You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
STINKWEED_

Pommern or Georgia for Coal?

26 comments in this topic

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,243 battles

I have enough coal for two tier 9 or 10 ships. I'm thinking about buying either the Pommern or Georgia.  I know a bit about Georgia but the info about Pommern seems to be all over the board. 

Is it worth getting or is Georgia the better choice since it will most likely be removed in the near future? 

Thoughts?

[KWF]
Members
6,359 posts
7,145 battles

Who knows? Most CCs jumped at Slava, leaving the far more accessible Pommern in the dark.

Players in the couple of battles I played (both with at least 4 Pommern total) commented negatively on his accuracy.

Would wait for some videos before considering anything, that said Georgia is a well established ship.

Edited by warheart1992

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

georgia is a reliable ship,wait for reviews about pommern.

• Cool 1

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,243 battles

What is the main difference between Slava and Pommern?  I'm not interested in re-grinding tech trees 

Edited by STINKWEED_

[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,350 battles

Would you consider FDR? If so, wait until her currency has been announced before you jump. 

I have Georgia and can attest to her being a fun and enjoyable ship. That being said, she's best owned in the context of having existing USN battleship captains and at least one with points somewhere in the teens (I put my Halsey on her the minute I had both).

I naturally do not yet have Pommern, and although she looks interesting, I am hesitant to get her with Odin, Bismarck, Scharnhorst and Gneisenau all already in my port. Too many other things (e.g. Flint, Neustrashimy when they eventually come back for coal; potentially FDR if that's what she's eventually offered for) are laying claim on that resource.

1 minute ago, STINKWEED_ said:

What is the main difference between Slava and Pommern?  I'm not interested in re-grinding tech trees 

Slava is designed for long-range sniping and has a glass jaw. Pommern is a short to mid range brawler. She gets Bismarck guns (with an extra gun per turret) on an FDG hull, keeps the hydro, and adds torpedoes, but she pays for it in Sigma (1.5) and main battery reload (33 sec without slot-six enhancements). 

It's like FDG and Tirpitz had a baby that got nursed and raised by a New Mexico...

• Cool 2

[HINON]
Members
8,978 posts
13,134 battles
11 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Slava is the virgin sniper BB while Pommern is the chad brawler is the most basic form of comparison between them

Edited by tcbaker777
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
8,491 posts
14,883 battles

Pommern is essentially a FDG with 380mm guns.  If you like FDG, then you'll likely enjoy Pommern.

Otherwise, Georgia is probably a better choice for you, and has a more unique playstyle than its tech tree counterpart.

[FORM]
Members
2,381 posts
13,542 battles
24 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I have enough coal for two tier 9 or 10 ships. I'm thinking about buying either the Pommern or Georgia.  I know a bit about Georgia but the info about Pommern seems to be all over the board. 

I'm sitting on coal and deciding which of those two to pickup. I'm waiting for the LWM review on the Pomm, and will pull the trigger from there. I'm seeing plenty of Pomms in matches, finishing high and low on the boards. So I'm suspecting she's going to be as expected - but til I find out just how severely the 1.5 sigma really impacts her, (based on LWM's pretty charts and such,) I'm holding onto my coal. 

[BUOY]
Members
1,326 posts
16,828 battles
40 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

Is it worth getting or is Georgia the better choice since it will most likely be removed in the near future? 

Thoughts?

If getting a ship before it's gone is important, get the Georgia since she's been the only T9 coal BB for months now. She might very well be the better ship regardless since with Pommern's sigma you very well might be landing as many hits per salvo as the Paper Peach except you've got 10 seconds of reload and -3" diameter.

edit: You should also consider holding off until you max out any KM crates since you might get lucky.

Edited by lloyd1701

[UNHLY]
Members
5,030 posts
14,137 battles

Georgia is definitely a great ship and lots of fun to play. I haven’t seen any reviews yet of Pommern in release form, but the sigma nerf seems to have made it more painful to play. 

Unless you really want one over the other (trainer, to fulfil mission requirements, etc), I’d say go for Georgia first. It’s older, quite popular, pretty strong stats wise, and now that Pommern is here likely on the short list for removal. Plus there are other ways to get Pommern this patch without spending coal (however slim those chances are with only five free kreigsmarine crates). 

[USN]
Members
1,626 posts
21,086 battles
44 minutes ago, STINKWEED_ said:

I have enough coal for two tier 9 or 10 ships

Seeing you say can get two coal ships, why not both? Or get Georgia and Thunderer first, as they are probably too good for their tier and the two most likely ships to leave the armory next.

14 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

edit: You should also consider holding off until you max out any KM crates since you might get lucky

Also this, although anyone expecting a Pommern (or any ship other than Hipper) is probably new with how containers work 

[SOFOP]
Members
2,477 posts
15,285 battles

Did they mention anywhere what compensation you get if you buy Pom and then get it from a container?

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,243 battles
34 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Would you consider FDR? If so, wait until her currency has been announced before you jump. 

I have Georgia and can attest to her being a fun and enjoyable ship. That being said, she's best owned in the context of having existing USN battleship captains and at least one with points somewhere in the teens (I put my Halsey on her the minute I had both).

First of all thanks for the feedback!  It's very informative. 

I don't like playing CV (only played a couple of times in PTS ) so FDR wouldn't be a great choice unless it's very OP and worth playing. Also, I never liked FDG so Pommern is not looking promising

Edited by STINKWEED_

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,243 battles
4 minutes ago, tfcas119 said:

Seeing you say can get two coal ships, why not both? Or get Georgia and Thunderer first, as they are probably too good for their tier and the two most likely ships to leave the armory next.

Also this, although anyone expecting a Pommern (or any ship other than Hipper) is probably new with how containers work 

I already have Thunderer, JB, and Musashi (via coal) so when it comes to a coal BB it's really down to Georgia and Pommern

[-TKS-]
Members
3,354 posts
18,243 battles
2 hours ago, lloyd1701 said:

edit: You should also consider holding off until you max out any KM crates since you might get lucky.

The chances of winning a ship in the crate is 0.0001% but if I win one I'll eat my keyboard

[CAZA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
526 posts
6,878 battles

The answer starts with G and ends with eorgia.

Members
3,067 posts
2,546 battles
43 minutes ago, StoptheViolins said:

Yeah.. Georgia is pretty solid.

Based on the fun with the Odin and Agir I'd go with the Georgia.. the 305mm mix is not that much fun.

You mean 380mm

[KIA-C]
Members
3,815 posts
16,741 battles

Georgia is unique, fun but she's very OP

Pommern is basically Tirpitz big brother at T9 I guess ? Yeah no, if I had to spend 228k coal on a ship I'll definitely take Georgia