You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RonJamesDio

Atago or Alaska? What do YOU think?

31 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
143 posts
3,519 battles

I'm looking to pick up a higher tier prem cruiser. I've extensively read up about both ships ( courtesy of Miss Mouse) but I am curious. Alaska seems to be a strong ship in the right situations, but the Atago has been a tough opponent when played well vs all ship classes I have played since I started the game, and she seems to be a very powerful ship in her own regard. I have no preference between tier's 8 or 9. 

I have Kronstadt already, but Alaska seems to be her own style of ship. On the other hand I have a blast with my Mogami and the hit and run stealthy playstyle. 

Which would be more fun?! Which do you folks enjoy more? 

[BNKR]
Members
1,615 posts
2,379 battles

Alaska is really good all the time; possibly the best cruiser in the game. Not that Atago is bad, but the only time she gets one over on AK is when she can dump torpedoes. Having a big health pool, being able to bow tank 15” guns, radar stuff, and drop huge salvos from that super-heavy AP are just overwhelming advantages. I have both and if I could only keep one, Alaska stays without a second thought. 

• Cool 3

Members
2,227 posts
35,649 battles

Alaska if you are a gunfighter, like to run in like Han and fight like the cowboy with no name in the spaghetti western of your choice 

Atago if you like to elegantly sail like a leaf in the wind dumping torps and using both ammo types with guile and ease akin to a samurai dancing with his beloved GF while shedding blood of ninjas whilst in a loving embrace that makes players say: "Wow. ."

Hell yeah, I am a warrior poet. Doesn't mean I can't dance. I just make it look epic.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles
1 hour ago, RonJamesDio said:

Honestly if its a competitive edge you're after, Alaska with its radar and other goodies is a very clear choice.

From my experience there isn't any ship that it encounters that it's weak against.

Are you looking to get it from the premium shop or with FXP? 

Edited by Sumseaman

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
143 posts
3,519 battles
6 minutes ago, Sumseaman said:

Honestly if its a competitive edge you're after, Alaska with its radar and other goodies is a very clear choice.

From my experience there isn't any ship that it encounters that it's weak against.

Are you looking to get it from the premium shop or with FXP? 

Premium shop most likely. Doubloon costs don't really matter to me so I'm just looking for a ship that's fun. How well do Alaska's guns damage BB's and destroyers? I heard she is mean vs cruisers. 

[WOLF6]
Members
1,849 posts
5,553 battles
8 minutes ago, RonJamesDio said:

Premium shop most likely. Doubloon costs don't really matter to me so I'm just looking for a ship that's fun. How well do Alaska's guns damage BB's and destroyers? I heard she is mean vs cruisers. 

It damages everything. With AP cruisers are the main prey though the HE and its sigma/radar/hydro nails DDs. BBs can enjoy both. AA is decent enough to fend off carriers even without DFAA. I SUCK with the big guns and still pull off disgusting scores.

If price isn't an issue Alaska is a no brainer. 

Edited by Sumseaman

[XXX]
Members
520 posts
923 battles

Aye if price isn't an issue, Alaska, she'll make you more credits as well being a tier 9 Premium.

[RLGN]
Members
14,091 posts
24,548 battles
1 hour ago, RagingxMarmoset said:

Alaska is really good all the time; possibly the best cruiser in the game. Not that Atago is bad, but the only time she gets one over on AK is when she can dump torpedoes. Having a big health pool, being able to bow tank 15” guns, radar stuff, and drop huge salvos from that super-heavy AP are just overwhelming advantages. I have both and if I could only keep one, Alaska stays without a second thought. 

Also have both, but would keep Atago. Pretty much because popular ships do nothing but give me a big fat bird whenever I have some attack of insanitity and try to play them.

• Funny 1

[ARGSY]
Members
19,445 posts
13,760 battles

If you can't decide between them, buy the Atago and use her to help grind Free XP for the Alaska. 

Atago isn't a Mogami; she's more like a Tier 8 super-Myoko with a heal, and with half her torpedo tubes flipped round to the forward quarter. I'm waiting for some sort of sale when I can get her for a good price. If the Summer Sale is a no-go this year, hopefully they will still repeat Black Friday. The Atago Black (Blatago?) is exactly the same ship, but often comes at a discount.

• Cool 1

[CHBK]
Members
745 posts
3,343 battles

Atago for me...I'm just way better in that ship than in the Alaska.  I mean I realize this is a me problem and not an Alaska problem.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
143 posts
3,519 battles
50 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If you can't decide between them, buy the Atago and use her to help grind Free XP for the Alaska. 

Atago isn't a Mogami; she's more like a Tier 8 super-Myoko with a heal, and with half her torpedo tubes flipped round to the forward quarter. I'm waiting for some sort of sale when I can get her for a good price. If the Summer Sale is a no-go this year, hopefully they will still repeat Black Friday. The Atago Black (Blatago?) is exactly the same ship, but often comes at a discount.

You were right about the West Virginia, that's for sure! Hows her Pen with HE? Forward facing torps!?

[FML]
Members
3,864 posts
15,300 battles
5 hours ago, RonJamesDio said:

I'm looking to pick up a higher tier prem cruiser. I've extensively read up about both ships ( courtesy of Miss Mouse) but I am curious. Alaska seems to be a strong ship in the right situations, but the Atago has been a tough opponent when played well vs all ship classes I have played since I started the game, and she seems to be a very powerful ship in her own regard. I have no preference between tier's 8 or 9. 

I have Kronstadt already, but Alaska seems to be her own style of ship. On the other hand I have a blast with my Mogami and the hit and run stealthy playstyle. 

Hi. I would have thought you could get both - Atago from the premium shop/with doubloons, and Alaska using free XP which will eventually accumulate.  Gathering 1 million free XP is much, much easier than it used to be, so it shouldnt take that long - why not mount free XP flags on your shiny new Atago and get them that way?! :)

I have the Alaska and I find her strong and enjoyable.  I was less successful with IJN cruisers, but I tried them mid-career so with a bit more experience she could be decent in my hands; I have seen plenty of players abuse her stealth and just pop out of nowhere with a devastating HE salvo backed up by surprise torps. Deadly combo.  Ambush predator.  

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
19,445 posts
13,760 battles
48 minutes ago, RonJamesDio said:

You were right about the West Virginia, that's for sure! Hows her Pen with HE? Forward facing torps!?

Don't know, don't have her - that's just my assessment of her looking at the arrangement of her weapons (very Myoko-like) and gameplay I have observed.

[MIBR]
[MIBR]
Members
1,284 posts
5 hours ago, RonJamesDio said:

I would say alaska.

I am holding my fingers to not get Atago as everyone says it is good but there are some regrets.. It looks like more of a defensive ship.

Alaska is a complete ship.

[S0L0]
[S0L0]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
4,367 posts
6,342 battles

I'd guess that Alaska is the best performing available premium in game right now.  That being said Atago is no slouch though a little more tedious to master.    But I think a lot of weight would need to be put on your playstyle, what captain training do you need.   They are both very fun ships and both will make a lot of credits...   

[DAS]
Members
971 posts
7,896 battles

I have both and I would say Alaska.

It is a bit easier to make a mistake in the Alaska and get away with it.

Members
302 posts
16,073 battles

The Alaska is the better ship, particularly with only ~3k games under your belt. The Atago requires a lot more skill to be effective in not die promptly. 

[IMP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
163 posts
4,343 battles

I'd say Atago because I love it. It's all that is good with the Japanese CAs, a spiritual successor to the definitely not overpowered Furutaka mixed up with the greatness of Myoko, without the flaws of Mogami AND with a heal in the tier everyone else scrambles for islands when they take damage (but not Prinz Eugen). It's a much cheaper alternative than Alaska, which you can grind for free exp really. Not to hate on the Alaska though, it's a great ship with ranked battles potential.

• Cool 1

[FGNE]
Members
953 posts
4,526 battles

I have both and I enjoy both, the ships have different attributes, since you have researched both I would think you consider you can make them work.

I got Atago in the premium shop and Alaska for FXP, I - as some other have done - would recommend to go that way; why have only one when you can have two?

• Cool 1

Members
40 posts
2,344 battles

I will choose Alaska without hesitation even if I have ARP Takao (I'm just not elegant enough to sail her well). 

Alaska is really resilient in Tier X games and can easily penetrate BBs in CQCs. AA is decent as well. 

IMO Alaska is the best Tier IX cruiser. 

[BB22]
Members
574 posts
7,150 battles

You can't go wrong with those. 

However,  I wouldn't recommend spending real money on a ship that can be acquired for free. 1 million fxp is pretty easy to acquire by just playing the missions and donning econ flags and camos. And getting the coal for yoshino/Salem etc doesn't take that long. 

So for a $ purchase I would recommend atago.

[WMD]
Members
1,541 posts
9,509 battles

I have ARP Takao(Atago with a different name), and Alaska. I find Takao more fun than Alaska on the rare occasion I take one of them out.

For whatever reason USN CAs have never really been a great deal of fun for me, but I picked up Alaska for FXP anyway. I find the slow reload frustrating for a CA, and due to it's reputation Alaska is often a favourite target of enemy BBs. 

Finally, as mentioned by others the Alaska is free with FXP, so it's wiser to spent the doubloons on the ship you can't get for free. 

Members
38 posts
17,638 battles

Alaska is the far superior ship, but its also available for free XP. But if you want free ships that are easy to grind out more free ships, I'd suggest Georgia or Thunderer battleships.