You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
P51pilot122

Suggestions for Sub Torps

8 comments in this topic

[DJC]
Members
39 posts
3,404 battles

Alright, so I am looking forward to subs (Gib Type VII now!) but obviously they need a lot of tweaking, they should be able to use their deck guns, an AA gun or two (U-Flak anyone?), should be much slower (The U-69 does 24knts surface and 15knts submerged, way too quick for a Type VII). The biggest concern however seems to be the homing torpedoes that in their current state, might as well be MK48 ADCAPS.

I got to thinking about how to balance torpedo armament for subs the other night, and wanted to share what I thought wasn't a bad idea.

Lets use the U-69 as our example, this is at Tier 6 of course and it's a Type VII U-boat. My idea was to give a sub's captain the choice of what torpedoes to use before heading into battle, kinda how like the RTS carriers chose their squadron loadout. As for the U-69's case, I came up with a few torpedoes it could mount.

1) A G7e T1, a steam powered torpedo that is fast, has decent range, but leaves a big wake so it has a large detection radius.

2) A G7e T2/T3, an electric torpedo that is much more stealthy. but slower with reduced range.

3) A G7 T5, this is the homing torpedo that the Germans did come up with in the war, albeit it never really homed in on the target you were aiming at since it homes in on the noise produced by the propellers. This torpedo would have the homing advantage, but would be slow, have limited range, and subpar damage, but it could be perfect for taking on fast, agile targets like DDs.

The steam and electric torps would have similar damage numbers, but it seems only fair that the steam option would do more damage to make up for its detection range, while the stealthy electric torps do less damage than their steam brethren.

This whole system could be shared across subs of all nations, giving the player a choice of what kind of weapons to arm themselves with, unlike the current torpedoes for subs that do it all.

As far as historical accuracy goes, I don't think any other nation besides Germany made a homing torpedo, so perhaps this could be the German sub gimmick.

This is just my thoughts on the matter, I want to see subs succeed but they need to find their own, BALANCED, place in the game. There is a lot of operation ideas that sub players would love as well.

This whole idea though throws out the citadels and ignoring torpedo protection with sonar pings that the current sub torps do, I honestly think those two elements should be scrapped along with the super homing they boast.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF1]
Members
1,118 posts
2,168 battles
On 8/28/2020 at 6:33 AM, Count_of_Serenno said:

I agree subs should be able to use their deck guns an AA

So I  would not have to use my Mk 13 torpedoes

Edited by Boomer625

[WOLF1]
Members
1,118 posts
2,168 battles
9 hours ago, Count_of_Serenno said:

because... 

History of the mark 13 torpedo:

main problems- the magnetic denoator

since different regions around th world have different strength of magnetic force by the earth’s poles, so the mark 13 torpedoes over shoot the target or exploded before the target

next, there was also a backup contact denoator for the Mark 13.

welllll when the torpedo hit the ship, the pin that would make the torpedo explode was mounted wrong, so it didn’t explode

besides that, the Mark 13 also constantly ran too deep, not hitting ships at all

plus, the mark 13s often rose too high above the water, jamming the rudder, and circling back, sinking the sub that fired it.

Edited by Boomer625

Beta Testers
2 posts
628 battles
On 9/2/2020 at 10:34 PM, Boomer625 said:

History of the mark 13 torpedo:

main problems- the magnetic denoator

since different regions around th world have different strength of magnetic force by the earth’s poles, so the mark 13 torpedoes over shoot the target or exploded before the target

next, there was also a backup contact denoator for the Mark 13.

welllll when the torpedo hit the ship, the pin that would make the torpedo explode was mounted wrong, so it didn’t explode

besides that, the Mark 13 also constantly ran too deep, not hitting ships at all

plus, the mark 13s often rose too high above the water, jamming the rudder, and circling back, sinking the sub that fired it.

That would be the US Mark 14 torpedo

[WOLF1]
Members
1,118 posts
2,168 battles
49 minutes ago, Gaius_Marcellinus said:

That would be the US Mark 14 torpedo

Ah oops the Mk13 was the aerial torpedo version, and the mk15 was the ship-based version right?