Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
Yandere_Roon

Can someone explain just HOW this happened?

7 comments in this topic

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,653 battles

Managed to Citadel a Bismarck in my Warspite, point blank range (was going for the ram). I'm including the replay so you guys can see it in action, watch from like the 10 minute left of the match mark.

I didn't think the Warspites 381mm guns could citadel a Bismarck at such range...

20200803_133412_PBSB002-Warspite-1941_23_Shards.wowsreplay

[WOLF5]
Supertester
5,088 posts
4,341 battles

It's not impossible, just improbable. I believe Bismark can be citadeled under the gun turrets at close range. It's not the gun caliber, it's the armor angle. And there's some weird spots in the scheme which can allow some wackiness at close and mid ranges.

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,766 posts
21,666 battles

Couldn't you have like included a screenshot or a description of what range and what angle? Makes things a lot easier and quicker. Anyways ... *downloads, watches*

*5 minutes later*

My guess is that you hit him right here:

gbmDfVF.jpg

Missing the 220mm casemate athwrarthship, the 180mm citadel athwarthship and because of the angle of shot missing the 120mm turtleback as well, with two shells out of a 4 shell salvo dispersing into the 45mm citadel bulkhead. Alternatively you were at such close range with a downward angle to your shots that you did hit the 120mm turtleback but because of the downward angle of your shells they didn't ricochet.

Either way, it was a combination of timing, angle and dispersion that got you those two cits. Very lucky.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,395 posts
18,351 battles

The only time I ever citadelled a Bismarck (and it was for the kill), was with a Vladivostok at extreme range. I'm guessing the shell went vertically down through the top of the turtleback. 

At point-blank, you MIGHT just have the angle and the penetration to do it. However, the German BBs do eat full-pen damage with remarkable alacrity, and I've messed some BBs up really badly with my Amagi and Ignis just by getting multiple (i.e. half a dozen) full pens on them between the deck and the turtleback.

[BEA5T]
Members
5,282 posts
23,920 battles
4 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The only time I ever citadelled a Bismarck (and it was for the kill), was with a Vladivostok at extreme range. I'm guessing the shell went vertically down through the top of the turtleback. 

At point-blank, you MIGHT just have the angle and the penetration to do it. However, the German BBs do eat full-pen damage with remarkable alacrity, and I've messed some BBs up really badly with my Amagi and Ignis just by getting multiple (i.e. half a dozen) full pens on them between the deck and the turtleback.

Or, without our knowledge, our host is relaxing hit box thresholds.......  Seen some weird stuff lately and I haven't broken out the tin foil hats yet but..........  some weird stuff in my Yamato of late.

[INTEL]
Members
13,459 posts
39,002 battles

At ~45 ,degree angle Bis, FdG, and GK can be cit under the A turret. I've done it to Bismarck and fdg in Randoms but GK only in training room, and only with 16" guns

Edited by Taichunger

[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,653 battles
42 minutes ago, Lert said:

Couldn't you have like included a screenshot or a description of what range and what angle? Makes things a lot easier and quicker. Anyways ... *downloads, watches*

*5 minutes later*

My guess is that you hit him right here:

gbmDfVF.jpg

Missing the 220mm casemate athwrarthship, the 180mm citadel athwarthship and because of the angle of shot missing the 120mm turtleback as well, with two shells out of a 4 shell salvo dispersing into the 45mm citadel bulkhead. Alternatively you were at such close range with a downward angle to your shots that you did hit the 120mm turtleback but because of the downward angle of your shells they didn't ricochet.

Either way, it was a combination of timing, angle and dispersion that got you those two cits. Very lucky.

That does explain a lot...so yeah was basically incredibly lucky and probably something I couldn't very easily replicate again.

Sign in to follow this