You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

Mass and Bismarck

13 comments in this topic

[FAE]
Members
2,625 posts
3,677 battles

18th and 19th points? 

CE or FirePRev seem the most useful. 

IFHE too bad right? (Is it any worth on Bismarck?) 

[KIA-C]
Supertester
1,828 posts
6,321 battles

Recommended secondary build

Edit: Meant to put Aux Mod 1 in slot 1c41a6925f3.jpg

Edited by Skeem689
  • Cool 2

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
201 posts
5,497 battles

Bismarck NEEDS FPE. I don't know what's with german ships but they get set on fire like no one's business. Mass meanwhile could just do with CE to sneak into secondary range. 

[FORM]
Members
2,381 posts
13,548 battles
2 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

Bismarck NEEDS FPE. I don't know what's with german ships but they get set on fire like no one's business.

I was very surprised to read that supposedly, All Ships get set on fire at the same percent rate, my personal experience both as the giver and the receiver is that German battleships seem to catch fire far more often.

[YETI]
[YETI]
Members
586 posts
13,186 battles

I think CE is a waste of points for BBs especially brawling ones like Mass and Bismarck.  Fire Prevention is much more useful.  After the rework the IFHE skill doesn't help out the secondaries like it used to so spend those points somewhere else.

Edited by Admiral_Andy

[WOLFG]
Members
33,573 posts
10,430 battles
12 minutes ago, TheArc said:

I was very surprised to read that supposedly, All Ships get set on fire at the same percent rate, my personal experience both as the giver and the receiver is that German battleships seem to catch fire far more often.

My theory on that is that, because of their secondaries, people tend to ignore FP, because they also want MFCS, AFT, and CE.

If you aren't secondary-speccing a BB, that's 8 points you aren't spending, and FP is really the only other useful 4-point skill after CE.

[WPORT]
Members
9,821 posts
14,329 battles
4 minutes ago, Admiral_Andy said:

I think CE is a waste of points for BBs especially brawling ones like Mass and Bismarck.  Fire Prevention is much more useful.  After the rework the IFHE skill doesn't help out the secondaries like it used to so spend those points somewhere else.

Especially in Co-op games.
But, in random battles, the problem of closing the distance, to get within brawling distance of enemies who are kiting-away and afraid to have their paint scratched, becomes an issue of consideration.

[WPORT]
Members
9,821 posts
14,329 battles
1 minute ago, Skpstr said:

My theory on that is that, because of their secondaries, people tend to ignore FP, because they also want MFCS, AFT, and CE.

If you aren't secondary-speccing a BB, that's 8 points you aren't spending, and FP is really the only other useful 4-point skill after CE.

I think you're on to something.
I tend to prioritize getting Advanced Firing Training before Fire Prevention and Concealment Expert with my BB's.
I've got a Massachusetts that has Manual Control For Secondaries, because the Captain's skills were selected before I changed my tune and my preferences.  I keep him in that specification as a ready alternative to my other builds and as practice for using MCFS.  Long-term, I'm gonna add AFT to his skills and gain the extra range.

While Fire Prevention has merit, there are YOLO play styles that get a player sunk before FP can really matter.  Focused fire, citadels and getting torpedoed can sink a ship faster than the difference between 3 or 4 fires going on at the same time.

Captain's Skill Points are precious.  Where to spend them can be an interesting problem.

[FAE]
Members
2,625 posts
3,677 battles

Hmm. Interesting. I have wanted CE on Bismarck before to get back under cover. 

but I almost feel like I really prefer FP on mass. 
numbers wise it seems like I have to give up on doing IFHE. Just no real way to get more out of the secondaries. Would have been fun to have more damage. As I’m not particularly missing survival skills. My Playing skills are good at mitigation 

Members
804 posts

I use my GK for coop fun with secondaries. I run IFHE on it and during some grind secondary missions i never fired my main guns the entire round.  Survived and got 150k+ dmg games with secondaries only, if you plan to do randoms you really need FPE these days.   But IFHE on full secondaries can still work in randoms, you just need to not push in to early, the work that IFHE can do with your secondary spec can be pretty monsterous at times. German BBs could really use a dispersion buff to be closer to Mass on secondary dispersion, the difference between the two is so large its sad.   Mass doesnt even need manual to hit consistantly, GK without manual is why bother.

WG logic after all, the "secondary spec" bb line has worst secondary acc, and the "torpedo spec" shima line has  torps that spread fast and are seen from the moon.  If jap torps have to be spotted forever away why not narrow the spread by 20% or so and at least make them harder to dodge...

Edited by JToney3449

[WOLFC]
Members
2,734 posts
11,255 battles
6 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

18th and 19th points? 

CE or FirePRev seem the most useful. 

IFHE too bad right? (Is it any worth on Bismarck?) 

The captain build I run on my Bismarck is PT, AR, SI, FP, MFCSA, AFT, and PM. For upgrades I run auxilary armaments in slot 1, secondary armaments in slot 3, both damage control upgrades, and concealment in slot 5. This seems to be the right balance of secondary firepower and survivability. I prefer PM over EL because German 380mm turrets are squishy compared to their counterparts, and the lack of the main armaments upgrade in slot 1 is really felt otherwise.

At 14km and a some change, her concealment is “alright,” especially considering Bismarck doesn’t have great concealment to begin with. I used the same build on FdG without too many problems but I recently changed my GK over to a full tank build with CE because I just couldn’t work with her terrible concealment in the tier 10 meta. IMO, Bismarck sits at the sweet spot where you can still make her concealment work and her better handling compared to her H-class successors allows her to avoid more damage.

In regards to IFHE, I wouldn’t recommend it. The 150mm secondaries already pen 38mm, and while the majority of her secondary firepower is in her dual-purpose 105mm mounts that IFHE will bump up to 32mm of pen, I don’t think it’s the worth fire chance penalty. Also, taking IFHE would require giving up either FP (which is almost a requirement on most high-tier BBs) or either MFCSA or AFT, which would severely compromise the secondary build. That’s a lot to sacrifice to better pen battleships, and 26mm of penetration is enough for DDs and most cruisers you encounter.

Edited by Nevermore135