You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
VonSchoenvorts

STOP HIDING!!!!

20 comments in this topic

Banned
120 posts
11,462 battles

I keep seeing this over and over and over. Battleships fighting a losing battle against superior numbers. And why does this happen? Sometimes it's because they make poor decisions(I've been guilty), but more times than not it's because they get NO support from their "team". I know if you're in a cruiser or destroyer you don't want to get deleted quickly but if you allow your battleships to die, you will either get killed as they drive you out of your hiding spot or you'll survive the battle only to lose the battle. Sometimes being cautious is very necessary, but sometimes you need to go out and fight. Playing defensively is a great strategy if your team is on the same page, but if you need to push there needs to be strength in numbers. Communication is KEY!!! TALK TO YOUR TEAM!! MAKE A PLAN!!! AND STOP HIDING WHEN YOUR TEAM NEEDS YOU!!!! Side note on strategy, in a typical domination match with three caps, your team should concentrate on two caps. When ships go to all three caps you're going to be stretched too thin if the enemy concentrates on two or one of the caps.

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2

[OIL-1]
Members
1,510 posts

If you watch the minimap closely, you will notice that there is a good reason why some players
run to the corner or hide behind a rock. It's because they already know that they will be the first players to die,
and they're desperately trying to prevent it.

The DD player is the defacto leader of the team. Other players make decisions based on what he does.
When playing as a DD, I've learned that early communication in Randoms is almost useless, but can be
very useful once the field is settled in.
In Ranked as a DD player, I've found early communication to be very valuable. Telling your team
what you're up to at the beginning seems to get everyone on the same page.

• Cool 1
  • Thanks 2

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
540 posts
25,143 battles

Just let the DDs and CLs do their work before you move up in your BB.  They may not be simply hiding, getting into the right position with respect to the reds sometimes requires some patience.

• Cool 1

[D33P6]
Members
572 posts
21 minutes ago, VonSchoenvorts said:

I keep seeing this over and over and over. Battleships fighting a losing battle against superior numbers. And why does this happen? Sometimes it's because they make poor decisions(I've been guilty), but more times than not it's because they get NO support from their "team". I know if you're in a cruiser or destroyer you don't want to get deleted quickly but if you allow your battleships to die, you will either get killed as they drive you out of your hiding spot or you'll survive the battle only to lose the battle. Sometimes being cautious is very necessary, but sometimes you need to go out and fight. Playing defensively is a great strategy if your team is on the same page, but if you need to push there needs to be strength in numbers. Communication is KEY!!! TALK TO YOUR TEAM!! MAKE A PLAN!!! AND STOP HIDING WHEN YOUR TEAM NEEDS YOU!!!! Side note on strategy, in a typical domination match with three caps, your team should concentrate on two caps. When ships go to all three caps you're going to be stretched too thin if the enemy concentrates on two or one of the caps.

If a BB charges towards 5 enemy ships and were only a total of 2 or 3 ships at this location/cap/flank or whatever  There is no saving him.  I'll do the courtesy of telling him he needs to "fall back" but I'm not following him to his destruction.  The BB player needs to understand that there is a "time" to when we need to push the attack.

Edited by HeadSplit120

[RLGN]
Members
16,223 posts
28,096 battles
4 minutes ago, z9_ said:

When playing as a DD, I've learned that early communication in Randoms is almost useless, but can be
very useful once the field is settled in.
In Ranked as a DD player, I've found early communication to be very valuable. Telling your team
what you're up to at the beginning seems to get everyone on the same page.

It certainly seems to be the case in the few Ranked I’ve played so far.

Simple stuff too...

’Aki; please follow me to A cap.’

(Sure, why not. Following my own inclination usually fails anyway.)

’I’ll back you up at C.’ (French DD I think it was.)

My Aki and the Frenchie pushed through C, and with the rest of the team holding the right flank, rolled the reds up into A.

• Cool 1

Members
713 posts
30,118 battles
42 minutes ago, VonSchoenvorts said:

Its not your teammates fault. Watch some videos and ask for some help. 

• Cool 1

[PSV]
Supertester, Wiki Editor
889 posts
6,876 battles

If the BB is alone taking fire, it's not because the team isn't supporting, but because the BB overextended. 

• Cool 2

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles

The 1st line explains it all..."against superior numbers".

Against superior numbers is the time to fall back & harass instead of push up.

If they have superior numbers on 1 flank odds are your team has superior numbers on the other flank (at least at the start).

If you can't hinder/stop the cap then be the ships that keep them distracted after they take the cap so they can't flank your superior numbers on the other flank & wait for your team's superior numbers to overcome & be able to support you later.

Hang back & let your DDs torps/cruisers radars flush out targets of opportunity.

TL/DR: Don't push against superior numbers (unless you have some other balancing factor such as an opportunity to dwindle there superior numbers w/a strategic move like a fast firing radar ship to quickly eliminate a couple out of position DDs or something like that).

BTW...playing defensively is a much more important strategy when your team is not on the same page...pushing is better achieved when you are all on the same page.

Edited by IfYouSeeKhaos
  • Cool 1

Banned
120 posts
11,462 battles

z9_ , DD's are NOT the de facto  leaders of a team, they are the eyes or scouts of a team. I agree with most of what you said besides that.

Banned
120 posts
11,462 battles

Joe_918145 , the problem with letting the DD's and cruisers go ahead and "do their work" is that they get killed by the enemy and then I don't have any support against the enemies cruisers and DD's. Destroyers should obviously go first to scout, but cruisers should stay close to the Battleships to offer support against enemy cruisers, destroyers and aircraft.

Banned
120 posts
11,462 battles

HeadSplit120 , I wasn't advocating for battleships to just charge the guns and damn the torpedoes no matter what. I was simply saying that occasionally battleships need support. There's a million different scenarios I could go into, but I've already explained the general problem.

Beta Testers
975 posts
15,169 battles

Funny, it's usually the BB's that are hiding...waaaaayyyy up the back though have seen a few lately hugging islands too.

Where is that damn Ocean map?....

Banned
120 posts
11,462 battles

IfYouSeeKhaos , if you read past the first line you'll see I was not suggesting it is a good strategy to charge into withering fire alone, quite the opposite. That said, you and I are more than less on the same page strategically.

Banned
120 posts
11,462 battles

hexeris , that's very true, a lot of times it is a BB or BB's that are hiding way in the back and that's a huge problem too. Though sometimes there is a reason, they can usually out range most other ships and if they are a decent shot they can be effective at range, depends on the situation. Each ship has it strengths and weaknesses. The ocean map is back, I've been on it recently.

[PVE]
Members
8,505 posts
24,628 battles
1 hour ago, VonSchoenvorts said:

hexeris , that's very true, a lot of times it is a BB or BB's that are hiding way in the back and that's a huge problem too. Though sometimes there is a reason, they can usually out range most other ships and if they are a decent shot they can be effective at range, depends on the situation. Each ship has it strengths and weaknesses. The ocean map is back, I've been on it recently.

Ocean map never went away... it's just much less frequent than it used to be...think he was just using that as a joking way of saying BBs wouldn't be able to hide behind islands on that map.

[JEDI-]
Members
2,684 posts
6,903 battles
1 hour ago, VonSchoenvorts said:

Exactly. Not every BB is meant to be taking fire and tanking. 

WG seems to be making this rather clear with the BB's they have been releasing except for the Pom which brand new.

In my Musashi i'm running closer to the cap. I want to take fire.

Thunderer on the other hand doesn't do well tanking and does much better at range with its awesome accuracy.

Being a BB doesn't mean they are there to tank. It depends on the ship and the player.

Edited by xalmgrey
  • Cool 1

Members
177 posts
11,209 battles
4 hours ago, VonSchoenvorts said:

TALK TO YOUR TEAM!! MAKE A PLAN!!! AND STOP HIDING WHEN YOUR TEAM NEEDS YOU!!!!

What is this gibberish, must be a new guy.