You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LancasterOne

How does someone with 35% WR end up in rank 7?

91 comments in this topic

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
201 posts
5,497 battles

Observation. 
Now that I have WoWs Monitor installed I'm surprised at the types of players we find in middle-level gameplay. 
35%, 43% and somehow they managed to fail their way up to level 7. I've been bouncing up and down between 7 and 8 all day and every time there's more than 2 potatoes on the team it's pretty much a write-off it seems. 
Something is desperately wrong with the ranked system if we allow potatoes like this through. 

• Cool 5
  • Haha 1
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 7

[KWF]
Members
6,395 posts
7,152 battles

Ranked isn't a matter of skill, it's a matter of how much you can bash your head on a wall and keep on going. When you can just spam Ranked sooner or later you will get somewhere.

The only thing skill affects is how fast you get to where you want. It took me 57 battles to get to rank 5  from rank 12 and I consider myself decent. I'm certain there will be many people at the same rank with double or triple the battles. What remains is they got to rank 5 and got the exact same rewards as I.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 7

[CLRN]
Members
609 posts
122 battles
5 minutes ago, LancasterOne said:

Observation. 
Now that I have WoWs Monitor installed I'm surprised at the types of players we find in middle-level gameplay. 
35%, 43% and somehow they managed to fail their way up to level 7. I've been bouncing up and down between 7 and 8 all day and every time there's more than 2 potatoes on the team it's pretty much a write-off it seems. 
Something is desperately wrong with the ranked system if we allow potatoes like this through. 

Because rank system in wows crap and ranks dont indicate player skill. anyone can rank out if they do enough amount of battles. Thats why people with sub 40% wr are able to reach rank 1. 

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[OIL-1]
Members
1,498 posts

And therein lies your problem.  "If we allow".

One person controlling another. Authority figures controlling groups. Governments controlling citizens.  Global domination world dictators controlling us all.

And it all started because one person wanted a video game to be played 'his' way.

• Cool 5
  • Funny 3
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 3
  • Boring 2
  • Meh 1

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,332 battles
8 minutes ago, z9_ said:

One person controlling another. Authority figures controlling groups. Governments controlling citizens.  Global domination world dictators controlling us all.

And it all started because one person wanted a video game to be played 'his' way.

Big word when the other just want a rank system based on skill and not how how much time you can spend on it.

• Cool 2

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
201 posts
5,497 battles
16 minutes ago, z9_ said:

It's a competitive ladder system. It's like asking why don't we allow quadriplegics in tag-team wrestling matches. 

• Haha 1

[KWF]
Members
6,395 posts
7,152 battles
10 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Big word when the other just want a rank system based on skill and not how how much time you can spend on it.

This will never happen, simply because there will be no interest in the end. Consider the average player, and how far away Steel is from him aside from snowflakes or paying. 

CB is a small part, while Ranked allows everyone regardless of clan or skill to get some Steel provided there's a bit of effort. 

That doesn't mean Ranked is perfect or doesn't need a major look at, but it serves it's purpose, and that's perfectly fine; a quick and dirty way for the average player to get their hands on a valuable currency.

Edited by warheart1992
  • Cool 3

[OIL-1]
Members
1,498 posts
9 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

just want a rank system based on skill

You want a skill based rank system for a non-skill game.
That makes about as much sense as taking WWII battleships and putting little anime girls on them. Oh wait.. Nevermind.

1 minute ago, LancasterOne said:

It's like asking why don't we allow quadriplegics in tag-team wrestling matches. 

Why don't we? We already allow men to compete in women's wrestling matches.

• Cool 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Meh 1

[PISD]
Members
1,921 posts
6,332 battles
34 minutes ago, z9_ said:
45 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

You want a skill based rank system for a non-skill game.
That makes about as much sense as taking WWII battleships and putting little anime girls on them. Oh wait.. Nevermind.

Well you either don’t play the game or do not understand how the game works.

Edited by Y_Nagato
  • Boring 2

[OIL-1]
Members
1,498 posts
4 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Well you either don’t play the game or do not understand how the fame works.

There is 'fame' in this game? I haven't seen fame since the early days of the tank game.
And don't bother explaining. I don't want to know how it works.

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
201 posts
5,497 battles
7 minutes ago, Y_Nagato said:

Well you either don’t play the game or do not understand how the fame works.

nah ignore him. He's one of those overly political people that no one likes to talk to because he drags politics into everything. 

• Cool 4

[PQUOD]
[PQUOD]
Members
5,072 posts
19,434 battles
45 minutes ago, ghostbuster_ said:

Because rank system in wows crap and ranks dont indicate player skill. anyone can rank out if they do enough amount of battles. Thats why people with sub 40% wr are able to reach rank 1. 

I respectfully disagree with that.

[CLRN]
Members
609 posts
122 battles
19 minutes ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

And your reasoning being? I have seen people with 1k+ in rank battles and around 40%wr reaching ranked 1. Where is the skill in that? 

[OIL-1]
Members
1,498 posts
21 minutes ago, LancasterOne said:

nah ignore him. He's one of those overly political people that no one likes to talk to because he drags politics into everything. 

Real politics is dull, tedious, and very grindy. But you'd have to put some effort into it to understand that.

On a more positive note, at least I didn't drag your mother into it. And thanks for getting me banned the other day.

• Cool 1

Members
2,009 posts
28,719 battles

It's difficult to come to terms with when you find out that a metric (WR / RANK / ??) that you believe shows your skill / worth / ?? also shows someone else you think far below you with the same skill / worth / ??.

• Thanks 1

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
201 posts
5,497 battles
17 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

It's difficult to come to terms with when you find out that a metric (WR / RANK / ??) that you believe shows your skill / worth / ?? also shows someone else you think far below you with the same skill / worth / ??.

those certainly are all words 

Members
1,650 posts
13 minutes ago, panamaz28 said:

lame topic

+1...at least these miraculous players (sub par WR in ranked and keep fighting for the 3 stars red flag) have something that most of us own them: they annoy players that think as LanacasterOne...(I've just been inspired by the GreatBlasto)...

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
24,468 posts
18,402 battles
1 hour ago, LancasterOne said:

Nothing is wrong with it at all. Your perception is wrong. You think it's skill-based. It's not. It's persistence-based. If you can save your star enough times in the losses (so you don't backslide) and pick up enough good teams that carry you to the wins, eventually you will rank out. 

If everyone kept their star on a loss and gained one on the win, the speed with which you ranked out might be an indicator of your skill. I can understand what they were going for with save-a-star, but unfortunately it hasn't turned out that way.

• Thanks 1

[FOXEH]
Banned
14,364 posts
20,840 battles

I have WoWs Monitor installed

I have discovered your problem.

Something is desperately wrong with the ranked system

No, something is desperately wrong with your understanding of the Ranked system; you think it's about skill and it's really about stubborn. Any cross-eyed, gopher-toothed bone-a-fone who plays enough matches in ranked will eventually rank out. Look at the win rates of some rank 1 players and you'll discover lots of 48 %ers. 

It's like asking why don't we allow quadriplegics in tag-team wrestling matches. 

They do; they have too, as it's against the law to discriminate against the handi-capped.

1 hour ago, Capt_Ahab1776 said:

Well, you can certainly do that, but you wouldn't if you checked the stats of the rank 1 players. Warning, it is shocking how many potatoes you'll find.

54 minutes ago, z9_ said:

Real politics is dull, tedious, and very grindy.

But there is a LOT of money in it and that makes it FUN!

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles

Since the game has built in mechanics to allow an assist lower skilled players to play verse skilled players (rng), why are you surprised about the rank system?

we usually have this conversation at the end of ranked, where we can see all the rank one people and see their win rates and what ships are used. 

I personally would like a true ranked system but I understand that they're making the game for everyone and they're allowing everyone to succeed if they put in the time. 

• Cool 1

[BNKR]
Members
1,653 posts
2,818 battles
2 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

Observation. 

So what? It’s a video game. 

• Cool 2
  • Meh 1

[BLAZE]
Beta Testers
201 posts
5,497 battles
1 minute ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

So what? It’s a video game. 

their presence reduces the enjoyment of players with better skills who sees winning as a big part of participating in a competitive game 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Boring 1

[WTAF]
Members
252 posts
9,510 battles
2 hours ago, LancasterOne said:

Observation. 

If you search on the web you will find people who will grind your account for you for a fee. I guess they are unicums who spend all day in front of a computer, you give them your account access info, pay them, and they

grind ship lines and/or earn rewards and ranks for you. That is one possible explanation.

Edited by Kenrod_Melrocity

[CRUEL]
Members
547 posts
10,125 battles

You know when I was new and they did ranked rentals I won my first like 8 ranked games in a row. Was like this is so easy. Then.....reality hit.