Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 20 battles to post in this section.
___BIGGLES___

Optimal Des Moines Build?

17 comments in this topic

[UNHLY]
Members
5,030 posts
14,137 battles

My build:

Captain: PT AR SI CE for the first 10 points, then EM RL JoaT in whatever order you want (I’d probably go with JoaT first and EM last), and finally EL. I’m using Halsey with improved EM and EL but the build would be the same with a normal captain. If you’re not planning on using DM in any competitive mode, you could swap RL for DE and PM, but personally I’d still keep it for the extra knowledge it provides. 

Modules: Main battery, engine room or coal radar mod, aiming systems, prop or steering, concealment, UU or reload. If you’re going for a full UU build, definitely take propulsion in slot 4. If you don’t have the UU and are using reload, either option works and is really up to you whether you want to hug islands and pop in and out if cover or open water dodge. I’d still go with propulsion either way since it lets you island ambush and throttle juking is typically more effective against most players that rudder dodging but you may prefer more rudder agility. 

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
30,867 posts
25,982 battles

For the love of all things good do not do Spotter Plane Des Moines.  You are depriving your team of one of the best Radar Cruisers in the game.

• Cool 1

[EGO]
Members
28 posts
7,208 battles
3 minutes ago, n5bar said:

Sorry, UU?

Unique Upgrade, for Des Moines it gives these benefits for being in slot 6 once you get it from the research bureau :

Reduces the rudder shift time, as well as the time needed to reach full speed when accelerating.

• –50% to time taken to reach full speed when accelerating.
  • –20% to rudder shift time.

[LF]
Members
265 posts
6 minutes ago, M4A1_SD said:

Unique Upgrade, for Des Moines it gives these benefits for being in slot 6 once you get it from the research bureau :

Reduces the rudder shift time, as well as the time needed to reach full speed when accelerating.

• –50% to time taken to reach full speed when accelerating.
  • –20% to rudder shift time.

Thank you! I thought maybe that was the case.

Question about it: I currently have Gunfire Control System Mod 2 selected which gives me 16% greater range (18.4km). If I switch it out for the UU, I will lose 16% range which I calculate will set me back to only 15.46km range. Do those of you who have the UU selected really live with that range or is there a way around it?  I earned the UU on the DM but have never used it for that reason.

[MHG]
Members
456 posts
22,886 battles
2 minutes ago, n5bar said:

Question about it: I currently have Gunfire Control System Mod 2 selected which gives me 16% greater range (18.4km). If I switch it out for the UU, I will lose 16% range which I calculate will set me back to only 15.46km range. Do those of you who have the UU selected really live with that range or is there a way around it?  I earned the UU on the DM but have never used it for that reason.

I got the UU, but found it very uncomfortable to play myself and ended up using doubloons to demount it and and went for the range mod. Makes life so much easier now.

[SCK]
Members
195 posts
24,827 battles

The UU use to make the ship OP...… until it was nerfed. Or so I heard. I'd say the mod range is the way to go if you aren't planning on ever using the UU. If the UU is something you'd like, then reload for now so you don't get use to playing the ship at range. 

[EGO]
Members
28 posts
7,208 battles
18 minutes ago, n5bar said:

I would use GFCS Mod 2 if you're going to be staying at range with Des Moines regardless. I use the UU to juke shells easier, kite more effectively and speed up quickly when I need to push. It completely depends on how you play Des Moines as even with only 15.8km range you can be effective without the UU, it just takes time to adjust to getting yourself into good positions where your stock range is good. 

• Cool 1

[TIMT]
Members
1,708 posts
5,591 battles

I don't have the UU for Des Moines, so I tried both reload and range mods on her. So far I have been sticking with reload, but both are viable though have different pros and cons:

Range: lets you farm BBs way further out, and also allows you to take shots at CAs at long range, so there is that. 15.8km range is a bit anemic so you can definitely improve your damage output with that. However, the slow shell velocity make it hard to hit anything beyond 16km anyway (except it is stationary) and the biggest downside is your penalty to concealment as this increases accordingly to max firing range. So when you are parked behind an island or use one to break line-of-sight with the target to avoid retaliation you have to be much more careful about getting spotted through other angles.

Reload: Well, more dakka. Nice, not that you needed it but why not take it. The gun traverse becomes slower which can be an issue in close quarters though. Honestly, you might even save the credits and go without it.

Overall, it really depends on the playstyle and what you are more comfortable with. I got used to the shorter range and when the time comes and I have the UU I'll probably switch to that. Were it not for the penalty in concealment when firing with the range mod (had a few nasty surprises when firing from behind islands thinking I was safe from spotting... I wasn't, and I also wasn't afloat much longer, too) I would take range.

Members
759 posts
10,621 battles

image.thumb.png.359dccd92ab872bd8e68cc30bedde595.png

image.png.7b3d90146a4572692462c672294de206.png

Pretty standard Des Moines build. If you don't have Halsey John Doe is also good. I used reload before I got the legendary upgrade but some people will tell you to use range; personally the range upgrade wouldn't be very useful for how I play the Des Moines. If you want RPF you could drop SE and DE but I don't think RPF is necessary in random battles.

Edited by WernerHerzdog

[-EXE-]
Members
22 posts
2,923 battles

Thanks for the replies! I just got the UU yesterday and haven't had a chance to see if I like it. I'm not the greatest sniper, so not sure if the spotter plane build would work for me. Are any of the torpedo detection options good for this ship?

Members
134 posts
2,434 battles

Purchased the Des Moines today.

So i need the research bureau to buy the UU?

Therefore i need to have 4 line at 10 and reset them?

[KIA-T]
Members
121 posts
17,421 battles
18 minutes ago, Ghostar_1 said:

Purchased the Des Moines today.

So i need the research bureau to buy the UU?

Therefore i need to have 4 line at 10 and reset them?

You need at least 5 tech tree T10 to unlock the RB and 19.2k RB points to buy any UU. (you get 10K RB points when you unlock the RB)

Edited by Sebazul11

Members
759 posts
10,621 battles
6 hours ago, ___BIGGLES___ said:

Thanks for the replies! I just got the UU yesterday and haven't had a chance to see if I like it. I'm not the greatest sniper, so not sure if the spotter plane build would work for me. Are any of the torpedo detection options good for this ship?

You might as well use hydro since DF is useless

Sign in to follow this