Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
theLaalaa

As the minutes tick down...

22 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

1,968
Members
1,995 posts
28,628 battles

...I am still content to not plunk down my precious, freely-obtained doubloons for Odin. I'll sail my fully-juiced Bismarck this morning in celebration of my self-control... and with enough doubloons to possibly buy Anchorage in the next dockyard event.

Edited by theLaalaa
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,758
[KWF]
Members
6,359 posts
7,145 battles

Your account, your decision, though Odin is a neat little ship (and that's coming from someone that doesn't really play BBs).

With a bit of luck on SC awards from anniversary you could get enough doubloons for both Odin and Anchorage though.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,968
Members
1,995 posts
28,628 battles
9 minutes ago, warheart1992 said:

Your account, your decision, though Odin is a neat little ship (and that's coming from someone that doesn't really play BBs).

With a bit of luck on SC awards from anniversary you could get enough doubloons for both Odin and Anchorage though.

If I want a T8 BB, Bismarck is more up to it (with the benefits of perma-camo). If I want to play with Odin's little guns, I'll put my Agir to sea. Odin seemed to fill no niche. It only seemed to drain doubloons.

I believe the most valuable prize I've obtained from a Square Container is 3000 doubloons, with 300 Dragon Flags as runner up. Never a boat (if memory serves).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
382
[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,653 battles

As @warheart1992, the Odin is a neat little ships BUT if you've already got your Bismarck or Derpitz, she's not exactly leaping out at people screaming "buy meh now!".

Personally I just want coal from the anniversary event, I've got like 65k coal left to go until I can get mah Georgia (I need a tier 9 premium for credit grinding purposes and the Alaska, which would be my preferred choice, isn't available for coal) so every little bit of coal helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,758
[KWF]
Members
6,359 posts
7,145 battles
1 minute ago, theLaalaa said:

If I want a T8 BB, Bismarck is more up to it (with the benefits of perma-camo). If I want to play with Odin's little guns, I'll put my Agir to sea. Odin seemed to fill no niche. It only seemed to drain doubloons.

I believe the most valuable prize I've obtained from a Square Container is 3000 doubloons, with 300 Dragon Flags as runner up. Never a boat (if memory serves).

Fair, if I had Agir I don't think I would bother with Odin, but as someone who doesn't have the former (and no premium secondaries ship) it looked like a good investment. As for the niche, I would say it's the combination of Tirpitz's torpedoes with Bismarck's Hydro, but since Agir also has that it's kinda moot.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
382
[XXX]
Members
663 posts
1,653 battles
Just now, warheart1992 said:

Fair, if I had Agir I don't think I would bother with Odin, but as someone who doesn't have the former (and no premium secondaries ship) it looked like a good investment. As for the niche, I would say it's the combination of Tirpitz's torpedoes with Bismarck's Hydro, but since Agir also has that it's kinda moot.

 

Yeah basically the Agir IS the Odin, minus the heavy Icebreaker bow and with more accurate guns...so...yeah..bit of a trade off for armor over speed.

Just really wish the Siegfried wasn't RB...she's probably the most fun looking out of all the recent German stoofs just because she has a unique feature.

The Agir is basically Herr Blandstein of Blandville, she's a 305mm cruiser, with hydro, decent armour and torpedos. She hasn't quite got the velocity of the Kron, she hasn't got the improved pen angles of the Alaska, she hasn't got the long range torps or decent HE of the Yoshino or Azuma, she hasn't got BB guns on a cruiser hull like the Siegfried...she's just...middle of the road...she's not a bad ship by any means but she doesn't really stand out in any way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,968
Members
1,995 posts
28,628 battles
8 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

The Agir is basically Herr Blandstein of Blandville, she's a 305mm cruiser, with hydro, decent armour and torpedos. She hasn't quite got the velocity of the Kron, she hasn't got the improved pen angles of the Alaska, she hasn't got the long range torps or decent HE of the Yoshino or Azuma, she hasn't got BB guns on a cruiser hull like the Siegfried...she's just...middle of the road...she's not a bad ship by any means but she doesn't really stand out in any way.

When I'm in Agir, I am missing my Krony. Agir is the most disappointing FXP purchase I've made, but my German line badly needed some beefing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,894
[FML]
Members
4,163 posts
16,112 battles
52 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

...I am still content to not plunk down my precious, freely-obtained doubloons for Odin. I'll sail my fully-juiced Bismarck this morning in celebration of my self-control... and with enough doubloons to possibly buy Anchorage in the next dockyard event.

Interestingly, I was just like you - quite underwhelmed with what I have read about the Odin and didnt intend on getting it.  In the end, I decided that getting a T8 premium ship for 80% off was worth taking a risk, and - to be very honest - I am actually really enjoying the Odin.  Her guns feel fast and flat, but more importantly, they have tight groupings.  Not sure if its just early RNG, but it feels like a german battleship that can actually hit what it is shooting at, which makes a really nice change.  Can suggest her if you are on the fence about it.  

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103
[PHD]
Members
300 posts
9,969 battles
35 minutes ago, Yandere_Roon said:

As @warheart1992, the Odin is a neat little ships BUT if you've already got your Bismarck or Derpitz, she's not exactly leaping out at people screaming "buy meh now!".

Personally I just want coal from the anniversary event, I've got like 65k coal left to go until I can get mah Georgia (I need a tier 9 premium for credit grinding purposes and the Alaska, which would be my preferred choice, isn't available for coal) so every little bit of coal helps.

How about mowing three lawns in your off time and spending it on Georgia and use the coal for Thunderer? Why use coal for a ship you can buy? It would make more sense to use the coal fir a desirable ship that cannot be purchased with money, steel, ir doubloons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
103
[PHD]
Members
300 posts
9,969 battles
18 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Interestingly, I was just like you - quite underwhelmed with what I have read about the Odin and didnt intend on getting it.  In the end, I decided that getting a T8 premium ship for 80% off was worth taking a risk, and - to be very honest - I am actually really enjoying the Odin.  Her guns feel fast and flat, but more importantly, they have tight groupings.  Not sure if its just early RNG, but it feels like a german battleship that can actually hit what it is shooting at, which makes a really nice change.  Can suggest her if you are on the fence about it.  

And it has torpedoes and nice secondaries. Great for brawling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,968
Members
1,995 posts
28,628 battles
15 minutes ago, UltimateNewbie said:

Can suggest her if you are on the fence about it.  

Ultimately, (for me) premiums come with perma-camo to maximize the XP gain of each battle and an ability to accommodate any captain without retraining with the aim of upping his counter. In my hard consideration of Odin, I thought on how I've been using my premiums for a while: I put a suited 19pt capt. in them and gain CXP that can be distributed on ANY other capt. Well... there was my T8 Bismarck in port with perma-camo. All I needed was a super captain spec'd to maximize Bizzy's strengths, so I bought Lutjens, sup'd him, and now Lutjens' Bizzy is an excellent CXP producer for the rest of the fleet. No need for doubloon-depleting Odin!

  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,619
[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,350 battles
49 minutes ago, theLaalaa said:

If I want to play with Odin's little guns, I'll put my Agir to sea.

I'll stick up for Odin because I quite like what my 3500 doubloons got me, but I agree that if you've already got Agir, Odin is more or less unnecessary duplication.

Better indeed to keep the dubs and see what Anchorage is like. 

Having the Odin lets me keep my FXP and think about Friesland... or maybe even Smaland one day. I blew all my FXP on Hayate (and like what I got), but I've already reaccumulated 700,000 of it and Smaland does not now seem so distant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
582
[DHO-2]
Beta Testers
1,250 posts
11,232 battles
On 8/3/2020 at 11:28 PM, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I'll stick up for Odin because I quite like what my 3500 doubloons got me, but I agree that if you've already got Agir, Odin is more or less unnecessary duplication.

Better indeed to keep the dubs and see what Anchorage is like. 

Having the Odin lets me keep my FXP and think about Friesland... or maybe even Smaland one day. I blew all my FXP on Hayate (and like what I got), but I've already reaccumulated 700,000 of it and Smaland does not now seem so distant.

 

I gotta agree with this^^^^

 

3500 dubs for a tier 8 BB is a great deal.

 

As for the Eu DD's  I got all the lands and recommend them all.  Oland, Smaland, Friesland and Osto-land

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
215
[CRUEL]
Members
544 posts
10,084 battles

I got it because I plan on getting a few Santa crates and it's one less inexpensive premium that wont drop. I'm buying up a bunch of tier 5's now. And I'm hoping this year RNG will reward me with a few more rare ships. We shall see. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,968
Members
1,995 posts
28,628 battles
13 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Better indeed to keep the dubs and see what Anchorage is like. 

Having the Odin lets me keep my FXP and think about Friesland... or maybe even Smaland one day. I blew all my FXP on Hayate (and like what I got), but I've already reaccumulated 700,000 of it and Smaland does not now seem so distant.

I would never spend anything (other than silver) on a DD. I am so bad at DD play that even the bots in co-op downvote me! And I'd practically NEVER bring a DD into randoms as they are too important in that environment for a moron such as myself to so severely hobble a team with my DD presence.

I FXP'd Agir because of my joy with my Krony and Alexka super-CA's. Agir, to me, isn't up to their standards, but, as I said earlier, my German fleet was needing some love'n, so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16,619
[ARGSY]
Members
24,393 posts
18,350 battles
1 hour ago, theLaalaa said:

I would never spend anything (other than silver) on a DD. I am so bad at DD play that even the bots in co-op downvote me! And I'd practically NEVER bring a DD into randoms as they are too important in that environment for a moron such as myself to so severely hobble a team with my DD presence.

:Smile_veryhappy:

NP. You do you; I was merely reflecting on my own priorities.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
65 posts
254 battles

It's a fun ship but you have to work hard to make it work well. It's quite a situational ship. Sometimes, there just isn't a good window/opening and you have to sit back a little. There's so many variables in a battle and there are times you can't play your strengths yet or there might be an opening but it's on the other flank and you're not a fast ship so you can't quickly reposition. 

You can't out trade most bbs so don't bother sitting bow in and trading with another bb, you'll just be wasting time. Sometimes you don't have a choice but to do it for a short while but hopefully it won't be too long or you won't be contributing much to the team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,254
[EQRN]
Members
2,235 posts
20,477 battles

Used to be a premium release was a big deal, now they’re being thrown out 2 or 3 at a time and I don’t even bother keeping track of what ship is what.  Siegfried, Agir, Odin - I think one is a cruiser, one is fxp, and... meh.  (Did Germans ever name ships after Norse figures?). Last “event” was a trio of Russian cruisers and I can’t even remember their names.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
390
[PHD]
Members
1,929 posts
7,425 battles

I played the event mainly to get the Graf Spee.  The Odin was a bonus when I saw that I could finish the event Other than T61 and Z39 the only other KM ship I had was the Prince Eugen which I have not yet found interesting. 

At least this Dockyard event was reasonable. I did have to play BBs more than I  wanted, but for an event to get a BB I suppose it is reasonable. 

Now it's back to DDs for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,068
[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,347 posts

The Spee is not a bad ship, just don't let her get mobbed.

I finished the odin early wtih 'loons And found it to be a "Just ok" lost in the forest of Bismarcks and Tripitzs. It does not stand out.

The mainz was nice but if you get mobbed its gone. It does not stand up to any T10 BB one round of damage.

Scharnhorst was a nice little ship. A little bit slow at times.

I'll be picking up the Prinz Eugen again. Normally I don't buy retail ships twice but that one has the repair air defense and speed to keep out of too much trouble.

And thats just it. If I wanted a german bruiser I'll just kit the Bismarck. Join 2 others in Random and move in to clean up.

At some point I'll end up in the Hipper. Short on gas and speed with lots of torps. I don't know.

 

I was remembering games when you introduced a really dangerous opponet into the fight and you can see the humans online react and seek protection or shelter. These modern games are getting to where it's so balanced that there is no credible threat anymore exhibited by anything in game.

Edited by xHeavy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9,758
[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Banned
16,985 posts

I'm quite happy that I added both Agir and Odin to my fleet, and I already had the entire possible German BB fleet in techtree and premiums from tier V upward (got Tirpitz B in a Black Friday crate, bought Scharnhorst B so I could rotate Scharnhorsts in Narai). 

It was 3500 doubloons for a 10pt captain, a port slot, a big sack of Coal, and a tier 8 premium that can be used to fulfill BB, German, tier 8+, secondary hits, torpedo hits, main battery hits, damage done, and potential damage mission goals. 

Plus my Gneisenau captain is 19 points and works well commanding Odin, giving me a 7th daily +50% to farm ECXP with (Gneis, Scharn, Scharn B, Tirp, Tirp B, PEF, Odin).  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×