You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
The_Potato_Smasher

How to Neptune?

23 comments in this topic

[PRVTR]
Members
1,139 posts
6,315 battles

Hello everyone!

So, I finished my Edinburgh grind this afternoon, like an absolute boss, and I finally unlocked the HMS Neptune. I've already played a few games in her, and I'm already liking the ship quite a bit. For starters, the rate of fire and turret traverse are marked improvements over the Edinburgh and an absolute nightmare for anyone that dares enter main battery range. I also like the fact that I now have more usable torpedo banks, with 8 fish per side instead of the previous 3 fish. There are only a couple of things that I really dislike about the ship, and that's the larger-than-average surface detection radius, and the unfortunate tendency to suddenly and violently explode if anything other than a destroyer looks at it funny. ( At least I get the Teaboo repair party to compensate for that particular shortcoming in some circumstances ).

However, I'm sort of struggling to figure out how to use the ship. With the Edinburgh, if I had the Smoke Generator equipped, I could cosplay as a DD in top-tier matches, and with the Surveillance Radar, I could be an effective DD hunter as well. That, however, was largely due to the Edinburgh's excellent 9.2km surface detection radius when fully kitted out. On the other hand, the Neptune can only minimize to 10.3 kilometers, which is actually rather appalling, to say the least. 

So, that's my question. How do I work around the shortcomings and that bad detection radius and maximize the potential of the ship? 

( Yes, I'm still on the stock hull. It's gonna take a while, okay!?)

Thanks in advance

-Shrayes

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,867 posts
25,982 battles

You have to play her a bit more standoff-ish like Fiji.

Stealth Build Fiji is 10.06km in surface detection.  RNCLs play pretty close to the action but not that close for a number of them.

All the stealthy stuff that Edinburgh did in Tier VIII?  Don't even try it with IX Neptune.  Save that for X Minotaur who actually becomes very stealthy.  Play more conservatively with Neptune because the stealth you had in Edinburgh isn't there to save you.

Another thing with her concealment, because you aren't stealthy like Leander, Edinburgh anymore, you have to recognize early when it's time to make like a tree, and leave.  Figure that out too late and you're spotted without smoke, and you're 1-2 salvos away from getting deleted.

Also, torpedoes.  10km range but your concealment is worse than that even in Stealth Build.  Due to Neptune's exposed Citadel, never, ever, ever use her torps offensively, pushing into the reds.  That's a good way to go from Full HP to "Back to Port" status.  But on the kite?  Drop torps while undetected, a km or two above your concealment range.  Drop as many as you can, and run.

When I first got Neptune I made the mistake of taking more range.  I saw the ROF and thought I could rain shells across the map.  Technically you can, but I was horrified to see how long the shells hanged in the air.  They just stayed up like illumination flares.  That, and making a few mistakes by thinking I could play aggressive in shorter ranges, were the issues I had.  After tweaking my build and reigning in my aggressiveness with her, Neptune became one of the best, easiest grind experiences I've ever had in this game.  I felt so great with her that I didn't even know I had long passed the XPs I needed to unlock Minotaur.  I was actually sad to leave.

Target preferences are still the same as any RNCL:  Murder DDs, try to get on the flanks and rake the side of ships / BB superstructure if you can.

When I left Neptune I actually struggled for quite a while on Minotaur, compared to my awesome experience with Neps.  Funny how that worked out.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Thanks 1

[WOLF3]
Members
612 posts
12,059 battles

Also, isn't there a base fire penalty in smokethat is about 6km? Something to think about as well. Been working on the neptue off and on but ive had other things to grind.

Edited by Drifter_X

[KAPPA]
Members
3,122 posts
9,241 battles

Personally, I hated Neptune, and when I used Fxp to skip her, I realized I hated Minotaur as well. But nowhere near as much as Neptune, but distinctly less enjoyable than Edinburgh. Edinburgh, on the other hand, is one of my all time favorite ships. I'd honestly have preferred slapping a T9 sticker on Edinburgh and using her.

That said, I will reduce my hatred for that ship down to a concentrate so as to tell you most notable differences I noticed from Edinburgh to Neptune.

1: Detection in smoke. This was the biggest issue for me. I love to abuse smoke from within my detection range in these things, and that extra large bloom just kind of obliterates all of the strategies that worked fine in every ship from Leander to Edin, ignoring that I already had to more or less start from scratch when the smoke bloom was added.

2: Shell arcs. Neptune's the first ship to change up the guns from what Leander was using if memory serves. This results in various differences, but the most difficult to get used to for me were the higher arcs. I found that it makes nailing super structures quite a lot more difficult, and firing at distant targets much harder.

3: Tankiness. This one is less steeped in facts, but I always seemed to die in ways that Edinburgh just... wouldn't have. No idea why, to be honest. 

• Cool 1

[D33P6]
Members
572 posts

I'm not an expert on the Neptune but I think positioning is very important.  I will try as much as possible to use the islands as cover.  You're also going to want a ship that will actively spot for you.  I also recommend thinking one step ahead in both directions of how the engagement, in your area, pans out. 

Where will I push up next to continue to support the team?

And

Where and when will I start to fall back?  If things go badly.

It's important to think ahead because once you're detected you become a magnet for shells.

The only time I'll send out torpedo's is defensively.  If my team starts to fall back from our position I'll send out a wave of torpedo's or when a ship starts to push towards my smoke.  If a ship starts to head towards your smoke be very careful.  If they don't get destroyed before reaching you within 6km you will be detected if you fire.

I hope this helps.  Good luck.

Edited by HeadSplit120

Members
169 posts
16,633 battles

You've upgraded from a solid smoke light cruiser to a glass cannon. Mistakes are fatal.

Most important is positioning, and caution to the point of paranoia. That vast over water citadel is just waiting to explode.

- You must know where the red DD's are when you smoke fire (big smoke firing penalty)
- You must know where the radars are. Those soviet guns backed up by a 12km radar can delete you faster than you can say "Where the F-"
- Torpedoes are there to tempt you into dying. Use them when someone pushes you, or for flooding a CAP with pre-emptive torps, or very late game for island ambushes. You are not a DD.
- You will get citadeled by people blind firing your smoke. Move around, and camp up behind an island with an escape route to hard cover whenever you can.

Neptune Training Drill : Play 5 games in a row where you are alive at the end of the game.

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,867 posts
25,982 battles
2 hours ago, Drifter_X said:

Also, isn't there a base fire penalty in smokethat is about 6km? Something to think about as well. Been working on the neptue off and on but ive had other things to grind.

6.58km... But you shouldn't be smoking up that close to anyone to begin with.

[F4E-2]
Members
357 posts
7,058 battles
8 minutes ago, Soshi_Sone said:

I saw the vid, noticed it was about a little under 3 min long and thought "hmmmmm... I think I know where this is going." Did not disappoint. 10/10 would recommend to my friends.

[ARGSY]
Members
24,415 posts
18,358 battles
9 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

After tweaking my build and reigning in my aggressiveness with her, Neptune became one of the best, easiest grind experiences I've ever had in this game.

Neptune was fun, but by the time I'd got into her I made two important decisions:

1) I had decided to be a full-time paid premium-time player.

2) I had doubloons lying around that I'd got for free by winning PEF in a stream and then unlocking her in her event. 

So I bought Neptune a permacamo, and thus I could afford to run her in co-op, and I did great slaughter there. In my opinion she is significantly more powerful and dangerous than Minotaur (as well as having two extra barrels, she can fire six out of her twelve guns either directly forward or aft, whereas Minotaur can only manage four, and she actually has secondaries). That concealment and that yawning cit that screams "touch me!" are the only things that stop her from being grossly OP. 

Back in the day, the way AA was handled gave her arguably the most powerful AA suite in the game until she was dethroned by Worcester.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu

[DW-62]
Beta Testers
228 posts
1,756 battles

The get of detonation free signal (Juliet Charlie) is your friend....

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,365 posts

I run Neptune constantly because it fits me well.

Artillery is a little light about 155 mm or so, call em 6 inch. The other side is that you can just hold the mouse button down until the enemy dead. All gone bye bye. Or Farm points off BB's

Killing DD's is the fun part. Citadel the italian cruisers is alot of motivating.

I approach the battle a little differently in the Neptune. If there is a saloon fight raging, I'll get my shots in but do not allow myself to be at the center of the spiders web so to speak. I usually try to club those smaller than me and get clear of something big enough to delete me in one broadside like the Kremlin. But if I can get a Krem behind a island, come around and be seen by it at 2 km and 8 torps outbound before it has a chance to do something hes dead. Not too long ago I took on three krems as a assassination.

That means I don't like to be detected. To be detected means to die. Or worse shoot then get detected and the entire Bot army opens fire on you and intends to drown you.

Armor is ok, but repairs are the goodie. Ive learned to use smoke more than radar. If there is a DD 5.7 km away I'll find him. I do what is called the crazy Ivan.

Once in a while you get caught. Espeically in a human vs human fight. Forget the bismark or any other hard to sink now ships, shoot that paper ship neptune. Just have more ships in port to play while that map plays out after you are sunk.

Minotaur can be stealthy. And as such are dangerous. However in the end they can be sunk.

• Haha 1

[CNO]
Members
6,575 posts
19,762 battles
2 hours ago, murder_0ne said:

I saw the vid, noticed it was about a little under 3 min long and thought "hmmmmm... I think I know where this is going." Did not disappoint. 10/10 would recommend to my friends.

Thank you.  Also, it's a good example of how you can get detonated on one salvo under the 75% rule.   The game occurred after WG modified the game so that you must be less than 75% health or a det check is not made. 

However, if you get enough damage from pens/citadels from a salvo (to get you below 75%) then any additional pens (from the same salvo) get a det check if applicable.  Ergo, you can still be insta-deleted detonated on one salvo at full health.  It requires a more nuanced and much more rare sequence...but it's still possible.  

• Cool 1

[DAS]
Members
1,024 posts
10,341 battles

I am also working on the Neptune and I try not to get closer than 11 km if at all possible. Your smoke means nothing if people can radar you in it. I know Russian radar can find you at 12 km, so depending on enemy ships, you may want to stay even longer away from the reds. I played one game in mine yesterday and ended up with 161K dmg. Sadly we lost, but I finished first on my team.

Members
600 posts
17,637 battles

I play her like I play my Akizuki/Kitakaze. Stay out of radar range, find a nice quiet area on a flank where the enemy is coming towards your nearby allies, smoke up and hammer them. The Neptune is also a little nimble and has better than expected bow armor. With some practice, you can harass at range (~15k) with minimal threat to you - particularly if big dumb bbs are aiming the other way. Also, you can invisible torp oncoming enemies by firing outside of your concealment range and let them drive into torp range. Sometimes risky, but enemies tend to forget about your torps if the dds are dead/accounted for.

[SALVO]
Members
8,201 posts
6,084 battles

How to Neptune?

I think it goes about terrorizing sailors into worshiping you, pissing on Jupiter and Pluto, fathering mermen, cyclops and similar other miscreant types and racing horses... just be your regular scumbag.

• Cool 1

[-TRM-]
[-TRM-]
Members
3,365 posts
1 hour ago, Telastyn said:

I play her like I play my Akizuki/Kitakaze. Stay out of radar range, find a nice quiet area on a flank where the enemy is coming towards your nearby allies, smoke up and hammer them. The Neptune is also a little nimble and has better than expected bow armor. With some practice, you can harass at range (~15k) with minimal threat to you - particularly if big dumb bbs are aiming the other way. Also, you can invisible torp oncoming enemies by firing outside of your concealment range and let them drive into torp range. Sometimes risky, but enemies tend to forget about your torps if the dds are dead/accounted for.

Thats the one thing I like to do when torp range is larger than detection range.

Even better if I catch a clutch of enemy BB's with the turrets pointed somewhere else engaged in shooting. By the time they get that BEEEEP torp warning its too late to do anything but stop which means I have to undershoot a few torps just to catch them when they do stop fast. Most of the time they die waiting on the rudder to shift over.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,867 posts
25,982 battles
9 hours ago, Roken1 said:

The get of detonation free signal (Juliet Charlie) is your friend....

Detonation isn't a worry for Cruisers.  DDs worry about it the most and Battleships it becomes possible when eating torpedoes outside their torpedo defenses.

It's eating Devastating Strikes, which RNCLs, in particular Tier IV-V and IX-X are especially prone to.  You get no consolation prizes for being Dev Struck.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[CNO]
Members
6,575 posts
19,762 battles
16 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Detonation isn't a worry for Cruisers. 

It is for Neptune!  

[SALVO]
Members
8,201 posts
6,084 battles
17 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Detonation isn't a worry for Cruisers. 

LOL, say that to my Prinz Eugen. She didn't get the memo.

Edited by ArIskandir

[WOLF3]
Members
612 posts
12,059 battles
On 8/3/2020 at 2:32 AM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

6.58km... But you shouldn't be smoking up that close to anyone to begin with.

LOL your right. I have a tendency to get greedy on the caps looking for dd food. Its a bad habit from my Leander play style where you can farm at close range, which is my go-to ship in ranked tier 6. :cap_rambo:

Members
7,122 posts
22,661 battles
On 8/3/2020 at 1:22 AM, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Hello everyone!

So, I finished my Edinburgh grind this afternoon, like an absolute boss, and I finally unlocked the HMS Neptune. I've already played a few games in her, and I'm already liking the ship quite a bit. For starters, the rate of fire and turret traverse are marked improvements over the Edinburgh and an absolute nightmare for anyone that dares enter main battery range. I also like the fact that I now have more usable torpedo banks, with 8 fish per side instead of the previous 3 fish. There are only a couple of things that I really dislike about the ship, and that's the larger-than-average surface detection radius, and the unfortunate tendency to suddenly and violently explode if anything other than a destroyer looks at it funny. ( At least I get the Teaboo repair party to compensate for that particular shortcoming in some circumstances ).

However, I'm sort of struggling to figure out how to use the ship. With the Edinburgh, if I had the Smoke Generator equipped, I could cosplay as a DD in top-tier matches, and with the Surveillance Radar, I could be an effective DD hunter as well. That, however, was largely due to the Edinburgh's excellent 9.2km surface detection radius when fully kitted out. On the other hand, the Neptune can only minimize to 10.3 kilometers, which is actually rather appalling, to say the least. 

So, that's my question. How do I work around the shortcomings and that bad detection radius and maximize the potential of the ship? 

( Yes, I'm still on the stock hull. It's gonna take a while, okay!?)

Thanks in advance

-Shrayes

You need RL (rpf) because the ship is made of cotton candy you cannot get spotted unless you meant too. Use it to ensure the target you are shooting at is the closest, because if you get smoke spotted it's game over. 

If you use smoke, or even radar, always make sure you have an escape route, (an island) to get behind as quickly as possible. Don't be a fool for your smoke, in other words just because your smoke has 35 seconds left, get out, get safe and re adjust your position.

Neptune is strategic damage not bulk damage. Position and profit.

• Thanks 1

[PRVTR]
Members
1,139 posts
6,315 battles
19 minutes ago, Joyous_Vibes said:

You need RL (rpf) because the ship is made of cotton candy you cannot get spotted unless you meant too. Use it to ensure the target you are shooting at is the closest, because if you get smoke spotted it's game over. 

If you use smoke, or even radar, always make sure you have an escape route, (an island) to get behind as quickly as possible. Don't be a fool for your smoke, in other words just because your smoke has 35 seconds left, get out, get safe and re adjust your position.

Neptune is strategic damage not bulk damage. Position and profit.

I already have a 15 point Jingles with RDF. I just need to retrain him from my Edinburgh to my Neptune