You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
No_Boundaries45

BB-62 USS New Jersey Main 16" guns resto

37 comments in this topic

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
25 posts
3,556 battles

Video of the extensive job of moving the 16" guns from USS New Jersey(BB-62). Enjoy!

Credit for the video goes to the videos producers.

• Cool 2

[REVY]
Members
8,420 posts
6,118 battles

Looks like their just moving the detachable barrel.

[RLGN]
Members
16,204 posts
28,082 battles
1 minute ago, Sventex said:

Looks like their just moving the detachable barrel.

Something I would like to see is a video of them moving a gunhouse from where it gets assembled to a fitting out dock.

Even with the roof off, that’s got to be an insane amount of weight to move with 1930s-40s tech, never mind during the 1910s Dreadnaught race.

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles

Can’t help but humorously  imagining  getting pulled over by the police while transporting one of the 16” guns and they ask if you have any weapons to declare before they sea ch the truck. And the driver goes “well about that, not sure if it’s legal to be in possession of but...” :Smile_veryhappy:

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[REVY]
Members
8,420 posts
6,118 battles
14 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Can’t help but humorously  imagining  getting pulled over by the police while transporting one of the 16” guns and they ask if you have any weapons to declare before they sea ch the truck. And the driver goes “well about that, not sure if it’s legal to be in possession of but...” :Smile_veryhappy:

If it's just a barrel, it's effectively just a large pipe.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,786 posts
21,696 battles
5 minutes ago, Sventex said:

Still a weapon, though. Imagine swinging it into someone's head ....

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
24 minutes ago, Sventex said:

See the tarp? If what is under their is what I think it is you could still fire the gun if you managed to get it loaded and maybe semi braced some how. Granted you typically see it in a gun turret, but that dies not mean it can’t be used outside the turret. Although they may have the breach plate removed for transport, but then again they could still have it as where exactly would you just dig up a 16” gun shell!? Lol

Have seen various gun calibers where for civilian transport the guns were in disabled form which most commonly that breached plate being removed or something like that when it comes to weapons you just might be able to get some ammunition from some where. But 16” shells those are more difficult to get or at least I would assume so with the size and relative rarity of them.

[REVY]
Members
8,420 posts
6,118 battles
32 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

See the tarp? If what is under their is what I think it is you could still fire the gun if you managed to get it loaded and maybe semi braced some how. Granted you typically see it in a gun turret, but that dies not mean it can’t be used outside the turret. Although they may have the breach plate removed for transport, but then again they could still have it as where exactly would you just dig up a 16” gun shell!? Lol

Have seen various gun calibers where for civilian transport the guns were in disabled form which most commonly that breached plate being removed or something like that when it comes to weapons you just might be able to get some ammunition from some where. But 16” shells those are more difficult to get or at least I would assume so with the size and relative rarity of them.

16" naval shells aren't self propelled so it wouldn't be that dangerous is some yahoo put a shell in the open barrel.  If they suddenly got their hands on 660lb of propellant and stuffed that into the barrel, then that's when things get dangerous.

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
11 minutes ago, Sventex said:

16" naval shells aren't self propelled so it wouldn't be that dangerous is some yahoo put a shell in the open barrel.  If they suddenly got their hands on 660lb of propellant and stuffed that into the barrel, then that's when things get dangerous.

My point exactly firing the gun would not be at all easy, so it could very well be transported in a condition where it technically could be fired if you got your hands on both the shell and propellant.

[REVY]
Members
8,420 posts
6,118 battles
Just now, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

My point exactly firing the gun would not be at all easy, so it could very well be transported in a condition where it technically could be fired if you got your hands on both the shell and propellant.

But I don't think they brought the breechblock with them, there would be no reason to.  Even if you got your hands on a shell and the propellant, sealing the barrel would be very hard because you'd need a very precisely machined part to to seal the breech. 

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
7 minutes ago, Sventex said:

But I don't think they brought the breechblock with them, there would be no reason to.  Even if you got your hands on a shell and the propellant, sealing the barrel would be very hard because you'd need a very precisely machined part to to seal the breech. 

It’s not under that tarp? If your fully restoring a gun like that I would assume they would include the breach block because as you said it’s a very precisely machined part, and not like somebody is going to be able to load / use the gun anyway.

[REVY]
Members
8,420 posts
6,118 battles
6 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

It’s not under that tarp? If your fully restoring a gun like that I would assume they would include the breach block because as you said it’s a very precisely machined part, and not like somebody is going to be able to load / use the gun anyway.

I didn't read anything about the guns being restored, only that they were saved from scrapping so they could be put on display.  If your putting them on display, all you really need to do to impress is have the barrel.  In fact, if they did include the breachblock, they might need to disable the gun with concrete or something if it's just going to sit there for the public to interact with because it'd be a destructive device then.

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
17 minutes ago, Sventex said:

I didn't read anything about the guns being restored, only that they were saved from scrapping so they could be put on display.  If your putting them on display, all you really need to do to impress is have the barrel.  In fact, if they did include the breachblock, they might need to disable the gun with concrete or something if it's just going to sit there for the public to interact with because it'd be a destructive device then.

Except that I think the Iowa Class BBs are still technically in mothballed status so despite being museum ships they are kept in conditions that can be fairly quickly pushed back into service.

[REVY]
Members
8,420 posts
6,118 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Except that I think the Iowa Class BBs are still technically in mothballed status so despite being museum ships they are kept in conditions that can be fairly quickly pushed back into service.

No.  All Iowa class Battleships left the mothball fleet long ago were converted into museum ships. Technically I think they could be reactivated, but I think that's entirely unlikely, they are listed as historic sites now.

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
38 minutes ago, Sventex said:

No.  All Iowa class Battleships left the mothball fleet long ago were converted into museum ships. Technically I think they could be reactivated, but I think that's entirely unlikely, they are listed as historic sites now.

Maybe because the USN is developing / using those Hypersonic shells these days which would finally on theory render Iowa Class BBs obsolete in the high velocity fire support role.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,617 posts
13,182 battles
1 hour ago, Sventex said:

That's a complete barrel from muzzle to breach face, you can see the interrupted threads in some of the last pictures that would accept the breach plug. 16"/50 (40.6 cm) Mark 7. It's missing the breach operating mechanism, trunions and recoil system.

Looks like they gave them a coat of paint, which is about all you can do with them.

As far as disabling them, there would be no need, the ammunition is so impractical to make and otherwise completely unavailable so it's not an issue, much like a privately owned antique cannon. Getting the explosives licence required to even have enough propellant for one shot would be entertaining though.

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
8,420 posts
6,118 battles
3 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

That's a complete barrel from muzzle to breach face, you can see the interrupted threads in some of the last pictures that would accept the breach plug. 16"/50 (40.6 cm) Mark 7. It's missing the breach operating mechanism, trunions and recoil system.

Looks like they gave them a coat of paint, which is about all you can do with them.

As far as disabling them, there would be no need, the ammunition is so impractical to make and otherwise completely unavailable so it's not an issue, much like a privately owned antique cannon. Getting the explosives licence required to even have enough propellant for one shot would be entertaining though.

I've seen many antique cannons filled with concrete.  In fact, I think nearly all the cannons on USS Constitution aren't real, probably due to legal reasons.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,617 posts
13,182 battles
9 hours ago, Sventex said:

I've seen many antique cannons filled with concrete.  In fact, I think nearly all the cannons on USS Constitution aren't real, probably due to legal reasons.

Got a group around here that actually fire them, though they have to go up to some private land out in the western part of the state to do it. Having talked to them, the real issue is having an explosives.licence. Without it, some people would be limited to a couple of shots at events. Some of these are cartridge firing smaller pieces, there's a few breach loading bag guns, but most of them are muzzle loaders.

USS Constitution doesn't care about the legality of carrying functioning large caliber weapons, she's a commissioned US Navy warship. Many of her guns are replicas, to save the stress on her timbers, and plugging the fakes (or non-certified guns for that matter) makes it easy to separate the safe guns to use from the ones that would turn into bombs fairly easy. Having an accident and blowing a hole in the side of the ship would suck on the 4th of July. 

Now plugging guns that will never be used to keep them from turning into trashcans is a good idea and concrete is cheap. Have the same problem at air shows with aircraft, people are slobs, and they'll stuff trash into an intake for avionics cooling before they get up and walk 3 feet to an actual trash can.

[REVY]
Members
8,420 posts
6,118 battles
4 hours ago, SgtBeltfed said:

Many of her guns are replicas, to save the stress on her timbers,

I'm not sure I understand the logic here, the real cannon would weigh as much as a replica, perhaps the replica would even be slightly heavier since it's missing the breech for the fuse, so how does that save stress on the timbers?  Just because the cannon is functional doesn't mean it ever has to be used.

Edited by Sventex

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
21 hours ago, Sventex said:

Now yes those would need to be either fakes or real ones that are simply disabled since getting enough black powder and cannon ball or shot would be a lot easier.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,617 posts
13,182 battles
7 hours ago, Sventex said:

I'm not sure I understand the logic here, the real cannon would weigh as much as a replica, perhaps the replica would even be slightly heavier since it's missing the breech for the fuse, so how does that save stress on the timbers?  Just because the cannon is functional doesn't mean it ever has to be used.

The replicas aren't all cast iron or of the same construction, and even of the ones that are, not all of them are safe to shoot as per Navy regulations. So if it's not safe to shoot, it gets plugged. If someone thought that a mistake could be made and an unsafe gun could possibly be loaded, they're gonna stop it from happening when dealing with a 220+ year old ship.

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
On 8/7/2020 at 7:46 PM, SgtBeltfed said:

Lol if you want some amusement look up Star Wars Mandalorian articles. Remember just the first season of that they burned through so many blank ammo charges for the battle special effects that they were hitting their hefty licensed limits and were concerned about running out lol. Based on fan input over the years and the directors being good for that series they have used a lot of real sets and effects instead of CGI which is what they did in original Star Wars Trilogy and helped make them popular.

Based on your post here I am fairly certain if you did small amount of digging for the article or articles about Mandalorian series production  / explosives ammo it might be amusing for you.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,617 posts
13,182 battles
7 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Lol if you want some amusement look up Star Wars Mandalorian articles. Remember just the first season of that they burned through so many blank ammo charges for the battle special effects that they were hitting their hefty licensed limits and were concerned about running out lol. Based on fan input over the years and the directors being good for that series they have used a lot of real sets and effects instead of CGI which is what they did in original Star Wars Trilogy and helped make them popular.

Based on your post here I am fairly certain if you did small amount of digging for the article or articles about Mandalorian series production  / explosives ammo it might be amusing for you.

Sounds like fun to look into, I'll have to get with one of my co-workers to see how much explosive that is, he and his dad have a replica 6-pound field gun that they take to competitions.  

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
3,617 posts
13,182 battles

Looking at Constitution's guns now, they've gone to big red plugs (probably plastic) in the ends of the non-functioning guns.

The functioning "guns" are saluting guns now, that have been dressed up to look the part.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
25 posts
3,556 battles

Hey everyone...thanks for watching and replying. I didnt think this was gunna get that much attention. I came across another video..so here it is!

• Cool 1