Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Whitebuster

Pommern good but FDG bad?

22 comments in this topic

[PYK]
Beta Testers
211 posts
2,734 battles

Recent reviews of the tier 9 Pommern are mostly positive and claim that it is a fun ship. On the other hand, there are numerous threads complaining about how the same tier FDG sucks and is a pain to grind to GK.

Judging by stats, Pommern seems to just be an FDG with similar armor, lower health, more but smaller guns, and some torpedoes. Both are close range brawlers with excellent secondaries and hydro.

What makes the Pommern so much better than the FDG?

• Cool 2

[NMKJT]
Members
3,291 posts
8,467 battles
Just now, Whitebuster said:

Recent reviews of the tier 9 Pommern are mostly positive and claim that it is a fun ship. On the other hand, there are numerous threads complaining about how the same tier FDG sucks and is a pain to grind to GK.

Judging by stats, Pommern seems to just be an FDG with similar armor, lower health, more but smaller guns, and some torpedoes. Both are close range brawlers with excellent secondaries and hydro.

More guns generally feels better, even if it's not hard to get damage with FDG's after all the buffs. Also the torpedoes.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,786 posts
21,696 battles

FDG being crap is an old narrative that persists even though the ship's pretty decent now, far as I know. Same with Izumo, for example. @MnemonScarlet has good points as well that more guns feels more fun, and torpedoes do help.

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
6,680 posts
3,338 battles

I enjoyed my FDG quite a bit. She's tough as old boots, has fantastic secondaries, punchy guns when they hit stuff, and she actually got me the second highest damage game I've ever had.

• Cool 1

[SIM]
Members
5,848 posts
9,315 battles

I had no problems with the FdG when I grinded through it last year.

• Cool 1

[PHD]
Members
302 posts
10,076 battles
51 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

I like them both.

[PYK]
Beta Testers
211 posts
2,734 battles
1 minute ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Just cause they are both german BBs at the same tier doesn't mean you should compare the two. 

I'm comparing the two because they have a similar playstyle in brawling. German BBs tend to share characteristics designed for brawling.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,786 posts
21,696 battles
10 minutes ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Just cause they are both german BBs at the same tier doesn't mean you should compare the two. 

They're literally the same hull with a slightly different armament.

• Cool 3

Members
404 posts
1 hour ago, Whitebuster said:

Ok, misunderstanding of Ships.

Keep in mind I own neither yet..  Pommern is much closer to Grober Kurfurst due to the orientation and setup..

FDG has been complained about for a few years.. It is misunderstood however..  A few people figured out a while back that the FDG's strengths lay in luring an enemy into a chasing fight... It's a stronger ship kiting away than it is charging bows in.... Because most players only seem to know how their "W" key works and little else, they miss out on controlling the engagement distance, or they put the wrong captain on it (Ignoring a Secondary build is quite frankly ignoring the ships strengths).  Ships, like boxers, need to be considered individually.. 

1.  Some are going to be distance fighters

2. Some are going to be rope-a-dope fighters, keeping a target right on the edge of their striking ability  (Put the FDG here)

3. Some are going to be close range heavy hitters (like Rocky Marciano... Put the Pommern here, due to extra guns, crappy sigma, and torps)

Hope that helps you understand or think of them a little differently.  At the end of the day though, use them in whatever way you find effective.

• Cool 2

[USN]
Members
1,638 posts
21,111 battles
1 hour ago, Whitebuster said:

Because sending 12 barely accurate guns down range vs. 8 barely accurate guns can easily make up any differences in sigma or horizontal dispersion.

• Cool 1

[PYK]
Beta Testers
211 posts
2,734 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_Conundrum said:

Ok, misunderstanding of Ships.

Keep in mind I own neither yet..  Pommern is much closer to Grober Kurfurst due to the orientation and setup..

FDG has been complained about for a few years.. It is misunderstood however..  A few people figured out a while back that the FDG's strengths lay in luring an enemy into a chasing fight... It's a stronger ship kiting away than it is charging bows in.... Because most players only seem to know how their "W" key works and little else, they miss out on controlling the engagement distance, or they put the wrong captain on it (Ignoring a Secondary build is quite frankly ignoring the ships strengths).  Ships, like boxers, need to be considered individually.. 

1.  Some are going to be distance fighters

2. Some are going to be rope-a-dope fighters, keeping a target right on the edge of their striking ability  (Put the FDG here)

3. Some are going to be close range heavy hitters (like Rocky Marciano... Put the Pommern here, due to extra guns, crappy sigma, and torps)

Hope that helps you understand or think of them a little differently.  At the end of the day though, use them in whatever way you find effective.

Interesting strategy on using FDG. I always thought that the strong bow is supposed to allow charging in and chewing down your opponents with secondaries at point-blank range. I'll try your strategy when I get the FDG.

Members
404 posts
4 minutes ago, Whitebuster said:

Interesting strategy on using FDG. I always thought that the strong bow is supposed to allow charging in and chewing down your opponents with secondaries at point-blank range. I'll try your strategy when I get the FDG.

With the FDG it has more to do with the firing arcs on the main Turrets,  keeping your armor extremely angled, and swinging out to get all barrels on target before angling again before the enemy reloads..  

It would take time and practice, as well as knowing where and how to position, but those I've talked to that learn how to really use the FDG like that get some amazing performance from her...  Just be mindful of the HE spam, so bring friends to back you up.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
4 hours ago, tfcas119 said:

Because sending 12 barely accurate guns down range vs. 8 barely accurate guns can easily make up any differences in sigma or horizontal dispersion.

Both ships have the same dispersion. FDG has 1.8 sigma vs 1.5 for Pommendorf.

There is some debate as to how much difference 0.3 sigma makes, but at least on paper it's not a straight comparison, it's possible that part of what Pommy is giving up is accuracy, which could makes the main armament a wash. 

And because Pommy has a slower ROF, its advantage in rounds downrange per minute is only about 3.5. 

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Members
404 posts
3 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Both ships have the same dispersion.

FDG has 1.8 sigma vs 1.5 for Pommendorf.

There is some debate as to how much difference 0.3 sigma makes, but at least on paper it's not a straight comparison, it's possible that part of what Pommy is giving up is accuracy, which could makes the main armament a wash.

Though you do have 4 extra filler shells there.  We will have to wait and see.  I may decide to save up the coal and give Pommern a try.

[KNFA]
Beta Testers
502 posts
5,669 battles
7 hours ago, Whitebuster said:

12 guns Vs 8 guns basicly

Even with 1.5 sigma Pommern hits the target more often.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles

FDG is fine, especially after all her buffs and now using USN / RN BB Dispersion.  She suffers from her old reputation that others will never get over with.

Slap on MBM3, stick to the 406mm guns, and you're looking at 22.88 seconds reload.  I wish I had that on the initial grind.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 2

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,072 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

FDG is fine, especially after all her buffs and now using USN / RN BB Dispersion.  She suffers from her old reputation that others will never get over with.

Slap on MBM3, stick to the 406mm guns, and you're looking at 22.88 seconds reload.  I wish I had that on the initial grind.

Really? I might have to buy her back then. I always almost liked Freddie, but for the mercurial guns. I had my highest potential damage game in her, 5.2 million.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,919 posts
26,019 battles
31 minutes ago, Taichunger said:

Really? I might have to buy her back then. I always almost liked Freddie, but for the mercurial guns. I had my highest potential damage game in her, 5.2 million.

The standout thing with her is her staying power.  I got her long ago when I was an absolute Potato and she saw me through some stupid sh*t where I should have died, but saved me instead.

Understand that with only 8 rifles, there's a lot of room for RNG to bork you over.  Think Bismarck, Richelieu.  Even Republique with her 8 guns will have salvos that make you want to throw your keyboard out.  But FDG does the Republique route... Fast reload.  8 gun salvos may get screwy, but with 22.88 seconds base reload with MBM3, you can at least try again sooner.

FDG won't win Sniper Awards with the move up to USN / RN BB Dispersion, but she'll try again a lot quicker than a lot of her BB competition this tier.

The other nice thing is with the move up to 16" guns in Tier IX, you don't have to deal with High Tier German & USN CAs face tanking your AP like they did when you were on Bismarck / Tirpitz, and other 15" armed BBs.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[46856]
Members
2,040 posts
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

This up here- that 22nd reload and secondaries make her worth while. She hits harder than the Pomeranian and does it faster.

[KIA-C]
Members
3,817 posts
16,743 battles

I've tried FDG *stock* and she is actually pretty solid.

I would say that FDG is the new Izumo : a ship everyone hated because it was bad and received a lot of buff that made her good now. With a slight difference: Izumo was never bad, her gunnery was pretty solid but her armour was quite bad. FDG was quite bad to be fair, probably weaker than pre buff Izumo but now when fully modded, she's a solid ship. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this