You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Ensign Cthulhu's Quick and Dirty Guide to the 0.9.7 directives.

49 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
24,534 posts
18,537 battles

FIRST THE RULES.

Rule 1: Unless otherwise specified, all of this can be accomplished in any Tier 5-plus ship over any number of battles  in Randoms, Ranked or Co-op.

Rule 2: MOST tasks that call for XP, base XP, credits, Free XP or Commander XP can also be done in clan or Scenario battles.

Rule 3: Regardless of what I say here, I am not perfect, typos happen, and the game client has the last word. Check for yourselves before heading out. 

Rule 4: DO NOT buy a premium ship to assist you with completing these missions unless you were going to buy it anyway.

Rule 5: The probability to drop a premium ship is very, very small and not worth ranting over if you fail.

Rule 6: Any unfinished tasks for Directives 1 to 3 continue to be worked on even after the subsequent directive opens, but the close of Directive 4 is the final cutoff for everything. 

Rule 7: This is a strategy and encouragement guide, not a place for you to rant about Wargaming, Carriers, container drop rates or anything like that. You want to do that? Make your own thread with the appropriate title and own it. Don't bring your salty cancer under someone else's benign umbrella. 

OKAY, NOW THE DIRECTIVES:

DIRECTIVE 1: Any five of the following. Began yesterday, 5 August. Rewards one Yellow Kriegsmarine container. Tasks that reward a Red KM container will be marked accordingly. The remainder reward various flags.

• Obtain 3 spotting ribbons.
  • Get 250 gun hits, either main or secondary.
  • Earn 1.5 million credits (before service deductions or other penalties).
  • EITHER get 25 fires and/or floods, OR in T6 premium CV Erich Loewenhartdt, sink 5 ships.
  • EITHER earn 17,500 Base XP (before premium time or other bonuses) OR in T9 Premium BB Pommern, earn 5,400 Base XP.  (RED KM BOX.)
  • Score 40 Citadels and/or torpedo hits. (RED KM BOX)
  • IN ONE RANDOM OR RANKED BATTLE, score 5 achievements.
  • IN ONE RANDOM OR RANKED BATTLE, earn 2300 base XP.

My strategy: Go into co-op at first. Choose the fastest firing ships with HE ammunition in their guns and with torpedoes, and finish the gun hit mission first. If you have carriers, switch to them for spotting ribbons, fires and torpedo hits. Note that tech-tree KM carriers cannot start fires except with the carrier's own secondary guns, and T8 CV Indomitable does not have torpedoes and can only get floods in a ramming attack. Choose your ships accordingly. 

Once you have the specific combat tasks done, switch back to Randoms (as and if you should desire) and pick up what's left of the credit mission to have access to directive 2 as soon as it opens. The Base XP mission will fall in due course and you can reclaim its container whenever that happens. The in-one-battle tasks are for minor rewards, and should be allowed to lie undone if you are not very skilled. Trying specifically to do them will only bring performance pressure. 

DIRECTIVE 2: Not revealed but assumed to be any five of the following. See notes for Directive 1. Opens Monday 10 August.

• Be the first to spot 25 torpedoes.
  • By any means, shoot down 25 aircraft.
  • Make 3 million credits before service costs or other deductions.
  • EITHER sink 25 ships OR, in Erich Loewenhardt, make 3600 base XP (before premium time or other bonuses).
  • EITHER make 100,000 Commander XP OR, in T9 Premium BB Pommern, sink 7 ships. (RED KM BOX)
  • Do a total of 1 million damage to ships. (RED KM BOX)
  • IN ONE RANDOM OR RANKED BATTLE, score 500 main battery hits.
  • IN ONE RANDOM OR RANKED BATTLE, score 200 secondary battery hits. 

My Strategy: I prefer to separate those tasks which are best done with specific ships in co-op from those which will happen regardless of what you play. Getting torps fired at you by enemy destroyers (preferably while killing them back) and hoovering up kills are potentially reckless and selfish things to do, and are best and most easily done in co-op with either a destroyer or a fast light cruiser.

While this is happening, the damage, commander XP (never less than ship XP) and credit accumulations will be happening in the background. Remember, too, that bot aircraft are relatively harmless, and that if you take a destroyer into co-op that has any half-decent AA at all, you are pretty much guaranteed plane kills if the bot CV goes after you (at very little risk to your own ship). The 100,000 commander XP will take a bit longer than the others to happen in co-op, but that can be left to complete on its own after you have unlocked Directive 3.  Of course if you have the Pommern, take that out and get your seven sinkings done early.

Get the plane and ship kills and torp spots out of the way in co-op, then unless you're a co-op main, go into Randoms for the rest. 

The in-one-battle tasks should be left alone, unless you have something like a Friesland or Harugumo (for main guns) or the Pommern for secondaries, and feel like going for it on principle. 

DIRECTIVE 3: Assumed to be any five of the following. See notes for Directive 1. Opens Monday 17 August.

• Get 400 ribbons of any kind.
  • Get 15 cap-related ribbons (capture, share capture, or defend).
  • Earn 3.5 million credits (before costs, etc).
  • EITHER score 50 fire, torpedo hit or citadel ribbons, OR in Erich Loewenhardt win 7 battles. (RED KM BOX)
  • EITHER make 120,000 ship XP OR, in Pommern, take 6.5 million potential damage (anything that lands on or within 700m of your hull). (RED KM BOX)
  • Take 30 million Potential Damage. (RED KM BOX) 
  • IN ONE RANDOM OR RANKED BATTLE, take 3.5 million potential damage.
  • IN ONE RANDOM OR RANKED BATTLE, deal out 190,000 damage to enemy ships.

My Strategy: TBA

DIRECTIVE 4: See above. Opens Monday 24 August, ends at close of server day Sunday 30 August/Monday 31. This one awards TWO yellow KM containers.

• Get 80,000 spotting damage (i.e. damage done to enemy ships which would be unseen except for your presence). 
  • Come in the top 5 in seven battles.
  • Earn 4.5 million credits before costs/penalties.
  • EITHER sink 30 ships OR, in Loewenhardt, get 300,000 damage. (RED KM BOX)
  • EITHER get 40,000 base experience OR, in Pommern, do 400,000 damage. (RED KM BOX)
  • Do 2.4 million damage to enemy ships.  (RED KM BOX)
  • IN ONE RANDOM OR RANKED BATTLE, get 2600 base XP.
  • IN ONE RANDOM OR RANKED BATTLE, get 10 citadel hits.

My Strategy: TBA. 

SIDE MISSIONS FOR RED CONTAINERS:

Each of these gives ONE red KM box for each phase, and two more for completion.

Each phase is sequential (you must do them in order rather than separately as for the directives).

Side missions A and B are identical, except for the ship validity.

ETA: This seems to vary quite markedly from player to player, and some users have reported receiving missions for ship lines they don't have. However, since the guaranteed content of the containers is flags and collection pieces, and since the collection pieces are available from daily containers for ship XP henceforth, inability to perform these missions merely slows completion of the collection rather than preventing  it.

THE A AND B MISSIONS ARE AS FOLLOWS:

1. Do 160,000 damage to enemy ships, THEN...
  2. Get 3500 base XP, THEN...
  3. Win three battles (including co-op), THEN...
  4. Sink 5 ships, THEN...
  5. Get 4000 base XP.

In my opinion, these tasks will finish themselves out without particular attention if you have the relevant ships and if you play a sufficiently broad mix of other ships. Because there are no specific requirements as to how the damage is to be done, no strategy guide is made for these tasks.

Side Mission C is for the two new German premiums, and yields a total of six German Red containers. It is not recommended to buy the ships to do these missions unless you planned to do so anyway.

1. In either Pommern or Loewenhardt or both, do 300,000 damage to enemy ships, THEN...
  2. In either Pom or Loew, sink 7 enemy ships, THEN...
  3. In POMMERN ONLY, earn 300,000 credits, THEN...
  4. In POMMERN ONLY, get 12 citadel hits.
Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Boring 3

[TDG]
Members
1,853 posts
13,940 battles

My side mission A is Russian, British, and Pan-Asian Destroyers.

And my side mission B was Carriers, but I do not remember if it is more specific than that.  I'll check when I get back in-game.

Edited by YeOldeTraveller

[WOLF5]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
3,046 posts
52,364 battles

Just a slight 'nitpick'

The yellow/gold boxes are Kriegsmarine containers.  These are the ones that have a chance of dropping a premium ship.

The red boxes are German Navy containers.  These will have the collection pieces.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,534 posts
18,537 battles
5 minutes ago, YeOldeTraveller said:

My side mission A is Russian, British, and Pan-Asian Destroyers.

And my side mission B was Carriers, but I do not remember if it is more specific than that.  I'll check when I get back in-game.

Odd. I'd vaguely heard they were different (in terms of ship requirements), but this seems to be the first hard indication, with specific details, that this is true. 

If others confirm this, I will update this section as appropriate.

I will be particularly interested to hear whether or not the chosen ships are invariably of a type and nation which the player possesses. 

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

Side mission chains A and B vary, they appear to be either random, or based on ships that the player DOES NOT have.  

For example, I have no CVs (motion sickness*), and I have no PA DDs... so I got the CV chain and the PA/RU/RN DD mission.  

So between side mission B requiring CVs, and side mission C requiring the Pommern, I'm cut off from 13 of the collection-drop containers. 

* BTW, to anyone who is getting sick of me mentioning motion sickness every time I say I don't play the new CVs, sorry, but I know if I don't mention that every time, there will be trolling helpful posts telling me that it's my fault and my choice to not play CVs.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

[ARGSY]
Members
24,534 posts
18,537 battles
2 minutes ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Side mission chains A and B vary, they appear to be either random, or based on ships that the player DOES NOT have.  

For example, I have no CVs (motion sickness), and I have no PA DDs... so I got the CV chain and the PA/RU/RN DD mission.  

So between side mission B requiring CVs, and side mission C requiring the Pommern, I'm cut off from 13 of the collection-drop containers. 

Thanks for the info. I have all ship classes and lines to at least Tier 6, so the algorithm literally can't give me something I don't have. 

The collection is a subscription collection, though, so you won't miss out. I got one piece in a More Resources container last night. 

[RLGN]
Members
16,245 posts
28,139 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Score 40 Citadels and/or torpedo hits.

3am, finished 4/5, ehh... one more Co-op game to start the citadels...

df7uIW.jpg

Don't know if RNG blessed me or cursed me...

[ARGSY]
Members
24,534 posts
18,537 battles
1 minute ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

3am, finished 4/5, ehh... one more Co-op game to start the citadels...

I overwhelmingly went for torpedo hits. I threw just about every carrier I had at that, including the Weser. It's sort of perverse fun watching 1933-vintage Luftwaffe dive bombers getting munched up by a Baltimore.

[BEA5T]
Members
5,309 posts
24,204 battles
8 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I overwhelmingly went for torpedo hits. I threw just about every carrier I had at that, including the Weser. It's sort of perverse fun watching 1933-vintage Luftwaffe dive bombers getting munched up by a Baltimore.

I bought the POM for coal and went that route..........  The entire thing was finished yesterday.  All in COOP.  Only tier IX and X ships with 19 point CPT's and less than 30 games....  No carriers (don't play them...)  As a certified Grand National Super Spud Potato, this was an easy adventure.  I had two back to back 14 torpedo hit games in the Benham and the Shimmy.....that kind of day.   The POM was really performing in COOP.  Will suck air in randoms though.  With a 19 point Secondary build CPT in her............ Produces well in COOP.

Good effort and thanks for the "gameplay outlines !"  It's amazing what I miss.......:cap_like:

forgot.  I took a screen shot of a good POM match:

shot-20_08.05_15_49.05-0822.thumb.jpg.66c3339580e11d866f993fca0632c99d.jpg

I had one bad game in her.   The rest looked a lot like this sample.

Edited by Asym_KS

[RLGN]
Members
16,245 posts
28,139 battles
36 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Didn’t realize initially that torp hits counted. Was just flinging out torps trying to keep the bots away... :fish_nerv:

...seeing I had 9 hits was a surprise. :cap_fainting:

(Launched at a DD, and blew up a Moskva I’d completely forgotten about.)

Edited by Estimated_Prophet

[DOG]
Members
814 posts
14,386 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Side mission A for me is the same as previously mentioned (but I have Russian, Pan Asian, and British DDs.

Side mission B for me are US, IJN, British, or German CVs. I don't play (and have never played CVs). I have been awarded some CVs from missions/loot boxes which were sold (TY WG for the credits and the port slots!) as soon as the game client allowed me to sell them.

1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

* BTW, to anyone who is getting sick of me mentioning motion sickness every time I say I don't play the new CVs, sorry, but I know if I don't mention that every time, there will be trolling helpful posts telling me that it's my fault and my choice to not play CVs.

My thoughts exactly - have no interested in playing them and would just as soon see them removed from the game (or put into a game mode or an opt in/out preference where you can have CVs in battles if you want them).

Side mission C was for specific ship Pommern or new premium CV Lowenhardt.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
2 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

Side mission A for me is the same as previously mentioned (but I have Russian, Pan Asian, and British DDs.

Side mission B for me are US, IJN, British, or German CVs. I don't play (and have never played CVs). I have been awarded some CVs from missions/loot boxes which were sold (TY WG for the credits and the port slots!) as soon as the game client allowed me to sell them.

My thoughts exactly - have no interested in playing them and would just as soon see them removed from the game (or put into a game mode or an opt in/out preference where you can have CVs in battles if you want them).

Side mission C was for specific ship Pommern or new premium CV Lowenhardt.

Everyone is getting that mission for C.  

You received the same missions for A and B that I received.  

I don't hate CVs for being in the game, or think they need to go entirely.  I think the AA system is deeply flawed and needs a lot of work, and I can't play CVs because they literally cause motion sickness, that's not hyperbole or snark.  

[USN]
Members
1,646 posts
21,167 battles

My side mission A requires US, and I believe German and British BBs.

My side mission B is for everything but BBs. Seems odd that people got different things, whether this was by design or a whoospie, and knowing WG, either is possible

[ARGSY]
Members
24,534 posts
18,537 battles
1 minute ago, tfcas119 said:

Seems odd that people got different things, whether this was by design or a whoospie

@Hapa_Fodder, can you please check whether this is a feature or a bug? I accept that the Pommern/Loewenhardt mission is what it is, for obvious reasons, but giving people randomly assigned missions in ship types they don't have (and in some cases can't play for medical reasons) isn't the most sensible thing to do. 

[DOG]
Members
814 posts
14,386 battles
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

@Hapa_Fodder, can you please check whether this is a feature or a bug? I accept that the Pommern/Loewenhardt mission is what it is, for obvious reasons, but giving people randomly assigned missions in ship types they don't have (and in some cases can't play for medical reasons) isn't the most sensible thing to do. 

Well, I suspect its a marketing thing - get more people to play CVs and/or buy their premium ships. There's always missions in the directives which are CV specific.  This one is a little worse since it's a whole side branch for CVs (in my opinion). Side mission C is just a bonus for those who pull the purchase trigger (which we've seen before, but probably not to this level?)

[WOLFG]
Members
12,719 posts
11,838 battles

I feel I should break rule 7 simply because it exists.

For directive 1 mission 2, and fast firing secondary spec'd ship will suffice. (just to be constructive).

[ARGSY]
Members
24,534 posts
18,537 battles
15 minutes ago, dashtardly said:

Side mission C is just a bonus for those who pull the purchase trigger

To be fair to WG, the one ship that can complete the entirety of Side Mission C unassisted is available for coal, and if you have enough of that then you don't have to spend any money. 

[V1-PI]
Members
442 posts
10,360 battles

my plan is to play my 4 games a day and if i finish a task great. if not well i'm not moved by the rewards anyway so i see no need to push or grind. 

[X-M-S]
Members
268 posts
4,265 battles

From memory (I'll verify after I get home from work later tonight):  Verified

My side mission A is Russian or Royal Navy Cruisers or Battleships (I have a Russian cruiser over T5 and RN cruiser and battleship at T4).

Mission B is French or Italian Cruisers or Battleships (I don't have any of these but started Italian line last night. An occasional game with them ought to get me to tier 5 in time, depending on how much I do that).

I only have 5 lines (6 counting premiums - Texas) at tier 5 or higher.

Edited by Bomont

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
5 minutes ago, gregoperations2 said:

Great guide. Helped in the first set of directives. One question, where can I locate the side missions you are talking about

Look directly below the Directive missions.

The three here that say "Complete 5 missions".

shot-20_08.05_20_22.54-0829.thumb.jpg.52f5e9fe650c95d6d1a4cfa505cf5782.jpg

Members
8 posts
2,548 battles

Found them. I see what you are all talking about:

1st mission - British and Russian- good to go for me

2nd mission- Italian and French- don't have any

3rd mission - Pommern and E. Lowenhardt- Dont have either one

So 2 missions are out of reach

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
2 minutes ago, gregoperations2 said:

Found them. I see what you are all talking about:

1st mission - British and Russian- good to go for me

2nd mission- Italian and French- don't have any

3rd mission - Pommern and E. Lowenhardt- Dont have either one

So 2 missions are out of reach

Are those the full limits on missions 1 and 2?