You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
LouiseChauchat1335

The USS Lexington

11 comments in this topic

Members
17 posts

Seen the "Lady Lex" once from one of my simulators. This ship was heavy bombarded by Japanese and sunk by the Pacific. She was a aircraft carrier.

See the picture for details

I will be happy If you post sources from books to revive the Lady Lex in this game.

USS_Lexington.jpg

uss-lexington.jpg

Alpha Tester
1,606 posts
1,149 battles

Lexington (CV-2) has been confirmed to be in game. She was a classy lady, but she will be going into the battle with her 8" guns replaced with 5"/45 DP guns, which is better for anti-aircraft anyway. She and Saratoga never fired their 8" guns in the direction of an enemy anyway.

Alpha Tester
292 posts
1,368 battles

Lexington (CV-2) was sunk at the Battle of Coral Sea while fighting alongside Yorktown (CV-5). Lexington suffered heavy bomb damage from Japanese ariel attacks and was ordered to abandon ship, the Japanese lost a single light carrier in the fight. Coral Sea marked the first ever battle where surface forces never saw eachother. It also prevented the Japanese from invading Port Morsbey (spelling?)

Alpha Tester
3,187 posts
58 battles

I'd love for the original concept of the Lexington, as a Battlecruiser, to be in the tech tree somewhere in her original, unconverted glory.

Members
300 posts
35 battles

I've flown over the Coral Sea many times and I always wonder exactly where that graceful lady rests  :Smile_honoring:

Alpha Tester
5,710 posts
1,772 battles

View Postruckalucka, on 11 February 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

Lexington (CV-2) was sunk at the Battle of Coral Sea while fighting alongside Yorktown (CV-5). Lexington suffered heavy bomb damage from Japanese ariel attacks and was ordered to abandon ship, the Japanese lost a single light carrier in the fight. Coral Sea marked the first ever battle where surface forces never saw eachother. It also prevented the Japanese from invading Port Morsbey (spelling?)

[Port Moresby]
  • Cool 1

Alpha Tester
292 posts
1,368 battles

View PostCrag_r, on 11 February 2013 - 10:40 PM, said:

[Port Moresby]

Thank you  :Smile_veryhappy:

Alpha Tester
3,187 posts
58 battles

View Postbrian333, on 11 February 2013 - 09:58 PM, said:

That also is confirmed to be in game.

I thought maybe I'd seen that it was.  *happydance*

Alpha Tester
1,275 posts
172 battles

View Posttriptyx, on 12 February 2013 - 02:13 PM, said:

I thought maybe I'd seen that it was.  *happydance*

I wonder if we'll see the earlier seven funnel version at anytime or just the, much better looking, two funnel "final' version?

[N-F-H]
Beta Testers
309 posts
5,202 battles

View Postruckalucka, on 11 February 2013 - 06:25 PM, said:

She actually sunk because of damage control oversight. Japanese battle damage had been mitigated and she was being readied for continued combat operations. Someone had left a ventilation fan on where a gasoline leak was and it wasn't rated for explosive atmosphere (intrinsically safe), so .....boom.

The good part is that the cause was realized and pre battle operating instructions were changed to purge fuel lines with nitrogen. This saved the Yorktown, which was up and running after sustaining presumably fatal damage in the Midway battle. So quick was the damage control that the Japanese thought they were attacking a different aircraft carrier in a later attack.