You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
exray0

Why is Slava no longer NDA, but Pommern still is? They're both available in 0.9.7

31 comments in this topic

Members
558 posts
5,048 battles

Title. 

If Pommern is coming this week, why can't we see some gameplay on it? 

• Cool 1

[GRETA]
Members
1,432 posts
10,883 battles

I agree, it is enticing for sure considering upcoming ranked spring is going to be 3v3.  Having strong secondaries, torps and hydro could make it a contender if it has decent health, armor and guns.  Definitely not dropping 250k coal on a ship that has not been previewed though.

Edited by HallaSnackbar

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

inb4 they sneak in another nerf on the ship just "for fun"

[WOLFG]
Members
12,665 posts
11,787 battles

Is this from CCS on the web?  Did they say the Pommern was unavailable?

If I was looking for looks, I'd certainly play the bogeyman first.

Members
558 posts
5,048 battles
4 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I heard directly from a CC yesterday that Pommern was still NDA. 

Today I see the Slava 0.9.7 news and it's being played on stream live as we speak. No Pommern though. 

[WOLFG]
Members
12,665 posts
11,787 battles
1 minute ago, exray0 said:

Today I see the Slava 0.9.7 news and it's being played on stream live as we speak. No Pommern though. 

Then maybe @Cruxdei is right.  They aren't done kicking her yet.

Edit: or they are staging releases to get each one some play time by CCs.

Edited by DrHolmes52

[ARGSY]
Members
24,477 posts
18,460 battles

Slava is such a problem child, the mythical Russian beast risen from hell to slay us all, that they probably want to get their vids on her out first. Pommern comes next, but quite frankly I see nothing wrong with cooling one's heels for a few days - or even longer - while we wait for the early live-gameplay as-released reviews to come out. 

[ARGSY]
Members
24,477 posts
18,460 battles
13 minutes ago, Patton5150 said:

$$ is the reason

A fool and his money are soon parted; the discerning customer grinds the coal while s/he awaits the reviews.

• Boring 1

[PVE]
Members
13,959 posts
29,482 battles
1 hour ago, Patton5150 said:

$$ is the reason

Yup, they don't want people to see how bad it is, and thus not spend $$$ on it/crates for it or Coal, after they nerf hammered it is my guess. Only reason, that makes any sense to me at least, to keep an NDA on a ship due out in less than 24Hrs is you have something you don't want potential customers to see.

Hope I am wrong and it turns out to be decent. I have so much Coal I will get it anyway as it will at the least be a T9 Premium which always gives good stuff in flake events. Them keeping a lid on it this late gives me great pause to spend real $$$ towards it vs using some of my Coal horde however. 

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,664 battles
2 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Yup, they don't want people to see how bad it is, and thus not spend $$$ on it/crates for it or Coal, after they nerf hammered it is my guess. Only reason, that makes any sense to me at least, to keep an NDA on a ship due out in less than 24Hrs is you have something you don't want potential customers to see.

Hope I am wrong and it turns out to be decent. I have so much Coal I will get it anyway as it will at the least be a T9 Premium which always gives good stuff in flake events. Them keeping a lid on it this late gives me great pause to spend real $$$ towards it vs using some of my Coal horde however. 

It's the classic Video Game Industry tactic. Got a game that's in a popular series but know it's going to be terrible? Review Embargo until two days after release and anyone doing a review on day of release gets shafted by the company in future by not being given review copies.

In this case WG know the Pommern isn't going to be well received so they've kept the NDA up until day of release...which means more people will buy it without waiting for reviews because they don't want to miss out incase it's 'OP' and removed from the shop quickly.

[ANZ4C]
Members
316 posts
8,243 battles
21 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

It's the classic Video Game Industry tactic. Got a game that's in a popular series but know it's going to be terrible? Review Embargo until two days after release and anyone doing a review on day of release gets shafted by the company in future by not being given review copies.

In this case WG know the Pommern isn't going to be well received so they've kept the NDA up until day of release...which means more people will buy it without waiting for reviews because they don't want to miss out incase it's 'OP' and removed from the shop quickly.

Lol, the tinfoil is real with this one 😂

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,664 battles
10 minutes ago, GetSchwifty01 said:

Erm...you DO know that is a widely known Games Industry tactic right, that isn't a tinfoil hat conspiracy...there are DOCUMENTED cases of games companies doing exactly that, review embargoing a game they know will get terrible reviews until after it has released. Seriously, go google it, watch some Jim Sterling, whatever.

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts
17 minutes ago, GetSchwifty01 said:

Regardless of whether it applies here specifically, it's a known tactic in the industry -- reviewers who give bad reviews or "violate" post-release delayed embargoes get their access privileges revoked by pubs/devs of those games.   There are reasons you rarely see video games with scores below 6 or 7 out of 10, or get warned away from bad games before day of release, and this is a big reason. 

• Cool 3

Beta Testers
1,038 posts
4,513 battles

Unlikely they're holding it for being bad. The Slava is garbage as implemented, has a reputation as extremely overpowered (when it was armored) and can potentially be sold for far more money vs. the in-game "free" route. Convert large amounts of Free XP, you can accelerate getting Slava. 

The reviews on Slava have not been good, for the reasons expected. It can only do one thing and has to hope it isn't opposite a ship that can do it back. Lots of "get Ohio for the same points" or "just get coal for Thunderer, better in all ways."

[SNGNS]
Members
611 posts
7,045 battles

like i can see how that maybe the case, but i highly doubt that pommern is going to be so bad that they need to review embargo it. its based on FDG which has one of the best armour schemes that i know of (even if that´s ruined a bit by the superstructure and turret angels) and from what i seen it should have similar health levels then FDG. and we know how the 15 inchers behave in ballistics. And yeah 1.5 sigma sucks but the whole package still looks fairly inviting.

its not going to be the next op ship but it should do just fine.

Edited by TobTorp

[TARK]
Members
7,331 posts
3,169 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

A fool and his money are soon parted; the discerning customer grinds the coal while s/he awaits the reviews.

Be careful with that line of reasoning. It isnt popular with certain authority figures around here.

• Boring 2

Beta Testers
615 posts

Its because its a German ship and WG doesn't like German ships to be good, let alone viable.

• Boring 1

[WOLF8]
Members
8,126 posts
6,782 battles
1 hour ago, Yandere_Roon said:

Erm...you DO know that is a widely known Games Industry tactic right, that isn't a tinfoil hat conspiracy...there are DOCUMENTED cases of games companies doing exactly that, review embargoing a game they know will get terrible reviews until after it has released. Seriously, go google it, watch some Jim Sterling, whatever.

Well said.

IIRC, the guys like Jim Sterling on YouTube once had a huge ruckus, in regards to something like what you described. Some video game companies simply cannot stomach even an ounce of criticism, lol. :Smile_smile:

As for the topic of this thread... I wonder who's the real one with a tinfoil hat now, lelelel. :Smile_trollface::Smile_smile:

[ANZ4C]
Members
316 posts
8,243 battles
2 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Regardless of whether it applies here specifically, it's a known tactic in the industry -- reviewers who give bad reviews or "violate" post-release delayed embargoes get their access privileges revoked by pubs/devs of those games.   There are reasons you rarely see video games with scores below 6 or 7 out of 10, or get warned away from bad games before day of release, and this is a big reason. 

Oh  I'm aware of that, it just doesn't apply here. The ships ststs are already public information, and judging by the fact Slava's NDA has only just lifted, Pommerns will be lifted before the patch drops. No conspiracy here.

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
5 hours ago, Cruxdei said:

inb4 they sneak in another nerf on the ship just "for fun"

Hopefully they will set back the last sigma.

5 hours ago, DrHolmes52 said:

I asked yesterday and she said she was not able to show me yet.

5 hours ago, exray0 said:

I have the same explanation yesterday and CCs today were playing Slava.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,477 posts
18,460 battles
17 hours ago, Yandere_Roon said:

I'm following one of those cluster clucks on YT as we speak. 

However, it's no secret that Pommern has had her sigma nerfed and nerfed. Thing is, once she's in players' hands, which she now can be...

image.thumb.png.64f9f32372745779effc171319298607.png

...there's no hiding what she is, whether that be good, bad or indifferent.

17 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

There is no way on God's earth I would ever spend real money on a ship I could get for coal, and IMHO nobody else should either, so I will await your opinion on this ship. I still remember what you thought about Smolensk in co-op on Day One, and I got her immediately the same day. Unless you have the same enthusiasm about this thing, she's at the bottom of my priority list. I need to keep mine in reserve for things returning and potentially things unannounced.

I will call your attention to one thing. A hoard is a collection of stuff, jealously guarded. A horde is a large group of individual living entities. Your typo has me imagining gazillions of tiny living lumps of coal with makeshift armour and medieval weapons marching into battle. :Smile_veryhappy:

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
17,387 battles
23 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Slava is such a problem child, the mythical Russian beast risen from hell to slay us all, that they probably want to get their vids on her out first. Pommern comes next, but quite frankly I see nothing wrong with cooling one's heels for a few days - or even longer - while we wait for the early live-gameplay as-released reviews to come out. 

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
4,432 posts
17,387 battles
On 8/4/2020 at 12:48 PM, exray0 said:

Title. 

If Pommern is coming this week, why can't we see some gameplay on it? 

:cap_cool:Pommern's  base price is $77.00  in the premium shop and 228 tons coal in the Armory,However since Lesco/WG/WoWs  is playing with details of well or bad she plays I went with my original plan and got Marceau and at least Marceau when specced out for it has good  AA:Smile_trollface:And if Pommern  is like other German ships these days she will notimage.png.39b58db38d088ece4066d62de94a878f.png

Edited by shadowsrmine

[ARGSY]
Members
24,477 posts
18,460 battles
52 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Oh, I know she's not what I paraphrased her as, but it was also a jab at how she's been regarded in previous incarnations and the fear of how OP she might turn out to be. It's not surprising that they're scrambling over themselves to demonstrate that Slava is not an unkillable monster. Meanwhile, Pommern is a safe bet to leave until later because by no stretch of the imagination is she an unkillable monster, and most misgivings people have about her being in the game are centred on her perceived LACK of capability, rather than overabundance of it.