You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN

When can we try a new ranked system?

31 comments in this topic

Members
147 posts
6,977 battles

The current star system has had people up in arms since it's conception. This ranked season is very evident of that.

A while back we had a ranked sprint that was 1v1. This fundamentally is a more fair battle setup for the current star system as there are no teammates to help throw the game. If you lose, you are to blame in 1v1.

If the battle setup isn't 1v1. I would recommend that the top 7 Base XP earners get a star while the bottom 6 Base XP earners lose a star. This means it will be possible to earn a star with a loss, however you'll need to earn more Base XP then one of the winners (this might prove difficult as all the winners get a bonus to Base XP). This also means you can lose a star with a win, however this means your performance was low enough that the Base XP bonus from the win was not enough to earn you a star, which is great because you don't deserve a star in this situation (I.E. suiciding = star loss).

Edited by CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN
  • Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Meh 1

[BOTES]
Members
31 posts
12,028 battles

The only change that needs to happen to ranked is the removable of ALL irrevocable ranks.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 3
  • Meh 5

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
5,878 posts
22,414 battles

You can try it every Ranked Sprint! It's Ranked, but you can bring one friend with you, the season is really short, and the stakes aren't nearly so high.

We've asked in the past why they don't bring some of those things (like 2-man divs) to regular Ranked to make it not such a painful experience, and they said people were used to it and it was fine. :fish_glass:

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[BOTES]
[BOTES]
Members
28 posts
15,133 battles

I would love to have 1v1 back, as long as I can get a game like this again. This was with a spotter plane equipped as well.

Plane genocide best day of my life edited.jpg

[PVE]
Members
11,069 posts
19,170 battles

The Ranked system is really dumb, it shouldn't even be called Ranked Battles, maybe "Chutes and Ladders With Stars" would be a more appropriate name for the Mode. Just change the name, that would fix it.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 2

[KSC]
Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles
1 hour ago, CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN said:

The current star system has had people up in arms since it's conception. This ranked season is very evident of that.

A while back we had a ranked sprint that was 1v1. This fundamentally is a more fair battle setup for the current star system as there are no teammates to help throw the game. If you lose, you are to blame in 1v1.

If the battle setup isn't 1v1. I would recommend that the top 7 Base XP earners get a star while the bottom 6 Base XP earners lose a star. This means it will be possible to earn a star with a loss, however you'll need to earn more Base XP then one of the winners (this might prove difficult as all the winners get a bonus to Base XP). This also means you can lose a star with a win, however this means your performance was low enough that the Base XP bonus from the win was not enough to earn you a star, which is great because you don't deserve a star in this situation (I.E. suiciding = star loss).

I have been barking up that tree for 4 years now.  To little avail.  The fact that players who go afk or TK in ranked STILL GAIN STARS is ludicrous.  The very notion that this is a competitive mode is a joke.

Yes winning would still matter, because they get the winning bonus applied to their base XP thus making it markedly easier to go up.   It should be earned however.  Nor should a competitive mode punish a player whose teammates were chosen at random.   

I understand this would seem extreme so I even suggested to make it less extreme.  Make it say top 3  players gain a star.  Meaning it is possible to gain on a loss just more difficult.  The corresponding bottom 3 lose a star, meaning again possible to lose on a win but difficult.  The rest (8 players) push (ie keep a star).   Meaning majority won't change star counts.  Thus lessening the yo-yo effect which is the real pain point for most players in ranked.

The idea was when you hit your skill level you yo-yo around the "where you belong" point, but in truth the streaky nature of it means people can advance beyond their skill if they hurl enough games at it, thus creating frustration for them and their teammates.   This method would cause people to effectively plateau at a point not moving up or down no matter how many battles they play.

Edited by SyndicatedINC
  • Cool 4

Members
12,612 posts
14,320 battles
2 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

I have been barking up that tree for 4 years now.  To little avail.  The fact that players who go afk or TK in ranked STILL GAIN STARS is ludicrous.  The very notion that this is a competitive mode is a joke.

Yes winning would still matter, because they get the winning bonus applied to their base XP thus making it markedly easier to go up.   It should be earned however.  Nor should a competitive mode punish a player whose teammates were chosen at random.   

What blows my mind is how players that AFK bot can get up to Rank 4 while players that work hard and play reasonably well at playing Rank can struggle to progress up the Mid Ranks.

Only way to really solve this would be to have Ranked be 1 vs 1 where skill level would matter more and no other players to carry you up the ranks.

• Cool 2

[KSC]
Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles
1 hour ago, Edgecase said:

You can try it every Ranked Sprint! It's Ranked, but you can bring one friend with you, the season is really short, and the stakes aren't nearly so high.

We've asked in the past why they don't bring some of those things (like 2-man divs) to regular Ranked to make it not such a painful experience, and they said people were used to it and it was fine. :fish_glass:

"working as intended"

200.gif.c51d0c2acb3b1d56e9e14b216573806f.gif

• Funny 3

[KSC]
Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles
30 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

What blows my mind is how players that AFK bot can get up to Rank 4 while players that work hard and play reasonably well at playing Rank can struggle to progress up the Mid Ranks.

Only way to really solve this would be to have Ranked be 1 vs 1 where skill level would matter more and no other players to carry you up the ranks.

That 1v1 was the best season ever.  Every afk/bot I ran into was always on the OTHER team :-)  Every win was 100% me outplaying the opponent, every mistake I made punished ONLY myself not teammates, every hard fought loss was clearly me being outplayed by an opponent.  Never once was I the best player amongst 14, with the highest base XP but still on the losing team.   That right there is what ranked should be about.  Best player ALWAYS wins, the loser was ALWAYS the worse of the two.

Need a lot more of those seasons, not just sprint but real ranked.   Glorious.

• Cool 7

[WPORT]
Members
9,766 posts
14,296 battles
12 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

That 1v1 was the best season ever.  Every afk/bot I ran into was always on the OTHER team :-)  Every win was 100% me outplaying the opponent, every mistake I made punished ONLY myself not teammates, every hard fought loss was clearly me being outplayed by an opponent.  Never once was I the best player amongst 14, with the highest base XP but still on the losing team.   That right there is what ranked should be about.  Best player ALWAYS wins, the loser was ALWAYS the worse of the two.

I agree that the 1 vs. 1 Ranked battles were the best.
No excuses.  Show-up with whatever you've got and play the heck out of it. 
Win.  Lose.  Or draw. 

(Ramming flags became quite popular.)
Epic match-ups (CV's trading broadsides of secondaries while planes desperately tried to score a hit before being shredded by Tier-8 AA), and interesting mis-matches, too.
Any ship could fight any other ship available in the game (within the same tier).

Freakin' awesome!  :-)

And even a loss was profitable.  I earned a lot of ship upgrades and even purchased a Charles Martel from that 1 vs. 1 Ranked season.  :-)

Members
12,612 posts
14,320 battles
31 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

"working as intended"

200.gif.c51d0c2acb3b1d56e9e14b216573806f.gif

How did I never consider using a sword to take out my online frustrations!? :Smile_izmena::Smile_trollface:

[PVE]
Members
8,497 posts
24,554 battles
24 minutes ago, SyndicatedINC said:

Agreed 1 vs 1 was best ranked ever & was perfectly fine as it was but I think there should also be a div option where you can bring up to 3 players per team but only be divved against other divs w/the same amount of players...just for an option.

I'd still stick to 1 vs 1 personally but those that only play to hang w/friends/family (there's quite a bit of them actully) can join in also.

I forget... didn't 1 vs 1 also have the "save a star" so you didn't lose a star no matter what...or am I remembering that wrong?

Members
907 posts
1 hour ago, SyndicatedINC said:

The only part of the 1v1 that was a dagger was that everyone seemed to be taking out the same ship. There wasn't a lot of variety, just whether you owned a Tirp/Mass/Bis. With that said, it was still fun.

[KSC]
Members
2,263 posts
13,901 battles

It honestly feels like the majority of the population enjoyed the 1v1 season more than any other.  Amazing, player satisfaction is tied directly to the amount of personal agency they have in the match outcome, who would have thought :Smile_smile:

Edited by SyndicatedINC
  • Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
8,162 posts
6,047 battles
5 hours ago, CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN said:

I would recommend that the top 7 Base XP earners get a star while the bottom 6 Base XP earners lose a star. This means it will be possible to earn a star with a loss, however you'll need to earn more Base XP then one of the winners (this might prove difficult as all the winners get a bonus to Base XP). This also means you can lose a star with a win, however this means your performance was low enough that the Base XP bonus from the win was not enough to earn you a star, which is great because you don't deserve a star in this situation (I.E. suiciding = star loss).

This horrible idea again? 

I already have stated why it would be the worst game mode ever in other threads. 

Suffice to say in makes winning/losing irrelevant.

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,342 posts

I get into rank ten land and pick up a flag.

Get involved with some teams and games that did NOT go well as four enemies spend a hour working on sinking my bismark.... back to rank 12 or whatever it was.

I don't play much ranked. The bigger problem is finding 7 for a clan battle. We have had maybe two 6 weeks ago and that's it. We would have 4, 5, 6 online ready to go at all hours in any server but never 7 or more that can get into that kind of game.

The good news is that the Bismarck holds up well to punishment. Just need shells that can do actual damage instead of just tapping on enemy ships and making a hollow noise.

[OIL-1]
Members
1,446 posts
6 hours ago, CAPTAIN_JACK_HOLDEN said:

A while back we had a ranked sprint that was 1v1. This fundamentally is a more fair battle setup

No it isn't. If you didn't have a Tirpitz you were screwed. Stop asking for more P2W.

Save-a-Star is great. You can rank out in 10 battles. Get all those prizes.
That's what you always claim. Everyone is doing it. So you must be doing it too, right?

• Boring 2

[WPORT]
Members
9,766 posts
14,296 battles
2 hours ago, SyndicatedINC said:

It honestly feels like the majority of the population enjoyed the 1v1 season more than any other.  Amazing, player satisfaction is tied directly to the amount of personal agency they have in the match outcome, who would have thought :Smile_smile:

:cap_like:

• Cool 1

[WPORT]
Members
9,766 posts
14,296 battles
31 minutes ago, z9_ said:

No it isn't. If you didn't have a Tirpitz you were screwed. Stop asking for more P2W.

That's what you always claim. Everyone is doing it. So you must be doing it too, right?

I sank a few Tirpitz's.  And I didn't have one.  (I do now, but didn't have one then.)

I played every Tier-8 ship I had at the time.  Chapayev, HSF Harekaze, Cossack, Massachusetts, Bismarck, Shokaku, Graf Zeppelin, and etc.  And I ranked out using a newly purchased Charles Martel.
I played 190 battles to Rank out.
Not for lack of trying.  I had a number of interesting and entertaining games and kept learning from each one.

Good times.  :-)

Members
12,612 posts
14,320 battles
9 minutes ago, Wolfswetpaws said:

I sank a few Tirpitz's.  And I didn't have one.  (I do now, but didn't have one then.)

I played every Tier-8 ship I had at the time.  Chapayev, HSF Harekaze, Cossack, Massachusetts, Bismarck, Shokaku, Graf Zeppelin, and etc.  And I ranked out using a newly purchased Charles Martel.
I played 190 battles to Rank out.
Not for lack of trying.  I had a number of interesting and entertaining games and kept learning from each one.

Good times.  :-)

Problem at the moment is not much to learn from in some battles since you could have played really well, but have had an AFK or 2, the active players be clueless, and enemy team had 2-3 skilled players and rest of their team is at least all active.

Well take it back there are things you could learn such as not using team support ship for example as you might not really have a team to support.

Or my lesson learned over past 3 days is its currently impossible for me to make Rank 5 as I have literally been just star saving and bouncing up and down between ranks 7-6. So either need to stop for few days or else stop for current season. And this was with my doing steady 64% WR in Akizuki until I hit 1 Star from Rank 5. According to previous seasons players had made calculations with I should be able to be Ranking out instead of stalled out.

[WPORT]
Members
9,766 posts
14,296 battles
11 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Problem at the moment is not much to learn from in some battles since you could have played really well, but have had an AFK or 2, the active players be clueless, and enemy team had 2-3 skilled players and rest of their team is at least all active.

Well take it back there are things you could learn such as not using team support ship for example as you might not really have a team to support.

Or my lesson learned over past 3 days is its currently impossible for me to make Rank 5 as I have literally been just star saving and bouncing up and down between ranks 7-6. So either need to stop for few days or else stop for current season. And this was with my doing steady 64% WR in Akizuki until I hit 1 Star from Rank 5. According to previous seasons players had made calculations with I should be able to be Ranking out instead of stalled out.

The time I "Ranked Out" that I was referring to was when it was the 1 vs. 1 Ranked Battles season/sprint.

Members
12,612 posts
14,320 battles
Just now, Wolfswetpaws said:

The time I "Ranked Out" that I was referring to was when it was the 1 vs. 1 Ranked Battles season/sprint.

Ah yes that was a very educational and fun season of Ranked. :cap_like:

[DVYJC]
Members
4,184 posts
10,772 battles
3 hours ago, z9_ said:

I ranked out with like a 70% win rate in a tech tree destroyer. I never lost a battle against a Tirpitz, Massachusetts, or CV.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,995 battles
6 hours ago, SyndicatedINC said:

It seems like if they would run that on low peak days, they could get a lot more players involved. Have short rank Sprint every Tuesday or whatever the low day of the week is.

Or at least run it regularly. It was so much fun.

• Cool 1