You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Avenge_December_7

How To Have A Greater Impact In Battle W/ Massachusetts?

27 comments in this topic

[STW-N]
Members
4,213 posts
10,269 battles

After finishing the Vladivostok grind, I've switched to Massachusetts. Unfortunately I do not have a specific Mass. captain so I used my standard tank build Montana captain (so no aft, msc, etc.) The only way I can respec is with doubloons (which are precious few). My upgrades are main armament mod 1, secondary battery mod 1, damage control mod 1, steering gears mod 1, and concealment system mod 1.

Unfortunately, so far I've noticed the following patterns:

• BBs generally end up just bow-tanking or angling each other with little movement, and Mass. AP simply doesn't seem to do the trick against the likes of bow-on Lenins or other angled Massachusetts. One recent battle I attempted to rush and drive-by an isolated Lenin, but to my surprise his reverse speed was fast enough that it took me almost a full minute to close 7 km and he managed to chunk off quite a bit of hp b/c his reverse speed gave him the time to turn his turrets around and prepare for the drive-by. And I don't expect such tactics to work rank 5 and above (where I was yesterday). HE appears to be more effective yet a) I hate HE spamming with battleships and b) Mass. is not the type of BB to be able to win an HE spamming duel with another BB.
  • My positioning in Massachusetts seems faulty. I've tried to use Mass. to set up crossfires like I did with Vladivostok but she seems more suited for closer ranges and the above issue still comes into play at medium-long range. Yet to close to closer ranges ranges is typically suicide via focused fire. Where am I supposed to position as Mass.? In the center? On the outer flanks of a cap? Inside a cap? Around an island?
  • I seem incapable of kiting effectively, bow-tanking, or pushing without quite a bit of support. Don't get me wrong, I know Mass. is capable of such things (well, except maybe the last one) but I cannot seem to manage it. To use all 3 turrets seems to result in BBs chunking me for 7-8k damage at a time while I ineffectually return fire; to do the second is to invite HE spam and a grueling bow-on BB duel; and even pushing seems impossible to do without heavy damage or people obligingly showing broadside for no discernible reason. At least Vladivostok has much better accuracy and tankiness when angled or bow-on.
  • I seem overly dependent on the destroyers in my team. Probably due to the last 2 points, every time I enter a battle in a battleship it seems I am completely dependent upon the destroyers in my team. If they manage to overcome the enemy dd's, then victory is usually assured, but if the enemy destroyers win then usually I'm reduced to kiting away and fearfully wondering if HE will start raining from a smokescreen or torpedoes suddenly appear on my broadside. There have been a couple of battles now where it's down to 2+ destroyers on the enemy team and 1-2 cruisers and/or battleships on my team and so far the destroyers seem to win more often than not. Even switching to HE doesn't appear to help much.

Apologies if my tone sounds too much like a complaint, but I am frustrated by my ineffectiveness in Massachusetts, especially considering she is among the best, if not the best, battleships of tier 8, and I wish to know how to turn my so far atrocious performance in Mass. around. What tactics should a Mass. use in ranked (and randoms, for that matter)?

[BB35]
Members
559 posts
4,883 battles

The Mass makes her name as a secondary build ship.

• Boring 1

[HINON]
Members
14,206 posts

In that head on duel, try to break his turrets with AP so when you do get to the drive by he has less stuff to shoot you with.

[IJAG]
Members
330 posts
18,154 battles

Massachusetts is a fun ship.

Spoiler

I guess the people who down voted are jealous and don't know how to play her.

Edited by USAPatriotGamer
  • Cool 1
  • Meh 2

[FFG30]
Members
49 posts
10,115 battles

I used the Mass in Ranked I used it more in support, taking chunks out when I got the opportunity. I kept DD at bay if they get within 11km they got hurt. You have o be patient in the girl she is a lot of fun.

[G-4W]
[G-4W]
Members
7 posts
10,092 battles

In my opinion I find Mass to be a good mid range ship that functions best when accompanied by another ship. I am a Coop main and only play her outside of Coop in Ranked. I also prefer to brawl and focus on caps. That being said I would suggest you spend some time in Coop and develop a little different playstyle with her that will translate into random play.

• Cool 1

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
38,995 battles
1 hour ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

After finishing the Vladivostok grind, I've switched to Massachusetts. Unfortunately I do not have a specific Mass. captain so I used my standard tank build Montana captain (so no aft, msc, etc.) The only way I can respec is with doubloons (which are precious few). My upgrades are main armament mod 1, secondary battery mod 1, damage control mod 1, steering gears mod 1, and concealment system mod 1.

• BBs generally end up just bow-tanking or angling each other with little movement, and Mass. AP simply doesn't seem to do the trick against the likes of bow-on Lenins or other angled Massachusetts. One recent battle I attempted to rush and drive-by an isolated Lenin, but to my surprise his reverse speed was fast enough that it took me almost a full minute to close 7 km and he managed to chunk off quite a bit of hp b/c his reverse speed gave him the time to turn his turrets around and prepare for the drive-by. And I don't expect such tactics to work rank 5 and above (where I was yesterday). HE appears to be more effective yet a) I hate HE spamming with battleships and b) Mass. is not the type of BB to be able to win an HE spamming duel with another BB.
  • My positioning in Massachusetts seems faulty. I've tried to use Mass. to set up crossfires like I did with Vladivostok but she seems more suited for closer ranges and the above issue still comes into play at medium-long range. Yet to close to closer ranges ranges is typically suicide via focused fire. Where am I supposed to position as Mass.? In the center? On the outer flanks of a cap? Inside a cap? Around an island?
  • I seem incapable of kiting effectively, bow-tanking, or pushing without quite a bit of support. Don't get me wrong, I know Mass. is capable of such things (well, except maybe the last one) but I cannot seem to manage it. To use all 3 turrets seems to result in BBs chunking me for 7-8k damage at a time while I ineffectually return fire; to do the second is to invite HE spam and a grueling bow-on BB duel; and even pushing seems impossible to do without heavy damage or people obligingly showing broadside for no discernible reason. At least Vladivostok has much better accuracy and tankiness when angled or bow-on.
  • I seem overly dependent on the destroyers in my team. Probably due to the last 2 points, every time I enter a battle in a battleship it seems I am completely dependent upon the destroyers in my team. If they manage to overcome the enemy dd's, then victory is usually assured, but if the enemy destroyers win then usually I'm reduced to kiting away and fearfully wondering if HE will start raining from a smokescreen or torpedoes suddenly appear on my broadside. There have been a couple of battles now where it's down to 2+ destroyers on the enemy team and 1-2 cruisers and/or battleships on my team and so far the destroyers seem to win more often than not. Even switching to HE doesn't appear to help much.

Apologies if my tone sounds too much like a complaint, but I am frustrated by my ineffectiveness in Massachusetts, especially considering she is among the best, if not the best, battleships of tier 8, and I wish to know how to turn my so far atrocious performance in Mass. around. What tactics should a Mass. use in ranked (and randoms, for that matter)?

Interesting analysis. You should practice kiting more in Randoms, pushing up towards a cap, turning, and then slowly driving away. You just have to get in that rhythm where they shoot and you turn out a little and make them miss. Kiting is hugely effective, by making BBs miss you, you can ignore them and focus on putting down pesky cruisers.

My advice is never bow tank. Just don't. Maybe for a brief moment, but then you attract HE spam and torps. Keep the BB moving. When you move toward the cap, note the islands and then plot your escape route behind them. Make sure you always have an island to turn off behind. Use them to shield you while you turn off, then turn back, bring your turrets around and return to the front, having healed and put out fires.

You should be play Mass with a full secondary build. 

Put secondaries on DDs as soon as they are spotted -- click CTRL-MOUSE even if they are out of range. If the DD pops up in range while detected, you won't have to spare attention to shift your secondaries. Ditto when you enter a cap to brawl with BBs -- target the BB with secondaries BEFORE it comes into range so you don't have to think about that later.

Ripple fire turrets in three slightly different places when shooting at a ship, especially a cruiser. Go to coop and watch how the bots do it. Remember to lead faraway cruisers a little more than you think you should. 

• Cool 3

[STW-N]
Members
4,213 posts
10,269 battles
1 hour ago, Taichunger said:

Interesting analysis. You should practice kiting more in Randoms, pushing up towards a cap, turning, and then slowly driving away. You just have to get in that rhythm where they shoot and you turn out a little and make them miss. Kiting is hugely effective, by making BBs miss you, you can ignore them and focus on putting down pesky cruisers.

I'm well aware of that, and I think I did rather well when it came to kiting with Vladivostok. Currently I think it may be a question of balancing angling with unmasking the forward guns to fire.

My advice is never bow tank. Just don't. Maybe for a brief moment, but then you attract HE spam and torps. Keep the BB moving. When you move toward the cap, note the islands and then plot your escape route behind them. Make sure you always have an island to turn off behind. Use them to shield you while you turn off, then turn back, bring your turrets around and return to the front, having healed and put out fires.

My usual rule is to only repair when there are 2+ fires/floods going on. Is it better to put out those multiple fires/floods as soon as they spawn, even if still under fire, or is it better to wait until the enemy is no longer firing upon me to repair even if it means the fires/floods do more damage?

You should be play Mass with a full secondary build. 

My only option here is to respec my Montana captain (my specialized Mass. captain only has 12 points on him), but that will cost 500 doubloons to respec and another 500 for when I return him to a tank build. Do you recommend spending the doubloons (I've no other means of respeccing)? Also, what captain skills and upgrades do you suggest?

2 hours ago, Taichunger said:

Put secondaries on DDs as soon as they are spotted -- click CTRL-MOUSE even if they are out of range. If the DD pops up in range while detected, you won't have to spare attention to shift your secondaries. Ditto when you enter a cap to brawl with BBs -- target the BB with secondaries BEFORE it comes into range so you don't have to think about that later.

Admittedly I do have a problem with this, so I'll be sure to do that.

Ripple fire turrets in three slightly different places when shooting at a ship, especially a cruiser. Go to coop and watch how the bots do it. Remember to lead faraway cruisers a little more than you think you should. 

It does seem Mass. has slower shells than Vladivostok. In any case, I have recently started ripple-firing in response to cheeky cruisers that wait for me to fire before turning away. It does seem to work usually, assuming Mass's dispersion is obliging.

What do you recommend as Mass's overall style? Is she a ship that outflanks the enemy and pounds their broadsides? Kiting away and hosing down the enemy with secondaries? Uses islands to close in to brawl? Should I go towards the center of the map or the flanks?

[CHBK]
Members
1,042 posts
3,970 battles

I've largely been garbage in it lately.  I had a unicum PR in it 100 games in and dropped to "very good" in the next 80 or so.  I don't know if I unconsciously changed how I play it, but I'm so hit or miss in it now (mind you I took a hiatus from the game for like 6 months starting last summer).  Maybe my abilities went to hell over the break.

[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,907 posts
10,311 battles
4 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Yeah, Mass truly shines with a 19pt captain. Or at least a 15pt one, so you can have both ManSec and AFT.

My stats after 145 battles. Note the number of ships destroyed by secondaries (almost one in three!) :cap_rambo:

pS5FwcA.png

Some general best practices:

• Make it a secondary spec ship; otherwise  you should've bought an Alabama. My skills: PT, EL (I have Halsey), AR, SI, AFT, ManSec, CE.
    • Why SI: your repair party cooldown is ridiculously short, you can literally go through all five charges in five and a half minutes flat. I often find myself needing that fifth heal, and winning battles because of it.
  • Your ideal engagement distance is mid-range to close range. If you often find yourself shooting at stuff 15 km or more away, you're not playing the ship right.
    • Corollary to the point above: pick a fighter in favor of a spotter plane, you don't need the range. Your AA is good, but not good enough to prevent double pass from TBs from anyone but T6 carriers.
  • Don't be afraid to duke it out with DDs. Your secondaries will absolutely wreck them, and your turning rate and radius will allow you to comb torpedoes quite effectively.
  • If you're top tier, be a huge bully and push. You hold all the cards.
  • In the upgrade slot #1 get either the mod that increases secondary HP, or the special one that increases DCP invulnerability duration
  • When faced with focus fire, don't forget to abuse your 13km concealment. Blinking in and out between salvos and husbanding your HP will help you hold your own when bottom tier.

For giggles, here is my Mass game with 8 kills (thumbnail is potato quality for whatever reason, but the video should be good): :

• Cool 2

[-K-]
7,907 posts
10,311 battles

My advice is never bow tank. Just don't.

Maybe for a brief moment, but then you attract HE spam and torps

Put secondaries on DDs as soon as they are spotted -- click CTRL-MOUSE even if they are out of range. If the DD pops up in range while detected, you won't have to spare attention to shift your secondaries.

Ripple fire turrets in three slightly different places when shooting at a ship

I disagree. Mass is really good in this role if the tactical situation is right. The only addendum I'd make is: don't bow tank straight down the middle, be at ~25 degree angle, so that you still bounce stuff, but your secondaries are unmasked.

HE spam is fine if there is not too much of it, that's where Mass heal and DCP mod I mentioned come into play. And of course you should be cognizant of the possibility of being torped - but even in reverse or in 1/4 speed forward, you can comb quite effectively.

Yes, constant awareness and management of secondaries is a must, that's obvious for any ManSec ship. Generally, DD > CL > CA > BB. Prioritize cruisers that you can pen (T6-T7, RN CLs, etc).

Not always, but if they're evading -- yes. This is applicable to all BBs, not just Mass.

[STW-N]
Members
4,213 posts
10,269 battles

@vak_ @Taichunger Both of your posts are very helpful, thank you.

It seems I have some upgrade respeccing and overall changes in tactics to implement.

But is it worth, in your opinions, spending 500 doubloons to turn my Montana captain into a Mass. captain for the duration of the ranked season?

• Cool 1

[-K-]
7,907 posts
10,311 battles
53 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

My only option here is to respec my Montana captain (my specialized Mass. captain only has 12 points on him), but that will cost 500 doubloons to respec and another 500 for when I return him to a tank build. Do you recommend spending the doubloons (I've no other means of respeccing)?

Don't do this. You need a dedicated Mass captain, no other USN ship needs a ManSec build (well, maybe Gerogia). Just bite the bullet and grind out the 12 point captain you have right now. Or sure, re-use the Montana captain, but don't keep spending doubloons to move him here and there.

53 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Also, what captain skills and upgrades do you suggest?

fZihQEJ.png

4ANvAWL.png

2 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

But is it worth, in your opinions, spending 500 doubloons to turn my Montana captain into a Mass. captain for the duration of the ranked season?

I mean, will you NEVER play Mass after this ranked season? :)

[STW-N]
Members
4,213 posts
10,269 battles
6 minutes ago, vak_ said:

Don't do this. You need a dedicated Mass captain, no other USN ship needs a ManSec build (well, maybe Gerogia). Just bite the bullet and grind out the 12 point captain you have right now. Or sure, re-use the Montana captain, but don't keep spending doubloons to move him here and there.

Noted. It will be a tad irritating without fire prevention or concealment expert though :Smile_sad:.

With regards to the upgrades, I don't think I have a damcon mod for slot 1, so I'll go for secondaries. Also, is rudder shift worse than damcon mod 2, or is it a matter of personal preference?

With regards to the captain skills, I have the following questions:

• Does the setup change if I don't have Halsey or whoever this special captain is?
  • Concealment or fire prevention? I've heard conflicting advice regarding this. 13 km concealment is tempting but so is the possibility of eliminating the chance of 2 superstructure fires.
  • Expert loader or preventative maintenance (or something else) if I don't have a special USN captain?

Beta Testers
271 posts
9,695 battles

Where Mass really excels is mid-game.  Conserve health (doesn't mean hiding) while using your guns at the longer end of their range.  Once you reach mid-game and you have a good amount of health and heals saved up, you push into weakened enemies.  If done right, you can handle up to 3 at once this way.  Secondaries on one, main guns on another, keep your angle.  You'll blow through some health, but you may well kill all 3.  That's the bully aspect that Mass can provide.

What it doesn't do well is play like a NC where you just fire from long range.  Or like the Vlad you were playing, where you can bow tank and bounce shells all day long.  And to really dominate, it does need a secondary-built 19 point captain.  So it's going to take you some time to get to that.  But if you conserve early (again, this doesn't mean hide behind an island, it means don't get overly aggressive and bleed a lot of health early), you can push and overwhelm in the mid-game.  

• Cool 1

[-K-]
7,907 posts
10,311 battles
15 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Noted. It will be a tad irritating without fire prevention or concealment expert though :Smile_sad:.

Yeah, but it's doable. When IFHE was better, I didn't even have CE on my Mass, and still don't have FP.

With regards to the upgrades, I don't think I have a damcon mod for slot 1, so I'll go for secondaries

That's fine. Honestly, at times I still want to put the secondary mod back, because you do lose quite a bit of secondaries from time to time (I've had games where all five turrets were gutted on one side).

rudder shift worse than damcon mod 2, or is it a matter of personal preference?

Yes, rudder shift is worse. Since you don't have FP and since you'll be playing up close, fire and flooding reductions are pretty good.

Does the setup change if I don't have Halsey or whoever this special captain is?

Concealment or fire prevention? I've heard conflicting advice regarding this. 13 km concealment is tempting but so is the possibility of eliminating the chance of 2 superstructure fires.

Expert loader or preventative maintenance (or something else) if I don't have a special USN captain?

No, it doesn't. Honestly Halsey is not needed, I don't even use EL all that often - he just happened to be a free 19 point captain when I needed one. Plus, the fireworks when you get a confederate or a double kill are fun :)

CE, no questions. It makes the window between your spotting range and secondary range a mere 1.7 km, and also allows you to disengage more effectively. As you can see, my other parts of the build (two DCP mods and an extra repair party charge) negate that problem somewhat. I also run fire reduction flags (don't have enough room for flooding reduction one)

1IJIk33.png

I don't think PM is particularly good, because it doesn't affect secondaries. EL makes sense with Halsey (and even there I often forget about it) - you could also grab incoming fire alert, heck, maybe even the fighter skill (but I am not even sure how it works after the AA re-work, does it still launch two airplanes and deplete your fighter reserves by two?).

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention. Your secondary fire arcs are pretty high. This too can be abused at times, to fire at the enemies over terrain that otherwise blocks main caliber guns. So even if someone is kinda obstructed by the terrain, mark that person for secondaries, you never know.

[WOLFG]
Members
698 posts
14,856 battles
21 minutes ago, vak_ said:

no other USN ship needs a ManSec build (well, maybe Gerogia

I use the same 19pt captain in my Massachusetts, Georgia and Ohio. They all play about the same.

26 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

I wouldn't spend the doubloons to switch him over. Just not worth spending the doubloons in my opinion.

[STW-N]
Members
4,213 posts
10,269 battles
6 minutes ago, vak_ said:

CE, no questions. It makes the window between your spotting range and secondary range a mere 1.7 km, and also allows you to disengage more effectively. As you can see, my other parts of the build (two DCP mods and an extra repair party charge) negate that problem somewhat. I also run fire reduction flags (don't have enough room for flooding reduction one)

Hmm... does not having the damcon mod in slot 1 affect this? I'd imagine with Mass. being up close she's going to end up taking a lot of HE spam.

With regards to the flags, I think I'll exchange the fire chance flags for an anti-detonation flag and anti-flooding flag.

[-K-]
7,907 posts
10,311 battles
7 minutes ago, Colonel_Potter said:

I use the same 19pt captain in my Massachusetts, Georgia and Ohio. They all play about the same.

Right, there is also Ohio.

But I'm of the opinion that Mass is the best ManSec ship out of the trio, for its tier. Turning rate and the subsequent ability to dodge incoming shells and torpedoes makes or breaks a secondary ship. Having six forward-facing rifles instead of just four is also an important bonus in close quarter combat.

[-K-]
7,907 posts
10,311 battles
4 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

Hmm... does not having the damcon mod in slot 1 affect this? I'd imagine with Mass. being up close she's going to end up taking a lot of HE spam.

I mean, does it make Mass much worse? No. Will you at times wish your DCP invulnerability lasted 28 seconds instead of 20? Yes. Your choice, though.

4 minutes ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

With regards to the flags, I think I'll exchange the fire chance flags for an anti-detonation flag and anti-flooding flag.

Detonations aren't really a significant problem with Mass, in my experience. I'd strongly suggest fire reduction flags instead.

[STW-N]
Members
4,213 posts
10,269 battles
19 minutes ago, vak_ said:

I mean, does it make Mass much worse? No. Will you at times wish your DCP invulnerability lasted 28 seconds instead of 20? Yes. Your choice, though.

Detonations aren't really a significant problem with Mass, in my experience. I'd strongly suggest fire reduction flags instead.

Fair point, although like I said, I don’t have the damcom mod anyways.

Eh, I’d rather not risk it. And I was talking more about switching the flags boosting secondary fire chance for flood reduction and detonation. I already take the fire reduction flag, at any rate.

[WOLFG]
Members
698 posts
14,856 battles
2 hours ago, vak_ said:

Right, there is also Ohio.

But I'm of the opinion that Mass is the best ManSec ship out of the trio, for its tier. Turning rate and the subsequent ability to dodge incoming shells and torpedoes makes or breaks a secondary ship. Having six forward-facing rifles instead of just four is also an important bonus in close quarter combat.

It's fun when the Massachusetts is thrown in with tier 6, lol. But yeah, I can see how the Massachusetts is the best of the three for its tier. Use the angles right, hard to get penned in my experience. The AP is no slouch either, especially if someone goes broadside to you. Not hard to get multiple citadel hits when they do.

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
706 posts
16,209 battles
6 hours ago, Avenge_December_7 said:

1. Setup the ship with a secondary build with manual secondary Capt Skill. It's very useful against DDs and setting fire to larger ships.

2. Don't go it alone. Work with another BB.

3. I make it a habit to charge smoke screens, loading HE using the Expert Loader skill to halve the switch time. A DD or cruiser will have to respond and show themselves. Kiting away can give any advantage you may have over to the enemy, you react to them instead of them responding to you.

4. I use one of the DOE captains (Joe or John), who give you a boost in Expert Loader and Expert Marksman skills (faster shell-type switch and faster turret rotation).

5. Run a Ramming signal.

6. Use HE against bow on BBs. Angle properly to bring both forward turrets AND your secondaries onto the target. Don't worry about the rear target. You mentioned about getting into 7km range. Full secondary build reaches out to 11.3km range to touch someone.

I manage a 2.5 kill rate in Ranked.

Good luck.