Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
WarKitten_1

DD questions...a little confuzzled....

11 comments in this topic

[-QG-]
Members
66 posts
5,022 battles

Greetings All,

I mostly do CL/CA but since winning the french dd Guepard VI, thought I would branch out and learn new things and ground up VII Vauquelin and VII Le Fantastque, and got V Visby, having got stuck on dockyard part 2 (part RL and part the only ship I had that qualified was Visby.  To the more exp of the group, what would be a good next line to get?   I do ok with the 3 french ones, but, suck with Visby, (not helping that her torps only do 6200).  Also, I noticed on ship info under your commander, (I'll use Visby for this), she only has 2x3 tubes = 6 torps total at a time, but the info says 9.....is that just a "stat" of some sort or is this like MWO were you have a 40rnd missile launcher, but the graphics only show 20 tubes and the extras just fly out after the first 20?

Thank you for any help!

War Kitten

Tank - Submarine.png

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Alpha Tester
25,779 posts
21,681 battles

Neither the French nor the Pan Ikea line of DDs teach normal, 'standard' DD tactics, so whichever line you'd go down is just going to teach you that line. Though the French line is arguably the closer to 'standard' between the two.

As for the 9 for Visby's torpedoes, that's just a stat of some sort.

• Cool 1

Members
2,126 posts
7,630 battles

I can't really opine on destroyers in a competition environment as I am a co-op main.

When I saw your "nom de guerre" and avatar picture I couldn't resist giving this meme to you.

lvl1khajit.thumb.jpg.2ef30d2425a123fb92cadb3d97f56f69.jpg

Battle on, WarKitten!  +1  :cap_like:

• Cool 1

Members
12,613 posts
14,320 battles
23 minutes ago, WarKitten_1 said:

Greetings All,

I mostly do CL/CA but since winning the french dd Guepard VI, thought I would branch out and learn new things and ground up VII Vauquelin and VII Le Fantastque, and got V Visby, having got stuck on dockyard part 2 (part RL and part the only ship I had that qualified was Visby.  To the more exp of the group, what would be a good next line to get?   I do ok with the 3 french ones, but, suck with Visby, (not helping that her torps only do 6200).  Also, I noticed on ship info under your commander, (I'll use Visby for this), she only has 2x3 tubes = 6 torps total at a time, but the info says 9.....is that just a "stat" of some sort or is this like MWO were you have a 40rnd missile launcher, but the graphics only show 20 tubes and the extras just fly out after the first 20?

Thank you for any help!

War Kitten

If you are truly wanting to learn and get a proper taste of DD gameplay. You need to try using either American DDs or the Japanese Shimakaze Line DDs. Or both lines are good. UK DDs are good too, but little less forgiving for a player new to DD gameplay.

French DDs are like fast CLs that lack both smoke and decent AA so can get into trouble so easily. Not to mention they lack some of the finer points of playing as a DD.

Pan Asian DDs are too situational in how they play and an enemy DD will typically consider you a fun “snack to devour since your torpedoes can’t hurt other DDs. So in DD vs DD skirmishes it’s commonplace to launch torpedoes as an additional threat to your guns to either shake up the enemy DD of not sink them, but Pan Asian can be considered almost unarmed in such DD vs DD fights.

EU DDs lack smoke, have good AA, decent guns, super fast torpedoes, but they deal low damage.

Russian DDs just tend to be really weird and often are like a CL.

The greatest fun you can have in a DD is being able to do massive damage with torpedoes, sneaking around stealthily, having guns to back up those torpedoes, being at least reasonably fast, having smoke when needed. These are things the American, Japanese, and UK DDs have. And are what I consider the classical DDs of the game as they are well rounded and free of absurd gimmicks.

• Cool 1

[Y0L0W]
Members
448 posts
9,702 battles

For beginners, I always recommend either the British or American DD's as a starting point. Though atm the Brits are better suited for today's battles due to their fast reloading smokes. 

It also depends on whether you want a pure torp boat, a hybrid, or pure gunboat. The best lines for those would be IJN/Pan-eu, British, and French respectively.

• Cool 1

[CO-OP]
Members
3,384 posts
30,081 battles

The "9" is general rating of the torpedoes based on WGs fanciful rating scale.  By contrast the Jaguar (the French t5 DD) has a rating of 15.  Both of these lines are smokeless which makes them unique in their gameplay.  In general, the US line is probably the best "generalist" destroyer line.

If you don't mind waiting, in about a week and a half the Public Test Server will be active again and you can try out both lines (or other DD lines) and see which one suits you.

• Cool 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,713 posts
5,604 battles

I would suggest the US DD line for DD beginners. They start as nice gunboats with ok'ish torpedoes until T6, but with the exception of maybe Benson I enjoyed all of them. Don't be frustrated when you get to T7 though, as T7 DDs are in a rough spot MM wise since they usually have worse concealment than T8/9 (Mahan being particularly not-stealthy). Fletcher is really nice, Gearing feels more like a sidegrade than straight upgrade. Overall they might be a bit powercrept with all the new DD lines, but being the Jack-of-all-trade DDs they are nice to learn on.

RN DDs are also really fun but play a bit different due to the short-range, long-duration hydro and short-burst smoke, making them more DD hunters than anything else (at least at lower tiers). But boy, they just get better and better. I enjoyed every ship of the line, and Jutland and Daring are just awesome.

I have not continued my path down the IJN line, yet, being stuck with Hatsuharu and not looking forward to T7. Somehow this type of pure torpedo DD is not clicking with me, but I might come back to that. Similar with the IKEA boats where I am also stuck at T6. Maybe at some point I'll sink a ton of fXP or time in them.

Members
169 posts
16,653 battles

Play IJN DD's to get a deep lesson in torpedo play. Only once you are good at these try the EU DD's
Play USN DD's to learn knife fighting and hybrid D play, as well as the best fleet support smokes in the game.
Play UK DD to get lessons in capping, hybrid gameplay and hit and run play.

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
241 posts
13,172 battles

Another vote for US or UK as your first DD line.  Both are mainly gunboats with good torpedoes (though US torpedoes are rough early tier).  The IJN has both a torp and a gunboat line which are much more specialized which can be more challenging if you end up in a fight where you need the 'other' style more.  Another good, but different line is the EU line.  I've found that the line plays most comfortably as a full concealment Torp boat line, with the AA being very useful in the current meta.

Abbye

Members
4,671 posts
45,422 battles

Well, I can say I am no expert at choosing.

That depends on your chosen fighting style.

DDs is like Kung Fu. There are many styles.

But if you want to consult an expert, a DD God of sorts, and you watch Twitch, then there can be only one DD streamer that will tell you based on what you describe as your style. And while he might critique your game play and break it down until to you cry uncle, it's for your own good and he is right.

But be warned, he is like a Jedi master and Kung Fu one rolled in to one, but has no beard.

But when he is done with you, you will be gud. He is unbelievably modest, so don't bother with flattery. He has a sense of humor, you just have to look really hard.

He is very good at what he does and he is testing other ship types too. It's just DDs are his forte.

Just do me one favor and don't tell him I recommended him to you.

LOL

His name (drum 🥁 roll)

TMGrunty. You will find him on Twitch where BB players cry after he torps them. And CVs can't touch him. LOL

Yes he is that good. I am comfortable in my own game play to recognize a highly skilled player superior to myself. Because he is damn good.

Check him out. You won't regret it.

When I play Randoms, I pucker up if he is on red.  He is dangerous. Forget Flamu. Sure Flambass is well flamboyant. But even the terminator would dump his shorts if TMGrunty is lurking about in his DD.

So don't waste anymore time, go check him out. You can thank him not me.

😏😎

[FML]
Members
4,163 posts
16,121 battles
6 hours ago, WarKitten_1 said:

Greetings All,

Thank you for any help!

War Kitten

Tank - Submarine.png

Hi!

You may be interested in my Ship Role Quick Reference Guide to see some tech tree lines that player similarly to, or different from, the French DD.  Hope that helps! :)

Let us know what you pick!

Sign in to follow this