You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
FairWindsFollowingSeas

Weser vs. E. Loewenhardt: The Secondary Showdown

5 comments in this topic

Members
51 posts
24,657 battles

I recently got Erich Loewenhardt and I've played a few games with it. So far it is a fun CV to play, I don't have enough battles with her to give an overall impression. At any rate, I was curious & decided to test E. Loewenhardt's secondaries vs. her tech-tree counterpart, the Weser. Both have 5 x 2 105mm guns, but E. Loewenhardt has additional 8 x 2 150's in the hull, 4 turrets on each side.

The test is as follows: both ships are taken into a training battle vs. a stationary Fuso bot. Both Weser & Loewenhardt have the secondary battery ship module, with a secondary signal mounted. I used my Graf Zeppelin captain, who has BFT, & AFT. Both ships secondaries reach 7.6 km fully spec'd. The carrier was approx. 7km away from the Fuso for each test & all secondary guns were able to fire on target. A timer was started when the secondaries began firing & stopped when the Fuso was sank.

Each test was repeated 3 times for both Weser & Loewenhardt (6 tests total), to get an average of three. Here are the results:

WESER vs. FUSO (Averages):

Secondary Battery:

Hits - 223.6

Shots fired - 1,037.3

Damage - 16,641.3

Fires: 4.3

Damage Caused by Fire: 40,458.6

Time to Sink: 5 min. 11.3 sec.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ERICH LOEWENHARDT vs. FUSO (Averages):

Secondary Battery:

Hits - 147.3

Shots fired - 1,082.6

Damage - 14,517.3

Fires: 4.6

Damage Caused by Fire: 42,582.6

Time to Sink: 4 min. 2.6 sec.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For every 4-5 shots fired by Weser, 1 would hit the target. (4.63)

For every 7-8 shots fired by E. Loewenhardt, 1 would hit the target. (7.35)

Based on the data & observations from the testing, E. Loewenhardt does not have the improved secondary dispersion & accuracy that Weser & the tech tree German CVs have. It seems to have standard secondary dispersion patterns, like other nation's CVs have. However, Loewenhardt was able to sink the Fuso quicker than Weser.

Weser relies on her 5 x 2 105's, which pen 26mm by default. Loewenhardt's additional 150's can pen 38mm of armor. Fuso's central deck armor is 36mm, while her bow, stern & side plating are all 26mm (not including her side casemate armor, which is 152mm). Weser could only pen Fuso's superstructure, side plating, bow & stern, whereas Loewenhardt's additional 150's could pen all that plus the deck armor.

So, in conclusion, E. Loewenhardt doesn't have the improved secondary dispersion the tech-tree German CVs get, but having the additional 150's makes up for the accuracy difference.

I believe this test would go a lot differently vs. a smaller cruiser or destroyer instead of a Fuso, Weser might win in those cases.

Any comments or questions are welcome!

- FairWindsFollowingSeas [NA]

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
1,159 posts
8,956 battles
14 minutes ago, FairWindsFollowingSeas said:

I recently got Erich Loewenhardt and I've played a few games with it. So far it is a fun CV to play, I don't have enough battles with her to give an overall impression. At any rate, I was curious & decided to test E. Loewenhardt's secondaries vs. her tech-tree counterpart, the Weser. Both have 5 x 2 105mm guns, but E. Loewenhardt has additional 8 x 2 150's in the hull, 4 turrets on each side.

The test is as follows: both ships are taken into a training battle vs. a stationary Fuso bot. Both Weser & Loewenhardt have the secondary battery ship module, with a secondary signal mounted. I used my Graf Zeppelin captain, who has BFT, & AFT. Both ships secondaries reach 7.6 km fully spec'd. The carrier was approx. 7km away from the Fuso for each test & all secondary guns were able to fire on target. A timer was started when the secondaries began firing & stopped when the Fuso was sank.

Each test was repeated 3 times for both Weser & Loewenhardt (6 tests total), to get an average of three. Here are the results:

WESER vs. FUSO (Averages):

Secondary Battery:

Hits - 223.6

Shots fired - 1,037.3

Damage - 16,641.3

Fires: 4.3

Damage Caused by Fire: 40,458.6

Time to Sink: 5 min. 11.3 sec.

ERICH LOEWENHARDT vs. FUSO (Averages):

Secondary Battery:

Hits - 147.3

Shots fired - 1,082.6

Damage - 14,517.3

Fires: 4.6

Damage Caused by Fire: 42,582.6

Time to Sink: 4 min. 2.6 sec.

For every 4-5 shots fired by Weser, 1 would hit the target. (4.63)

For every 7-8 shots fired by E. Loewenhardt, 1 would hit the target. (7.35)

Based on the data & observations from the testing, E. Loewenhardt does not have the improved secondary dispersion & accuracy that Weser & the tech tree German CVs have. It seems to have standard secondary dispersion patterns, like other nation's CVs have. However, Loewenhardt was able to sink the Fuso quicker than Weser.

Weser relies on her 5 x 2 105's, which pen 26mm by default. Loewenhardt's additional 150's can pen 38mm of armor. Fuso's central deck armor is 36mm, while her bow, stern & side plating are all 26mm (not including her side casemate armor, which is 152mm). Weser could only pen Fuso's superstructure, side plating, bow & stern, whereas Loewenhardt's additional 150's could pen all that plus the deck armor.

So, in conclusion, E. Loewenhardt doesn't have the improved secondary dispersion the tech-tree German CVs get, but having the additional 150's makes up for the accuracy difference.

I believe this test would go a lot differently vs. a smaller cruiser or destroyer instead of a Fuso, Weser might win in those cases.

Any comments or questions are welcome!

Yeah I really think secondary is against destroyers would make more real-world sense you know? Good job testing it though!

[WPORT]
Members
9,986 posts
14,444 battles
20 minutes ago, FairWindsFollowingSeas said:

<edited for brevity>

Thanks for sharing the review and verifying the hits-on-target percentages.

Erich Loewenhardt is not over-powered, in my limited (four games, so far) experience.  I'm hoping she'll be fun to play, though, once I've become more familiar with her characteristics.

Members
51 posts
24,657 battles
8 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

Yeah I really think secondary is against destroyers would make more real-world sense you know? Good job testing it though!

I honestly think Weser would do far better than Loewenhardt in a similar test with a Fubuki. The accuracy is key vs. DDs. Thanks!

[WPORT]
Members
9,986 posts
14,444 battles
12 minutes ago, Merc_R_Us said:

2 minutes ago, FairWindsFollowingSeas said:

I honestly think Weser would do far better than Loewenhardt in a similar test with a Fubuki. The accuracy is key vs. DDs. Thanks!

Only hits-on-target do damage.

In  order to get hits, one's guns must be able to aim at the target.  So the firing-arcs of the secondary battery suites must also be a consideration.