You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Skpstr

Alaska or Agir?

28 comments in this topic

[WOLFG]
Members
33,617 posts
10,438 battles

Hi all, I'm edging up to the 1 mil FXP mark, and where I was set on Alaska, now it looks like I have another choice.

Keeping in mind that I'm basically an average player, please give me some input that can help me choose.

TIA

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
1,672 posts
9,070 battles
4 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

Hi all, I'm edging up to the 1 mil FXP mark, and where I was set on Alaska, now it looks like I have another choice.

Keeping in mind that I'm basically an average player, please give me some input that can help me choose.

TIA

I really enjoy the Argir and enjoy driving it more than the Alaska. Having said that, I personally think the Alaska is the best tier 9 cruiser in the game. 

Do you prefer German or US ships? 

[PVE]
Members
11,071 posts
19,193 battles

Flip a coin, heads Alaska tails Agir, then save up FXP for which ever one lost the flip.

Edited by Sovereigndawg

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
6,693 posts
23,772 battles
20 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

TIA

I too am an average player.

Alaska is easier to play and will do more damage than AGIR. 

I prefer Fredrick vs Agir.

[ARGSY]
Members
2,015 posts
6,221 battles
22 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

TIA

I think Agir took a real beating during development and lost quite a bit of what would make it appealing. The Siegfried is the better among the two though for yummy RP.

Personally Alaska is a no brainer. The consumable suite and exceptional AP and HE performance make it the clear choice.

If in doubt always check the LWM reviews....they are as always the best reference.

Edited by Sumseaman
  • Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Members
6,321 posts

Alaska.  Agir can be fun, too, but I like Alaska better.  (I have both)

That superheavy US AP hurts.   

Edited by Kirov_Six

[Y0L0W]
Members
644 posts
20,641 battles
17 minutes ago, Tigermaus said:

I really enjoy the Argir and enjoy driving it more than the Alaska. Having said that, I personally think the Alaska is the best tier 9 cruiser in the game. 

I second this. For random battle fun Agir is great, but Alaska..

[WOLFG]
Members
33,617 posts
10,438 battles
1 hour ago, Tigermaus said:

Yes lol.

I'm not a big fan of US CAs, as they lack range compared to KM CAs, and thus are IMO too dependent on shooting over cover.

But here, range isn't an issue.

One question I have is, I read LWM's reviews, and gather that, if you're comfy with NC's guns, you'll be ok with Alaska's. (as far as hitting things anyway) 

What ship can I compare Agir's gunnery to?

[BOTO]
Members
1,460 posts
18,194 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

TIA

Alaska all day long. Not only is it better than Agir, it's one of the best ships in the game at any tier.

[MISRY]
Members
935 posts
6,862 battles
1 hour ago, Tigermaus said:

Siegfried stats are trouncing all other T9 cruisers at the moment. 

[MISRY]
Members
935 posts
6,862 battles

Agir is the ship you get when you have every other FXP ship and just have a bunch of FXP to spend on something. Alaska is the better ship because it has radar, and therefore makes it useful in ranked battles. Plus, Alaska is nearing retirement age in terms of being available for FXP. Get it free while you can. 

[OO7]
Members
481 posts
30,143 battles
11 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

That's what happens when a ship is very exclusive. The stats will appear much better than the ship actually performs 

[MISRY]
Members
935 posts
6,862 battles
1 minute ago, eagle_lance said:

That's what happens when a ship is very exclusive. The stats will appear much better than the ship actually performs 

I have the ship and I can confirm it's borderline OP. 

[WOLF4]
Members
896 posts
12,339 battles

Alaska AIAEC.

Don't get me wrong - I enjoy Agir as well, it's situationally a pretty good boat - but it has nowhere near the consistent match influence that Alaska is capable of.

[NVRDY]
Beta Testers
1,672 posts
9,070 battles
17 minutes ago, General_Lee_Miserable said:

Siegfried doesn't have the utility Alaska has though. The Alaska seems to consistently be capable of influencing matches. 

• Cool 1

[MISRY]
Members
935 posts
6,862 battles
1 minute ago, Tigermaus said:

Siegfried doesn't have the utility Alaska has though. 

I'll take Siegfried's med to long range accuracy, long range hydro, torpedos, and spotter plane over Alaska's floaty guns and radar any day. Siegfried is by far the better ship in randoms. Ranked is up in the air until we get the first full season or sprint with Siegfried and Alaska together. 

• Funny 1
  • Meh 2

[PYK]
Beta Testers
211 posts
2,734 battles

I have the Alaska and don't enjoy it much. Even though the Alaska is between a BB and CA, its armor can't resist many hits no matter the angle. It's mainly a cruiser killer with high alpha AP shells.

I've played against Agirs and they seem to have much better armor.

[RBMKI]
Members
376 posts
6,252 battles

I presume a hybrid secondary build Agir would kill the Alaska outright in a 1 vs 1 ranked. It shoots better at range, and has torps.

Edited by MudRaker227

[WPORT]
Members
9,875 posts
14,356 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

TIA

If it were me, I'd pick the one equipped with torpedoes.

[FRR]
Members
971 posts
13 hours ago, Skpstr said:

TIA

I have Alaska and Ägir. I find Ägir more fun to play because it has torpedoes. Very useful in Coop and very fun at times when a push is needed in Random Battles.

13283551_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_08.04-02_47_11_38.thumb.png.e2ba35e209dde2e16955d4f3658c9729.png1786337017_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_08.04-02_47_28_22.thumb.png.6321a62806c656c49c14e045e738d2bb.png552607616_WorldofWarshipsScreenshot2020_08.04-02_47_57_88.thumb.png.cd9a59acf21cda74b17c8211834be576.png

Keep in mind I am a below average player. :cap_haloween:

Members
1,226 posts
5,930 battles

Alaska is definitely the better ship on the whole. Agir isn't bad mind you, it's just not Alaska.

Edited by Tekina_

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,004 battles

IMO, Alaska is a more dangerous threat to a team because of being a Radar Cruiser.  Not only that, she's a Radar Cruiser that's hard to just delete like a number of such ships tend to be.