You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
TheGreatBlasto

Are there any good T9 tech tree ships?

57 comments in this topic

[BROOK]
Banned
2,260 posts

I have heard in the past that the Fletcher was good.  But no one ever mentions her anymore.

Edited by TheGreatBlasto
Typo
  • Meh 1

[GLF]
Members
582 posts
8,219 battles

yes.

Fletcher, kita, yugumo, Jutland, udaloi, Buffalo, Riga, brindisi, soyuz, ostergotland, a few others I would argue for. 

There are just some painful ones as well.

Edited by MinkeWhale
  • Cool 3

[FORM]
Members
2,381 posts
13,542 battles
32 minutes ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

I have heard in the past that the Fletcher was good.  But no one ever mentions her anymore.

Many players consider several of the tier 9 DDs to be as strong or stronger than their tier 10 counterparts - often because of lower visibility. 

As to the Fletcher, the consensus is she's been a bit power crept by so many new DDs that the field is more muddled than it was and she's not as shiny and new anymore.

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,290 battles

Neptune is overall a clear improvement over Edinburgh if you play her smoke.

I liked more Izumo than Amagi thanks to her better gun configurations.

FDG is a poor man Bismarck. A stinker.

Seatle is a sluggish Cleveland with more DPM and less concealment, a Stinker.
Buffalo is a worst Baltimore.

Ibuki is a slightly better Mogami 203mm.

Alsace is a Brawling Richelieu, which is great.

Kitakaze is the best ships of the gunboat line.

Yugumo is great.

• Meh 1

[UN1]
Members
1,385 posts
4,471 battles

Soyuz is fantastic. Kitikaze is great. Jutland is great. Izumo is surprisingly good now since her buffs. Alsace is great. 

Some trees have rotten T9's, but usually the ones with rotten T9's have very good T8's. Some lines have more even keel T8/9 experiences. 

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts

Roon, Soyuz and Saint-Louis. Only tier 9 techs I have at the moment. Where I'd play a 9, I use an 8 or 10. 

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,653 battles
4 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Roon, Soyuz and Saint-Louis. Only tier 9 techs I have at the moment. Where I'd play a 9, I use an 8 or 10. 

As much as it pains me, I'd disagree on the Roon, though that might just be me having a hard time nailing down her playstyle properly, feel like she just doesn't have enough impact on games.

[TNG-2]
Members
207 posts
14,699 battles

BBs: Iowa & Alsace.  (Musashi is still king)

CA: Riga, Buffalo, Brindisi, Saint Louis & (High Skill CAP, but if you know what you're doing) Smoke Neptune.  (Alaska is still king)

DD: Kitakaze, Fletcher, Ostergotland, Mogador, Jutland, Chung Mu.  (Benham & Black are excellent... but I think Kitakaze is king)

• Cool 2

Members
398 posts
7,284 battles
39 minutes ago, Heed_04 said:

BBs: Iowa & Alsace.  (Musashi is still king)

CA: Riga, Buffalo, Brindisi, Saint Louis & (High Skill CAP, but if you know what you're doing) Smoke Neptune.  (Alaska is still king)

DD: Kitakaze, Fletcher, Ostergotland, Mogador, Jutland, Chung Mu.  (Benham & Black are excellent... but I think Kitakaze is king)

Yes to Kitakami

[DOG]
Members
805 posts
14,249 battles
2 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Title of the thread and your question is out of sync - do you specifically only want to know opinions about Fletcher or are you really interested in opinions about all the Tier 9 tech tree ships? And also, "good" is rather vague in terms of quantifiable characteristics.

In general I would say - your mileage could vary (and many players feel it's the captain not the ship that makes a ship "good/great").  Some people hate certain ships (i.e., don't do well in them or don't like the ship characteristics that requires a certain play style) which other people have the opposite feeling. For example, in this thread @Y_Nagato calls the Seattle a real stinker (and I've heard other people voice similar thoughts) yet I love the Seattle and do well with it (my 2nd best Tier 9 tech tree CA, with Roon being 1st).

You could go explore a stats web site for ships by specific ship or tier to see how they are ranked (based on player performance). For example:

https://na.wows-numbers.com/ship/4272830448,Fletcher/ will give you details about the ship (same as the wiki) but also shows the win rate/avg. damage done/etc by all ships of that type and of the same tier.  However, just because the aggregate population says Mogador is the best (tech tree tier 9 DD) by win rate doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to do the same (or better).

https://wowstats.org/ships/ and then search in page for Fletcher. While with a pretty healthy number of total battles across the player population, you can't tell how recent those games are (i.e., as new lines/ships come out people switch to the newer ships and battle count drops).  You'd have to monitor the site for a number of weeks to get an idea of current trends to see if still being played a lot (which would be an indication of a "good" ship, although your definition may not be the same as other people's).

• Meh 1

[GLF]
Members
582 posts
8,219 battles

Basically, there are a lot of good ones. Depends on your playstyle. For example, I really liked Buffalo, (I'm a sucker for dev striking cruisers in cruisers) and that is widely disliked. Iowa has been awesome for me.

I left mogador off my list because I never played it, but it is widely considered great.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
13,884 posts
29,287 battles

Good is subjective and kind of generic. I am going to assume you mean more than just average good and more well above average or even great. I mean both a regular roast and prime rib are both good but one is way better LOL.

I personally think these T9 tech tree ships are really good and not just average good. I am leaving some ships out I personally like, such as FDG, because I am trying to be objective and acknowledge just because I like it doesn't mean it is a really good ship...

1. Fletcher
  2. Buffalo
  3. Iowa
  4.  Riga
  5. Sovetsky Soyuz
  6. Jutland
  7. Alsace
  8. Brindisi

There are other "good" T9 tech ships but they are more average/just above average IMO. These few above are the tech cream of the crop at T9 for me.

• Cool 1

[WOLF5]
Members
912 posts
39,058 battles
3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Good is subjective and kind of generic. I am going to assume you mean more than just average good and more well above average or even great. I mean both a regular roast and prime rib are both good but one is way better LOL.

I personally think these T9 tech tree ships are really good and not just average good. I am leaving some ships out I personally like, such as FDG, because I am trying to be objective and acknowledge just because I like it doesn't mean it is a really good ship...

1. Fletcher
  2. Buffalo
  3. Iowa
  4.  Riga
  5. Sovetsky Soyuz
  6. Jutland
  7. Alsace
  8. Brindisi

There are other "good" T9 tech ships but they are more average/just above average IMO. These few above are the tech cream of the crop at T9 for me.

Nice list, however; with the increase of CV's in the queue due the the new German CVs, if players don't know how to play around a CV (especially in randoms), it doesn't matter if the ship is good or not. 

[TIAR]
[TIAR]
Beta Testers
1,602 posts
23,061 battles
2 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Struggling with Room, still stock but not enjoying her so far

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,653 battles
1 minute ago, barbaroja_Ar said:

Struggling with Room, still stock but not enjoying her so far

Welcome Roon brother/Sister, yeah despite it being my forum name, struggling in the Roon myself, still I'm only 24k away from unlocking the Hinden so...who knows...it could just be I'm crap in High tier Cruisers...*shrugs*

[DOG]
Members
1,296 posts
13,464 battles

Generally speaking, they're all pretty good.  At least on paper, they are almost all a clear upgrade from tier VIII.  Some them (Neptune, for instance) are extremely fragile if you aren't very careful.  They also tend to get put up against tier Xs a lot in random battles, and WG made sure most of the tier Xs are a definite upgrade, in order to encourage people to finish the grind.  I've noticed, however, that MM gives you a lot of tier IX only matches lately, which is always fun.  And there are a lot of tier IX premiums that are really fun, like Georgia and Benham.

[WOLF4]
Members
395 posts
17,296 battles
45 minutes ago, MinkeWhale said:

Basically, there are a lot of good ones. Depends on your playstyle. For example, I really liked Buffalo, (I'm a sucker for dev striking cruisers in cruisers) and that is widely disliked. Iowa has been awesome for me.

I left mogador off my list because I never played it, but it is widely considered great.

That is your answer, depends on your playstyle. I personally like donskoi the french tier 9 cruiser and others mentioned. Comments will vary. None are wrong it is all point of view.

[BSL]
Members
1,232 posts
21,641 battles

I went back and repurchased Fletcher and Alsace.  Not because they were better than T10, just good botes 

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,907 posts
10,311 battles
3 hours ago, TheGreatBlasto said:

Fletcher with her 10.5km torps doesn't tend to do very well in games that have CVs and/or lots of RU radar.

Juts play Östergötland. Her and Halland are the only high-tier DDs in game right now that are consistently fun. Good AA prevents most CVs from messing with you (though good ones still can and will), and long-range torps with tight spreads allow you to stay relevant despite 12km radars.

• Meh 1

[BUOY]
Members
1,326 posts
16,828 battles

One thing to always keep in mind that TT ships general stats will always be lower than Premiums thanks to A Hulls and availability. That said good / 'easy' T9's.

BB: Soyuz, only TT BB that laughs off most HE spam / SAP if you overextend. Iowa, speedy and consistent with the slot 6 upgrade. Izumo, been actually good for awhile now.

CA/CL: Brindisi, get to a flank and force the reds to angle against you or the rest of your team. Buffalo, maximum utility and an alpha + dpm that can't be beaten. Riga, tanky and able to go unlit to reposition and heal.

DD: While the Z-46, Chung Mu, Tashkent, Udaloi and the slot machine Yugumo are average or worse, all the rest are good to great. Kitakaze is arguably the strongest DD in the game overall, period if you have a 14 point captain for IFHE+CE. Jutland is Z-46 but far better. Ostergotland can actually punish CV's with some practice and out ranges even VMF radar with its torps. Fletcher is still the original JOAT gunboat+torpedoboat and good so long as you're situationally aware. And finally Mogador is speed incarnate and has troll damage saturation. 

[WOLF9]
Wiki Lead
16,286 posts
4,773 battles

Alsace is great - good enough I actually bought her permacamo in a maudlin moment of weakness.