You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
cplchanb

Buff BB close quarter damage on DDs

19 comments in this topic

[J_R]
Members
27 posts
4,648 battles

Have you ever captained a BB and a DD pulls up within 6km of you or it jumps from behind an island point blank? You used to be able to punish them for that mistake but now you can unload a full broadside at them and theyll just shake it off and dump  salvo of torps at you and kill you.

WG needs to address this. As a BB player since the beta days this is one of the biggest frustrating changes theyve made. DDs need to be punished for travelling too close and revealing their broadside. Even if its not a full citadel, at least half damage or flooding or allow BB secondaries to do the same damage as DD main guns since theyre the same weapon essentially. Its impossible even on arcade physics to honestly allow DDs to shrug off a full broadside by a BB and have 2/3 health remaining. Lets give us BB players an incentive to play again instead of just flooding the server with fake ships and broken pro DD physics

• Meh 4

[HINON]
Members
14,212 posts

If a dd ambushes you successfully, that is on you for lack of situational awareness. 

• Cool 4

[STURM]
Members
737 posts
6,194 battles

Calling a DD (agile, fast, but with weapons best at a shorter range) ambushing a BB (slow, cumbersome, with unwieldy long ranged weapons) a mistake by the DD is frankly backwards.

If they manage to sneak up on a BB, they deserve the dev strike medal they are about to get.

• Cool 1

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
30 minutes ago, cplchanb said:

Have you ever captained a BB and a DD pulls up within 6km of you or it jumps from behind an island point blank? You used to be able to punish them for that mistake but now you can unload a full broadside at them and theyll just shake it off and dump  salvo of torps at you and kill you.

WG needs to address this. As a BB player since the beta days this is one of the biggest frustrating changes theyve made. DDs need to be punished for travelling too close and revealing their broadside. Even if its not a full citadel, at least half damage or flooding or allow BB secondaries to do the same damage as DD main guns since theyre the same weapon essentially. Its impossible even on arcade physics to honestly allow DDs to shrug off a full broadside by a BB and have 2/3 health remaining. Lets give us BB players an incentive to play again instead of just flooding the server with fake ships and broken pro DD physics

Hey if you want a battle cry for this, tag my drive by deletion video,i crush you slow chubbies ,lol... check it out. my youtube channel is Meta_Man2002 "drive by deletion" baby

Members
3,792 posts
23,987 battles
40 minutes ago, cplchanb said:

But it's okay for a BB to still live after eating 4-6+ torps? How often do you don't hear DDs whining about that impossibility - never.

[HINON]
Members
8,997 posts
13,152 battles

as a BB player, this player does not speak for all of us, in fact, the BB players like him are not welcome in the BBrotherhood of WOWS, they are the black sheep, the outcasts, the unworthy in the eyes of the true BB players, AKA the ones that arent afraid of getting paint scratched or having a DD ambush us when they played right

• Funny 1

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
2 hours ago, cplchanb said:

Are you using using Basic Fire Training, Advanced Fire Training, and secondary gun signal flags? Doing these things at minimum will greatly increase secondary gun output and range against all ships including DDs.

You can then take this even farther by using secondary gun range module, Manual secondary gun captain skill, and even the secondary gun rate of fire module if your in tiers 9-10 on that final module.

So the point I am making here is if secondary gun damage to DDs is your greatest concern in battles, there are options for you to greatly increase the effectiveness of your secondary guns and give you better piece of mind. And as added bonus to secondary gun builds, you also gain a lot stronger AA.

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
31 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

You want to buff my Georgia? 

smile.gif

Georgia nothing, if they did across the board secondary gun buffs I might have to laugh hysterically when my Shikishima secondary guns were to get buffed... :cap_haloween: ( Shikishima has turned into an epic secondary gunship, that when compared to GK the Shikishima beats it’s secondary performance in every category, except it is tied with GK in secondary range and the close in armor can be more vulnerable than GK.) 

Not to mention ships like Bismarck lol.

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
2 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Are you using using Basic Fire Training, Advanced Fire Training, and secondary gun signal flags? Doing these things at minimum will greatly increase secondary gun output and range against all ships including DDs.

You can then take this even farther by using secondary gun range module, Manual secondary gun captain skill, and even the secondary gun rate of fire module if your in tiers 9-10 on that final module.

So the point I am making here is if secondary gun damage to DDs is your greatest concern in battles, there are options for you to greatly increase the effectiveness of your secondary guns and give you better piece of mind. And as added bonus to secondary gun builds, you also gain a lot stronger AA.

On top of all that if you are really concerned dds are broken use RPF so you are not blindsided.... There are ways to avoid dds, cvs, fire damage.... BBs and other ship types just would rather use their captain puts in other avenues.... You had great points, I just added a few. 

Edited by Meta_Man

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
46 minutes ago, Meta_Man said:

On top of all that if you are really concerned dds are broken use RPF so you are not blindsided.... There are ways to avoid dds, cvs, fire damage.... BBs and other ship types just would rather use their captain puts in other avenues.... You had great points, I just added a few. 

If you do a full blown secondary gun build you actually don’t have enough room to fit RPF into the captain. RPF is more useful in certain survival builds or something. I personally have never favored RPF as I can usually figure out where ships are without it,. Plus RPF can backfire on the user if enemy knows how to reverse track an RPF ship as RPF is not that commonly used so odds are only 1 enemy ship has it. And it’s particularly easy to triangulate the RPF ship if 2 or more allied ships use chat to report on who is detected and based on the changing detections you can narrow down pretty much exactly where the RPF user is, even more precisely that any RPF data the RPF gives the user.

So I not only consider RPF largely not that useful for the skill points it takes up, but actually a very dangerous skill to try and use especially on a stealthy DD as you can’t turn the skill on and off. It can be like shooting off a flare announcing you are about to stealth attack somebody if they suddenly get RPF detected thanks to your having that skill in your ship.

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
8 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If you do a full blown secondary gun build you actually don’t have enough room to fit RPF into the captain. RPF is more useful in certain survival builds or something. I personally have never favored RPF as I can usually figure out where ships are without it,. Plus RPF can backfire on the user if enemy knows how to reverse track an RPF ship as RPF is not that commonly used so odds are only 1 enemy ship has it. And it’s particularly easy to triangulate the RPF ship if 2 or more allied ships use chat to report on who is detected and based on the changing detections you can narrow down pretty much exactly where the RPF user is, even more precisely that any RPF data the RPF gives the user.

So I not only consider RPF largely not that useful for the skill points it takes up, but actually a very dangerous skill to try and use especially on a stealthy DD as you can’t turn the skill on and off. It can be like shooting off a flare announcing you are about to stealth attack somebody if they suddenly get RPF detected thanks to your having that skill in your ship.

That's the beauty of the captain points system, there is enough for all of us to like a different style of play.... I use RPF on alot of ships. I even use it on my Alabama, Alaska shared captain. You have a a strategy, I have a strategy...... My Le Terrible that I post alot of videos on uses RPF, I'm very aggressive in her and I'm attacking alot.... I'm not saying my way is better, just that my way works for me...... The point of the previous post was to say we can setup a BB to see dds if they really wanted to.. And like you said I can triangulate where a dd is if they have it on.... The give you an example, say I'm in my LT and a dd is sneaking up or spotting me and I know he is alone. I can hunt him with ease, I have the speed to run him down.... I mainly use it to run down dds or to not be surprised... If you see my videos YouTube Meta_man2002 you'd see I usually get the first maybe first 2 salvos off.... Not trying to change your mind just pointing out how I use it. 

Edited by Meta_Man

[META_]
[META_]
Members
1,306 posts
15 hours ago, cplchanb said:

That is why many matchs are played in the back... cause of DDs... I can just jump full speed ahead hen there is no DD near me... If a BB needs buff would be in torp protection, but that would disable DDs.

There are many players complaining about BBs at back. Many games are beeing lost causa of that... No caps for fear of DDs.

Members
12,614 posts
14,320 battles
4 hours ago, Meta_Man said:

That's the beauty of the captain points system, there is enough for all of us to like a different style of play.... I use RPF on alot of ships. I even use it on my Alabama, Alaska shared captain. You have a a strategy, I have a strategy...... My Le Terrible that I post alot of videos on uses RPF, I'm very aggressive in her and I'm attacking alot.... I'm not saying my way is better, just that my way works for me...... The point of the previous post was to say we can setup a BB to see dds if they really wanted to.. And like you said I can triangulate where a dd is if they have it on.... The give you an example, say I'm in my LT and a dd is sneaking up or spotting me and I know he is alone. I can hunt him with ease, I have the speed to run him down.... I mainly use it to run down dds or to not be surprised... If you see my videos YouTube Meta_man2002 you'd see I usually get the first maybe first 2 salvos off.... Not trying to change your mind just pointing out how I use it. 

I agree that it is good to have different view points and play styles. RPF can be useful for those that know how to use it, and not everyone knows how to reverse trace the ROF user like I do. But since I do know some tricks on figuring out how to use a player’s RPF against them I have to assume others will know as well.

But with what seems to be your play style of favoring bolder less stealthy ships you can make good use of RPF. Where as I am more prone to favor the use of stealthy torpedo boat DDs, IJN CAs, and even being able to ambush with German CAs. So it’s a matter of retaining my stealth and giving the enemy targets as little warning as possible. :Smile_honoring:

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
48 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

I agree that it is good to have different view points and play styles. RPF can be useful for those that know how to use it, and not everyone knows how to reverse trace the ROF user like I do. But since I do know some tricks on figuring out how to use a player’s RPF against them I have to assume others will know as well.

But with what seems to be your play style of favoring bolder less stealthy ships you can make good use of RPF. Where as I am more prone to favor the use of stealthy torpedo boat DDs, IJN CAs, and even being able to ambush with German CAs. So it’s a matter of retaining my stealth and giving the enemy targets as little warning as possible. :Smile_honoring:

Exactly, 2 different styles... I'm sure we both win with those styles..... A lot play the French dds as farmers.. I play them as killers and capper. Lol.... Happy hunting Captain 😎 

[META_]
Members
1,829 posts
18,967 battles
On 8/3/2020 at 2:15 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

You've hit the nail on the head with RPF but there is another trick I use when I have and don't have the RPF to trick the red team.... It turns into  a cat and mouse game.... I'll explain the trick in a video, it's too much typing to get it all here but use it all the time to trick people 😉

[J_R]
Members
27 posts
4,648 battles
18 hours ago, Shrayes_Bhagavatula said:

Ambushed by a DD in a BB.

Well, that looks like YOUR fault!

-Shrayes

I am speaking on the contrary. I ambushed a DD in my NC and unloaded a broadside into it at 5km. It only took 1/2 damage from full and then proceeded to kill me with a wonderful wave of torps. So are you saying if I see a DD and ambush it Im not allowed to beat it and that a bb must bend over and be shamed when a bb and dd face off for whatever reason? Doesnt matter on the build, if the bb cant sink the dd on the first salvo they are more or less dead or close to dead if the dd launches their wave of torps. The DD can then proceed to hide in smoke.  What about lower tiered BBs where they have weak secondaries? Even if they have a  BFT/AFT secondary build that does nothing against torps at their tiers. The style of play is too linear these days where everyone is converging on the same playstyle.

All I'm saying is give BBs especially ones without a good secondary a chance against these tiny tugboats when engaged in close quarters. Weve already been virtually neutered against cruisers CQB.

[LSNB]
[LSNB]
Members
291 posts
7,369 battles
2 hours ago, cplchanb said:

I am speaking on the contrary. I ambushed a DD in my NC and unloaded a broadside into it at 5km. It only took 1/2 damage from full and then proceeded to kill me with a wonderful wave of torps. So are you saying if I see a DD and ambush it Im not allowed to beat it and that a bb must bend over and be shamed when a bb and dd face off for whatever reason? Doesnt matter on the build, if the bb cant sink the dd on the first salvo they are more or less dead or close to dead if the dd launches their wave of torps. The DD can then proceed to hide in smoke.  What about lower tiered BBs where they have weak secondaries? Even if they have a  BFT/AFT secondary build that does nothing against torps at their tiers. The style of play is too linear these days where everyone is converging on the same playstyle.

All I'm saying is give BBs especially ones without a good secondary a chance against these tiny tugboats when engaged in close quarters. Weve already been virtually neutered against cruisers CQB.

First there are plenty of counterplay options for BBs against DDs.
If you know you are about to ambush a DD... 
USE HE SHELLS you will very likely chunk them for massive damage, if not destroy them outright. Your secondaries should do the rest.
Second...
HAVE SUPPORT
The 3 surface classes in this game all have favorable and unfavorable matchups depending on the situation. Ambushing a cornered DD in a BB is an UNFAVORABLE MATCHUP for the BB. You NEED support. Having just one friendly cruiser nearby. Can massively tip the situation in your favor.

DDs have the smallest HP pools in the game, and their guns are unsuitable for farming large amounts of damage from larger ships. They have deadly torpedoes and good stealth to make up for this. Learn how they play, and you will better understand how to play against them.