Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Panzer1113

Gearing finally up to 50% win rate

7 comments in this topic

[RCNW3]
Members
1,962 posts
21,814 battles

There are OP ships, and there are sometimes ships you just enjoy playing.  For some unknown reason, I have always loved to play the Gearing.  It was the first tier 10 ship that I ever progressed to.  Back in the day when there was only the IJN, Russian and American DD lines, even then the Gearing was viewed as inferior to Shima or Knab.  It is the only ship I play just about every time I play WOW.  And with the power creep over the years, and the plethora of new strong tier 10 DDs out there, the explosion of Radar ships, the amount of CVs in the game, I still enjoy her.  I have almost every other good DD in the game, most of the OP ships, but I am always drawn to the Gearing.

Since she is not in any way OP, have tired to be impactful over the years, but at one point was hovering around 40% win rate in her - over the years have attempted to play to her strengths, and finally after 598 random games, have her at a 50% win rate - may seem like a trivial accomplishment but it is something that I have wanted to get to for a couple of years.

My wife always asks me why I have continued to play this stupid "pew, pew" game all these years.  I enjoy the variety of the game, the ability to play soooo many different ship, but at the end of the day, it is my favorite ships that always bring me back.  

shot-20.08.03_13.38.19-0917.jpg

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
4,735 posts
7,019 battles

looks like i need to play my midway more now.

[LOIN]
Supertester
854 posts
1 hour ago, Panzer1113 said:

There are OP ships, and there are sometimes ships you just enjoy playing.  For some unknown reason, I have always loved to play the Gearing.  It was the first tier 10 ship that I ever progressed to.  Back in the day when there was only the IJN, Russian and American DD lines, even then the Gearing was viewed as inferior to Shima or Knab.  It is the only ship I play just about every time I play WOW.  And with the power creep over the years, and the plethora of new strong tier 10 DDs out there, the explosion of Radar ships, the amount of CVs in the game, I still enjoy her.  I have almost every other good DD in the game, most of the OP ships, but I am always drawn to the Gearing.

Since she is not in any way OP, have tired to be impactful over the years, but at one point was hovering around 40% win rate in her - over the years have attempted to play to her strengths, and finally after 598 random games, have her at a 50% win rate - may seem like a trivial accomplishment but it is something that I have wanted to get to for a couple of years.

My wife always asks me why I have continued to play this stupid "pew, pew" game all these years.  I enjoy the variety of the game, the ability to play soooo many different ship, but at the end of the day, it is my favorite ships that always bring me back.  

shot-20.08.03_13.38.19-0917.jpg

you might've just jinxed it. WG will probably would like to know how nerf it

[KMS]
[KMS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,807 posts
12,807 battles

unknown.png?width=1008&height=567

Love my Shim, but if I do this consistently... um ya.

[RLGN]
Members
16,178 posts
28,072 battles

Not really that great in it I suppose, but Akizuki is a favorite because I earned my first 19 point captain in it.

Strike Bogue (0-2-1,) was the first carrier I learned to play. I loved trolling (2-1-0,) AS Bogue’s with it, and the MkII Strike Bogue (1-1-1,) was absolute perfection, especially in Co-op, where I played it constantly.

A year and a half after it was removed, it is STILL my most played single ship.

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
13,197 posts
2 hours ago, Panzer1113 said:

finally after 598 random games, have her at a 50% win rate - may seem like a trivial accomplishment but it is something that I have wanted to get to for a couple of years.

First, congratulations! It takes some perseverance to reach your goal. It is, to most of us, not a trivial thing. 

Which gets me looking back at my early "starter ships" I ground and ground and ground some more, trying to get better. I got lots of work ahead of me! 

So what's next for you? You got another ship you gonna get up to 50%? 

[RCNW3]
Members
1,962 posts
21,814 battles
15 hours ago, Herr_Reitz said:

First, congratulations! It takes some perseverance to reach your goal. It is, to most of us, not a trivial thing. 

Which gets me looking back at my early "starter ships" I ground and ground and ground some more, trying to get better. I got lots of work ahead of me! 

So what's next for you? You got another ship you gonna get up to 50%? 

That is a good question, one I have not really thought about while I have been working on the Gearing.

Not sure if I have a burning desire on the rest of my sub 50% win rate ships to work on improving their win rate.  Many of the ships below 50% are ships I really don't enjoy or suit my play style.  A good majority of the ships I have played 20 times or less.  That is something in this game, there are many opportunities to acquire ships, then you get them and they quickly become port queens.  Two ships that I do have over 200 games in that have around 40% win rates are the North Carolina and Colorado.  Played these ships at the beginning of my WOWs experience, and I was terrible, I was a lodestone to my teammates at that time.  I did reset the line a few months back, but did not enjoy playing either ship.  I guess the bottom line is that I only have so many games per day in me, and I would rather play ships that I love or enjoy then take a ship out that I really do not enjoy just to get the win rate up.

So, to answer your question, no I do not think I will be working on any other sub 50% ship to get it's winning percentage up.  Most of the ships are there for a reason, I don't enjoy playing them or they do not fit my playstyle. 

• Cool 1

Sign in to follow this