2 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

A few things come to mind here:

• South American dreadnought branch
  • European battlecruiser branch
  • USS New Jersey
  • Shinano (IJN)
  • French carrier branch
  • Espana-class battleship (Spain)

Not new Jersey. there is nothing left to give her to make her different then Iowa and Missouri

[T-R-F]
Banned
677 posts
19,142 battles
6 minutes ago, utgotye said:

USS South Dakota (BB-57) and USS New Jersey as post war refits (planned, in SD's case) as coal/free XP premiums at tier IX and X respectively.  Otherwise, create another mini-branch off of the Colorado (with Washington at tier VIII) or New Mexico (with Tennessee at tier VII).

Renown/Repulse and Prince of Wales would all be welcome at some point. I'm curious how a line of battlecruisers would be balanced though.

sorry not enough to make them different. frankly SD should be the T8 of the line spilt

[USN]
Members
1,626 posts
21,085 battles
31 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

How would you want her differentiated from Dunkerque?

Strasbourg actually had about 2in thicker belt armor, and I believe received a refit Dunkerque never did, so she’d have better AA (although it’d still be fairly bad for mid tier AA standards). Slap on a speed boost and MBRB and you got a T7 Jean Bart

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralQ said:

Not new Jersey. there is nothing left to give her to make her different then Iowa and Missouri

Perhaps not, but it is a very historically important ship.  For some, that is enough.

But don't underestimate WG's ability to put a spin on a same-class ship.  Look how many Fletcher and Kagero variants we have these days.

[T-R-F]
Banned
677 posts
19,142 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

Perhaps not, but it is a very historically important ship.  For some, that is enough.

But don't underestimate WG's ability to put a spin on a same-class ship.  Look how many Fletcher and Kagero variants we have these days.

and pull a California on her? nah

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles
Just now, AdmiralQ said:

and pull a California on her? nah

don't worry,she will get mass secondaries,mass repair party because it seems that is what everyone wants in usn bbs currently?

[T-R-F]
Banned
677 posts
19,142 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

don't worry,she will get mass secondaries,mass repair party because it seems that is what everyone wants in usn bbs currently?

yet see what we are gettign for the second BB line