You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Potato_Smasher

Just Another Proposal: DKM H-43

8 comments in this topic

[PRVTR]
Members
1,139 posts
6,315 battles

Just Another Proposal: DKM H-43

H-class battleship proposals - Wikipedia

An actual H-Class battleship at Tier X, and this time, I’ve done it properly

Some nations have a claim to fame when it comes to their warships, whether it be most iconic, fastest, best armored, or best gunned. But sometimes, there are some who have a claim to fame that can be found amongst the lost documents of the design chiefs, the poor design chiefs whose naval genius and dreams never made it past the drawing board. Today, we have one such icon, reimagined (and done properly by me, for once ) for animation in World of Warships: the H-class battleships. More specifically, the gargantuan H-43, a 111,000 ton Krupp-armored, Rheinmetall armed German monster that would make even the mighty Kremlin, the stronkest of stronk Soviet Battleships, look like a rubber duck in a bathtub, and, with its massive 48.0 cm artillery lobbing off two rounds per minute, make any cruiser within it’s firing range go to instant brown alert the moment they see it.

For the sake of game balance,( i.e dumping all over the self-esteem of the Soviets, because why the hell not), the H-43 will appear in a fully modernised 1945 configuration, equipped with everything a high-tier German Battleship needs, plus a few more things that it wanted. Help, of course, will come from our ever-trustworthy Naval Historian Friend, Drachinifel, and our ever resourceful forumite, @Fr05ty

Armor

• Nominal Displacement: 111,000 Long Tons
  • Dimensions: 330m x 48m x 12m
  • HP Pool: 142,100 ( Yes, really )
  • Plating: 32mm
  • Main Belt Armor: 300mm
  • Mid-upper Belt Armor: 180mm
  • Upper Belt Armor: 150mm
  • Extended Belt Armor: 60-150mm ( 220mm over Propulsion Unit )
  • Deck armor: 32-60mm ( 80mm over magazine spaces )
  • Turtleback Slope Armor: 120mm @ 55*
  • Citadel Armor: 380mm / 45mm / 180mm ( Aft / Side / Roof )
  • Torpedo Belt: 38mm ( 32% Torpedo Reduction )
  • Turret Armor: 430mm / 350mm / 230mm ( Face, Side, Roof )
  • Barbette Armor: 406mm
  • Fire / Flood Duration: 70 / 50 seconds

One. Hundred. And. Forty. Two. Thousand. Hitpoints. 

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Forums, you may begin complaining now. Of course, that’s what a 111,000 ton displacement on Frosty’s formulas get’s you. That massive HP pool, combined with the typical H-Class armor profile, nets you a nearly indestructible German Behemoth that can tank for days and hold its own against pretty much anything that gets thrown at it. Of course, at 330m in length, it’s even larger than the mighty Groβer Kurfurst, which is currently the largest ship in the game at 313.4 meters in length. That also happens to make it exceedingly vulnerable to torpedo attacks, especially from the likes of specialized battleship-killers such as Asashio, which, incidentally, also makes the H-43 one of the few Battleships in the game that can survive a full 8-torp salvo from the Asashio’s monstrous deepwater torpedo racks ( the others being Kremlin and Yamato ), thanks to a fairly decent 32 percent torpedo reduction from it’s 38mm thick torpedo bulge. The ship also has an impressively thick 60mm deck, as well as a sloped turtleback armor layout and fairly tough turrets that are extremely difficult to disable thanks to the improved armor over other German Battleships. Of course, all of this comes at a major cost: EH-43 is exceedingly vulnerable to fires and floods, with 10 seconds added to both Fire and Flood recovery times, not to mention a gargantuan superstructure that makes the Kurfurst’s gigantic steel jenga-block assembly look like an overstuffed bookshelf, so there’s that. However, that’s the price you pay for extreme direct-damage resistance to basically anything that gets lobbed at you from range, not to mention the omnipresent threat of carrier-dropped ordnance.

Armaments

• Primary Armament Turrets: 4
  • Secondary Armament Turrets: 14
  • Torpedo Armament Mounts: 0

Primary Armament: 4 x 2 48.0cm L/48 SK C/40

• Layout: Balanced ( AB-XY )
  • Reload: 30 seconds
  • Range: 21.0km 
  • HE Shell: 480mm L/4.6 Pr. Spgr. Kz, 
  • 1,660 Kg, 5,700 Alpha Damage, 44% Fire Chance, 120mm HE Penetration, 800 m/s Velocity 
  • AP Shell: 480mm APC L/4.6 Psgr. Kz, 
  • 1,660 Kg, 17,700 Alpha Damage, 45*-60* Auto-Ricochet Angles, 6.5% Normalization, 0.033 second fuse timer, 910mm penetration @ 5km, 800 m/s Velocity
  • Dispersion: USN / British / German Battleship
  • Sigma: 1.8
  • Turret Traverse Speed: 5.0* / sec ( 36 seconds / 180* )
  • Firing Angles: 145* / 143* / 140* / 140* ( A / B / X / Y )

Secondary Armament Level 1: 6 x 2 150mm L/55 SK C/28

• Layout: Wing mount, Forward Stagger
  • Reload Time: 7.50 Seconds
  • Range: 8.5km Base
  • HE Shell: 150mm Spgr. L/4.6 Kz (m.Hb )
  • 1,700 Alpha Damage, 8.0% fire chance, 38mm HE penetration, 875 m/s Velocity
  • Sigma: 1.0
  • Accuracy: Standard

Secondary Armament Level 2: 8 x 2 105mm L/65 Dop. L. C/31

• Layout: Wing Mount, Balanced
  • Reload Time: 3.35 Seconds
  • Range: 8.5km base
  • HE Shell: 105mm Spgr. L/4.4 Kz (m.Hb )
  • 1,200 Alpha Damage, 5.0% Fire chance, 26mm HE Penetration, 900 m/s Velocity
  • Sigma: 1.0
  • Accuracy: Standard

Torpedo Armament: N/A

So, 19 inch guns, eh. Of course, the Shikishima already has one up on this ship, with 20 inch guns, but that’s for another debate. Of course, the real debate is between the various sources that disputed what the armaments of the ships were to have. One source stated that the H-41 design was to receive the 420mm L/48 guns, while the H-42 and 43 were to receive the theorized 480mm gun, while other sources state that H-41 and 42 were to receive the 420mm guns, while the H-43 was to receive the 480mm guns. Of course, that’s been settled on here, with the usage of the 480mm guns for the Eisenkanzler, but then there’s the matter of actually determining what the shell weight would look like. To do that, I took the known data values for the 420mm shell and scaled it up using Frosty’s advice, to obtain a shell weight of 1,660 kilograms. Then, I applied the typical German formulas for both HE and AP, to acquire a 5,700 / 17,700 Alpha rating for each shell respectively. The secondary armament largely copies the Friedrich der Groβe, but with a massively increased base range of 8.5 kilometers, though there is a significant lack of both DPM and penetration compared to the Kurfurst. There are other weaknesses, as well. For starters, in order for all the guns to be brought to bear effectively, the entire ship must rotate out and give a 45 degree broadside to it’s opponent, which could leave the ship’s rather thin main belt armor out for a nasty reprisal. Another issue is the somewhat lackluster firing range of just 21 kilometers. While this doesn’t seem like an issue, consider the fact that most battleships at Tier X ( with the exception of the Groβer Kurfurst and the Kremlin ), have a base firing range of over 21 kilometres. Adding to this is the fact that the gunnery parameters also mimic that of the Friedrich der Groβe, which gives the H-43 somewhat nasty tendency to shotgun at longer ranges. On the other hand, however, the 480mm gun caliber also means that there are almost no cruisers in the game which can be reasonably expected to bounce the AP shells, which can lead to catastrophic damage, should the 1.6 ton shells make contact. The gun penetration is also monstrous, rivaling the likes of Slava and Republique out to a range of around 15 kilometres, and even beating the Shikishima out for raw penetration capacity ( though the Japanese ship has a higher per-shell alpha damage ).  The turret traverse is also quite respectable for such a massive turret setup, at 36 seconds for a full 180 degree turn.

AA Defenses

Long Range AA Defense: 8 x 2 105mm L/65 Dop. L. C/31

• Range: 5.2km
  • Aura DPS: 154.0
  • Number of Flak: 6+1
  • Flak Damage: 1,470
  • Accuracy: 75%

Medium Range AA Defense Level 1: 6 x 2 55mm L/77 Gerat 58

• Range: 4.0km 
  • Aura DPS: 197.9 
  • Number of Flak: 0
  • Flak Damage: 0

Medium Range AA Defense Level 2: 18 x 2 Rhm. 3.7cm FlaK 37

• Range: 4.0km
  • Aura DPS: 335.5

Short Range AA Defense: 40 x 2 2.0cm L/65 C/38

• Range: 2.0km
  • Aura DPS: 400
  • Accuracy: 70%

Access to Fighter: No

Access to DFAA: No

The H-43’s AA Defense is somewhat historical in it’s layout, but with one notable exception: 10 of the 37mm AA gun mounts have been removed and replaced by 6 of the 57mm Gerat 58 AA guns, which would likely have been the most obvious  improvements to the AA Defenses, had the war gone on longer. The less obvious change is the fact that the 3.7cm Flak C/30 has been replaced by the FlaK 37 from Rheinmetall, in order to improve overall AA defense capabilities. However, the 105mm DP Artillery means that the maximum AA range is still quite short, at 5.2km, though the guns do throw out 7 puffs whenever anything gets too close. Otherwise, there is no access to Defensive AA Fire or even a Fighter Aircraft. The H-43 will have to rely solely on it’s AA Defenses in order to put up resistance against aircraft, with the 3.7cm and 5.5cm AA guns doing most of the work.

Maneuverability

Velocity Characteristics

• Top Speed: 28.8 knots 
  • Acceleration: 80 / 60 Acceleration / Deceleration
  • Turning Velocity: 21.5 knots

Rotational Characteristics

• Turning Radius: 1200 meters
  • Rudder Shift Time: 21.9 seconds
  • Rotation Speed: 2.8* / second

To put it bluntly, the H-43 handles horridly. With a 1200 meter turning radius and a massive speed loss during turning, this is not a ship you should take into massive island complexes, such as Northern Waters or Trap. In addition, the rudder shift is almost as long as the Montana’s rudder shift, and precludes you from making any quick course adjustments. Also, the speed is uncharacteristically low for a WWII German vessel, at just 28.8 knots. This, of course, is due to its massive displacement, despite the usage of a hybrid Diesel / Steam Turbine propulsion unit. Don’t expect to be in a hurry when moving across the map.

Concealment

Stock

• Surface Detection Radius: 18.9 kilometres
  • Aerial Detection Radius: 15.5 kilometres
  • Smoke Firing Penalty: 18.8 kilometres

Fully Upgraded w/ Camo

• Surface Detection Radius: 14.9 kilometres
  • Aerial Detection Radius: 12.1 kilometres
  • Assured Detection Radius: 2.0km

The H-43 has a massive detection radius to go along with its enormous size as well, with a nearly 19 kilometre stock surface detection radius, which is the same as the Fuso. There’s not much else to be said of it.

Build, Consumables and Legendary Module

Modules

• Auxiliary Armaments Modification 1
  • Damage Control System Modification 1
  • Secondary Battery Modification 2
  • Damage Control System Modification 2
  • Concealment Systems Modification 1
  • Auxiliary Armaments Modification 2 or Close Combat Systems Upgrade

Commander Skills

• Preventative Maintenance
  • Adrenaline Rush
  • Superintendent or Vigilance
  • Advanced Firing Training
  • Manual Fire Control For Secondary Armament
  • Basics of Survivability 
  • Jack of All Trades or Expert Marksman

Consumables ( Default )

• Slot 1: Damage Control Party ( 15 second action time, 80 second reset )
  • Slot 2: Repair Party ( 28 second action time, 0.5% HP / Sec, 80 second reset timer, 4 charges base )
  • Slot 3: Hydroacoustic Search ( 120 second action time, 4km / 6km action radius, 100 second reset, 3 charges base )

Legendary Module: Close Combat Systems Upgrade

Cost: 19,200 Research Points

• - 15% to Secondary Battery Reload 
  • + 25% Penetration to Secondary Battery HE shells
  • - 15% to dispersion of Secondary Battery Shells

The legendary module will seriously enhance the H-43’s short range fighting capabilities, to the point where most other warships will struggle to even come close to this warship to engage it. Yes, I understand that Smolensk and Colbert exist, but they face a dilemma. Either get assaulted by 13km range secondary guns, or get pounded into oblivion by high velocity 480mm artillery shells. Your choice, you toxic [ REDACTED ]

Marketing

I’m not going to make this ship for the Research Bureau or the Dockyard. Since the Shikishima is already on sale for Steel, I thought why not make this ship obtainable for 260,000 coal, as a sort of counterpart to the Shikishima, as seeing that we do not have one as of yet. H-43 will use the same camo scheme as the Grosser Kurfurst for it’s standard premium camo, as well as the Iron Cross camouflage that recently came out with 0.9.6.

Closing

Welp, that’s all I have for you folks today. Try not to take this far too seriously, as I was starting to get a bit triggered by the fact that I can’t damage Kremlins as of late, and decided to see how Russian Bias stacks up to the H-43 and my extremely short temperament. 

The next edition of the Weekly review comes this Friday as well.

-Shrayes

P.S: Get outta town, Russia. You're old news

Edited by Shrayes_Bhagavatula
  • Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,167 battles
26 minutes ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

*Visible Confusion*

You got to work with some good people on the proposal, and it looks like you came out with a good and fun product.

[PRVTR]
Members
1,139 posts
6,315 battles
Just now, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

You got to work with some good people on the proposal, and it looks like you came out with a good and fun product.

I really didn't work with anyone. I just sourced Drachinifel for the source materials on the H-class, and @Fr05ty just helped with the formulas, as he always does

-Shrayes

Members
456 posts
4,321 battles

I mean, it's a massive ship that I'd feel uncomfortable about having in the game because it warps more and more the limits that were established, but technically speaking, it all sounds and looks good. I honestly think that the way you've done it is a viable inclusion, so kudos!

• Cool 1

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,167 battles
22 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

I really didn't work with anyone. I just sourced Drachinifel for the source materials on the H-class, and @Fr05ty just helped with the formulas, as he always does

-Shrayes

Oh...I misread the post. Sorry!

Are the formulas documented somewhere? Or should I reach out to Fr05ty for help the next time I am in the mood?

[PRVTR]
Members
1,139 posts
6,315 battles
1 hour ago, Daniel_Allan_Clark said:

Oh...I misread the post. Sorry!

Are the formulas documented somewhere? Or should I reach out to Fr05ty for help the next time I am in the mood?

Reach out to @Fr05ty. He mailed me the formulas a while ago, but the only thing I have to go by now is a scrap of paper that's stuck to my wall.  

-Shrayes